• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MainJPW

M.T.A
We’re getting very tense and eager for official news/announcements/confirmations of this so let’s play a game.

Of all the 7 leaked fighters:
•Banjo-Kazooie
•Isaac
•Geno
•Shadow
•Chorus Kids
•Mach Rider
•Ken
Who will you (possibly) main?
  • Isaac
  • Mach Rider
Someone mentioned on a YouTube comment that it’s not actually etika , but someone stole his phone and is posting from it? Anyone know if there’s any truth to that?
That was false.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Smashdown 5v5 - Your top 5
And you can include the leaks (that includes Inciniroar)

For me

Kirby
Dr. Mario
Snake
Cloud
Ridley
Pikachu
Lucina
Zero Suit Samus
Chorus Kids (If not in, swap for Ridley)
PKMN Trainer

More interesting question. Which newcomer will you be maining most?

-Banjo-Kazooie
-Chorus Kids
-Chrom
-Daisy
-Dark Samus
-Geno
-Incineroar (Likely the "Missing Character")
-Inkling
-Isabelle
-Isaac
-Ken
-King K. Rool
-Mach Rider
-Richter
-Ridley
-Shadow
-Simon

Also on top of that if true how would you rate them and why?
Chorus Kids, I mean that’s totally not obvious.
Depending on their moveset, they’ll probably range from a 6.5/10 to 9/10. Only reason why I have it that low, is if they end up being comparable to Robin for me. (Ex. Love that he’s in, but I don’t love the way he plays.)
As for the actual inclusion: 10/10

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I think regardless if the background is different or not, I don't think it harms the leak itself. The same background is obviously being used for the panorama hanger cutout for an advertisement. Sometimes advertisements simplify or alter artwork in order to better advertise the content you are given.

People say leak background looks worse or simpler, but i think it may be done on purpose to not distract someone from reading the smash logo. For example, many of the buildings were seemingly removed and edited out because it would be exactly where the Smash logo would go (near the M and the A of SMASH).

On top of this, 90% of the background has always been covered by characters, yet only small bits and pieces of the leak background are actually different from the current background we have. There are many sections of background, covered by characters, that are in fact not different from the E3 background and the current banner.
I definitely don't believe the character art used on a hanger has to be the exact same as people are claiming--it's used for different purposes and only the maco-details matter depending on the distance people will be viewing it at, so it's at most nitpicky. That being said, after watching Artsy Omni's video, if we were to nitpick I still felt his arguments pretty compelling. I do think since a lot of it was covered by the characters (and the Team Fake assumption is the faker didn't see the empty mural at E3), it would be nice to find some macro-detail that was covered by the characters that a faker wouldn't know about (or be able to reasonably extend from the surroundings). I can't use his psd file, as I don't have Photoshop, but hopefully someone finds something. If that were found, I would bump up my chances of it being real. Still on Team Real, I think it's still way too elaborate to brush aside, but I'm not as certain as I was yesterday.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

CAN I AT LEAST ASK Y'ALL SOMETHING, THOUGH?

If I pre-order Smash Ultimate on Amazon, will I get the game delivered to me on December 7th?

Syntherios

#MasterChief4DLC
NNID
Syntherios
Switch FC
SW-0693-8607-4207
We’re getting very tense and eager for official news/announcements/confirmations of this so let’s play a game.

Of all the 7 leaked fighters:
•Banjo-Kazooie
•Isaac
•Geno
•Shadow
•Chorus Kids
•Mach Rider
•Ken
Who will you (possibly) main?
I won't main any of them but I can see Isaac or Banjo being fun/interesting enough to pick up and try out.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
You should see my half-finished Absol concept. It's built around a neutral special called Forewarn, able to foresee one of five different weather-based disasters that then come to pass a couple seconds later. Stuff like a concentrated torrential rainstorm, a heat wave that deals damage over time, a hailstorm with a wide reach...
Interesting.
How would you change things like Hail and Sandstorm to be different?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Why would they wait so long to show an item who is extremelly related to one of the most wanted character yet to be in Ultimate if said character wasn't playable?
They would have shown it at E3 if it was unrelatted to a newcommer, and it can only be Isaac.
You hear that guys?! The Staff wasn't shown at E3! New Kid Icarus character confirmed with flawless logic!
1513673804550.gif

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
GONNA PUT A TIN FOIL HAT ON TO THIS GRINCH LEAK BECAUSE I HAVE A THEORY

Many people pointed the criticisms of the background art of Battlefield but..

what if I told yall that the art...
is an EARLY VERSION??

Dun dun DDUUUUNN

First, you may ask. Why are you doing this? Well because I can and I want to think it out of the box.

So here is my points:
* Eric seems to work at Marina UNTIL 2016. You know happened during that time, Ultimate's development. You see, Sakurai mention that they began making Ultimate after Smash 4, which is around 2015-2016. It should be noted that the character is probably finalized at that moment. You know else it need development time? Art! With characters finalized during that time, they began creating concept art/sketches and prototypes for the background art and character art. If it seems to be true that he works in the 2016, then it makes a TON of sense that the background looks...incomplete, and that the shadows suddenly disappeared; its because they are still in the early stages.

You may also wonder, why do he POST the leak recently? Well, if Eric claims that he is NOT responsible for showing the leak, then it must be someone. I feel like some employee from the Marina project caught the code from the garbage, a friend, or a close relation to Eric, stole it, and print the leak out. It makes sense why he tried to scribble the name of the OG name of the worker because he isnt there nor he is involved. He does not want to spread misinformation about Eric. That is why Eric posting SnapChat image of the leak makes no sense since he is in his 50s and doesnt care about leaks, but the founder did and tried to spread it all.

PUTS TIN FOIL HAT OFF.
Um, I highly doubt they were doing any sort of printing tests back in 2016 and I doubt even more that art was done any earlier than late 2017 at most. This kind of promotional art is one of the last aspects that production goes over. Of course the artist knew, but he or she would not start producing it until very late in development for this kind of stuff. At least art "that finished". Them finalizing the roster doesn't mean they knew who wasn't going to be cut from the final product, so printing tests would be useless and leaks would have come out WAY earlier.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace

If I pre-order Smash Ultimate on Amazon, will I get the game delivered to me on December 7th?
assuming they don't **** up the order, yeah.

Amazon's been 2/2 for me so far this year on my preorders although they can **** things up, especially with a giant game like Smash.

What I'd do is have an online order and then maybe put $5 down for a Gamestop, Best Buy, or Target (or any other store) preorder so in case Amazon doesn't come in on the 7th, you can just go to the store, grab it, and then cancel the Amazon order.

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
More interesting question. Which newcomer will you be maining most?

-Banjo-Kazooie
-Chorus Kids
-Chrom
-Daisy
-Dark Samus
-Geno
-Incineroar (Likely the "Missing Character")
-Inkling
-Isabelle
-Isaac
-Ken
-King K. Rool
-Mach Rider
-Richter
-Ridley
-Shadow
-Simon

Also on top of that if true how would you rate them and why?
Shadow, :ultisabelle::ultdaisy::ultinkling::ultsimon::ultrichter: and maybe Mach rider want to know the type of move set the character will have.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I mean a two-leaf clover is a pretty common symbol.

That being said, this being in a bubble leads me to believe this is indeed a Golden Sun item; spells are commonly represented as bubbles or orbs with symbols in them, especially in RPGs, so it makes sense.
But Golden Sun's sprout isn't in a magic bubble.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

I don't believe so. Usually places send the games out after its release date iirc unless an error occurs.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
You fools. You all assume it's the Growth Psynergy from Golden Sun, but I know the truth.

FloroSprout_SPM.png

The true identity of the mystery item is the Floro Sprout from Super Paper Mario! Paper Mario confirmed!

IcyBrawler

Smash Apprentice

Every time I've pre-ordered from Amazon I have received whatever game it was day one. This isn't the case for everyone, though. I've heard some people say because where they live they usually get it a couple days later.

You will just have to look into it and see if they can deliver day one at your location.

If you absolutely want it day one (no exceptions), the best way to get it would to be pre-ordering from the eShop and pre-loading it so you can play it after midnight.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I think that's highly unlikely for two reasons:

1 - They're printing a very small wristband with over 70+ characters, clarity be damned

2 - If that was the case they would, without a doubt, be able to get the original .PSD straight from Nintendo. Them modifying it for themselves would also not fly well because companies are usually very very strict with promotional material being altered by agencies without their consent
I guess my counter point would be MAYBE they were hired to do that and they do have consent from nintendo, nintendo may have even sent them a clean image so they can reposition as they need to.

For instance Yoshi disappeared from the games box art when the ESRB logo came out so whoevers making THAT may have had the individual files for all the characters and the background of the box art etc... and altered it for the ESRB logo. I just think its a completely possible scenario from a graphic design/printing promotional material company to be given all that stuff and the ability to alter it in order to MAKE good looking material.

it also might be some kind of wrap for something else and not a wrist band but i have no idea of that for sure ive just heard people speculate what it could be.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
while i think the altered background is the best evidence against the leak...

my thoughts with the background is that we see some printing/graphic design company with a "clean" background...perhaps they have that or MADE that background BECAUSE printing the usual image causes too much blurr/the background effects the character clarity at the "size" of whatever materials they are creating etc... so they had to make it slightly different for whatever they are printing (thats their specialty, designing graphics for different materials).

I just think its totally possible the background is different or altered SPECIFICALLY for this material and thats WHY they have their own clean version. Just my own speculation on it though.

again i trust my source here so im going with that, the altered background is the best thing against it but there is explainable reasons why that might be.
This exactly. We don't know the full story for why it's being done if it's legit. It was the same with the ESRB leak. People found some inconsistencies like a misspelled menu typo or Wario bleeding out to Game and Watches CSS slot, yet those were explained simply by an actual typo in game that was fixed and poor resolution of the leak. I'm pretty sure even some character portraits were slightly different between the leak and the actual game.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Uh, I'm a bit bored so I'll expand on drag0nscythe drag0nscythe 's idea. List your top 5 favorite and least favorite characters in SSBU. Explanations are fine, but not needed.

Favorite: :ultlink::ultgreninja::ultlucario::ultmewtwo::ultsonic:

Least Favorite: :ultdaisy::ultpeach::ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultwario: (this all could change)

What about you?

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
With the Grinch banner leak, weren't the banners used for some sort of in-store display as promotional material, which is why they were tubes?

I can imagine that the background details would be sacrificed a bit as it's an in-store promo, and the quality on those is never as good as any online image.

D

Deleted member

It could be designed that way in Ultimate so that the item is easy to see. If it weren't for the bubble, it would blend in on certain stages, especially if a lot of characters are on-screen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Right now, I think the big question that should be asked is if the Grass item has been seen or if it's totally MIA. Now, one one hand, Grass is taken from SMB2, so I can see why it's a stretch to assume that's the sprout's new purpose (especially given the bubble), but I think it's worth considering since lifting a sprout by itself doesn't make much sense. It functionally should NEED to be pulled.

Could mean it's a growth ladder (note ladder attacks exist now) but could be a rework or alternate of grass. Grass is, notably, one of the many "capsule" related items as I found out while playing with items on the Wii U version, and Crates/Barrels sometimes spawn alternate designs.

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
Assuming the leak is true, what characters does everyone think we'll get for DLC?

I'm thinking Incineroar, Sora, Dixie Kong, Monster Hunter, Rayman, Lloyd Irving, Bandanna Dee, Gen 8 Pokemon, and Fire Emblem Three Houses Rep

Oh, and maybe that Granblue character
Assuming the banner is real, here are my thoughts on who will get in as DLC:
  • Rayman
  • Spring Man (with Ribbon Girl echo or alt skin)
  • Rex and Pyra/Mythra
  • A Pokemon rep (sure, we can say Incineroar, or maybe something that's actually cool)
  • A Zelda rep (like Skull Kid or Hilda as an echo)
  • Lloyd Irving
  • Bandana Dee

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Golden Sun barely has bubbles in it's imagery at all. Please don't screenshot the event at Kolima Forest, that's literally just one part of the game. EDIT: Whooops that wasn't directed at you sorry! I'm agreeing with what you said

I'd be more inclined it's a stone or something instead of a bubble, but really, not much to do with Golden Sun either because their stones are either purple or blue and very opaque

Last edited:

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Then where did this version come from?

EDIT: I just realized that someone photoshopped the sprout from Smash over the old one for comparison purposes. Oops,

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Assuming the banner is real, here are my thoughts on who will get in as DLC:
  • Rayman
  • Spring Man (with Ribbon Girl echo or alt skin)
  • Rex and Pyra/Mythra
  • A Pokemon rep (sure, we can say Incineroar, or maybe something that's actually cool)
  • A Zelda rep (like Skull Kid or Hilda as an echo)
  • Lloyd Irving
  • Bandana Dee
I say that Edelgard (To promote Three Houses), Dixie and Monster Hunter (Especially if its true the latter two had been cut) has a pretty good shot too.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Every time I've pre-ordered from Amazon I have received whatever game it was day one. This isn't the case for everyone, though. I've heard some people say because where they live they usually get it a couple days later.

You will just have to look into it and see if they can deliver day one at your location.

If you absolutely want it day one (no exceptions), the best way to get it would to be pre-ordering from the eShop and pre-loading it so you can play it after midnight.
MY GUY, I WILL GO STARGAZING WITH ETIKA IF I HAVE TO DOWNLOAD 16GB WITH HOW MY INTERNET IS LMAO

Okay, thank you guys for the information, I will look into seeing if Jeff Bezos can come through for us Smashers in the West Coast

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Yo if that Grinch leak is real that is one ****ing HYPE final roster

Dixie got done dirty though

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Uh, I'm a bit bored so I'll expand on drag0nscythe drag0nscythe 's idea. List your top 5 favorite and least favorite characters in SSBU. Explanations are fine, but not needed.

Favorite: :ultlink::ultgreninja::ultlucario::ultmewtwo::ultsonic:

Least Favorite: :ultdaisy::ultpeach::ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultwario: (this all could change)

What about you?
Okay then...

Favorite: :ultyoshi:.................................................................................................:ultrichter::ultshulk::ultmegaman::ultluigi:

Least Favorite: :ultpalutena::ultwiifittrainer::ultmewtwo::ultsheik::ultcloud:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
I guess my counter point would be MAYBE they were hired to do that and they do have consent from nintendo, nintendo may have even sent them a clean image so they can reposition as they need to.

For instance Yoshi disappeared from the games box art when the ESRB logo came out so whoevers making THAT may have had the individual files for all the characters and the background of the box art etc... and altered it for the ESRB logo. I just think its a completely possible scenario from a graphic design/printing promotional material company to be given all that stuff and the ability to alter it in order to MAKE good looking material.

it also might be some kind of wrap for something else and not a wrist band but i have no idea of that for sure ive just heard people speculate what it could be.
Yeah they do, but unless Nintendo has a version of the background with very very minor changes for small print, I highly doubt any of that is true. Artwork usually isn't changed like that for scaling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom