• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
They could show more of Bayonetta 3. They haven't update on that in forever.

More on Animal Crossing perhaps?

I don't know. I'm sure they'd have a reason for TWO directs.

Freaky Mutant Man

Smash Apprentice
So, what exactly would they even show off in a General Direct?

The September one seemed to cover their holiday lineup well enough, and it seems too early to go hard on their early-mid 2019 titles.
Perhaps it isn't a general direct, but rather a Pokemon Let's Go direct? Just a thought, but seems reasonable enough, given how close that is to release.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Not trying to start a flame war or anything but what if Incineroar is confirmed in the next direct, but nothing outright deconfirm anything about the banner leaks, would you Team Real people still believe the leak?

doomedtacox

Smash Ace

The September one seemed to cover their holiday lineup well enough, and it seems too early to go hard on their early-mid 2019 titles.
My guess is it'll be a mini direct within various gameplay teasers and maybe a couple smaller releases being announced. Metroid prime trilogy remaster? And they'll also talk about Mario Kart Mobile.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
Not trying to start a flame war or anything but what if Incineroar is confirmed in the next direct, but nothing outright deconfirm anything about the banner leaks, would you Team Real people still believe the leak?
I'll have no idea what the heck to believe, to be honest.

Loog

Smash Apprentice
Confident there'll be more Square Enix stuff.

What that stuff might be, I have no clue. I'd hope NieR with how much they're pushing it in general lately, but I'd expect something else like more Final Fantasy, Maybe even more Dragon Quest.
There's that secret of mana collection I'd like to see localized here.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
Guys apparently King Zell has said we'll indeed be getting a direct this week. ResetEra has claimed he has a spotless track record and is generally viewed as one of the most trusted insiders. HYPE!

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
Any character that's not on the banner or any banner character revealed with different banner art puts me 100% on team fake. (I'm on team real ATM, but just barely)

radBoss

Smash Cadet

I would say it's a chance to get a little in depth with a few of their upcoming releases. 5 to 7 minutes on a few titles can get 20 minutes out pretty quickly.

potato69

Smash Apprentice
Are we talking about tags now? Honestly, I've been using a 'potatoes' tag on the wii u version, but I'm sick of being associated with potatoes nowadays. My username is potato related because I quickly whipped up this account to see a smash 4 leak lol. For ultimate, I will no longer be known as the potato guy (hopefully). Now if only I could think of something...

As for the direct(s), I'm just glad this banner speculation stuff is coming to an end soon. I'm sick of it, almost as much as I am sick of potatoes.

Fortnite4Smash

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone noticed that Papagenos' theory about Sakurai meeting up with Microsoft at E3 has been taken as fact?

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman

A Pokémon direct for the Let’s go games?...do Nintendo even do Pokémon directs?

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
You know for the first few days the discussion was interesting and amusing, now it's just kind of getting old now. Probably because there are constantly dozen upon dozens of pages with the same stuff being said.

Chrono.

Perhaps it isn't a general direct, but rather a Pokemon Let's Go direct? Just a thought, but seems reasonable enough, given how close that is to release.
That's even less likely imo.

The MO with Pokemon has remained consistent through the recent years. Use Pokemon Directs to make big premier announcements, then pump out info every month via short trailers.

Let's Go wasn't announced in a Direct but it has followed the same operandi SM and USM did, with big chunks of info every month leading up to the release. There's not a lot else to learn about the game anymore either, the last trailer even focused on post-game content which is usually a sign they're wrapping things up.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion

Imagine.....2 part smash direct?

The next Avengers 3 and 4?????

"HOPE YOU ENJOYED THIS THE CONTENT WEVE SHOWN, PLEASE ENJOY ANOTHER DIRECT NEXT WEEK"

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Wasn't there also suppose to be more Mario Kart 8 DLC?

Maybe they could show that? Imagine if they revealed Geno for Smash, Mario Kart 8, and Mario Tennis Aces all at once.

I think his fans might explode.

Naiko3232

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone noticed that Papagenos' theory about Sakurai meeting up with Microsoft at E3 has been taken as fact?
wait a sec, the Xbox event is also this month, there's a chance something Banjo related is there as well, probably...probably all of this lines up.

NineS

Smash Lord
The tags you use in the actual game. It's been a feature since Melee
Oh, you mean the actual in-game name tags.
That one flew over my head.

Definitely going with "NineS".
Are we talking about tags now? Honestly, I've been using a 'potatoes' tag on the wii u version, but I'm sick of being associated with potatoes nowadays. My username is potato related because I quickly whipped up this account to see a smash 4 leak lol. For ultimate, I will no longer be known as the potato guy (hopefully). Now if only I could think of something...

As for the direct(s), I'm just glad this banner speculation stuff is coming to an end soon. I'm sick of it, almost as much as I am sick of potatoes.
You know, if you're stick of potatoes...

I hear yams are pretty good.. And so are spuds...

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Anyway after all that arguing. Who would be your first DLC character you will support? (This is assuming if the grinch leak is real)
Me I would support Bandana dee he is my 2nd most wanted. I gotta show support for the spear boy :)
There's plenty of characters I would gladly want as DLC for this game. Bandana Waddle Dee, Spring Man, Rex & Pyra, Dixie Kong, Decidueye, and pretty much all of the leaked characters if they don't make it in, especially Geno and Shadow. I would even support some lesser requests like Phoenix Wright and Amaterasu.

However, since I think this thread needs badly to distract itself from what's going on, I'll instead talk about two characters that I feel deserve discussion. I've seen individual comments about these two characters from people here and there, but I think that the amount of support I have for the two of them is rather uncommon. I don't think I'll actively be supporting them as much as some of the DLC characters I've already posted, but I feel they deserve discussion regardless.

That said... please forgive me. I'm about to talk about another Mario rep and another Pokemon rep.

In terms of Mario representatives, the three I've seen the most demand for are Geno, Waluigi, and Captain Toad. I think that all of these three characters are great choices, (especially Geno,) but I'm pretty shocked that this Mario character has slipped largely under the radar.

Yep, Petey Piranha. You know, the Mario character that has appeared in over twenty games in the past sixteen years of being part of the franchise, including showing up as a boss back in Super Smash Bros. Brawl? That Petey Piranha? Why does no one talk about him? I mean, prior to the announcement of Ridley, you could use the "too big" argument I suppose, but that argument has pretty much been thrown out the window by Ridley's inclusion, at least for someone like Petey, who is, at his largest, comparable to Ridley's canon size. Since he has served as a boss multiple times throughout both the main series and the RPGs, he easily has enough of a moveset to pull from, too. Petey can fly, create tornadoes, headbutt, shoot projectile goop, bite, attack with his leaves, etc. On top of all that, he's a total dork!

Personally, I think Petey's inclusion would be just about as good as Waluigi's, and way better than Captain Toad's, and for the life of me, I don't understand why people don't talk about him more.

On the other hand, I do understand why people don't talk about this character as much because he's the Pokemon equivalent of Geno: his only major appearance was in one spin-off title that's relatively old now, (though not quite as old as Super Mario RPG.) Still, like Geno, there's a lot of love for this character, and I think he deserves to be recognized in Smash, though I'm doubtful it will ever happen. For those still wondering who I'm referring to, I'm talking about...

Grovyle from Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorer's of Sky. (And technically from Explorer's of Time/Explorer's of Darkness, but seriously, just play Sky.)

Now the thing with Grovyle is that it's... really hard to talk about him without spoiling the contents of the game. It's quite the old game at this point, but one I would absolutely recommend to everyone at the drop of a hat. It's in the top 10 best games of all time for me, maybe top 5. Anyone who has played it and loves it as much as I do would know why Grovyle is significant, but for those who haven't, I'll try to phrase this as best I can.

First of all, no, you couldn't just include a regular Grovyle in Smash and achieve the same effect. He's an established character with a distinct personality and skillset that distinguishes him from his species. Even cosmetically, you could distinguish him by having him be voiced by Dan Green like he is in the anime adaptation, (with fully voiced dialogue like Lucario, not just Pokemon noises,) and by giving him the explorer's pouch from the games, which he also wears in the anime adaptation:

Of course, his differences wouldn't be just limited to cosmetics. Grovyle in Mystery Dungeon is a master escape artist; he knows the move Dig and utilizes an in-game item known as a Luminous Orb like a flashbang; both of those could easily be incorporated into a moveset. For example, Dig could be a move with long startup and endlag, but the move would be extremely strong in terms of damage/knockback and do extra damage on shield. Grovyle would also be invincible and able to move around while underground for up to 2 seconds or so, but no longer than that without automatically releasing the move and being susceptible to a big punish. Luminous Orb works like the item Deku Seed if he threw it straight down (and didn't damage himself with it), but it does minimal damage and has startup comparable to Ridley's Down Special instead of Mewtwo's Down Special, as well as no effect on aerial opponents. He could even utilize other items unique to Mystery Dungeon in his moveset. This is just me spitballing, but Grovyle could absolutely be made to be distinguished from a normal member of his species both in terms of design and moveset. It's not like throwing in some regular Grovyle attacks into the mix would be a sin or woefully out of character, either.

Yes I know he's obscure, not relevant, and has only had one major appearance, but the reason I compared him to Geno is I know for a fact that he has had a similar effect on a lot of people that Geno has. The Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series is a cult classic that is well-loved for its unique gameplay, endearing and in depth characters, extremely strong and emotional storytelling, and lasting appeal. Grovyle is arguably the most popular character from the most popular game, and I hope that one day he makes it to Smash. I wouldn't count on it, though.

This took a while for me to type, so if you read it all, thanks. Let me know what you think of these two, whether you agree or disagree! Hell, maybe if more people become interested in them, I might be more active in pushing for them to be a part of the series some day myself.

Last edited:

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
It is more the other way around. Phil ate with Nintendo, not Sakurai and Microsoft.
IMO, this is nothing too special considering Phil is very chill, but if they were making a deal, it would be for DLC as there is just not enough to make new content this late. This also doesn't mean Banjo isn't already in the base game, but I highly believe this event is more casual than business.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The stage post being moved up to Monday might be because we're getting a newcomer in the first direct come to think of it. They typically go up on the website they day of the direct.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
When do you guys think they'll announcement the first DLC? Final and second direct in November, game awards or early next year?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'm not sure if I'll use "Zachmac", "Mr.Dragon" or "Z-man" as my most used tag. Probably Mr.Dragon or Zacmac online but Z-man in person because its easier to type.

Z-man is a cheesy nickname one of my sisters gave me, by the way. She loves to say dumb stuff like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom