• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
I just got back from using the toilet. Anything new since I left since you were all paying attention to my last time on the thread?

Alaskalana

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Alaskalana
3DS FC
4871-7882-0999
Switch FC
SW-2013-3915-8713
10 DLC characters I'd gladly buy? Dante, Bandana Dee, Shanoa, (I really need to think from this point) Blaze the Cat, Chun Li, Morrigan, Isaac, MGR Raiden, Master Chief and Crash Bandicoot
You had me at Shanoa :D

Artorias

Smash Journeyman
Which is unlikely, but possible.
And we say 5 original, potentially 6 with inciniroar and the two echos. The 8.8 had characters as bookends. So dividing by 5/6 seems to be tough.

I am unsure about that. Seems like something the Pokemon company would be against. Being bait is showing exactly what would happen. Turning "real" fans into cannibals. I am pretty sure any creator would want to avoid being bait.

I think they would have chosen someone else honestly.
If they planned to add no pokemon at all to the base roster, who else better to be leaker bait than a pokemon, a franchise that so far, always has gotten a brand new character at the very least in every single smash game? Said employee would have no reason to doubt that, and the person they leaked it towards wouldn't doubt it either

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
If they planned to add no pokemon at all to the base roster, who else better to be leaker bait than a pokemon, a franchise that so far, always has gotten a brand new character at the very least in every single smash game? Said employee would have no reason to doubt that, and the person they leaked it towards wouldn't doubt it either
I think Mach Rider would have been good leaker bait. And Ray 101. Both are rather old and obscure. Fits Sakurai's MO. A character that seems plausible, but not damaging to a current property.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Imagine if Ridley & King.K weren't announced yet and were on the Grinch banner.

Ohhhhh boy, it wouldn't be good to see.
It makes me so relieved that Ridley and K. Rool were revealed - whether the leak is real or fake, they're definitely going to be in the game.

I could imagine that, if they weren't revealed for this leak, it would be even worse for the Ridley fandom because his colour and placement on the leak results in him blending into the background. People would be debating whether that's Ridley in the top right corner, or just some clouds.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Imagine if Ridley & King.K weren't announced yet and were on the Grinch banner.

Ohhhhh boy, it wouldn't be good to see.
It'd get extra messy as Ridley is barely visible on the leak, he just kinda blends into the background, so you'd have a ton of people arguing whether it's actually Ridley or just clouds. Thankfully we were spared of Ridley In The Clouds 2.0.

Edit: Megadoomer Megadoomer :ultgreninja:'d me.

Last edited:

Edink

Smash Cadet
Not that i truly trust his info since he changed it a few times, but the AT can't be:

- Ken
- Shadow
- Isaac
- Geno
- Chorus Kids

Since he "Confirmed" all 5 of them technically.

My guess is he's hinting at Mach rider being an AT? Banjo literally would set the Smash fan base on fire if he was an AT and I doubt Microsoft or Sakurai would ever want him as one only.

Edit: And it's ALSO possible one of his sources confused an AT for an actual character or the AT was promoted to character after some time. Who knows
Well, yes, I'm sorry but Mach Rider makes more sense in my opinion to be an AT, although it doesn't make sense to be in the banner. Yes, there is that little Mr. Saturn but dude, Mach Rider is massive, it doesn't make sense if the banner is real unless it is partially real, would that make sense? I mean, leak the entire roster and draw one character to annoy people? Not really... I think I should attend my photography class now.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
https://twitter.com/APZonerunner/status/1056856886857863168

Oh look another "insider" doubting the leak.

I am far past thinking this is your usual fake leak. Either this is outdated information or correct information. There's no way to explain the MULTIPLE "coincidences" that go in the leaks favor, GameXplain's strange silence, etc.

These "insiders" are going to LOSE a lot of credibility if it becomes correct information.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
It was linked a couple pages ago from someone who DM'd him. Either someone'll have the link or you'll have to go back to try and find it. If I manage to find it before someone else does, I'll post it.

Edit: I found the image, but can't remember who linked it, sorry.

View attachment 173243
You can rule out Banjo and Ken as assist trophies. And probably the Chorus Men/Mach too.

Shadow or Isaac would be the most likely ones out of the Grinch characters to be assists (as they already were).

Artorias

Smash Journeyman
I think Mach Rider would have been good leaker bait. And Ray 101. Both are rather old and obscure. Fits Sakurai's MO. A character that seems plausible, but not damaging to a current property.
Fair point, but i think it's not damaging to the franchise being part of a leak text post like Vergeben's leaks were. Rather than get mad at Smash bros, the people that bought it would get mad at the fake leaker instead.
I would like to clarify btw that i have absolutely nothing againts pokemon or incineroar btw, i personally love both and i would have liked either him or decidueye getting into smash, but i also see why he would be easy leaker bait

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
People would be debating whether that's Ridley in the top right corner, or just some clouds.
It'd get extra messy as Ridley is barely visible on the leak, he just kinda blends into the background, so you'd have a ton of people arguing whether it's actually Ridley or just clouds. Thankfully we were spared of Ridley In The Clouds 2.0.

Edit: Megadoomer Megadoomer :ultgreninja:'d me.

I guess some things would never change, huh?

Wambo

Smash Ace

ExitWound

Smash Journeyman
"Fun isn't something one considers when breaking NDAs.
But this...
...DOES put a smile on my face."

D

Deleted member

MY GOD the stress from not knowing if this leak is real has actually given me zits.
Also. Is anyone else actually surprised that Sakurai hasn't even considered Transformers and/or ponies for Smash yet, given the amazing relationship between Hasbro and Nintendo? I mean, look at Monopoly Gamer, that's a thing now and so far it's only Nintendo-based.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Fair point, but i think it's not damaging to the franchise being part of a leak text post like Vergeben's leaks were. Rather than get mad at Smash bros, the people that bought it would get mad at the fake leaker instead.
I would like to clarify btw that i have absolutely nothing againts pokemon or incineroar btw, i personally love both and i would have liked either him or decidueye getting into smash, but i also see why he would be easy leaker bait
I subscribe to the box, so it is obvious what I am thinking, but Papagenos mentioned in a video that if Banjo was added late, he could have taken Inciniroars place (pushing fire cat into DLC). Seemed like a plausible idea even if a stretch.

There have been so many fake Leaks this run, I cannot tell which characters would have been used otherwise to be fake. The only concrete leak we have had so far is the Ken one and the banner. Other than that, everything else has been chaos.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I didn't think i would despise the existence of insiders but holy crap this leak has outright made me do it.
The fact that they just deny the leak immediately without even going into the details on a basic level shows either they are all extremely arrogant (which I wouldn't doubt), or, you know damage control like GameXplain

Confirmation

Smash Ace
If someone told me a week ago that papagenos had a strong chance of being the most reliable source for insider Smash knowledge, I would've dropped them off a 39 1/2 foot cliff.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Well there we have it, boys. I guess all we have to do is wait a few days and then we can finally laugh in the faces of all the shills.

And by "all", I mean just GameXplain.
Show at least a little respect to insiders, will ya?
Also, that mech gun thing...
When did Sakurai ever say it was meant for a fighter?
It could very well be used for Mach Rider's Assist...
MY GOD the stress from not knowing if this leak is real has actually given me zits.
Also. Is anyone else actually surprised that Sakurai hasn't even considered Transformers and/or ponies for Smash yet, given the amazing relationship between Hasbro and Nintendo? I mean, look at Monopoly Gamer, that's a thing now and so far it's only Nintendo-based.
Let's not go there...
Though Mr Monopoly would be an ironically amazing character

Last edited:

Artorias

Smash Journeyman
One insider came clean and said which ones from the banner should be playable

It’s all from my list except Mach rider

That’s pretty much half way anyway
I don't think anyone has answered before to the question various of us posed as of what this insider has correctly predicted before nintendo related though. Anyone can come up and say they have an inside source that confirmed or deconfirmed the leak

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
oh nonono, if we're getting a Hasbro rep it better be
Mr._Potato_Head_Render.png

Wambo

Smash Ace
I didn't think i would despise the existence of insiders but holy crap this leak has outright made me do it.
Sakurai has a team of 100+ people working on Ultimate and Team Fake think it's too far out of the realm of possibility that some of those employees are told to put out false information whenever they have a chance (not saying as part of their job, but if friends/family ask outside of work, they can just say random characters).

Honestly, most of the Sources are probably just 12 year-old kids of the guys working on the game, and Incineroar is probably a codename or inside joke that they tell to their kids, which is why everyone thinks Incineroar is gonna get in.

EDIT: Or PapaGenos is right and Incineroar is DLC now. Honestly, I believe his source a lot more after seeing this: https://mobile.twitter.com/KantoPancakes/status/1056724709549719552?s=19

The leak/insider information is probably one big telephone game that went bat**** crazy.

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Why not Captain Falcon?
Captain Falcon would make sense too - I was just listing the others as they all ride bikes, like Mach Rider. And you don't bring cars to a bike race (unless it's Mario Kart).

Also, I haven't fully looked into it, but isn't it just as likely that the lunch at e3 was to do with the cross-play stuff they've been pushing?

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Final thought.

We all know that They have been putting out fake characters to trick and obfuscate the real roster. What is to say that Nintendo is not doing the same with banners.

We know for a fact that as more people hear of the roster, the harder it is to contain. If they have multiple companies filling in orders for characters, what is to say they waste a few 100 bucks to have fake banners made to muddy the waters even more. Could explain why no one can agree on it.

It is unlikely, but something to consider.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
i would think that, if there really were dev time conflicts between banjo and incineroar, they'd push the bear and bird to dlc rather than the cat. mostly because i imagine they'd sell better on their own than a somewhat controversial pokemon would.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
I heard that Papagenos brought up the video. Can you please give me the link? I was told the TLDR/details, but not the link.

Apparently, the source says that Incineroar was SUPPOSED to be in the game, but instead he was cut from base/moved to DLC when he met up with Phil to recruit Banjo. Moreover, the Minecraft rumor was just leakbait, meaning Vergeben has been tricked (I feel bad for him.). Finally, Nintendo is doing damage-control.

P.S. What does 'damage control' means?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom