• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
We’re getting very tense and eager for official news/announcements/confirmations of this so let’s play a game.

Of all the 7 leaked fighters:
•Banjo-Kazooie
•Isaac
•Geno
•Shadow
•Chorus Kids
•Mach Rider
•Ken
Who will you (possibly) main?
Geno, definitely. Like with Shulk, I decided that soon as I was sure he was going to be in.

Secondary would be Chorus Kids (they're so unique! And I love RH.) Then Banjo.

Ahh, I see where you're going with this...

You mean to say the orbs Felix is firing are like this bubble, right? Good eye!

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
We’re getting very tense and eager for official news/announcements/confirmations of this so let’s play a game.

•Banjo-Kazooie
•Isaac
•Geno
•Shadow
•Chorus Kids
•Mach Rider
•Ken
Chorus Kids, I mean obviously.
However, I’d definitely give Ken a whirl, and I’m definitely interested in how the Smash team would make Mach Rider work.

Confirmation

Smash Ace
Have we seen that red grass item from Smash 4 yet? The one that randomly plucks an item out of the ground?

I'm curious if maybe this sprout is the new version of that.
Wouldn't we, you know, pluck it out of the ground instead of it being in a bubble if this was the case?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The Gender war on Mach Rider is going to be hella stupid if he's in, leak or no leak.

Team Pin-Up Girl VS Team Sakurai-Said-So :p

Wouldn't we, you know, pluck it out of the ground instead of it being in a bubble if this was the case?
If it's a replacement, it doesn't matter how it's done, it still serves the same purpose. You get a random item, you just don't pull it out of the goddamn ground this time. I don't get what's so hard to grasp.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
More interesting question. Which newcomer will you be maining most?

-Banjo-Kazooie
-Chorus Kids
-Chrom
-Daisy
-Dark Samus
-Geno
-Incineroar (Likely the "Missing Character")
-Inkling
-Isabelle
-Isaac
-Ken
-King K. Rool
-Mach Rider
-Richter
-Ridley
-Shadow
-Simon

Also on top of that if true how would you rate them and why?

QcSlayer

Smash Journeyman
Why would they wait so long to show an item who is extremelly related to one of the most wanted character yet to be in Ultimate if said character wasn't playable?
They would have shown it at E3 if it was unrelatted to a newcommer, and it can only be Isaac.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Howdy folks. Decided to unlurk myself after lurking religiously since the Ken leak. Anyways, calling back to an earlier discussion, here's something I think is interesting:

If the Grinch leak was fake, why use the Grinch as "evidence" this guy works at Marina or ACP? One of the "faults" in the leak back when it was assumed this guy worked at Marina was that Marina has no direct connection to the Grinch (actually went and checked this, and yeah, there's nothing: http://www.ateliers-marina.fr/references.html) This no longer really applies as a fault since he doesn't work at Marina anymore, but it does beg the question as to why a fake leaker would decide the Grinch of all things would be what he'd use to add credence to the leak, if we're assuming they chose Bicard in the first place as a scapegoat because he worked at Marina and they have a Bamco connection (There is the fact that Illumination does work out of France, but then why choose Marina instead of some other company). Hell, Marina does work with Sony, so the upcoming Spiderman movie would have made more sense while still being incredulous. Of course, APC doesn't have any Grinch or Smash connections that we can see (they're a lot more secretive than Marina about their contracts though), so the entire point might well be moot, but I think it's worthwhile to consider the logic behind someone adding the Grinch to bolster a fake.

I should note that despite this, I'm leaning #TeamFake right now. Partly to keep my expectations low, partly because of the background stuff and all the insiders coming out against it. If it were one or two, then yeah, insiders have frequently been wrong, but it's pretty rare that all of them collectively get something like this wrong. So a guess is that there's possibly some sort of what I shall dub the Chadondorf Conglomerate (the arch-nemeses of the Vergeben Collective, of course) that made this leak (if it's fake) and one of them just had access to Grinch promo materials and thought they'd be useful to throw in.
Welcome! And I find the idea of a Fake leaker using the Grinch is--odd, to say the least (though, I feel like any attempts at scrutinizing the Grinch images itself are futile). I think if it's fake, most likely the person actually works on Grinch or around the materials, and so is simply incidental to the fake leak as is.

I'm on Team Real--I find it to be way too elaborate, though certainly not impossible, to fake. Though, enough has come out to bump down the likelihood for me. Still, there are also many instances of things that came out since that seemed to debunk many of the criticisms charged at the leak, which gives this a lot of staying power unless something dramatic comes out. And, of course, I have to check my bias as I really want it to be true (though, as a result, I seek out ways to critique it myself). Let's hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Have we seen that red grass item from Smash 4 yet? The one that randomly plucks an item out of the ground?

I'm curious if maybe this sprout is the new version of that.
if that were to happen I don't know why they would do that since it's a direct reference to Super Mario Bros. 2

but to answer your question, no we haven't seen it in Ultimate as far as I'm aware

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I think regardless if the background is different or not, I don't think it harms the leak itself. The same background is obviously being used for the panorama hanger cutout for an advertisement. Sometimes advertisements simplify or alter artwork in order to better advertise the content you are given.

People say leak background looks worse or simpler, but i think it may be done on purpose to not distract someone from reading the smash logo. For example, many of the buildings were seemingly removed and edited out because it would be exactly where the Smash logo would go (near the M and the A of SMASH).

On top of this, 90% of the background has always been covered by characters, yet only small bits and pieces of the leak background are actually different from the current background we have. There are many sections of background, covered by characters, that are in fact not different from the E3 background and the current banner.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
if that were to happen I don't know why they would do that since it's a direct reference to Super Mario Bros. 2

but to answer your question, no we haven't seen it in Ultimate as far as I'm aware
I know what it's a reference to. But it's somewhat curious that the item count was represented by the same symbol as this new item. It could fulfill the same mechanical purpose, provided the grass item hasn't already been spotted in the wild.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
if that were to happen it'd make total sense because they've done direct reference pulls before
Untitled.png

StarLight42

Smash Lord
The fact that people think that is a Redesigned Healing Field is a bit baffling to me. Are you guys serious? That's clearly a new item. I might be wrong, but we've rarely EVER seen the design of an item change from beta to launch and the sprout on that flower and it isn't even the same as the icon on the side of the bud. AND like someone else said it's already on the website.

I say a more likely theory is that this is a Smash original item that will do something vine related. Remember when everyone thought the Drill Arm was from Kid Icarus?

But, if it's not that, then it's definitely the growth psynergy from Golden Sun, and that points HEAVILY to Isaac being in, whether the Grinch leak is real or fake. Also, it just makes sense to put an RPG based magic item in an orb like that.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
This Etika situation made me come up with a conclusion: he needs counseling. Seriously, I fear for his mental health

Narr

AN ORB OF MANY TALENTS
NNID
LordChrom
3DS FC
1289-8310-9030
Switch FC
SW 8256 5756 1598
Smashdown 5v5 - Your top 5
And you can include the leaks (that includes Inciniroar)
probably :ultpokemontrainer:, :ultmewtwo:, :ultmario:, :ultness:, :ultridley:

only going with characters i've actually played because i'm boring

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Well with this sudden lapse of conversation and approximate 250 people here...

Do any of you have any movesets for characters you think don't have any chance of getting in?
You should see my half-finished Absol concept. It's built around a neutral special called Forewarn, able to foresee one of five different weather-based disasters that then come to pass a couple seconds later. Stuff like a concentrated torrential rainstorm, a heat wave that deals damage over time, a hailstorm with a wide reach...

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I know what it's a reference to. But it's somewhat curious that the item count was represented by the same symbol as this new item. It could fulfill the same mechanical purpose, provided the grass item hasn't already been spotted in the wild.
I mean a two-leaf clover is a pretty common symbol.

That being said, this being in a bubble leads me to believe this is indeed a Golden Sun item; spells are commonly represented as bubbles or orbs with symbols in them, especially in RPGs, so it makes sense.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
while i think the altered background is the best evidence against the leak...

my thoughts with the background is that we see some printing/graphic design company with a "clean" background...perhaps they have that or MADE that background BECAUSE printing the usual image causes too much blurr/the background effects the character clarity at the "size" of whatever materials they are creating etc... so they had to make it slightly different for whatever they are printing (thats their specialty, designing graphics for different materials).

I just think its totally possible the background is different or altered SPECIFICALLY for this material and thats WHY they have their own clean version. Just my own speculation on it though.

again i trust my source here so im going with that, the altered background is the best thing against it but there is explainable reasons why that might be.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
I hope Etika is fine. I didn't think he was crazy enough to throw away his entire Youtube career, hope he can land on his feet soon.

link2702

Smash Champion
Someone mentioned on a YouTube comment that it’s not actually etika , but someone stole his phone and is posting from it? Anyone know if there’s any truth to that?

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
I feel like the grinch leak needs it’s own discussion thread. Because there are things I want to tak about that aren’t the leak. I’m sure there are others too

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
GONNA PUT A TIN FOIL HAT ON TO THIS GRINCH LEAK BECAUSE I HAVE A THEORY

Many people pointed the criticisms of the background art of Battlefield but..

what if I told yall that the art...
is an EARLY VERSION??

Dun dun DDUUUUNN

First, you may ask. Why are you doing this? Well because I can and I want to think it out of the box.

So here is my points:
* Eric seems to work at Marina UNTIL 2016. You know happened during that time, Ultimate's development. You see, Sakurai mention that they began making Ultimate after Smash 4, which is around 2015-2016. It should be noted that the character is probably finalized at that moment. You know else it need development time? Art! With characters finalized during that time, they began creating concept art/sketches and prototypes for the background art and character art. If it seems to be true that he works in the 2016, then it makes a TON of sense that the background looks...incomplete, and that the shadows suddenly disappeared; its because they are still in the early stages.

You may also wonder, why do he POST the leak recently? Well, if Eric claims that he is NOT responsible for showing the leak, then it must be someone. I feel like some employee from the Marina project caught the code from the garbage, a friend, or a close relation to Eric, stole it, and print the leak out. It makes sense why he tried to scribble the name of the OG name of the worker because he isnt there nor he is involved. He does not want to spread misinformation about Eric. That is why Eric posting SnapChat image of the leak makes no sense since he is in his 50s and doesnt care about leaks, but the founder did and tried to spread it all.

PUTS TIN FOIL HAT OFF.

Last edited:

amazonevan19

Smash Ace

•Banjo-Kazooie
•Isaac
•Geno
•Shadow
•Chorus Kids
•Mach Rider
•Ken
Once Shadow makes it I will main him for life. Any other character will be a for fun to play with kind of thing, but I will become 100% dedicated to mastering the art of Shadow.

Or at least not be completely incompetent with him :joyful:

I would def be open to maining Banjo, Geno, and Mach Rider though if Shadow is not in. But I'm assuming the leak is real and we're getting them all :p

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Can we come up with a new name other than the Grinch leak? Sounds very stupid.

How about the "**** Nintendo" leak?

Heracr055

Smash Ace
Without leaks

Daisy
Sheik
Dark Pit
Ryu
Jigglypuff

At the initial start of the game these are who I feel comfortable rockin' for wins

But as time goes by anything can happen, so I'll try to keep an open mind

Kirby
Young Link
Lucas
Isabelle
Daisy
Two candidates I can see myself maining/secondarying in the future

Last edited:

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192

•Banjo-Kazooie
•Isaac
•Geno
•Shadow
•Chorus Kids
•Mach Rider
•Ken
I want to say Geno, Isaac and Banjo (in that order), but I would definitely be interested in checking them all out; the other four could surprise me with their movesets!

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
while i think the altered background is the best evidence against the leak...

my thoughts with the background is that we see some printing/graphic design company with a "clean" background...perhaps they have that or MADE that background BECAUSE printing the usual image causes too much blurr/the background effects the character clarity at the "size" of whatever materials they are creating etc... so they had to make it slightly different for whatever they are printing (thats their specialty, designing graphics for different materials).

I just think its totally possible the background is different or altered SPECIFICALLY for this material and thats WHY they have their own clean version. Just my own speculation on it though.

again i trust my source here so im going with that, the altered background is the best thing against it but there is explainable reasons why that might be.
I think that's highly unlikely for two reasons:

1 - They're printing a very small wristband with over 70+ characters, clarity be damned

2 - If that was the case they would, without a doubt, be able to get the original .PSD straight from Nintendo. Them modifying it for themselves would also not fly well because companies are usually very very strict with promotional material being altered by agencies without their consent

D

Deleted member

Okay, so Etika went on about sucking ****, posted Hatsune Miku hentai and went "stargazing", y'all are finding out items from Golden Sun, ****ing leaks are being taken apart and dissected at left and right, and all while The Grinch is ****ing smiling down at this madness.

What has this week been, bro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom