• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I don't even think there's a game to make a game specific direct out of.

I mean there can't be much more to show about even Pokemon Let's Go and that comes out in what? A week?

And a general direct would have to focus on 2019 onward.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Before their respective reconfirmations, we were expecting Skull Kid, Impa, Midna, Ghirahim or even pig Ganon to be our next Zelda Rep. Never did it cross any of our minds who the true new LoZ fighter should be. This is a character who is recognizable, recurring, and is one I'm sure Sakurai could easily come up with a fun and creative move set for.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Before their respective reconfirmations, we were expecting Skull Kid, Impa, Midna, Ghirahim or even pig Ganon to be our next Zelda Rep. Never did it cross any of our minds who the true new LoZ fighter should be. This is a character who is recognizable, recurring, and is one I'm sure Sakurai could easily come up with a fun and creative move set for.
Pft that's amateur hour.

When's Deku Shrub for Smash?

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
We know some of the likely DLC contenders, but what are everyone's dream choices? I don't expect to get more than one of these, but a girl can dream.

Sora/ Geno/ Crono - Either would be perfection
Dixie
A champion from BOTW
Banjo-Kazooie
Amaterasu

Calane

Smash Ace
This is random, but I think I know who the greatest, completely out of left field character would be.

Uniracer

297twist.gif

It would be amazing just for the music alone.

(I'm probably the only one here who remembers this game.)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Never thought how much I wanted to play as a Deku Baba until Piranha Plant showed me the light.
Echo fighter when? It can use the pots from the Zelda series to move around, use those spike ball eye enemies from Wind Waker as the spike ball and that Diababa boss from Twilight Princess could be a good substitute to Petey Piranha for the Final Smash.

Good ol' Sakurai, always knowing exactly what we didn't know what we wanted. :teeth:

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I still believe in Shantae as DLC, being a Spirit doesn´t deconfirm, if anything, it makes me hopeful
Nah she's deconfirmed. Yesterday Shantae's creator tweeted about campaigning to get her in as dlc but the characters have already been chosen :estatic:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
This is random, but I think I know who the greatest, completely out of left field character would be.

Uniracer

View attachment 175887

It would be amazing just for the music alone.

(I'm probably the only one here who remembers this game.)
I don't think Nintendo wants to be sued by Pixar again.
Or alternatively

Finally, a character from Sucker Punch in Smash.

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord
Never thought how much I wanted to play as a Deku Baba until Piranha Plant showed me the light.
Echo fighter when? It can use the pots from the Zelda series to move around with and that Diababa boss from Twilight Princess could be a good substitute to Petey Piranha for the Final Smash.

Good ol' Sakurai, always knowing exactly what we didn't know what we wanted. :teeth:
I'd be completely happy with a Deku Baba as a playable character.
Anything besides yet another form of Link, Zelda, or Ganondorf.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Well, he seems pretty confident it's Sora, but Nonspecificguy went on that pretty convincing rant about why that's never gonna happen...

Hmmmm...

Well, it doesn't concern me. If SW's right, I get Sora and if he's wrong, I get one of my other wanted SE characters, Neku, 2B, Lara Croft, Erdrick, Chrono, or hell maybe even Tiz.
I still somewhat doubt NonSpecificGuy's argument. It might be fan bias and I wholeheartedly acknowledge that, but there's one point I stated that makes me believe even if Disney is hesitant it could happen:
Additionally, there has been a precedent of Disney respecting Square Enix when it comes to Kingdom Hearts. See the cancelled 2002 Kingdom Hearts cartoon, which was cancelled "so as to not jeopardize the relationship between Square Enix & Disney as they began to expand the franchise." We can assume that a similar occurrence happened with Kingdom Hearts Fragmented Keys, though I don't have a direct source saying this (I could've sworn someone said the game was cancelled because Square Enix didn't think it was good enough).
If Sakurai/Nintendo have Normura/Square Enix at their side during negotiations, I would give them a much better chance of coming out with Sora. Sakurai is good friends with Normura after they worked together on Cloud in Sm4sh, so I could easily see this happening. Disney respects Square Enix's input in regards to Kingdom Hearts, and if they want Sora in Smash, then Sora will likely be in Smash. Nintendo and Disney also have a pretty good relationship for what its worth, and they have worked together in the past, so it's not like Nintendo is approaching them with no rep.

I also personally doubt the portrayal of Disney corporate as a big old fun police, and I believe that they'd be able to bend just a little bit for Smash Bros. It's a big deal within the industry, and I'm sure Disney recognizes that.

If Sora does get in, I definitely want to hear about how licensing him went. Watch it be as simple as "We went to Normura and he agreed, and negotiations with Disney went easy!" and all this speculation will have been for nothing.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Going to throw my hat into the ring as to the identify of the 7 Vergeben's been hearing.

This is entirely speculation on my part:

Erdrick, Sora, Geno, Slime, Noctis are the obvious 5 which I'm almost 100% sure that are on his list.

I also think Crono could be there, along with 'maybe' Agnes or Jade, though I know little of those. Maaaaaaaaaaaybe 2B?

His comment about Geno though of Square "Not caring" if he's on a leak really makes me question though if he's one of "The 3" Verge has confidence in or not.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I can't believe some people are still moaning about not getting characters in base

Pretty much everyone wanted Ridley and King K Rool, and we had everyone from previous games get in

It can't get much better than this
I know I shouldn't, but whatever.

What about the people who don't really care all that much about Ridley and K. Rool?* There are people who don't really care all that much about any of the newcomers who were shown in the Base game. (*example: Japanese fans on the whole don't care about Ridley, he's a character that mostly appeals to Americans)

It's very self-centered to assume that getting what you want is enough to make everyone happy.

To go full-disclosure mode: Isaac was the one character I wanted, moreso than any other; and I didn't get him (except in the form of an Assist Trophy). None of the Newcomers we got can even remotely compare to Isaac for me.

For me personally, I'd have rather gotten Isaac than Ridley, but then that would deprive Ridley's fans of their most-wanted character.
Before anyone says anything, it's not like I'm not going to buy the game, it's still going to be among the best Smash Bros. games, even without my No. 1.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The irony is Incineroar is fighter 69..... and google translate does THAT.
Some of the other names are good too. Pichu translates to Peach, where Peach is Pitch Princess. Pit becomes feet, and Dark Pit becomes Black Pete.

Dutch is fun too. Chrom becomes Chrome. It comes full circle.

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
I still think the Dee is gonna make it. I firmly believe the flavor text in Kirby Star Allies is most likely talking about Smash, which wouldn't be unlikely considering KSA was released around the time Smash Ultimate was teased and DLC characters are implied to already be chosen during the game's development. During that time period, the only game Dee was playable in was in Rainbow Curse and didn't have this description, probably because Dee wasn't confirmed for Smash (assuming the flavor text is talking about Smash). Kirby Star Allies is the only other game where BWD is given a flavor text and that's the time when Ultimate's DLC was decided, so I'm confident that the flavor leak is talking about Smash, though this could be my bias talking if anything.

NineS

Smash Lord
It's a little painful to see everyone talking about Square Enix so often now, and so freely, yet here I am resisting the urge to go insane and begin clamoring for 2B, using conspiracy theory-level assumptions to say it's 2B.

Assuming this Square Enix rep is shown off as early as Dec. 6, and Sakurai really isn't accepting characters from after early 2016, I'm hoping it's the Slime just for the nostalgia I hold for it and the franchise it's from. If not, I somewhat hope it's Geno just to appease the large fan-base he's garnered in the Smash Community globally. Regardless of who it is, I'll be happy either way, especially if it's Sora. I'm buying the Fighter's pass anyway,

Though, something to note is that Vergeben has a list and he's checking it twice. He's stated that his sources have outright stated that some of the 7 characters he's been told are not the one. How many out of the 7 aren't it, and which, however, he hasn't stated. There's a chance more of his sources will come forward to him and continue to narrow down the list of who it could be before we even hear the official announcement.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

What about the people who don't really care all that much about Ridley and K. Rool?* There are people who don't really care all that much about any of the newcomers who were shown in the Base game. (*example: Japanese fans on the whole don't care about Ridley, he's a character that mostly appeals to Americans)

It's very self-centered to assume that getting what you want is enough to make everyone happy.

To go full-disclosure mode: Isaac was the one character I wanted, moreso than any other; and I didn't get him (except in the form of an Assist Trophy). None of the Newcomers we got can even remotely compare to Isaac for me.

For me personally, I'd have rather gotten Isaac than Ridley, but then that would deprive Ridley's fans of their most-wanted character.
Before anyone says anything, it's not like I'm not going to buy the game, it's still going to be among the best Smash Bros. games, even without my No. 1.
Exactly
Ugh, if I could just...
phase out posts that discredited people's opinions and generalize people into an easily attack-able strawman, that'd be nice.

I really hate this culture I've seen develop around games and especially Smash as a whole of demanding mandatory happiness from everyone.
No one's allowed to critique games or be even remotely disappointed nowadays without having personal attacks on their character or criticisms deflected with non-sequitur deflections.
Disappointed Jack Frost.jpg

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
It's a little painful to see everyone talking about Square Enix so often now, and so freely, yet here I am resisting the urge to go insane and begin clamoring for 2B, using conspiracy theory-level assumptions to say it's 2B.

Assuming this Square Enix rep is shown off as early as Dec. 6, and Sakurai really isn't accepting characters from after early 2016, I'm hoping it's the Slime just for the nostalgia I hold for it and the franchise it's from. If not, I somewhat hope it's Geno just to appease the large fan-base he's garnered in the Smash Community globally. Regardless of who it is, I'll be happy either way, especially if it's Sora. I'm buying the Fighter's pass anyway,

Though, something to note is that Vergeben has a list and he's checking it twice. He's stated that his sources have outright stated that some of the 7 characters he's been told are not the one. How many out of the 7 aren't it, and which, however, he hasn't stated. There's a chance more of his sources will come forward to him and continue to narrow down the list of who it could be before we even hear the official announcement.
My question then if he knows some of his names are "Not the One", why does he keep them on the list?

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
I can't believe some people are still moaning about not getting characters in base

Pretty much everyone wanted Ridley and King K Rool, and we had everyone from previous games get in

It can't get much better than this
and if you dont care about ridely or k rool, what then i guess those people are sol.

NineS

Smash Lord
My question then if he knows some of his names are "Not the One", why does he keep them on the list?
I wish I knew. He said 3 names were commonly re-occuring, and a few were told by multiple of his sources to not be the character.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77160319?jumpto=81#81
As you can see, he didn't elaborate at all on anything. It would've helped he he said how many of the 7 aren't the one, but if I had to assume due to the fact he said 3 were re-occurring names, I'd assume that 4 out of the 7 at most he knows are not the character.

User was warned for this post; trolling(Don't reply to posts that were literally over 50 pages back)
We know some of the likely DLC contenders, but what are everyone's dream choices?
Banjo-Kazooie
Scorpion (Mortal Kombat)
Rash (Battletoads)
Crash Bandicoot
Rayman

Ehhhhhhhhhhh I doubt K.Rool was that big in the 90's. Especially as it's a fact that a lot of people didn't beat DKC back then too. Maybe Dedede fits that, idk. Ridley doesn't despite Super Metroid's legendary status though cause that **** flopped iirc
Do you have any statistics to back up that fact?

Didn't think so.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
The irony is Incineroar is fighter 69..... and google translate does THAT.
I think I can explain why Incineroar's Google Translated Korean name is the way it is.

Incineroar's Korean name is a transliteration of "Gaogaen" (the English name is very similar as well, more similar than most translated Pokémon names, actually).

"Gao" is the Japanese onomatopoeia for "Roar", while "Gaen" is an alternate form of "Kaen", meaning "Flame".

The... E-word (not sure if it's allowed here but it's better to err on the side of caution) isn't just a sexual term, it can be used for any sudden ejection, including noise* (like a roar for instance, Google also provides "Boo Salt" as an alternative translation). Salt is a little less clear, but I assume it's got something to do with Alchemical Salt, though why it would make that connection is beyond me since I don't know Korean.

*both Sherlock Holmes and Harry Potter have used this meaning, for the record.

Last edited:

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774

Exactly
Ugh, if I could just...
phase out posts that discredited people's opinions and generalize people into an easily attack-able strawman, that'd be nice.

I really hate this culture I've seen develop around games and especially Smash as a whole of demanding mandatory happiness from everyone.
No one's allowed to critique games or be even remotely disappointed nowadays without having personal attacks on their character or criticisms deflected with non-sequitur deflections.
View attachment 175891
Would it be possible though to please anyone ? I can't imagine the huge amount of work required to create all most beloved and wanted character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom