• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Even our boi Isaac to be in the game finally ? I think there's 0% chances... :sadeyes:
There is a ridiculously small chance of a random bunch of atoms coming together to create an exact copy of Smash Ultimate with Isaac in it. It's possible, just not plausible.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Honestly, I have a feeling that the rumored Square rep could end up not being either Sora or Geno.

Admittedly, I don't have any concrete evidence to support my feeling... it's just a gut feeling.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
One thing to mention about Sora though, A Disney executive has come out to say Sora would be fine for smash so there must be an agreement in place if he was to be in the game. So i don't really understand why people are still making this argument.
It's easy to say "Yes it can happen" without getting into the finer details of business negotiations. The problem isn't Disney saying "No". The Problem is Disney being Disney. They are a huge media conglomerate. Nothing is a simple yes or no. It's always a complex agreement that usually ends up with Disney benefiting FAAAAR more than the other party.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Sora can be in without Donald and Goofy.

But if you tell me you wouldn’t want them in his final smash then idk

They’re a trio. Always have been. They do separate but those 3 are the heart of the main games

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
You know, something just hit me.
Vergeben's leaked character is a Square Enix character, but...

Is Sora actually a Square Enix Character?
He's technically owned by Disney, isn't he? Would that make him a Disney character?

I know the games that he stars in are made by Square Enix, but he's owned by Disney. Is Sora a Square Enix character in the same vein that Bayonetta would be a Platinum Games Character? Or is he a Disney character in the same vein that Geno is a Square Enix character, despite starring in a Mario Game published by Nintendo?

I'm not trying to say he's not likely, or that Geno is. It's just a realization that hit me.
Is Sora a Square Enix character, despite being owned by Disney?
The common counter argument to this is that Verge's soure(s) wouldn't know Sora was owned by Disney and would consider him an SE rep.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Yeah at this rate I don't expect Geno to be in. Base was his best chance. If anyone is the SE rep it'll either be a Dragon Quest character or Sora.

But hey Sakurai can always surprise me.

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
WELL

I GOOGLED IT
Google what?

*spams the "jump to post where this quote was from" buttons until I arrive at something that sounds like an answer to a question*

*googles the name in said post*

Well... how did I get here?

["Once in a Lifetime" by Talking Heads starts playing]

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord
The common counter argument to this is that Verge's soure(s) wouldn't know Sora was owned by Disney and would consider him an SE rep.
That's... A little illogical, don't you think? It's not as if Vergeben himself wouldn't know Sora is in fact a Disney Character either, in which case, if it was, wouldn't he simply be able to say that Sora is in the game flat out, or be more vague and say "There will be a Disney character"? And if said source had said Sora, them being part of Square Enix, it should be known to them that Sora is a Disney-owned character.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Honestly, I have a feeling that the rumored Square rep could end up not being either Sora or Geno.

Admittedly, I don't have any concrete evidence to support my feeling... it's just a gut feeling.
People tend to forget other strong Square Enix contenders like Sephiroth to be fair.

D

Deleted member

I honestly can only see the supposed "Square rep" be Geno, now. After the legality rabbit hole NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy dropped about Sora, then you add on how Dragon Quest is practically held back by a nationalist, and unless NieR: Automata is coming to the Switch, there's no way I see 2B making it in at all.

And those are the three other "big ones" I see that are Square reps, besides Geno. I don't even see Noctis making it in because while yes, Final Fantasy XV is on a Nintendo console, it's the Pocket Edition. It doesn't seem like that's "high priority" for them.

And given how Final Fantasy is labeled, I literally only see another Final Fantasy VII character getting in or Geno.

Dyamanttine

Smash Journeyman
People need to understand that "Smash" is the exception to any kind of rule, if Sakurai wants Sora in, he will make that happen, and the release of Kingdom Hearts 3 is right around the corner so that helps with Disney being more open-minded.

Ezclapper

Smash Apprentice
Reasonable doubt. Wrapping our heads around what we really just don’t know. Pessimistic views emerging from a fear of crushed hopes. Keeping expectations in check. Some of us just don’t want to see the community go to shambles if it doesn’t happen. Some just don’t want him in. Banjo was also said to be okay for smash.

The human condition, man. Freaking whack.
Yea, to some extent I agree with you, you could technically make the same argument with Cloud then. I know Disney is a complete different beast but Cloud was a copyright nightmare also. This DLC season was decided way back anyways, so there is a big time frame for discussion. One thing I find fishy about everything though is we are so sure that the SE rep will be the first DLC just based off of people with good track records.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Also for anyone who thinks Disney wouldn't allow Sora, they allowed this.

Seriously, where is @tehponycorn to explain the legality of Sora when you need him?

NineS

Smash Lord
To be fair.. It's Fortnite. This same company managed to force Sony into doing crossplay with Nintendo and Microsoft. It's pretty big.

Plus, that's more of Marvel's word than Disney.

You know, something just hit me.
Vergeben's leaked character is a Square Enix character, but...

Is Sora actually a Square Enix Character?
He's technically owned by Disney, isn't he? Would that make him a Disney character?

I know the games that he stars in are made by Square Enix, but he's owned by Disney. Is Sora a Square Enix character in the same vein that Bayonetta would be a Platinum Games Character? Or is he a Disney character in the same vein that Geno is a Square Enix character, despite starring in a Mario Game published by Nintendo?

I'm not trying to say he's not likely, or that Geno is. It's just a realization that hit me.
Is Sora a Square Enix character, despite being owned by Disney?
Nekoo Nekoo Your thoughts on this please.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
People tend to forget other strong Square Enix contenders like Sephiroth to be fair.
Isn't Sephiroth's sword like... huge?
I'm not the most knowledgeable person on Final Fantasy, but I clearly remember that.
How would he be implemented into the game as a character?
As a boss, yeah it possible.
But he would kind of hard to balance unless you shrink it down.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
That's... A little illogical, don't you think? It's not as if Vergeben himself wouldn't know Sora is in fact a Disney Character either, in which case, if it was, wouldn't he simply be able to say that Sora is in the game flat out, or be more vague and say "There will be a Disney character"? And if said source had said Sora, them being part of Square Enix, it should be known to them that Sora is a Disney-owned character.
I mean, I agree. It's something I've brought up before too, but if Verge is hearing "Sora is the SE Rep" From certain people than he might even keep it consolidated because of how he's trying to keep his sources free from getting sniffed out.

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
what do you think the chances of multiple seasons of DLC are? imagine 5 characters and stages for a few years with certain themes.
season 1: Third Party All Stars
season 2: Fighting Game Characters
season 3: new IPs/Other first parties
I'm not saying this is likely, just throwing it out there. it could open up for some good newcomers

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Wasn't he originated from local myths?
No. Dracula’s origin is absolutely disgusting to hear. Mostly because the guy it’s based off is not only blood-thirsty and actually way scarier than Dracula, but he was a real ruler of Walachia in the 1400’s.

His name was Vlad Tepes, known by the name Vlad the Impaler.
He drank blood with alcohol(origin of Bloody Mary’s drink), he impaled people for fun in ways that I would not be allowed to describe. He ate his food while his victims bled, hanging on the walls of his dining halls.

He is one of the scariest imaginable types of people to read about in actual history. He was the Adolph Hitler of his time and while his influence was not so far reaching as Hitler, Vlad was much more savage in the face of his people.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Isn't Sephiroth's sword like... huge?
I'm not the most knowledgeable person on Final Fantasy, but I clearly remember that.
How would he be implemented into the game as a character?
As a boss, yeah it possible.
But he would kind of hard to balance unless you shrink it down.
Pull a Ridley and shrink it down to its original size. His blade while long wasn't nearly as long as the modern designs exaggerate it to be.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Seriously, where is @tehponycorn to explain the legality of Sora when you need him?
I said this earlier. That’s Marvel. Marvel Entertainment is far more grounded than Disney. Marvel may be a subsidiary of Disney but they basically do their own thing. Much like Lucasfilm and unlike Pixar.

Plus, do you really want Sora to be available for a month, online only, then be pulled? Nah.
Disney would let Sora in for the money
Nintendo would profit more from his inclusion than either Square OR Disney. That’s kinda the point. And that won’t sit well with Disney as always.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
No. Dracula’s origin is absolutely disgusting to hear. Mostly because the guy it’s based off is not only blood-thirsty and actually way scarier than Dracula, but he was a real ruler of Walachia in the 1400’s.

His name was Vlad Tepes, known by the name Vlad the Impaler.
He drank blood with alcohol(origin of Bloody Mary’s drink), he impaled people for fun in ways that I would not be allowed to describe. He ate his food while his victims bled, hanging on the walls of his dining halls.

He is one of the scariest imaginable types of people to read about in actual history. He was the Adolph Hitler of his time and while his influence was not so far reaching as Hitler, Vlad was much more savage in the face of his people.
vlad was a ****

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm just really hoping one of the 5 is the Monster Hunter avatar.

The potential moveset there is huge and I want to beat Incineroar with a tiny cat friend.

"Bara Cat taken down by small Scottish Fold. News at 11"

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
After Piranha Plant, I just want to watch the world burn with the rest of the DLC. And no, not with picks like Katalina, I mean actual balls-to-the-wall Sakurai craziness and memes. Steve is a good start, but I think we can get 2B, Joker, and a Bethesda character in there.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I said this earlier. That’s Marvel. Marvel Entertainment is far more grounded than Disney. Marvel may be a subsidiary of Disney but they basically do their own thing. Much like Lucasfilm and unlike Pixar.

Plus, do you really want Sora to be available for a month, online only, then be pulled? Nah.

Nintendo would profit more from his inclusion than either Square OR Disney. That’s kinda the point. And that won’t sit well with Disney as always.
In that case

In that case

Calane

Smash Ace
I honestly can only see the supposed "Square rep" be Geno, now. After the legality rabbit hole NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy dropped about Sora, then you add on how Dragon Quest is practically held back by a nationalist, and unless NieR: Automata is coming to the Switch, there's no way I see 2B making it in at all.

And those are the three other "big ones" I see that are Square reps, besides Geno. I don't even see Noctis making it in because while yes, Final Fantasy XV is on a Nintendo console, it's the Pocket Edition. It doesn't seem like that's "high priority" for them.

And given how Final Fantasy is labeled, I literally only see another Final Fantasy VII character getting in or Geno.
"Dragon Quest Swords" exists. They don't have to use Sugiyama's music. From what I can tell, it sounds indistinguishable from DQ's usual style.

Here's an example: Go For Broke!

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I'm just really hoping one of the 5 is the Monster Hunter avatar.

The potential moveset there is huge and I want to beat Incineroar with a tiny cat friend.

"Bara Cat taken down by small Scottish Fold. News at 11"
Pour one out for my boy Cha Cha who everyone forgets

FDACF23E-5362-43F3-AF8F-2291D7EC2D26.png

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I will say, if they decide to stop after the first fighter pass then they are just REALLY selling themselves short. The Switch has a hell of a life span left and they could keep this momentum going for that entire time if they wanted to. Even if Sakurai wanted to do another project Nampo knows enough to be able to carry on with only his overseeing guidance.

One season just seems like a waste of potential in my opinion.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I will say, if they decide to stop after the first fighter pass then they are just REALLY selling themselves short. The Switch has a hell of a life span left and they could keep this momentum going for that entire time if they wanted to. Even if Sakurai wanted to do another project Nampo knows enough to be able to carry on with only his overseeing guidance.

One season just seems like a waste of potential in my opinion.
I would bet on a second season. Probably not a third though

Last edited:

beans

Smash Lord
Came back from beauty sleep and now theres talk about a Square DLC.
Everyone knows it will be Barret with the gun Sakurai bought.
He just wacks people with it cause he doesnt have enough polygons for a finger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom