• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
That’s understandable, still though I don’t believe that Geno wouldn’t sell well.

I’d argue that while Geno might not be more known than Lucas, his cult following and hype around him can give him a lot of advertisement around the Internet. Not only that, but being a unique and fun cool looking fighter would draw people in, I think the character alone sells no matter how unknown he is because of how interesting he is.
Yeah but that was Brawl, this is Ultimate, different times. Geno probably could've worked better in the base roster for Brawl, but Ultimate has a different audience to cater to than that of Brawl's. Plus, the only reason Lucas worked as DLC for Smash 4 was because he was already in Brawl, so it was for those who wanted him back. Geno wouldn't work so well for DLC this time around because of lack of representation and popularity

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Imo, Geno’s chances at DLC are lower than Isaac’s at this point. We know Square would want another big boi like Sora to be in alongside Cloud
You see though, there is the fact that Sakurai decides what fighter from them gets in (or from anyone for that matter) as seen with Cloud. It wouldn't be Square who decides, it'd be Sakurai. I'd hope/think he would go with Geno since his rights are already being used in game, and the fact Sakurai has wanted him in the past.

StormC

Smash Hero
It's funny that we went from thinking a Grass type starter would get in due to an incomplete Fire/Water starter trio... to having that starter trio completed by the original starter trio and then be left with another incomplete Fire/Water trio.

First it was Sceptile, then Decidueye. People will get their hopes up for gen 8's Grass starter now. Though it's best to not have your heart set on a certain Pokemon newcomer, honestly, those additions are always a crapshoot.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
What about Koei Tecmo?
Do you think they're likely?
Maybe? Ryu Hayabusa would be fun. He'd essentially complete the NES library in Smash Bros.
I don't see it happening, but who knows? It's all speculation and we're always wrong.

D

Deleted member

I sense a war between NonSpecificGuy 's business degree and @TotsBS 's diehard faith in one guy who said Sora's totally in no matter what.
You missed last night, then. I gave up on Sora, lol

And fat chance 2B, Noctis, or any other Square characters are getting in. The only route is Geno.

D

Deleted member

I always assumed that the go to Koei Tecmo representative would be Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden
Nah!

He is an obscure rep, who won’t sell as much as Steve or Sora! How could he be in? He is forgotten.

/S because i would love him in too, but i had to say it.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
...why exactly have they been holding on to Geno all these years then?
No idea, but clearly they have been underutilizing him. Its been many years since his last game, and the closest they got to using him so far. Is that there is a Geno looking doll in KH3.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
You missed last night, then. I gave up on Sora, lol

And fat chance 2B, Noctis, or any other Square characters are getting in. The only route is Geno.
Wait, why have you given up on Sora? What happened?

Like I legit am apathetic to Sora but I'm curious as to why he suddenly has no chance?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Apparently Green Greens without hazards has no wind nor blocks. Possibly a counterpick, but the gaps may be too wide and encourage camping.

I want to know if Castle Siege without hazard doesnt transform to the other stages.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I always assumed that the go to Koei Tecmo representative would be Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden
It would be since he is the poster boy of the company, at least alongside Zhao Yun. If Koei Tecmo did get a representative they would definitely push for him to be their rep. If he did get in it would open the door for Linkle so thats a possibility.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
It's funny that we went from thinking a Grass type starter would get in due to an incomplete Fire/Water starter trio... to having that starter trio completed by the original starter trio and then be left with another incomplete Fire/Water trio.

First it was Sceptile, then Decidueye. People will get their hopes up for gen 8's Grass starter now. Though it's best to not have your heart set on a certain Pokemon newcomer, honestly, those additions are always a crapshoot.
Was never a fan of flavour of the month grass types that were requested purely to fill a quota that only mattered for one character's whole shtick.

I know some people genuinely want both, but after Vergeben Decidueye disappeared from speculation and Sceptile was never mentioned this speculation period.

If we get a grass starter then it will be up to GameFreak to make a very popular one or one that stands out among artwork depending on timing. But it should never get in because it represents an elemental typing of its series.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So... Make list of characters, of which you played their debut game before they got confirmed for Smash... (Extra points if the Pokemon were actually on your team during the play through...)

:ultgreninja::ultpacman::ultmiifighters::ultdarkpit::ultbowserjr::ultridley::ultkrool::ultincineroar::ultpiranha:
(okay, so technically, Ridley and K. Rool shouldn't count, because I never got far enough to actually encounter them... That being said though, Froakie and Litten were my starters in XY and SM respectively)
Man... this is a short list... this is what happens when you've only been a Nintendo fan for like 12 years

Last edited:

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
Yeah but that was Brawl, this is Ultimate, different times. Geno probably could've worked better in the base roster for Brawl, but Ultimate has a different audience to cater to than that of Brawl's. Plus, the only reason Lucas worked as DLC for Smash 4 was because he was already in Brawl, so it was for those who wanted him back. Geno wouldn't work so well for DLC this time around because of lack of representation and popularity
What kind of audience is Ultimate catering to? From what I can tell, it’s a mix of hardcore fans and casuals, trying to find a good balance. Geno could absolutely fit with Ultimates roster.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Believe me, I didn’t care about Geno until the Grinch leak surfaced that I started to warm up to him.

But yeah, there’s no way Geno will be DLC.
Imo it’s base or nothing for him because I doubt many causal audiences will want to pay for a character they never heard of unless the Mii costume said otherwise.

I think the same goes for any first-party fan request from a current franchise, (Dixie, Dee, Elma, etc) there’s no way any of them will have their own tracks, and stage so I think it’s safe to cross them out for the Fighters pass, they would’ve been in the base roster.

I want to have hope for Banjo, Sora, Chorus Kids, and Mach Rider as far as 3rd Party/new Ninty IP requests go but from I what I learned from Smash 4 DLC, the packs will very likely be the same since they’re planned from 2015.

4 currently active 3rd Party characters and 1 FE from the upcoming title.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Is anyone else waiting for all DLC to be released before they decide on buying a season pass or not? Last time I feel like I only really got my money's worth out of Cloud and Bayonetta (with Mewtwo as the freebie). The other characters I played as maybe half a dozen times and then put on a shelf.

Like, if they announced Banjo-Kazooie or something, I'd probably go all in and get the season pass, but otherwise, I'll wait. The current rumors have me anxious about what DLC will look like. Like, I'm not personally a KH fan (although my girlfriend is going to get me to play the series soon, heh), but Sora would be a cool addition and I'd be happy to buy him. A Granblue character? Eh...

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
I would like it too, mostly for the moveset.
Not /s

But it isn’t Kingdom Hearts, Minecraft or Halo, so it is unlikely.

/s
Idk could happen we don't know anything lol but I don't see it happening either honestly least not in this game. Maybe next game or if we have more than one fighter season pass.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
A kind user on Gamefaqs complied this mill for Hitagi, a user that is pretty well known for his trusted leaks and connection with Vergeben. It mostly talks about Smash, but there are also other things that he said, as in to other games.

edit: Damn, the image doesn't work T_T

Last edited:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Believe me, I didn’t care about Geno until the Grinch leak surfaced that I started to warm up to him.

But yeah, there’s no way Geno will be DLC. Imo, it’s base or nothing for him because I doubt many causal audiences will want to pay for a character they never heard of unless the Mii costume said otherwise.

I think the same goes for any first-party fan request from a current franchise, (Dixie, Dee, Elma, etc) there’s no way any of them will have their own tracks, and stage so I think it’s safe to cross them out for the Fighters pass, they would’ve been in the base roster.

I want to have hope for Banjo, Sora, Chorus Kids, and Mach Rider as far as 3rd Party/new Ninty IP requests go but from I what I learned from Smash 4 DLC.

The packs will very likely be the same since they’re planned from 2015.

4 currently active 3rd Party characters and 1 FE from the upcoming title.
I agree 3rd party characters will still be relative and they will represent the company. It just makes too much sense from a business stand point.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So you think Spawn Wave is some type of fraud now? :redface:

Born same year, but I only watched it once because a friend had the VHS.
My faith in Sora dropped heavily, but I certainly don't think he's a fraud. I still have yet to see the streak be broken. But hey, it'd be interesting if a VGA announcement does happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom