• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I do not think banjo is our Microsoft dlc character. I love banjo, but he is so old. If we are trying to get more people buying smash, banjo would sell to the crowd that remembers him. Steve would sell to the new generation that may not have been smash fans from before.

We need to stop thinking with nostalgia.

For my man goemon. I want him as a spirit. He may never be playable, but seeing him in a relevant form and place will be great.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
People still think Nintendo will put a 90s character that a small group remembers over the second best selling game in history? Like jeez, I get it, yall have nostalgia, but apart from that Minecraft is more important in every way.
It’d be hella cool if both Steve and BK could be in, BK could just be a skin for Steve of Mii Fighter, but Neither Nintendo nor Microsoft would act like BK is more important than Minecraft and it deserves to be a fighter more.
As vocal as Smash fans have been, you just can't compare the two. If Sakurai has an opportunity to get a Microsoft character in this game, I'd probably tell him to shoot for Steve over Banjo too.

It's either a character who's a gaming icon to Nintendo fans, or a character who's a gaming icon to virtually anyone even slightly familiar with video games.

Troykv

Smash Master
As vocal as Smash fans have been, you just can't compare the two. If Sakurai has an opportunity to get a Microsoft character in this game, I'd probably tell him to shoot for Steve over Banjo too.

It's either a character who's a gaming icon to Nintendo fans, or a character who's a gaming icon to virtually anyone even slightly familiar with video games.
Poor Banjo; he's dead; and the best he would get is an Mii Costume (he'll most likely appear as a Spirit if Steve is a thing).

R O F L

Smash Ace
But this is smash bros. If this were Mario or Zelda or Kirby, then this would be fine, but this is a game about people fighting each other. I am not suppose to be hearing a sad song that won’t hype me up when I am playing with my friends and the energy in the room is intense. Brawl’s theme does a much better job hyping up while still incorporating sad elements.
The Lifelight theme is only for the adventure mode, not the main theme/title screen. The lyrics of the song reference the adventure mode and only the adventure mode, so i'm pretty confident that it isn't the main theme/title screen, just a variant of it.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Poor Banjo; he's dead; and the best he would get is an Mii Costume (he'll most likely appear as a Spirit if Steve is a thing).
I could totally see him being a spirit, and maybe a mii costume if we're lucky, but that's it

blackghost

Smash Champion
Hmm?
Why do I almost always wake up to people going back to the "Disney are corporate Nazi" argument?

You know that if he want Sora he just talk to Disney right? Not Pixar and Marvel. Just... Disney? They're different entity.

And Vergeben's silence on whenever Sora count as a Square-Enix Character since August when he's willing to answer every other questions is enough to tell us that he is in the list of 7 he have.

Jesus you guys manage to make it way more complicated than possible every time I leave, as if it was your guilty pleasure to antagonize Disney.

If there a KH deal it's with Square-Enix and Disney.
If Nomura Say Yes, There is chance Disney will compel out of respect to not hurt their relationship with him-

As long as Disney get some money out of the DLC deal, they ain't going to buy stock, or whatever the **** you all went into lmao
you need to go read a post about disney a few pages back. i dont think people really understand how corporations of that size think or function. everything about dealing with disney is complicated.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
that's what i thought before i realized it was probably some mediocre platformer "mascot"

what smash did he have a trophy in
I just looked it up and... maybe he didn't have a trophy. I could've swore he was a trophy in Melee though. But maybe not.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
you need to go read a post about disney a few pages back. i dont think people really understand how corporations of that size think or function. everything about dealing with disney is complicated.
Link to the post, please. (Wait, if I was just one letter off there...)

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
I don't think it affects Steve's chances at all, but I wouldn't want him in over Banjo or Master Chief. I'll use the Avengers movies to better explain why:

Banjo=MCU Spidey

Master Chief=Batman showing up in the Avengers

Steve=?

He's owned by Microsoft, but he wasn't made by them and he isn't exclusive to them either. There's not a comparison I can make here, but Minecraft just doesnt have a feeling like that. It's more about how big Minecraft is, and Microsoft's attachment is in name alone. Like a parent signing a consent form to have their child particpate.

Understand that I don't hate Steve and am not opposed to his inclusion, but it'd just feel underwhelming to me that he'd be the Microsoft character Sakurai asked for.
Walk down your street and ask everyone you pass who spiderman is. Ask those same people who banjo is. That's not an accurate comparison.

D

Deleted member

Link to the post, please. (Wait, if I was just one letter off there...)
The problem is that they both have a say so. People don’t realize that licensing characters out takes more than a couple people. In Disney’s case it’d have to at least make it’s way up the corporate ladder, at which point it’ll probably get shut down. “Oh, we aren’t making billions of dollars off this licensing deal? Throw it out.” Creative Disney is cool. Real cool. Corporate Disney is the opposite. It’s composed of a bunch of *** hats.

Square is a matter of “Oh Nintendo wants to use this character? Contact the original creator, the design artist, the concept artist, and the Director to see if they’re ok with it.”

Cloud is a big ****ing deal guys. And no, just because the Disney games guy said it’s up to Nomura doesn’t mean he’s the only one that needs to be asked. People also wondered why KH always reused Disney worlds constantly and that’s because it’s easier to renew a license than going after a new one. A big reason I think there’s a huge gap between the numbered entries.

I’d be down for Sora. I would. But I REALLY don’t see it happening. Fingers crossed though.
I’m not trying to be pessimistic at all, honestly, it you gotta realize that we’re not talking about a little studio that can get things done ASAP with negotiations. We’re talking about the literal biggest entertainment conglomerate in the world. The biggest. A company comprised of multiple subsidiaries that does multi-billion dollars worth of revenue through toys and movies, and they don’t outsource to make their toys either. They have a department for that.

You see, Kingdom Hearts itself is a miracle. It really is. Disney will NOT allow Sora in Smash unless they make money off of it for years and years to come. You have companies coming to Disney every day offering chunks of their stock to just be able to license a single character onto their product. Nintendo is NOT going to offer Disney a chunk of their stock, an exclusive toy deal, an exclusive film deal, etc. for good reason. But Disney REQUIRES that. In their mind if they aren’t making a LOT of money from it, they’re losing money on it.

Sakurai has a lot of pull in the industry but does he have enough pull to change Disney from the inside out? I don’t think so.
Local Non-Specific Man tells people how business works

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
after those sets of teh spain invitational.. would people still think that FS gauge is ok on 1v1s? :s
It was never going to be the optimal way to play. The final smashes are horribly unbalanced (some much easier to land, some much more powerful, etc). It will be a fun alternative way of playing 1v1, but it won't be the new standard.

Stage morph is still something I think people should try out, especially since you can decide the time it morphs.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Watching the Spanish invitational and I hope the Final Smash doesn't go anywhere in competitive play. This is painful to watch

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
i disagree. if you never see characters within a certain rank you know they need help to get there. this also ignores any internal testing or data nintnedo would be collecting as well. the flaw is if the only use elite battles for data, then characters that are good offline in tournaments like i suspect bayonetta and shiek to be, but arent as good online they may escape being tweaked. thats the real fear. characters potentially like ike, marcina, corrin, cloud, and others that are easy to play but can get wins to rise on rank may get overnerffed.
I disagree of your disagree. You know they aren't there, but what's making them not get there? You can't be dumb and just buff every single move and call it a day, that'd be terrible balancing. Rising to the ranks isn't the issue either, it's playing overall in Elite mode, the climb doesn't matter.

What I suspect may happen, with other competitive games, is a ladder reset either on a monthly basis or every patch update.

>bayonetta and sheik not dominating online and offline in 4
omegalul

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
That is a good point, and you're right, we can't predict Sakurai. However, my gut feeling tells me the fans would not be happy with two DLC characters from the same company. Plus, there may be other 3rd parties that want to get their character in, so why should Square Enix get special treatment and the other companies only get one character? It just doesn't seem fair
Since when does it have to be fair? That argument makes literally no sense.

D

Deleted member

Everyone here should go to a drama movie casting, because they would nail a role in one.

Seriously, even if people don’t remember Banjo (something that i doubt), they will easily get documented about the character.

Google is a thing because of cases like this. We use Google to get documented for almost everything.

And seriously, if every third party company has at least two franchises with playable fighters, Microsoft won’t lose this chance.

They can easily add Steve first, and Banjo later to keep this detail shared between Third Party companies, because they will get more benefits too.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Everyone here should go to a drama movie casting, because they would nail a role in one.

Seriously, even if people don’t remember Banjo (something that i doubt), they will easily get documented about the character.

Google is a thing because of cases like this. We use Google to get documented for almost everything.

And seriously, if every third party company has at least two franchises with playable fighters, Microsoft won’t lose this chance.

They can easily add Steve first, and Banjo later to keep this detail shared between Third Party companies, because they will get more benefits too.
The fact people would need to google Banjo is kind of the problem. Also why would Microsoft push Banjo and not Master Chief in this scenario?

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
I personally think people are sleeping on Lara Croft's chances of being the Square Enix rep. I still feel like Sora is probably the most likely, but his problem comes from being attached to Disney. I don't really see a Dragon Quest rep happening, and Geno seems to have missed his chance.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I'm just going based off of the DLC for the last game: each DLC newcomer was from a different company, so I expect the same for this game

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

To add more points: every third party company has already two franchises in.

Square is just the last one joining this detail thanks to DLC. It is likely that Microsoft will attempt something similar, sooner or later.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I sense a war between NonSpecificGuy 's business degree and @TotsBS 's diehard faith in one guy who said Sora's totally in no matter what.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I just realized we got a Mega Man 9 remix. Holy **** yes.
Source or didn't happened.

To add more points: every third party company has already two franchises in.

Square is just the last one joining this detail thanks to DLC. It is likely that Microsoft will attempt something similar, sooner or later.
Incorrect. Bandai-Namco still has only PAC-MAN.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
My main theme ranks:
1. Ultimate - This is the first Smash theme I've actually loved.
2. Melee - Menu 2 specifically. Not big on Menu 1
3. Smash 4 - It's okay
4. Brawl - I'm like one of 4 people that doesn't like it
5. 64 - It's not really a song...

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero

Huh, you're wording here is making me wonder if you only discovered that the internet existed recently. :p

TB2

Smash Rookie
Im pretty satisfied with this direct, im so happy with the "World of light" Mode, i am a Lucario main and i found so much buffs on him, BUT, there had to be a nerf right? Aura, if im not mistaken, I think aura was nerfed, which makes Comebacks a bit harder ( Not impossible ) If anyone can find how hard was the nerf, please tell me, it would be amazing :^)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom