• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I disagree, I believe Piranha Plant was made to be a bonus character to help push sales a bit more because "YOU CAN GET IT FOR FREE!" as a limited time bonus. Doing that with a character people actually want would make people feel they're being forced to buy it quickly to get what they want but as it's just a Piranha Plant people see this is just a bonus that's nice to have. See Tira in Soul Calibur 6 for what I mean with people being unhappy at a popular character being the bonus to push sales (granted there's more to Tira's controversy than that)
Ok but what about Endeavor as a Pre-order bonus? :^)

D

Deleted member

If Megaman, Richter and Simon Belmont, K.Rool and Lucas were able to get in, i don’t see why both Steve and Banjo can’t.

Remember when people thought Megaman was done forever? Or how Bomberman was gone unless he got in Smash?

I’m sorry: i find Steve joining as a fighter fine... But he doesn’t kill Banjo’s chances at all. In fact, i feel like Steve getting in makes Banjo more likely in the future.

Geno i agree is less likely, because he was a party member of a Mario RPG title, who are known for only appearing in their respective titles besides some possible cameos.

Banjo, however, is different. If Steve gets in, he has more chances of appearing in.

Beatrice

Smash Cadet
And so the cycle of people thinking they have figured out the Sakurai Formula, ultimately leading to disappointment, continues.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I personally think people are sleeping on Lara Croft's chances of being the Square Enix rep. I still feel like Sora is probably the most likely, but his problem comes from being attached to Disney. I don't really see a Dragon Quest rep happening, and Geno seems to have missed his chance.
Maybe, but Lara does lack something that the others have: fan demand. Don't get me wrong, Lara Croft is arguably their biggest character within the company itself, but her support was pretty non-existent in the past. Sora always had admirers, and being the most recent/upcoming release it bodes well for him. Geno lacks relevance and Lara lacks (a large) demand. Sora has BOTH.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
I think you're too blind with love for Roy to realize why I said that. The argument I said that in was because a guy said "Bandana Dee is just a regular mook and can't be in Smash, Piranha Plant doesn't count because I said so". Roy, by all means, wasn't an All Star and is only popular because of Smash, which is why I used him as an example then. Same with Snake, and I LOVE Snake
EDIT: Holy **** people didn't post for 3 minutes? ****ing wild that I managed to double post here
you misinterpreted what i said. i was being sarcastic. I heavily don't like roy's inclusion in smash. he's low on the list of FE characters i'd like and additionally his mechnic is dumb as hell. there are two assist trophies from FE i'd prefer.

think was all a big misunderstanding. my bad dude.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I just noticed for that both singles and doubles at the Spanish invitational, :ultdaisy: won. I don't even want to think of she of all characters pulled that off. Well, the player's good.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Maybe, but Lara does lack something that the others have: fan demand. Don't get me wrong, Lara Croft is arguably their biggest character within the company itself, but her support was pretty non-existent in the past. Sora always had admirers, and being the most recent/upcoming release it bodes well for him. Geno lacks relevance and Lara lacks (a large) demand. Sora has BOTH.
*cough* I want Lara in Smash far more than I want Sora. *cough*

Lara's problem with fan demand is the very existence of the percieved rule against realistic guns that no character has seemingly crushed. If you get a realistic gun in Smash?

You'll see fan demand for her will shoot up. It's just...we're all kind of in hiding.

Beatrice

Smash Cadet
I just noticed for that both singles and doubles at the Spanish invitational, :ultdaisy: won. I don't even want to think of she of all characters pulled that off. Well, the player's good.
The dude was a really good Daisey, but the fact that her final smash is totally busted definitely helped.

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
So why do we make up rules for how Sakurai chooses characters when it’s clear anything goes and he finds a way no matter how much legal hurdles something brings? I mean he brought snake back and everyone thought that was impossible, and we have cloud in the game, so Sora I wouldn’t even question how because I know he can negotiate well. As for Geno being irrelevant and not making enough DLC money, less we forget that Lucas was DLC last game and he’s not the most known or popular character of all time. If a character looks fun and interesting people will buy it. Lots of people even buy all of the fighters regardless, so they have the full roster, so no matter what they’re making good money off the DLC.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
you misinterpreted what i said. i was being sarcastic. I heavily don't like roy's inclusion in smash. he's low on the list of FE characters i'd like and additionally his mechnic is dumb as hell. there are two assist trophies from FE i'd prefer.

think was all a big misunderstanding. my bad dude.
Roy’s inclusion in Melee is far more egregious than Corrin’s in Sm4sh imo. Roy’s easily the least important FE character in Smash in terms of legacy, and both Lyn and Black Knight would be so much better in his spot. But here we are, so we deal with our boy cause he’s here to stay

Also if you’re a fan of Roy in Smash or FE then kudos to you cause I can’t bring myself to be

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Best Time Line DLC Characters

1) Geno
2) Banjo
3) Rayman
4) Crash
5) Agumon

Our Time Line

1) Geno
2) Lloyd
3) Ryu Hayabusa
4) Impa
5) Katalina

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
So why do we make up rules for how Sakurai chooses characters when it’s clear anything goes and he finds a way no matter how much legal hurdles something brings? I mean he brought snake back and everyone thought that was impossible, and we have cloud in the game, so Sora I wouldn’t even question how because I know he can negotiate well. As for Geno being irrelevant and not making enough DLC money, less we forget that Lucas was DLC last game and he’s not the most known or popular character of all time. If a character looks fun and interesting people will buy it. Lots of people even buy all of the fighters regardless, so they have the full roster, so no matter what they’re making good money off the DLC.
On the Lucas part: He is a veteran. Being a Smash veteran automatically gives you a large following, no matter what. That elevates his sale numbers.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I mean, Geno's a character who is so painfully minor, kind of popular in the hardcore Smash community and owned by an incredibly stingy company
Lucas was highly requested in Japan back in Brawl, is owned by Nintendo and by Smash 4 was a veteran, not to mention hardcore Nintendo fans as a whole want Mother 3 to be brought over. It's not exactly the same situation

D

Deleted member

Honestly I have no ****ing clue what's going on there as he isn't even officially revealed in Japan yet and is planned as a free update like Deku Shoot Style iirc
You do realize he's already out, right? Got released in Japan a week before the Western release
You can get him as DLC afterwards right. Right?
Yeah but why would you do that?

Heracr055

Smash Ace
I can’t believe people are actually resurrecting the “dead/irrelevant/obscure” argument even after K.Rool killed it.

And are we using the “3rd party franchise is extremely popular and iconic to gaming so it should be in Smash” excuse? In that case, let’s add a GTA character.
I think K. Rool getting in was more about getting more villain representation in (along with Ridley), which would have nothing to do with killing the irrelevant argument

D

Deleted member

I have explained many times how Microsoft can either get a general pack where Banjo is a fighter and Minecraft a stage (taking in mind that each pack doesn’t have to be about one single franchise to count, since Sakurai hasn’t said so), or just release a Banjo pack later to keep the detail (not rule at the moment) of each third party company having two franchises with playable fighters (not two fighters, two franchises) in the roster (Square is getting their second franchise with the SE rep that Vergeben talks about, and Namco is still on time of doing so too).

D

Deleted member

I think K. Rool getting in was more about getting more villain representation in (along with Ridley), which would have nothing to do with killing the irrelevant argument
K.Rool was literally because of the ballot can people please stop with this "villain representation" ****

beans

Smash Lord
You do realize he's already out, right? Got released in Japan a week before the Western release

Yeah but why would you do that?
Full Roster.
It's dumb that a character becomes impossible to get after a certain time period.
Also I would probaly trade him for Gentle or an Illegals rep.

LetterO

Smash Lord
King K. Rool got in because of fan demand. Sakurai himself said this. It had nothing to do with "more villain reps".

blackghost

Smash Champion
First time for everything. :smirk:

You say that as if high competitive players won't try out online. ZeRo and Mew2King for instance do it all the time. You also have these claims that have yet to be proven.

My scope is on how Elite battles specifically influence the game, not everything.

Because you're blind, you don't know what to buff if nobody is playing them. That's the entire point.

Yes. You got something wrong with that? Do you honestly believe a good chunk of people won't just use the top tier to climb up, and then do whatever once they actually reach it, assuming you're right and there's no going back down? :073:
citing zero and m2k is not indicative of what most people can or will do.

you didnt read my argument if characters in elite battles have a certain traits they will give characters not present similar traits. a few frame changes on DK and bowser made them relevant. same thing here.

if these players switch to another character upon reaching rank and then don't win at a high rate what have they proven? if these players win a lot with the so called low tier at high rank that character will get adjusted. fighting games are not card games. most people cant just switch character when playing against other elite players.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Trueness of the leak or not, the new Grinch movie comes out friday.. Just thought id say something about that.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Roy’s inclusion in Melee is far more egregious than Corrin’s in Sm4sh imo. Roy’s easily the least important FE character in Smash in terms of legacy, and both Lyn and Black Knight would be so much better in his spot. But here we are, so we deal with our boy cause he’s here to stay

Also if you’re a fan of Roy in Smash or FE then kudos to you cause I can’t bring myself to be
im not a fan of roy in the slightest. i thought i made that clear.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I can’t believe people are actually resurrecting the “dead/irrelevant/obscure” argument even after K.Rool killed it.

And are we using the “3rd party franchise is extremely popular and iconic to gaming so it should be in Smash” excuse? In that case, let’s add a GTA character.
K. Rool was a ballot choice. He's the only unique character that Sakurai has mentioned the ballot for. His numbers must have been astronomically high.

And no offense, but the big bad villain of Donkey Kong Country is much more memorable than Geno who appeared in a game that wasn't even available in Europe. He's fondly remembered for being one of the big 4 villains of Nintendo's early history alongside Bowser, Ridley, and Ganon(dorf).

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am still writing my thoughts on the Ultimate roster. It will also include my thoughts on who I think is going to be DLC. I am at over 13,000 words for this piece.

I am going to step back from speculation after this year. There is nothing really left for me to look forward to. Ultimate gave me most of what I had hoped for. The only significant character related hope I have left at this point is Dixie Kong and I am not optimistic about her DLC prospects (if Elma and Bandanna Dee do not have spirits in Ultimate, then I will take having a spirit as a de-confirmation for being DLC).

This could very well be the last major thing I ever write in regards to Smash Bros. speculation and analysis.

D

Deleted member

Full Roster.
It's dumb that a character becomes impossible to get after a certain time period.
Also I would probaly trade him for Gentle or an Illegals rep.
It was a joke because I literally couldn't care about Endeavor and his playstyle isn't even that unique when he's basically "Buff like all mighto but shoots fire like those two asshooes"
also, id love gentle but man is it gonna take a while for the anime to get there. I hope this game keeps getting sequels so we can have a roster of 108 characters by the time the series is finished

D

Deleted member

K.Rool was literally because of the ballot can people please stop with this "villain representation" ****
Are you still denying the "heroes vs. villains" theme after we got such a highly requested villain in Piranha Plant?

:4pacman:

StormC

Smash Hero
I think if Geno was gonna be in he would be in the base game, considering Sakurai wanted him before. Maybe Square blocked him. I can't see him as DLC.

D

Deleted member

I am still writing my thoughts on the Ultimate roster. It will also include my thoughts on who I think is going to be DLC. I am at over 13,000 words for this piece.
What the **** man I can't even write college assignments that long

ShadowGamer193

Smash Journeyman
Imo, Geno’s chances at DLC are lower than Isaac’s at this point. We know Square would want another big boi like Sora to be in alongside Cloud

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Who would you want from Konami?
Abstract Daddy to make everyone extremely uncomfortable.

Seriously though... anything Silenthill would be amazing, but that isn't going to happen. as for likely that aren't castlevania?
I still would love Bomberman, Goemon is pretty cool and would totally dig Zone of the Enders content. Contra content would be also very nostalgic.

Dandelionel

Smash Apprentice
I checked the tournament and she seems plenty strong. Strangely enough, no one played Peach, I hope that it's just that Daisy is new and fresh and not that Daisy is just a better Peach

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Imo, Geno’s chances at DLC are lower than Isaac’s at this point. We know Square would want another big boi like Sora to be in alongside Cloud
This. As I was saying before the last reveals, Geno is a hard sell as DLC (unless he had been the freebie), but a juggernaut from pretty much any other Square series will bring in the money.

StormC

Smash Hero
K. Rool was a ballot choice. He's the only unique character that Sakurai has mentioned the ballot for. His numbers must have been astronomically high.

And no offense, but the big bad villain of Donkey Kong Country is much more memorable than Geno who appeared in a game that wasn't even available in Europe. He's fondly remembered for being one of the big 4 villains of Nintendo's early history alongside Bowser, Ridley, and Ganon(dorf).
Agreed. I have always found comparisons between Geno and K. Rool completely disingenuous. The character was arguably the most visible of Nintendo's villains back during the 90s, after Bowser. I'm eagerly looking forward to his return to his home series.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom