• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Funny how people get upset becouse their characters is a AT or a Spirit.

My Dream characters don't even have nothing in the game, and im here trying to help him.

D

Deleted member

Most of my complaints have to do with the game's content, not the roster. I'm worried this is looking like the series' lightest offering since Melee in that regard. They seem to have really put everything into the Spirits mode, and subsequently Adventure Mode as well. I should clarify that I'm talking about new stuff, obviously there's a ridiculous number of stages, music, etc. but the vast majority seem to be ripped from older games.
I'd say that's a good thing. Smash Wii U's biggest problem was trying to fit in as many things as possible, and that really hurt a lot of the potential of some modes as a result, as none of them felt like they were polished all that well.

Sometimes less is more. Less modes means more focus and polish went into what's there.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
Yes, she's still "off-model". They're not going to change it.
Meh was worth a try. :p
Because only girls with huge honkers can wear sports bras and athletic shorts
Look it’s just very mixed signals is all. Someone somewhere said they thought she looked painfully skinny in that outfit in 4. I dread to think what this version will look like in it. :p

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Distaste toward PP aside, I like that Dark Land got remixed.

Sounds like it and the Bowser battle music from the same game that's in Bowser's little video are part of the same song. I think it's got the same drum sampling.

Woulda liked it to be a medley of all the Kingdom themes, but oh well.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I am content. I was iffy on PP at first but now im completely 180'd and want to play him
We get 6 DLC characters too?
I'm ready for 12/7

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

My Dream characters don't even have nothing in the game, and im here trying to help him.
I think this is the type of attitude we should all have :p I agree!

I’ve been ******* at all afternoon on Reddit for daring to go against the “Sakurai Defense Force” who won’t let you say a thing negative about his precious creations. I like the man, I like Smash, but I hated that Direct.
I’m still buying the game, though, so who wins in the end, I guess....
Why so? Just curious. interested in hearing your opinions.

Jakenimbus

Smash Apprentice
Ok so I just finished the direct and I have to say, I am on the fence about it. There are some good parts about it and some bad. The worst part about this direct is the spirits mode. I honestly would rather have smash tour make a return over the spirit mode but kudos for trying something new. I have to say, I am not that disappointed that the Grinch leak is fake. That is impressive to whoever made that leak and they clearly are a genius. Box leak did end up becoming true which is pretty interesting as well. The character reveal trailer for Ken/Inceniror was perfect in my opinion and really fun to watch. I would've preferred that the last direct in August was swapped with this one because the last direct was a lot more exciting. Some of the new changes are good to the game but they are pretty boring and I felt like they harped on them a bit too much. Assist trophies were excellent only rip to some of those fans that wanted those fighters in the game as playable fighters. Overall, it was an ok direct. Some good, some bad, but overall, spirits is not a good mode. Great work by Sakura and his team on the game! Definitely excited to see his handwork pay off. One last thing before I end my opinion is I am surprised a piranha plant is playable but can't wait to be able to play him.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Man Im still salty about the trophies.
It was really nice to clear a mode a get a trophy for your fighter.
Now you'll get a jpeg. Maybe a png. Not gif tough (Gif, cause making a word doesnt let you change how they work)
Also the fact they were replaced for what will be this games equipment system makes me even more salty.
I hated that whenever I wanted to make a costume fighter in the 3DS I had to give it equipments, I dont want to chage its stats I just want to give Yoshi an actual recovery,
I just realized no more Final Smash trophies...
I_have_fury.gif

Untouch

Smash Master
Man Im still salty about the trophies.
It was really nice to clear a mode a get a trophy for your fighter.
Now you'll get a jpeg. Maybe a png. Not gif tough (Gif, cause making a word doesnt let you change how they work)
Also the fact they were replaced for what will be this games equipment system makes me even more salty.
I hated that whenever I wanted to make a costume fighter in the 3DS I had to give it equipments, I dont want to chage its stats I just want to give Yoshi an actual recovery,
Trophies seemed like a massive effort for little payoff.
That's over 1000 models they have to work on, I cannot imagine that being too easy on the development team.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Well boys I'm back

Incineroar is in and I'm ecstatic. My big dumb goofy son looks SO good. I shrieked like a hyena as he was revealed. He overcame all odds.
Ken's cool! Good job Ken.
DAY 1 PIRANHA PLANT MAIN. A ***** LOVES PETEY. Do I understand why it's in? **** no but I'm playing them

Also...let people be disappointed guys, you telling them "YOU UNGRATEFUL SWINE" won't do **** lol.
Especially y'all Isaac boys. Genuinely heartbroken for you guys.

I miss Geno, a lot. But this is a truly beautiful game. And I'm happy!

5 DLC characters...hmm.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I was really hoping he'd have Fierce Deity.
You know, we haven't seen all of YL's costumes yet...

All we know is that he has a Dark Link one and a Blue tunic (and probably a red and a purple). Beyond that, I wouldn't be too surprised if one of his recolors at least references FD. Link has one, but I feel like they made it a step backwards from the Sm4sh version.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794

Yeah I don't really get it either.

I really wanted to see if they could get the Black Knight to work as an echo fighter, but I'm thrilled to see him as an assist trophy. He looks great to. Yet some people act like getting an assist trophy is some sort of intentional "slap in the face". It's a huge shame for Shovel Knight and Isaac, but some people take it way too personally when their preferred character doesn't get special treatment.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Those stupid ****s on the wiki are STILL denying vergeben being right... Even though the direct this morning PROVED beyond a shadow of a doubt nearly all his claims.. I wonder how they talk with loz18's **** in their mouth.. Because he, a proven lying troll, is still considered legit. Christ why does this make me angry?

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Those stupid ****s on the wiki are STILL denying vergeben being right... Even though the direct this morning PROVED beyond a shadow of a doubt nearly all his claims.. I wonder how they talk with loz18's **** in their mouth.. Because he, a proven lying troll, is still considered legit. Christ why does this make me angry?
I, for one, welcome our Steve overlord

LuigiBros7

Smash Rookie
I'd say that's a good thing. Smash Wii U's biggest problem was trying to fit in as many things as possible, and that really hurt a lot of the potential of some modes as a result, as none of them felt like they were polished all that well.

Sometimes less is more. Less modes means more focus and polish went into what's there.
I don't disagree with you as I felt the same way about Smash 4, it felt like it was spread too thin. I guess my main problem comes from equipment being such a dud feature in Smash 4 I don't understand why it's now become the focal point of the singleplayer content. If Spirits is an Event mode replacement, I think that's fair, I just don't think the whole system can make up for everything else that's missing. On a side note, I think it'll be pretty disappointing if all the Adventure Mode bosses are from Brawl/4 save Rathalos and Dracula. Things like that would tip the fine balance of the game being 'ultimate' and the game feeling like a double down on asset reuse in the latter's favor.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

I know that feel bro. The struggle is real....

Here's to hoping our faves make it to DLC.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Gah, I was really banking on Young Link transforming into Adult Link and THEN doing triforce slash.

I mean, Young Link doesn't even ever have the triforce does he, at least not until he's an adult?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I recall Verg still having his hiccups though. He was right, just not 100%, I believe. Wasn't the whole Minecraft stuff supposed to be not DLC?

beans

Smash Lord
Trophies seemed like a massive effort for little payoff.
That's over 1000 models they have to work on, I cannot imagine that being too easy on the development team.
Quality over quantity man
It just sad that the ultimate entry doesnt have a series staple

Untouch

Smash Master
Hmm, both the DOOM and Dragon Quest twitter have commented on DOOMGUY and Slime being in Smash. I would say that this is bad for both of these characters (NDA and all) but I have to wonder how much the PR guy would know about this and if the characters were even planned at that point.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
I still haven't processed that Piranha Plant is a playable character. It's like my brain doesn't understand what it truly means for PP to be a fully playable character. This will be possible and I can't even imagine it as I doodled it:
Kirby will have a Piranha Plant hat
PP will grab items
PP will run and jump and ****
A fully playable character
My tiny brain can't comprehend the galactic brain of Mr. Masahiro Sakurai

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Isaac fans are not wholly critical because Isaac is an AT again.

They're wholly critical because he's an AT again after a complete absence from the last game.

Subtle, but significant, difference.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
ken comp.png

Let's all take a moment and appreciate Nintendo for doing what Capcom can't seem to do with their own character.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I recall Verg still having his hiccups though. He was right, just not 100%, I believe. Wasn't the whole Minecraft stuff supposed to be not DLC?
Yeah but they treat loz like hes some sort of ****in prophet when he was a dumb troll who guessed a bunch of **** and then his luck ran out with skull kid. And Gematsu got stuff wrong and he still has his own ****in page! AND EVEN THEN HE WASNT WRONG JUST THE STUFF HE WAS WRONG ABOUT WAS SCRAPPED!

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
As of June 2018, the Switch has sold about 20 million units. Ultimate without DLC or any add-ons costs $60 USD and a rough equivalent in all other currencies. Ignoring the possibility that people (like myself) will buy a Switch just for Ultimate, and ignoring any profits to be made off of the resulting Switch Online memberships and DLC, that means there's 20 million people who can buy Ultimate.

If we assume that 80% of those people will at any point buy Ultimate (which isn't unreasonable at all considering previous Smash titles' success), then that's $960,000,000, or almost a billion dollars. Super Smash Bros Ultimate could be a billion-dollar game featuring plumbers, talking dogs, ten-year-old children who fight the universe and win, a guy who is both a pig and a Gerudo, a mythical dinosaur-ish thing, a balloon with eyeballs, and a crocodile.

Smash could make more money than Star Wars, and it'll do it with the cast of characters from your most recent LSD trip.
and a plant.

That's important.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I still haven't processed that Piranha Plant is a playable character. It's like my brain doesn't understand what it truly means for PP to be a fully playable character. This will be possible and I can't even imagine it as I doodled it:
Kirby will have a Piranha Plant hat
PP will grab items
PP will run and jump and ****
A fully playable character
My tiny brain can't comprehend the galactic brain of Mr. Masahiro Sakurai
Exactly

Like it's just
Not meshing with my brain

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So... I'm back from a long day of work...
Time to post my thoughts on the Direct

Ice Age Ken was real... He did the thumbs up and everything... I don't think we've ever had an image leak like that before.. Also, Ken looks dope

Incineroar looks lit... Easily, going to be my main... Also Vergeben was right... Called it...

Pretty sure Piranha Plant was conceived when Sakurai got drunk at a party, and made a bet with someone to make the dumbest character possible... That being said, it looks awesome...

Dude, that Spirits / Story mode... Nice to see some none playable characters being involved more. Also, my girl... (So many mixed emotions...)

Speaking of non playable characters, RIP Isaac and Shadow... But mostly Shadow. He had so much going for him, such as Knuckles seemingly replacng him, and just seeming like a reasonable echo... Alas, that was not to be... My condolences to Shadow fans...

Can't wait for DLC, that's gonna be fun...

Rex and Pyra, Springman, and Ribbon Girl being in others roles makes it more likely for Elma and Min Min to be possible DLC which makes me happy...

Rhythm Heaven barley came out harmed... Reporter and Wrestler didn't make it... But other than that, there's still a chance for an RH rep to be DLC...

My Bandanna Bro was nowhere to be found... DLC Perhaps?

Overall, I really liked this direct...

and oh yeah, Rip Grinch Leak...

Last edited:

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Oh yeah, you were teamreal, weren't you?
How does it feel to be bamboozled? Not in like a meme question I'm genuinely curious.
Anger at first and then acceptance
Didn't he only ever say that there'd be Minecraft content?

Maybe Steve is just a Spirit.
If Minecraft content is in, then it has to be a part of the dlc pack, which has a fighter, a stage, and tons of music. At this point, it can't be in game, so it has to be dlc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom