• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Imagine if they scattered several mini-directs over the course of November as a sort of "Advent Calendar" type thing for Smash's release. :estatic:

then we get a cinematic trailer for the first batch of DLC (Q1 2019):
BANJO & KAZZOIE make a rare appearance! (got the caption from a fanmade splash card)
SORA has the key to victory!
STEVE joins the game (itsaminecraftreference)
Leak aside, these announced as DLC would be aaaaaaawesome.
Steve included.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
You know...reading through some of the last pages makes me realize how Hawkeye must have felt during Civil War
"Really? I retired for, what, like 5 minutes? And it all goes to ****."

Anyway i still kinda hope that the Grinch-Leak ist fake. Not because the characters would be dissapointing (Banjo & Shadow yes please, but i miss my girl Elma...), but because if some of those characters get confirmed and their pose is the same like in the leak...the surprise is pretty much ruined...Sakurai and his team worked their behinds of to keep it a secret and in the end all of it ruined because of some *word* wanted his/her 10 minutes of fame.

Imagine if Cloud got leaked for Smash 4. We maybe never got amazing reactions like the one of Maximilian Dood ("How is this real? That trailer is ******* fake.".

Thats just my 2 cents to that...

D

Deleted member

It would be Sumia and you know it.
(Poor Cordelia)
That's the joke. :p

(I wanted to pair Cordelia with Chrom back in the Awakening days, but noooooooo IS just had to make her the only one that couldn't marry him...)

Last edited by a moderator:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
August 8th
Open with a character trailer, Ken and Incineroar, showcasing a new stage, Ultra Space.
After that he'll explain Ken and Incineroar, then Ultra Space and the ultra beast stage hazards that can show up.
That'll segue into explaining the remaining 4 stages he hasn't shown off, for whatever reason.
He'll explain the rest of the assist trophies and items in the game as well.
From that, he'll go over Spirits mode and how it functions, this'll be the bulk of the direct.
Then he'll explain the online functionality and remaining single player stuff.
Then he'll end with a TestSmash announcement for the 16th, maybe a Spirits mode trailer at the very end.

My theory that new series don't end the direct has been 3 for 3 so far, they usually come with stages and Sakurai has been explaining them, that's why I don't think we're getting a character trailer at the end this time, unless Incineroar is at the end and they start with a new series. I do not Incineroar is getting a new stage though since the Ultra Beasts who are the focal point of SM's story are strangely absent so far.
Leaks aside I'm also of the idea that every character will be talked about before we get the Spirits reveal. Why? Because I think Spirits tie directly to unlocking the roster so what a great transition it would be to show the full roster, then be like but remember you have to unlock everyone, and here's how you do that. Boom, I should direct Smash directs :p I also think a test Smash is just as good of a thing to end the direct on as a character reveal - but that's just me.

It's one of the reasons I don't expect to get 7+ characters revealed in the next direct, but of course that's just my own opinion and gut feeling. I am betting on all remaining characters being revealed and then going into the Spirits reveal though.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I'm rather feeling bad for the company who was just in a lose lose lose situation.

-Don't comment "Oh must be NDA"

-comment "Oh must be a cover-up'

-Remove commentary "Oh it's a confirmation"

-Remove video "Oh it's a confirmation"

To be fair, they are ****ed no matter what and people will use it as a proof when that company is probably getting harassed by e-mail and call for five days now

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
This might be an unpopular opinion, but Banjo instead of Steve for a Microsoft rep makes perfect sense.

Think about it, Smash is all about video game history, and introducing that history to it's players, young and old.

These characters spark interest into these fans. Making Smash somewhat of an advertisement as well. Hell, I've never played a Mother game in my life, as well as many others until Ness was included in Smash 64.

Smash boosts interest in characters that will probably never get their time to shine again. Just look at Ice Climbers, G&W, R.O.B., Duck Hunt, and Mach Rider. These unique characters get people talking, and learning more about their history in the gaming world.

Banjo was a big hit back in the 64 days, considerably one of Rare's biggest IPs, but hasn't really seen too many stellar appearances in video games lately. Same goes for Mega Man, who was neglected by Capcom until he was given his massive revival in Sm4sh.

While Steve would be popular with the kids, adding Banjo would get the younger generation talking. Probably even wanting their parents to dig up their old N64 carts. High interest in Banjo could even get Microsoft to return him to his old 3D platforming roots. (Banjo Threeie?) Seeing as how Mega Man 11 was an amazing game considering how recently it was made.

All in all, I'm still holding out for this leak, as there is so much potential for each of these characters. I'd still be happy with Sakurai's decisions nonetheless, as this game is already shattering expectations.
Well, I've been saying it forever (though I've tried to be nice in focusing on Banjo's positives). But my question would be why go to Microsoft at all, unless it was for a cherished Nintendo icon back in the day, at least at first. Their ties with Nintendo, in addition to their popularity in 2015, and platforming moveset from back in the days where Smash 64 was a fighter of platforming characters--it all makes sense to me. And if Sakurai thought Banjo was considered by some an "obvious inclusion" back in the Melee days, but couldn't because of legal issues--if those legal issues were no longer an issue, there's nothing much else from stopping their inclusion. And what better way to "make the impossible possible" by including one more character thought by many, until Spencer's tweet, truly impossible.

mjmannella

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
6515-6020-5729
This is never-been-caught serial killer-level madness.

Everyone not convinced of the leak should stop saying it is fake. It's 100% real like the ESRB "Shulk is a Photoshopped Little Mac" leak. The Nintendo shills Imran and GameXplain are going to down-play the leak as much as they can to try to save face for Nintendo.
No need to be so full of yourself. Arsty Omni has provided many good reasons as to why the banner could be fabricated. If the banner can 100% be rpoved to be fake, all this connection will end up being conjecture for short-ended strings.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I'm rather feeling bad for the company who was just in a lose lose lose situation.

To be fair, they are ****ed no matter what and people will use it as a proof when that company is probably getting harassed by e-mail and call for five days now
The only winning move is not to play IMO.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
"Support and DLC for the game will continue for the next year. People with a Nintendo Online subscription get the DLC for free."
Thing that would make me happy.

Christmas indeed came early.
is your name Christmas
is that what the C stands for

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
You know...reading through some of the last pages makes me realize how Hawkeye must have felt during Civil War
"Really? I retired for, what, like 5 minutes? And it all goes to ****."

Anyway i still kinda hope that the Grinch-Leak ist fake. Not because the characters would be dissapointing (Banjo & Shadow yes please, but i miss my girl Elma...), but because if some of those characters get confirmed and their pose is the same like in the leak...the surprise is pretty much ruined...Sakurai and his team worked their behinds of to keep it a secret and in the end all of it ruined because of some *word* wanted his/her 10 minutes of fame.

Imagine if Cloud got leaked for Smash 4. We maybe never got amazing reactions like the one of Maximilian Dood ("How is this real? That trailer is ******* fake.".

Thats just my 2 cents to that...
I mean its not like this is the first time the roster had been leaked before launch.

Both Brawl and Sm4sh had their rosters leaked too.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace

If they comment and the leak is true then they'd be breaking NDA anyways so a definitive comment would mean it's fake and "it's a cover up" wouldn't be valid.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Imagine the adrenaline that would run through everybody's veins if Sakurai first starts off the Direct by revealing the rest of the ATs...

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
So someone on 4chan made this handy little image:

View attachment 172968

The video takedown, and confirmation that Bamco spreads fake leaks are both very interesting to note.
The thing about the two Marios in the music section is that they always had Mario Kart music separate since Brawl. The only way this would work is if they changed it so Mario 1 is the platformers and Mario 2 is the rest of the series.

Also when I said "boomer now means age is in the double digits" I had no idea that we'd see a boomer edit of a 10-year-old boy.

Last edited:

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
Last edited:

Tyrathius

Smash Cadet
I still can't say that I 100% believe the leak, because I think everything that supports it can be explained in ways other than the leak being true. There is still the possibility that it's all an elaborate hoax.

However, I will say that the number of things that are lining up to support it are absolutely ridiculous -including things the leaker couldn't possibly have controlled, like the video being taken down and a possible Golden Sun item being shown by Nintendo. If this leak is fake, then it's maker is not just the most talented fake leaker ever, but the luckiest.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

People are obviously going to twist things as they please, but removing things really is the worst course of action in a situation like this. If they make a statement that refutes the leak, or just make no comment, then they don't provoke any immediate suspicions at least.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Imagine the adrenaline that would run through everybody's veins if Sakurai first starts off the Direct by revealing the rest of the ATs...
"Let's... play... CHARACTER DECONFIRMATION! And you get a deconfirmation, and you get a deconfirmation, and you and you." The game nobody wants to win.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
GAME:

List a DLC character for each month of 2019

1 - Agumon
2 - Crash
3 - Elma
4 - Rex
5 - Bandana Dee
6 - Doomguy
7 - Crono
8 - Octoling
9 - Kyo
10 - Travis
11 - Gen 7 Pokémon
12 - Gen 8 Pokémon
Late December: Lycanroc and Rowlet (:ultjigglypuff: echo)
Jan: Spring Man and Ribbon Girl (Spring Man echo fighter)
Feb: Rex and Octoling (:ultinkling: echo)
March: Bandana Dee and Morpho Knight (:ultmetaknight: echo)
April: Crash Bandicoot and Midbus (:ultbowser: echo)
May: Skull Kid/Champion and Impa (:ultsheik: echo)
June: Tails and Jenanne (:ultbayonetta: echo)
July: Edlegarde and Hector (Gargled echo)
August: Maxwell and Lily (Maxwell echo)
September: Sushi Striker and Felix (Issac Echo)
October: Gen 8 Pokemon and Blaziken (:ultfalcon: echo)
November: Chibi-Robo and Exitebiker (Mach Rider echo)
December 2019: Sora and Roxas (Sora Echo)

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
No need to be so full of yourself. Arsty Omni has provided many good reasons as to why the banner could be fabricated. If the banner can 100% be rpoved to be fake, all this connection will end up being conjecture for short-ended strings.
I'll say it for the 1000th time though. It's not just the art. Not even close. There is a legitimate profile and history to this leak, unlike every other leak ever save for ESRB

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't have a problem with Assist Trophies but it would be interesting to wait until we see it all if Isaac is among them.

"Let's... play... CHARACTER DECONFIRMATION! And you get a deconfirmation, and you get a deconfirmation, and you and you." The game nobody wants to win.
Dunno, Isaac didn't win it last time and his fans wasn't so happy.

Last edited:

beans

Smash Lord
So the Grinch is still alive for how long?
4,5 days?
Did Sassy Geno survive ths long? Just asking.
Still on Team procrastination till direct, leaning into real.
This leak has so many absurd details that its stupid for it be fake and and stupid for it be real.

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
Off topic, but it's actually snowing where I live, which means were finally in the home stretch!

It's been a long way coming, from the March direct teaser to the "EVERYONE IS HERE!" trailer, and K. Rool finally getting to be a playable character in smash after not physically appearing in any media for a whole decade. From a multitude of fake (and possibly real) leaks and rumors, to the freaking Grinch possibly leaking smash, It's been a long way coming, but we're almost there.

We just gotta hang in there, (hopefully) not take leaks too seriously, and enjoy the final month before this amazing game releases.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
So the Grinch is still alive for how long?
4,5 days?
Did Sassy Geno survive ths long? Just asking.
Still on Team procrastination till direct, leaning into real.
This leak has so many absurd details that its stupid for it be fake and and stupid for it be real.
Sassy Geno was around for a while, it just didn't blow up until last week or so.

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
You know all this back and forth surrounding insider information and attitude makes me wish Etika was at his most healthy and willing so he could discuss this. He wasn't afraid to put some crazy stuff out there and was willing to believe much of anything.

Those would have been some interesting streams, specially with his connections to many of the people holding insider info.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
What I absolutely don't get is if ACP or whatever removed the video for harassment reasons, that's NOT the logical way to stop being harassed.

I'm inclined to say they are bound to get EVEN more harassed because they removed it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom