• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

That is such a stretch though.
Is it?

Various leakers have cited having unreliable sources before, especially with Smash. Is it really that much of a stretch to think that Nintendo would intentionally leak fake information in order to hide the real roster from moles? Doubly so if you consider how much of a bombshell the final push seems to be? Do you really think they'd risk that getting leaked, and spoil the final surprise considering how much work Sakurai did to make the impossible happen and grant everyone's wishes? Consider how every Smash roster has been leaked, and even most fighting game rosters. You really don't think Nintendo would be SUPER anal about keeping that a secret?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Regardless of whether or not the leak is real or fake, just remember this:
  • We have a roster of at least 74 characters. That's already insane on its own without the likes of Isaac or Banjo being confirmed.
  • Even if a lot of characters don't make it, Ridley and K. Rool somehow both managed to get in. The two highest requested characters, and now we get to play as them.
  • We somehow have 3 Konami characters in this game, and most likely 3 Capcom characters too (Ken is the most likely character at this point).
  • More alternate costumes
  • At least 103 stages. If anyone thought there would be more than 100 stages in this game before we saw it with our own eyes, it would be seen as never happening. But here we are.
  • A metric ton of songs. You have a bunch of jammin' beats to listen to.
  • Bunches of small QOL changes, like Final Smash meter, preset rules, Hazard Toggle, Battlefield Forms, etc.
  • A robust new mode just waiting to be shown.
  • And, most importantly, no cuts. Everyone is here!
And that's all even without the stuff shown in the leak by the mean one himself.
Real or not, we're going to have an amazing Smash Bros. title that people will look at fondly for years to come.

We don't deserve Sakurai.
I like you, you get the first slice of turkey.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Are you out of your mind?

So you're saying that we're paid off and that Nintendo would pay us to damage our reputations to say something was fake when it is going to turn out to be real?

That is some logic leap
Yes. Everyone has a price. I firmly believe you guys are doing this so called damage control. I think some people is just on denial now.

D

Deleted member

I hate to sound naive, but do you guys think they’d actually do DLC for this game? It’s the “ultimate” Version of Smash so why make some characters inaccessible through a paywall? I’m not gonna be mad if there is DLC, but I was just wondering what everybody thought. And to have a nice break from all this angry discussion!
Nintendo is very odd with DLC. Splatoon is the only Nintendo made game to date to get the huge post-launch support it has. Everything else is either free content updates, or paid stuff like BotW's where while cool, wasn't necessarily all that huge. Heck, Mario Odyssey didn't get DLC, which made a lot of people (myself included) scratch their heads.

That said, though, if Smash is getting any, we'll know about it before launch. Nintendo makes a habit of making sure that people know full well before the game comes out whether or not it will be supported past launch in some form. If there's DLC, it'll probably be teased in the final Direct.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
You know among all of this chaos here, I just had a thought.

Whoever is going to be the next character revealed is going to be a huge moment in Smash speculation. It's literally going to make or break the leaks that have been going around.

Like if said Smash Direct started with Incineroar, (am I spelling that right lol) that would kill this theory dead in the water. Alternatively, if the Direct starts with Isaac or say Banjo, the Box Theory gets BTFO'd out of existence.

For that reason alone, I think the moment the next Smash Direct starts is the most important event in Smash Ultimate's speculation. The ultimate do or die. And as a spectator, it's really something to sit back and watch this all unfold before my very eyes. I don't know if something like this will ever happen again.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Hey, good news on a research I did on Nintendo's website that will corroborate with what Pyra Pyra just said.

So, the wording "Event exclusive version" has never appeared before on these articles. Not for the Jump Carnival event or anything else. So this event's build might actually be a very new build, probably "final but modified" build. Maybe what we've been currently seeing on advertising. It could VERY MUCH STILL BE THE E3 BUILD, but it has some support of it not being that!
I'd say it's LIKELY the E3 build, but I'm also the type of person to bet on unlikely things so this might just be me trying to justify my bet that it's not

We'll see! A week from now.

Last edited:

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
Guys?

Apparently some Italian beta tester got their hands on the game. Saw this in the r/Kirby Discord.
If italian beta tester claims to got hold of this game, how the **** did they do it? I mean, nintendo was very careful to not let beta testers spoil, and now this? Still need to see video proof of it.

Phyr

Smash Journeyman
I'm not gonna rehash the whole pixels/compression/blur debate, it has been done multiple times and reputable videos have been created, ie: Artsy Omni, explaining what would happen in such cases. Both sides have factual statements on this matter. But again, there is the dismissive demeanor that is being displayed, it's not necessary. I'll extend an olive branch and say, I understand your POV and position on the matter.
Please try to take everything done by monetized channels and professional people with a grain of salt too. These days are a gold mine to get followes and subscribers, and the fake side is DESPERATE to get more proof because there is so little. Making fake videos with any straws they can say with remote evidence is a GOOD business decision so you have to take that with a sac of salt.

As far as I see it, I can see people thinking that until Nintendo says something we wont know for sure. It MIGHT happen, in a REALLY UNLIKELY, HEAVY PSICHOPATH scenario (impersonating a guy like this is beyond what anyone of us could consider "normal") but... yeah. ANyone saying that these renders don't prove anything I think is a big stretch of a statement.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Alright, i'm back. Any developments in the leak? How about that sprout thingy?

i'm so glad you all liked my comic this morning I feel better about myself than I ever have
Comic?

May I see?

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
It has been told again and again for people who know about printing business...

The background is printed in two times, like the APC videos show. Think like decals.

You have to do it like that because printing machines don't have enough precision to do heavy contrasts without messing up the colors.

For that reason, the backgrounds are usually simplified, specially in places where is known that will be covered by a character. To cut heavily the ink costs for these parts.

Add to it the quality is far from perfect because is for a very minor piece of merchandising (low quality, trying to simplify costs) and this fits too much with what would be a "free-gift" consumer present in a real product.

But hey, keep ignoring me and other who know about the business :/

I wont deny that it's still possible for the leaker to have played 2^1028d tetris, but again, if the leak is false the only proof that we have is to wait for nintendo to show a character that is not in the leak or has different artwork. Right now, and for a while to be fair, that's the only possibility for team fake. And again it would rise the bar soooo much that we would have to question everything about when to tell a leak is true or false (essencially so much that we wouldn't ever believe any leaks again). That's why, with things now withstanding (I mean, based in other true leaks precedents), telling the leak is false is either mental gymnastics, blind loyalty for leakers, or entitled/dismissive people saying that everything is relative so everything is fake. I'm sorry but no.

Right now the only, in my oppinion, acceptable posture would be to be "I wont belive it until Nintendo confirms", but saying that is fake has no foundation whatsoever.
I... work extensively with printing lol

Just answer me this:

Why would you simplify a background if there's another graphic that's going to be superimposed on it and it won't ever appear. The printer doesn't know what's on this "back layer", it won't do the printing process twice, one for the background and the other for the characters. It's all a single thing, there's absolutely 0 reason to do that.

Btw, color costs are by the amount of colors used, not by how detailed it is.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Pikachu doesn't act like a mouse though...

It can be anything it wants to be.

-A wrestler

- A doctor

- A rock star

- A Southern Belle

- Japanese pop star

it also surfs on a board... like a person.
Yeah, but Pikachu embraces none of that in Smash. He functions like a mouse with electric powers. The closest he delves into regarding the cosplay form is a purely ascetic costume with no impact on his performance as a fighter.

TVDart

Smash Apprentice
You know among all of this chaos here, I just had a thought.

Whoever is going to be the next character revealed is going to be a huge moment in Smash speculation. It's literally going to make or break the leaks that have been going around.

Like if said Smash Direct started with Incineroar, (am I spelling that right lol) that would kill this theory dead in the water. Alternatively, if the Direct starts with Isaac or say Banjo, the Box Theory gets BTFO'd out of existence.

For that reason alone, I think the moment the next Smash Direct is the most important event in Smash Ultimate's speculation. The ultimate do or die. And as a spectator, it's really something to sit back and watch this all unfold before my very eyes. I don't know if something like this will ever happen again.
Just waiting for a Ken reveal which doesn't prove/disprove anything, lol.

meowth_thats_wrong

Smash Cadet
It was posted as a Snapchat story on Eric's snapchat profile. Meaning the intern would have needed to use Eric's phone. Or make a new snapchat and change his name to Eric's in order to frame him. The latter being SUPER unlikely as he'd have no followers to see the leak. So, then he'd have to change his Snapchat name to Eric's in order to frame him (total **** move).

Final possibility, Eric has a son named Eric, and that Eric took the leak. Either way, Eric Bricard, the same Eric who made those legit Grinch leaks, in involved in this somehow.

All of the options that are not simple "human error from someone who didn't know he had confidential content" are too much of a stretch imo, especially since the story said "LOL, **** Nintendo." Someone who cared about Smash wouldn't say that unless they were willingly trying to **** Nintendo over with a leak.
On the other hand, why would a 50 year old Frenchman care enough about a children's video game to want to **** Nintendo over with a leak? I also have no idea why someone of that demographic would use Snapchat enough to post Stories with "LOL" stickers and the like. The leak would be a lot more believable if it came from a 20 year old intern, not a 50 year old professional, which is why I'm holding onto my skepticism.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
At this point the Grinch leak is really more of the Schrodinger's Leak: it's real and fake at the same time.

Here, have a Joker.

tumblr_mk0sjecCZR1s2vg82o1_400.gif

I'm really hoping its new build with Wolf and Luigi playable (I wanna see some Poltergust action!)
I legit care more about seeing Luigi with the Poltergust than I do any newcomer right now.
This reminds me, this time the reveal trailers have a tendency of doing low-key introductions on the veterans' changes, like Luigi have the Poltergust as a throw, and Donkey Kong having a new Punch-Out alt. I wonder how much more of these we'll see.

A lil recap on Nintendo Live 2018.

Dates (Japan Time):
Tokyo | November 3 - November 4
Kyoto | November 23 - November 24th

Sakurai has reached out to invite people to the event. Basically saying "Smash Bros starts at 12:45PM on both days. If you have the free time, please come!"
This doesn't really mean anything in an of itself, but it happened.

Here is the site about the Smash Bros part of the event.
It's a tournament.

They will of course have demo booths set up. Because Smash Bros wasn't labeled with "Trial Version", this led several people to believe this isn't the E3 demo and is, instead, the release version.

Which is not the case, because it is still a special event version. That could mean E3 demo (likely), that could mean updated demo, but it is not the release.

And most importantly, the participation prize is a sweet bandanna!

No, you smart***, I'm not implying they'll show off Dee there, I'm only excited about the badass bandanna they'll be handing out.

So take that as you will. :estatic:
>Mario Tennis Aces
>again
Yeah, not falling for this, I'm 100% sure no announcements will be made there, just like the other times.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
In regards to how these seven characters will be revealed, wanna share a possible theory.

Don't think this will happen, but a possible way I can see it done is that most of the direct would focus on things other than characters. And near the end, we get to see a showcase of footage of these new supposed characters, one after the other. Not enough as to where as we figure out how they play but we're so close to release that it hardly matters.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Deciding to go on team fake after seeing Vaan's stuff and all these insiders, including ones who've gotten a spotless track record. Considering the only argument against the latter is "What if they ALL have the same source who was fed false info?" which is just not feasible. When Loz said Skull Kid was in the last direct, everyone went "Lol nah" and now that they're saying this doesn't add up, suddenly people lose trust? I'd love to be wrong for Isaac and Kamen Rider 2 but it's just such an unlikely scenario to me. Especially if we found the new company this was allegedly made at and have a link to both Illumination and Nintendo

D

Deleted member

This whole thing is really reminding me of the ESRB leak. No, not in the way you guys are thinking, I mean that there's enough evidence in favor of this being fake but people are denying it because IT'S NOT WHAT THEY WANT TO BELIEVE.
When you're calling insiders liars and accuse them of doing damage control, it's proof there's no more evidence to latch on.

Last edited by a moderator:

SushiRoll

Smash Apprentice
Hoo boy.... alright, as a connossieur of the weird and obscure when it comes to games, here goes! Firstly, the actual franchises

• Rhythm Heaven
  • Golden Sun
  • Brain Age
  • Nintendo Wars
  • Pilotwings
  • Startropics
  • Starfy
  • Custom Robo
  • Panel de Pon
  • Paper Mario (should we count it)
  • Chibi-Robo
  • Pushmo
  • Sin and Punishment
  • Wave Race
And then, the "retro" properties (i.e. ones that haven't made a major appearance since the SFC):
  • Jerry Boy (Western Name: Smart Ball)
  • Quinty (Western Name: Mendel Palace)
  • Eggerland/Adventures of Lolo
  • Mach Rider
  • ExciteBike
  • Satellaview
  • Famicom Disk System
  • Joy Mech Fight
  • Donkey Kong Jr (if it counts as a seperate series)
  • Urban Champion
  • Tetris
  • Golf
  • Famicom Detective Club
  • Clu Clu Land
  • Yuyuki
  • Spartan X (Western Name: Kung-Fu)
  • Pro Wrestling
And that's without going into more generic games like Tennis, Volleyball, etc.
Oh man, I should have thought of half of these.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
On the other hand, why would a 50 year old Frenchman care enough about a children's video game to want to **** Nintendo over with a leak? I also have no idea why someone of that demographic would use Snapchat enough to post Stories with "LOL" stickers and the like. The leak would be a lot more believable if it came from a 20 year old intern, not a 50 year old professional, which is why I'm holding onto my skepticism.
Everyone in my family that's 50+ use emojis and "lol" more than I do, just sayin'.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
This whole thing is really reminding me of the ESRB leak. No, not in the way you guys are thinking, I mean that there's enough evidence in favor of this being fake but people are denying it because IT'S NOT WHAT THEY WANT TO BELIEVE.
When you're calling insiders liars and accuse them of doing damage control, it's proof there's no more evidence to latch on.
It's real because I'm right, Shish.
Source: me

Phyr

Smash Journeyman
I like you, you get the first slice of turkey.
Absolutely, the game will be amazing with or without this leak and I'm heavily looking forward to it!

Please don't patch dash dance please sakurai please

Untouch

Smash Master
That's no possible way, this can't be ****ing real at all? Please tell me that it will be on leaked mini N64!
I'm actually 90% certain it would be related to that, none of the other third parties had to do stuff like this, but if they were redistributing the rom for BK they likely would have to (since Nintendo is shown as the copyright holder in the N64 release).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom