• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZAHÍRITΣiΚΛ

Unguided Rainbow
Switch FC
SW-7955-8996-6175
Okay so I haven't really had time to catch up here since the direct so ummmm....

HOW AND WHY DOES GALEEM HAVE AN ARMY OF MASTER HANDS!? WASN'T THERE SUPPOSEDLY JUST ONE!? THE ONE THAT CREATED THE WORLD OF TROPHIES!!! THE WORLD OF SMASH!!!

DOES THiS MEAN GALEEM CREATED THE UNiVERSE!? DID iT SEND iT'S MASTER HANDS OUT iNTO THE VOiD TO CREATE WORLDS?! WHY WERE THERE ONLY MASTER HANDS????! I DiDN'T SEE A SiNGLE CRAZY HAND!!

DOES GALEEM KNOW WHY KiDS LOVE THE TASTE OF CINNAMON TOAST CRUNCH!?!?!?!?

also wouldn't it be awesome if the Final Destination theme was a symphonic metal cover of the main theme complete with lyrics?

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Who would everyone want as a potential Bethesda Rep? Since they’ve been in talks with Nintendo about Smash

I’m partial to Doomguy personally

D

Deleted member

"Dragon Quest Swords" exists. They don't have to use Sugiyama's music. From what I can tell, it sounds indistinguishable from DQ's usual style.

Here's an example: Go For Broke!
Right, but I know there are PLENTY of Japanese fans who would practically not even by a "Dragon Quest DLC Pack" for Smash Ultimate if it wouldn't have the Dragon Quest Overture and some songs from like, Dragon Quest V.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Okay so I haven't really had time to catch up here since the direct so ummmm....

HOW AND WHY DOES GALEEM HAVE AN ARMY OF MASTER HANDS!? WASN'T THERE SUPPOSEDLY JUST ONE!? THE ONE THAT CREATED THE WORLD OF TROPHIES!!! THE WORLD OF SMASH!!!

DOES THiS MEAN GALEEM CREATED THE UNiVERSE!? DID iT SEND iT'S MASTER HANDS OUT iNTO THE VOiD TO CREATE WORLDS?! WHY WERE THERE ONLY MASTER HANDS????! I DIDN'T SEE A SiNGLE CRAZY HAND!!

also wouldn't it be awesome if the Final Destination theme was a symphonic metal cover of the main theme complete with lyrics?
What if Galeem made the hands in the first place? Is he daddy hand?

beans

Smash Lord

DOES THiS MEAN GALEEM CREATED THE UNiVERSE!? DID iT SEND iT'S MASTER HANDS OUT iNTO THE VOiD TO CREATE WORLDS?! WHY WERE THERE ONLY MASTER HANDS????! I DIDN'T SEE A SiNGLE CRAZY HAND!!

Galeem probaly captured Master Hand just like he captured Mario.
He cloned MH with goo
Those Goo Hands

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Who would everyone want as a potential Bethesda Rep? Since they’ve been in talks with Nintendo about Smash

Vault Boy. There's so much potential just from the comic tutorial videos he does alone without giving him in game weapons and mechanics.

osby

Smash Obsessed
What if Galeem made the hands in the first place? Is he daddy hand?
We'll see but my current prediction is that he just controls them, like Tabuu kinda did. Also... did Smash ever said there was only one Master Hand?

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Vault Boy. There's so much potential just from the comic tutorial videos he does alone without giving him in game weapons and mechanics.
I can see Sakurai having a lot of fun with Vault Boy for sure. I wonder if he could incorporate VATS somehow

beans

Smash Lord
Just a big Vault Boy model, with disproporions and everything.
Ze best
i was thinking of referencing that comic but I think that joke would get me banned

NapoleonDos

Smash Cadet
Vault guy would be quite expressive- this is usually a big bonus to a character being included (personality)!

NineS

Smash Lord
I've said all of this once on the 2B thread, in support of 2B, but now I'll say it here, in support of any of the characters that come from games after 2016. I think it's possible for them to make it into the game.

Sakurai said the DLC has been planned for a while now according to the the recent direct, right here:
The exact words are:
We decided which fighters to include when we started the planning, so we couldn't add characters from titles like Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which was announced after planning had started.
I think an important keyword here is that he said they couldn't add fighters from titles like those/came out after the original planning was finished (whenever that might actually be). Not that they can't. Something about that sticks out to me.
There may be a major difference in what was said during the Japanese version though, but I don't know any Japanese (I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could translate that part of the Japanese Direct). I could be looking too far into things. Or, this may hint at either the possibility of there being more recent characters in the Fighter's pass, or in some other DLC.

Another thing to note is that this directly conflicts with something Bill said as to how they're handling DLC. Which is in this interview, http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...with_nintendos_bill_trinen_and_nate_bihldorff
The quote:
The thing about us, when it comes to something like DLC, we don't really start on it until we have got the game done. So, maybe when the game comes out they will make a decision on if they will do it, or if they do what they want to do, that sort of thing.
These both directly conflict with each other. Of course, there's also the assumption that Bill was being secretive, or simply didn't know, or something more likely which is under an NDA of sort (However, had it been due to an NDA, it would've been far more likely he'd simply say "No Comment" instead. That's more of my opinion though).

I do believe that we may get characters from games that are from after the "planning ended", whatever that may mean. I do think it opens the door for 2B, I will not deny that this doesn't really greatly increase her chances to me than they originally were. NieR: Automata on switch is, admittedly, the one thing left for me to be confident she'll make it in. There's always the possibility that they're already working on a port without us knowing, but that'd be an unsafe assumption. However, I am confident that this opens the door for many other popular, recent characters already on Nintendo Consoles.

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Smash Fans: *asks for Doomguy, Vault Boy, B.J. Blazkowicz*

Sakurai: *Puts in a copy of Skyrim as a playable character (as in, it's a box with the game inside of it that attacks other characters with "punches" and "kicks" and its final smash is Todd Howard looming in the background, teleporting the other fighters into the world of Skyrim)*

Smash Fans: excuse me what the ****

Calane

Smash Ace
Right, but I know there are PLENTY of Japanese fans who would practically not even by a "Dragon Quest DLC Pack" for Smash Ultimate if it wouldn't have the Dragon Quest Overture and some songs from like, Dragon Quest V.
Hmm... Yeah, guess that's a good point.

In truth, I can just see them using MIDI versions of some iconic DQ tracks and calling it a day. People will then get mad that the composer's stuff is in the game at all, and it'd turn into a giant mess.

I think DQ Swords music might be the best option to avoid controversy, honestly.

Last edited:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599

the Dovakiin is generally the most popular request with Doomguy/Slayer as a close second.

Now as for 2B...I'd really like to have NIER:Automata on the Switch first before talking about her as a fighter. because....I just really want NIER:Automata on the Switch OK?

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I've said all of this once on the 2B thread, in support of 2B, but now I'll say it here, in support of any of the characters that come from games after 2016. I think it's possible for them to make it into the game.

Sakurai said the DLC has been planned for a while now according to the the recent direct, right here:
The exact words are:

I think an important keyword here is that he said they couldn't add fighters from titles like those/came out after the original planning was finished (whenever that might actually be). Not that they can't. Something about that sticks out to me.
There may be a major difference in what was said during the Japanese version though, but I don't know any Japanese (I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could translate that part of the Japanese Direct). I could be looking too far into things. Or, this may hint at either the possibility of there being more recent characters in the Fighter's pass, or in some other DLC.

Another thing to note is that this directly conflicts with something Bill said as to how they're handling DLC. Which is in this interview, http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...with_nintendos_bill_trinen_and_nate_bihldorff
The quote:

These both directly conflict with each other. Of course, there's also the assumption that Bill was being secretive, or simply didn't know, or something more likely which is under an NDA of sort (However, had it been due to an NDA, it would've been far more likely he'd simply say "No Comment" instead. That's more of my opinion though).

I do believe that we may get characters from games that are from after the "planning ended", whatever that may mean. I do think it opens the door for 2B, I will not deny that this doesn't really greatly increase her chances to me than they originally were. NieR: Automata on switch is, admittedly, the one thing left for me to be 100% confident she'll make it in. There's always the possibility that they're already working on a port without us knowing, but that'd be an unsafe assumption. However, I am confident that this opens the door for many other popular, recent characters already on Nintendo Consoles.
But usually 3rd Party characters are quite iconic. The only exception being Bayonetta - but her jump to Nintendo is an exception.

Why would SE and Sakurai choose 2B over Sora or Sephiroth or Lara Croft or a DQ character?

Not trying to hate on 2B, but she ain’t Cloud

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So question, how many of you here would play a Smash Bros RPG spinoff?
Yes, me. Would fit the game suprisingly well. As your character levels up, their Special moves, stats and even Smash and regular attacks all get stronger and faster and all. Imagine the potential... Samus getting missile and beam upgrades, Link getting new weapons, Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon leveling up learning new moves and evolving, it would be amazing.

D

Deleted member

Depends
Is it a XCOM or Fire Emblem style?
If its like FF and SMT then a hard maybe.
If its a gacha I would be disapointed
Dunno if I'm gonna base off of DBZ: Attack of The Sayians or Golden Sun. But it'd be like one of those two.

osby

Smash Obsessed
So question, how many of you here would play a Smash Bros RPG spinoff?
We have Spirits, though. :p Serious answer: I'd play the hell out of it, as long as it's turn-based.

Finally, my boi can finally be playable in an RPG for once!!! :yoshi:

Though seriously, why hasn't he been playable in any of the Mario RPGs?!!!
Why wasn't he playable in SMRPG again?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Yeah, Doom Slayer 100%. The granddaddy of the FPS Genre is the most classic, iconic character they have and he’s had a hell of a resurgence over the past few years.

I actively support the ******, actually. Rip and Tear into Smash.

beans

Smash Lord
But usually 3rd Party characters are quite iconic. The only exception being Bayonetta - but her jump to Nintendo is an exception.

Why would SE and Sakurai choose 2B over Sora or Sephiroth or Lara Croft or a DQ character?

Big thigs save lives
You're kinda underestimating 2B's popularity. Nier:Automata was a big hit.
Also she got in Soul Calibur 6. If it helps her chances or not is up to you

Shroob

Sup?
If its been planned for a while could mean we might get an announcement of the next character at the VGA.
I think that's what most people are banking on.

And as luck would have it, everything lines up perfectly.

It's the day before the game comes out, so if it actually does happen, that'll work out perfectly.

NapoleonDos

Smash Cadet
That's... A little illogical, don't you think? It's not as if Vergeben himself wouldn't know Sora is in fact a Disney Character either, in which case, if it was, wouldn't he simply be able to say that Sora is in the game flat out, or be more vague and say "There will be a Disney character"? And if said source had said Sora, them being part of Square Enix, it should be known to them that Sora is a Disney-owned character.
How could anyone leak a "Disney character" and either
A- not jump to Sora
B- think the game is opening the vault (ahhhh. It the Disney vault, the vault of media characters as a whole)?
The fact of what is stated is not what is important in media, what is important is the impression given and how it is received. That's literally all for which marketing is designed.

I honestly can only see the supposed "Square rep" be Geno, now. After the legality rabbit hole NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy dropped about Sora, then you add on how Dragon Quest is practically held back by a nationalist, and unless NieR: Automata is coming to the Switch, there's no way I see 2B making it in at all.

And those are the three other "big ones" I see that are Square reps, besides Geno. I don't even see Noctis making it in because while yes, Final Fantasy XV is on a Nintendo console, it's the Pocket Edition. It doesn't seem like that's "high priority" for them.

And given how Final Fantasy is labeled, I literally only see another Final Fantasy VII character getting in or Geno.
How can you just do Lara Croft like that, dude? She is a huge gaming character, and Tomb Raider is one of the top ten highest grossing MEDIA franchises of all time (not just gaming)

After Piranha Plant, I just want to watch the world burn with the rest of the DLC. And no, not with picks like Katalina, I mean actual balls-to-the-wall Sakurai craziness and memes. Steve is a good start, but I think we can get 2B, Joker, and a Bethesda character in there.
Or, they could try to...make money

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I was talking about THE Yoshi
But that Yoshi has a mohawk

Big thigs save lives
You're kinda underestimating 2B's popularity. Nier:Automata was a big hit.
Also she got in Soul Calibur 6. If it helps her chances or not is up to you
Eh maybe I’m way off but she seems more on Bayonetta’s level of popularity than Ryu or Cloud’s

NineS

Smash Lord

Not to be rude, but I think you missed the part there I said I'm doing it in support of any characters from after 2016, And this doesn't really increase her chances, and that this opens the door to other popular newer characters.

As to the second part of your post, SE has already been choosing 2B for a lot of things, especially crossovers. Aside from the multitude of crossovers with their own apps, some of the other things Yosuke Saito is involved in, Phantasy Star Online 2, and most notably, Soulcalibur. As why for Sakurai's situation? Well, he's clearly stated to love NieR: Automata https://www.sourcegaming.info/2017/03/15/thinking-outside-the-box-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-526/
You could argue that 2B herself has become somewhat iconic in design, but that would honestly be grasping at straws. Unique in looks, sure, but not Iconic. NieR: Automata was a huge hit though, there's no denying. It even outdid some of Square Enix's top franchises, such as Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, in 2017 I believe. It was even Platinum Game's saving grace. Hadn't it been for NieR, Yoko Taro, and Yosuke Saito, Platinum Games would've gone bankrupt and we probably wouldn't be expecting a Bayonetta 3.

I'm not insisting that Sakurai would choose her over the likes of Geno and Sephiroth, but it's a possibility. An extremely unlikely one at that, and I'm well aware of it. If there's anything Sakurai has taught me, it's that he's really been -
- an awful lot lately. Especially with Piranha Plant.

As for Sora, well. I still honestly that begs the question whether Sora can even classify as a Square Enix character in Verge's leaks, or if he'd classify as a Disney character. After all, we've been arguing if Disney would allow Sora, not Square Enix, haven't we?

Last edited:

ZAHÍRITΣiΚΛ

Unguided Rainbow
Switch FC
SW-7955-8996-6175
We'll see but my current prediction is that he just controls them, like Tabuu kinda did. Also... did Smash ever said there was only one Master Hand?
Well huh... now that I think about it I don't think it ever said that it was just one of him it just said that he was creator of the smash world but it never said he was the only creator.

D

Deleted member

Golden Sun would be interesting, heck Spirits could work as Djiins.
Yo, true! Add that with DBZ: Attack of The Sayians attack animations and it's be glorious. I'd also like to incorperate some elements from the Mario and Luigi series, namely the input commands.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Not to be rude, but I think you missed the part there I said I'm doing it in support of any characters from after 2016, And this doesn't really increase her chances, and that this opens the door to other popular newer characters.

As to the second part of your post, SE has already been choosing 2B for a lot of things, especially crossovers. Aside from the multitude of crossovers with their own apps, some of the other things Yosuke Saito is involved in, Phantasy Star Online 2, and most notably, Soulcalibur. As why for Sakurai's situation? Well, he's clearly stated to love NieR: Automata https://www.sourcegaming.info/2017/03/15/thinking-outside-the-box-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-526/
You could argue that 2B herself has become somewhat iconic in design, but that would honestly be grasping at straws. Unique in looks, sure, but not Iconic.

I'm not insisting that Sakurai would, but it's a possibility. If there's anything Sakurai has taught me, it's that he's really been -
- an awful lot lately. Especially with Piranha Plant.

As for Sora, well. I still honestly that begs the question whether Sora can even classify as a Square Enix character in Verge's leaks, or if he'd classify as a Disney character. After all, we've been arguing if Disney would allow Sora, not Square Enix, haven't we?
Yes, I was addressing 2B in general.

To your point about characters after 2016, I’m taking Sakurai at his word about not adding them to temper expectations.

Now Season 2 of DLC? Well if it happens then I could see later characters - like maybe 2B who knows - happening. But I don’t think she or anyone else who first appeared after 2016 will be one of those first 5 fighters

osby

Smash Obsessed
Dunno if I'm gonna base off of DBZ: Attack of The Sayians or Golden Sun. But it'd be like one of those two.
Base off from Persona and make Mario do this:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I just want to remind you all, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain has not, and never will, appeared on a Nintendo console.

Yet just like in Brawl with MGS4, MGSV gets representation.

This is the magic of Solid Snake. THIS is why we fought 10 long years to get him back. Amazing, crazy **** happens.

IMG_20181104_010654.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
A Bethesda character and a Granblue character would be nice counterbalances to each other given their respective regions of popularity or lack thereof. Seems like it'd be a fair compromise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom