• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Right, but is it really wise to ignore the leak and then confirm it several weeks later? The longer they wait, the more this leak spreads, and the more it spreads, the less exciting the eventual confirmation will be. Hype is what drives every new Smash release, and the best way to keep hype level high is to surprise people. Wait too long and people won't be surprised anymore.

"Look guys, we added Banjo! Isn't that awesome?!"
Yawns "Yes Nintendo we knew that back in October."
I mean, when we weren't supposed to know that info it wasn't Nintendo's fault. It's like when Roy and Ryu were confirmed and ORAS confirmed Mega Lati twins. "We already knew that" But we weren't SUPPOSED to know that!

Chrollo.

fka president wario
You know, I’m still expecting one more big leak before the next direct. It’s just too soon until release that I cannot imagine something else big not happening.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
The Threads I use, and how people are responding:

The RH and Chorus Kid threads are of course, rejoicing,
The Elma support thread is taking it very well...
The Incineroar thread doesn't believe it
The Ayumi thread is a bit bummed that the retro rep is Mach Rider
The Steve thread is a little mad that Banjo got in, and they hope that it's fake
And in the Skull Kid thread, we're looking for him in Mach Rider's bike.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I think kazooie in the render scared of something definately gives team real some points

I mean you search kazooie 100% chance you will not find him scared like that

Oh there’s another thing I realized suposivly snake aiming at them

It’s actually a reference to a mission in metal gear V

D

Deleted member

i love how two sides of the leak spectrum has lead to it's own lore and story

With steve being the main villain
I dunno. If I made this comic, I would have had Sans from Undertale and Freddy Bear from Five Nights at Freddy's be Steve's henchmen. Basically, all games that are only popular as memes be aligned together for a common goal; to ruin Smash Bros. by getting in.

I know this'll ruffle a few feathers, but that's how I feel about all three franchises.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Realised, if Mach Rider is in, we've already go the perfect track for them.

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
I hope if this turns out fake the community doesn't attack papagenos
Unfortunately given how the internet is, that could happen. Personally my stance with him is I trust his source as much as I trustb Vergeben's 4. I'm sure they exist, but who knows if their info is legit. Saying you have a source doesn't matter to me. Now when 20+ people claim the same thing from a source is when it gets questionable. I'm 98% sure Incineroar is in at this point. The question is whether as DLC or base game now.

Confirmation

Smash Ace
Right, but is it really wise to ignore the leak and then confirm it several weeks later? The longer they wait, the more this leak spreads, and the more it spreads, the less exciting the eventual confirmation will be. Hype is what drives every new Smash release, and the best way to keep hype level high is to surprise people. Wait too long and people won't be surprised anymore.

"Look guys, we added Banjo! Isn't that awesome?!"
Yawns "Yes Nintendo we knew that back in October."
Not only this, but having a huge rumor like this give way to a completely disappointing finish to most people would make the bummer that was ESRB look like nothing.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
It really should've been a Hoenn trainer with Mudkip, Grovyle, and Blaziken.

Mudkip: What you said, old memes made him very popular.

Grovyle: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon 2 made him a very notable character. I imagine if this happened, Grovyle would be the one to make it to 4 and minorly overhauled to fit his PMD incarnation.

Blaziken: Most popular Final Gen 3 starter.
Sceptile would be ideal, I think, because then you'd have the final evolution of the fire, water and grass starters.
Then perhaps... Weavile/Metang/Metagross and Deoxys? That'd make the Hoenn Trainer perfect to me, personally. More expected would be the other starters. Maybe Gardevoir, that'd be good.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I've heard a lot of people say that this leak is too fanservicey, but I kinda think that's been what all of ultimates theme is. They are putting in old characters that people have wanted for a long time, and doing the everyone is here thing.
That's the silliest argument I've seen by far, especially since the whole series in general in fanservice besides Ultimate. If they don't like the leak for that, then they're playing the wrong series.

I mean, when we weren't supposed to know that info it wasn't Nintendo's fault. It's like when Roy and Ryu were confirmed and ORAS confirmed Mega Lati twins. "We already knew that" But we weren't SUPPOSED to know that!
Besides, everything else in the Direct wouldn't be spoiled. Now, tell me, who knew about K. Rool and Richter before they got in?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I ****ed up the quote
GameXplain aren't leakers though? They're journalists who primarily report on Nintendo stuff. And what do you know, they're reporting on Nintendo stuff
I think kazooie in the render scared of something definately gives team real some points

I mean you search kazooie 100% chance you will not find him scared like that

Oh there’s another thing I realized suposivly snake aiming at them

It’s actually a reference to a mission in metal gear V

Isn't Kazooie a girl? One of the things I know is that Kazooie expresses interest in shoving the Ice Key somewhere
Realised, if Mach Rider is in, we've already go the perfect track for them.

I want a DOOM-esque metal Mach Rider remix

Iridium

Smash Hero
I just had an idea inspired by a Reddit post. What if we got a digital mural based on the one we've seen the entire time, but in the game? And then, when a character is unlocked, they get added to it, like we've seen with every newcomer reveal? It would definitely make up for not having a physical copy at least.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I just had an idea inspired by a Reddit post. What if we got a digital mural based on the one we've seen the entire time, but in the game? And then, when a character is unlocked, they get added to it, like we've seen with every newcomer reveal? It would definitely make up for not having a physical copy at least.
Would it include potential DLC too?

D

Deleted member

What “type of ****?” If you look at my comment you’ll notice that I never even said that, it just sounded like you were saying It was only considered good because it was better than previous entries rather than just being a genuinely solid game on its own. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

And sure, Sonic fans and only Sonic fans are ****, but being a Sonic fan and having to sit through the franchise being **** on for years following 06, and then having influential YouTubers like Game Grumps and IGN in recent years crap on the franchise with “Sonic was never good” to try to invalidate the Classics kinda sours the ol’ enthusiasm and outlook on things. That’s especially hard when you were a kid that grew up with the franchise since the Classics and you’re favorite game franchise wasn’t treated like a meme.
As a Crash fan, i understand that feeling pretty well.

Before the release of N Sane Trilogy, a youtuber called Saselandia (who is a Sonic fanboy, a Nintendo sell-out and a hardcore Sony hater) got surprisingly huge and important in the spanish gaming comunity.

Since Crash was known as a big deal for the PS1, he targeted Crash fans and made us look like brainwashed Sony fanboys... It was a dark time: every forum jumped on anyone who even had a Crash avatar, some got harassed or even into trouble with some administrators at certain websites while defending themselves from Saselandia fans. I personally got into trouble IRL too, but thankfully not to those extremes.

After N Sane released, the hate was still present a bit, but something great happened: Saselandia got into some controversy, and finally lost the fame that he didn’t deserve. Today, nobody wants to be associated with him.

Something good came from this doh: i met some fans on social media that helped me a lot with my personal problems, and wonderful Spyro fans that supported us. In fact, i want to buy Reignited Trilogy mostly because of the support that i got from Spyro fans back then. I am still in contact with those friends i made.

Overall: if there’s a trend of hate that gives attention, too many people will jump in. Sonic fans have lived this, Crash fans too, and even the Medievil ones. Hate brings attention, and i hate that.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I post at the Crash thread.

Besides the low activity on the chat, we are hoping that the leak being true helps Crash’s chances as DLC.
Yeah that's more or less the same sentiment with the Layton support thread too. Most of us are more or less hoping he'd have a better shot for DLC if that leak ends up being true.

Ganon support thread has kind of timed out after Smash Ultimate's initial reveal so I don't really know what their consensus are so...

Last edited:

Chrollo.

fka president wario
I honestly don’t think Nintendo is gonna try to counter this. If its fake, then they lose nothing. Yeah, there’ll be massive disappointment, but people were gonna be disappointed nonetheless if Incineroar and Ken were the last newcomers. If it’s real, they don’t really go after image leaks. The Ken leak was more than likely real but that went unscathed. The ESRB image leak was spread around like wild fire but they didn’t take action until the videos got leaked. With images there’ll still be a ton of people claiming they’re fake and I’m pretty sure Nintendo knows that, which is why they hardly try to take down image and text leaks. It’s video leaks that cross their line because they’re an outright confirmation that what was leaked is real.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Yeah, lets not exile papagenos or anyone that end up "on the wrong side" for that matter. Thats a good way to make the whole smash boards experience a lot less enjoyable and a lot more echo chamber-y.

Anyways heres a fun little game, what songs would you expext to be in the trailers for the 7 characters?
Shadow- I am all of me (Shaodow The Hedgehog)
Ken- Kens theme (SFV)
Isaac- I got no clue lmao
Mach Rider- Mach Rider (Melee)
Chorus Kids- Remix 10 (RH Fever)
Banjo Kazooie- Main theme (rock rendition) (BK- Nuts and Bolts)
Geno- Forest Maze (NEW Remix)

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Yeah that's more or less the same sentiment with the Layton support thread too. Most of us are more or less hoping he'd have a better shot for DLC if that leak ends up being true.

Ganon support thread has kind of timed out after Smash Ultimate's initial reveal so I don't really know what their consensus are so...
To be fair DLC is Layton's only hope no matter what. He's not 'base-game' material (aside from being an AT).

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
So if the leak is true, and the new franchises get assist trophies,
What would the assist trophies be?

My Predictions:
Banjo Kazooie: Mumbo Jumbo
Super Mario RPG: Mallow
Golden Sun: Mia
Rhythm Heaven: Karate Joe

I don't think Mach Rider is getting an assist trophy to be honest with you...
Can't say anything about the other series as I'm not familiar with them. I really want Mumbo Jumbo to turn opponents into a useless washing machine temporarily. It'd be a cute callback to one of the more weirder aspects of the games. In Banjo-Kazooie, Mumbo would accidentally turn you into a washing machine on occasion and then have to redo the transformation; in Banjo-Tooie, Wumba actually turns you into a washing machine and your goal is to clean rabbit's overalls :rotfl: I guess alternatively Banjo & Kazooie would transform into the washing machine to fling underwear at opponents.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
If the mural leak is fake, then I want Isaac/Chorus Kids/Mach Rider/Shadow/Geno/Banjo as DLC (+ Dixie).

Am willing to pay a dozens (that's right -- an entire dozens) of dollar monies to make this happen.

Best believe.

ekc

Smash Cadet
I definitely won't attack the guy, but his credibility will be pretty ruined if he wrong. This is my first exposure to him, so depending on how this goes will dictate if I continue to watch or not.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Yeah, lets not exile papagenos or anyone that end up "on the wrong side" for that matter. Thats a good way to make the whole smash boards experience a lot less enjoyable and a lot more echo chamber-y.

Anyways heres a fun little game, what songs would you expext to be in the trailers for the 7 characters?
Ken- Kens theme (SFV)
I mean... Isaac has his battle theme from the first game? How about a kazoo remix?

Chrollo.

fka president wario
If the mural leak is fake, then I want Isaac/Chorus Kids/Mach Rider/Shadow/Geno/Banjo as DLC (+ Dixie).

Am willing to pay a dozens (that's right -- an entire dozens) of dollar monies to make this happen.

Best believe.
Honestly, I’m still not convinced that Shadow wont be in the game if this is fake. I said it yesterday and I’ll say it again; Nintendo replacing Shadow’s assist trophy with someone considerably less popular than him is incredibly weird, and the only reason I can imagine them removing him if he isn’t playable is if it was by Sega’s request.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
To be fair DLC is Layton's only hope no matter what. He's not 'base-game' material (aside from being an AT).
Yeah I figured that as well. plus there are already a bunch of third party companies that Sakurai is currently dealing with for base so DLC is kind of his best bet.
Just hoping he survives the next Assist Trophy storm for now...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Would it include potential DLC too?
Sure! When they get released, of course.
I'd love that. May be a bit disappointed if it doesn't happen, but I'll live.

D

Deleted member

I dunno. If I made this comic, I would have had Sans from Undertale and Freddy Bear from Five Nights at Freddy's be Steve's henchmen. Basically, all games that are only popular as memes be aligned together for a common goal; to ruin Smash Bros. by getting in.

I know this'll ruffle a few feathers, but that's how I feel about all three franchises.
Y'see, hating FNaF I understand.

However, what I will never understand is why MC and Undertale are treated like they're the spawn of evil by some. I really, really don't see how they would "ruin" anything, but meh, to each their own, I suppose.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
The only thing I have against Papagenos is that I am now fed up with the Forest Maze song. :D

I don't think I have to say this but If he's wrong, he should upload a "my bad" vid asap. That might reduce incoming hostility.

The sooner Nintendo steps up, the sooner we can go back to just having fun.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I definitely won't attack the guy, but his credibility will be pretty ruined if he wrong. This is my first exposure to him, so depending on how this goes will dictate if I continue to watch or not.
Yeah, there's absolutely no reason to attack someone, no excuses. Though, being the only rumor of Banjo in the game outside of this banner image, does tug at my emotions a bit, so it'll be difficult if it ends up not being true, no matter how much I try to remain skeptical and keep open the alternative possibilities (especially since it's a source with a source).

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Honestly, I’m still not convinced that Shadow wont be in the game if this is fake. I said it yesterday and I’ll say it again; Nintendo replacing Shadow’s assist trophy with someone considerably less popular than him is incredibly weird, and the only reason I can imagine them removing him if he isn’t playable is if it was by Sega’s request.
what's that say about the moon then

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
Let's say that the Grinch Leak is true and that those are our last character to be reveal ! Now let's imagine that SSBU fall into season pass for having DLC character the first batch will be:

DLC Season 1:
Incineroar
Dixie Kong
Black Shadow
Skull Kid
Rex&Pyra
Steve
Sora
Rayman

Who would want for a DLC season 2 ?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Y'see, hating FNaF I understand.

However, what I will never understand is why MC and Undertale are treated like they're the spawn of evil by some. I really, really don't see how they would "ruin" anything, but meh, to each their own, I suppose.
EW SOMETHING KIDS LIKE WHAT ABOUT ME NINTENDO HUH? WHAT ABOUT ME? WHAT DO I GET FOR BEING LOYAL EVER SINCE 510174 BC? WHY ARE LITERAL CHILDREN ALLOWED TO HAVE SOMETHING FOR THEM YET EVERYTHING ISN'T ALLOWED TO CATER EXCLUSIVELY FOR ME?

Syntherios

#MasterChief4DLC
NNID
Syntherios
Switch FC
SW-0693-8607-4207
Ken- Kens theme (SFV)
I'm not very familiar with any of those characters apart from my favorite edgelord Shadow, but someone posted a video recently that showed Shadow as a new PM fighter that used the Radical Highway theme as his theme song, and as much as I love I Am All of Me (to this day I still jam to it in my car, along with a dozen other Sonic songs because that series has the best music like goddamn son), I feel Radical Highway fits a bit better and is a throwback to his original appearance in Sonic Adventure 2. And it's less edgy. God knows Shadow could use less edginess.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom