• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Hi guys. I've been following this thread for the past 400+ pages or so and I made an account just to offer some thoughts on something a few people have been mentioning.

A few people are claiming the leak to be fake because it has 7 new characters and that goes against Sakurai's words of "slowing down" the announcements. They also mention that in September, we only got one character to be revealed: Isabelle.

This is reaching a bit, but what if that wasn't meant to be it? What if we WERE supposed to get one more character reveal out of that direct?

We know that Nintendo delayed the Direct because of the earthquake. Don't know if any of you are very into Japanese media, but they are very, very conscious about offending people over mass tragedies. Metal Gear Solid 2 famously had some scenes of its ending changed because of the 9/11 tragedy.

What I'm trying to say is that we were maybe meant to get Isaac as a reveal on that direct too. Isaac's powers are related to the earth and tremors. Maybe Nintendo thought it would feel very disrespectful and pushed the reveal back, By that logic, if the leak is real then we'd only need to reveal six more characters.

Just offering some thoughts there.
Would've forced them to change the numbering which is essential to this game
I don't believe it tbh

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
As a transwoman, do I even want to go back and see what was said? X_X
nope

Hi guys. I've been following this thread for the past 400+ pages or so and I made an account just to offer some thoughts on something a few people have been mentioning.

A few people are claiming the leak to be fake because it has 7 new characters and that goes against Sakurai's words of "slowing down" the announcements. They also mention that in September, we only got one character to be revealed: Isabelle.

This is reaching a bit, but what if that wasn't meant to be it? What if we WERE supposed to get one more character reveal out of that direct?

We know that Nintendo delayed the Direct because of the earthquake. Don't know if any of you are very into Japanese media, but they are very, very conscious about offending people over mass tragedies. Metal Gear Solid 2 famously had some scenes of its ending changed because of the 9/11 tragedy.

What I'm trying to say is that we were maybe meant to get Isaac as a reveal on that direct too. Isaac's powers are related to the earth and tremors. Maybe Nintendo thought it would feel very disrespectful and pushed the reveal back, By that logic, if the leak is real then we'd only need to reveal six more characters.

hey! welcome to the forums. hope you stick around after the game comes out~

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'm going to feel elitist for the fact that I posted here on Page 1 lol. Especially considering how many pages this thread will have when it's all said and done.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I'm not even gonna ****ing bother with the people on this site anymore, so you're welcome. I'm gone.

I wasn't even trying to make this a thing. All I said was, SJWs apparently scared Etika off the internet because he said "racist no-no words".
Don't worry about it. Just focus on the leak discussion.

----

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Someone proved that moving the Characters and drawing the missing part of them isn't that difficult and did half of it in less than a day in a gif

Source is Resetera but I'm on mobile and only have the picture.
Along side Shadows Disapearing.
Then there the empty Battlefields shady changes...
Also, now that I see the "clear" artwork next to the weird newcomers...They seems very off...Kinda...
All they've done is cropped the characters from the original and put them on top of the leak. It's not the same as doing it from scratch where moving the characters would result with there just being white in the characters original spot. And they didn't even do the whole thing.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually starting to miss the times when we would speculate over whether or not Skull Kid and Medusa would get in as a Halloween rep.

Instead, we're talking about the Grinch in October.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
At this rate we really could get to page 6969 by the next direct
We may very wall get to "Number too big, you killed Smashboards you monster!" before the next direct

Tyrathius

Smash Cadet
Here's a clearer image of that green item they found:

https://twitter.com/AlphaOblivion7/status/1055576381416005633

It's clearly the sprout from Wall-E It might be from Golden Sun from a reply in that thread; my guess was the brainwash-sprout from Super Paper Mario when replying to PushDustin, but I was just being silly as I don't really know what it'd do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It does kind of look like the little sprouts you cast Growth on in Golden Sun. That's a really random choice for an item though. An environment piece over a weapon or item from the actual game? Probably just a coincidence.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
People bring up Wendy's, but what's Arby's stance on any current happenings? They love to promote stuff.

KH's story isn't that bad; this is BlazBlue-level convolution right here.
It's less harder on the mind to sum that all up as "Everything is Xehanort's fault!".

Don't mention those two! especially the second one, the thread will explode!
I don't see how much more exploding there can be, it explodes when someone does so much as cough in here.

Oh god, don't get me started on how ****ed Blazblue Lore is.
Kingdom Hearts is a kid's fairy tale in comparison lol

I'm rather curious as to who writes/directs for that particular series, Nomura can only wish he was this confusing.

Last edited:

Chrono.

This really is "be careful what you wish for" lmao. We wanted an ESRB level leak. And we got one. Boy oh boy we did.

My only gripe is that I wish this leak was much more decisive/undeniable. ESRB seems like nearly everyone but the most ardent people in denial agreed it was true, but this one it seems has split the community 50/50 with very good arguments for both sides.

Sure "we'll find out soon enough" and like I said...I'm grateful we have something interesting to discuss for once, but still...

Given the backstory and nature of this leak, however, I totally understand why it is NOT more ironclad.
Someone in era posted a bunch of old reactions to the esrb leak from gaf.

The similarities between posts then and the posts of this leak now are staggering.

The big difference being this leak is a lot harder to buy tbh. Especially with the new inconsistencies showing up.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
All they've done is cropped the characters from the original and put them on top of the leak. It's not the same as doing it from scratch.
Yes...And people were complaining that it would be too hard, and that no one would go the lenght to Clean and past every characters.
The point that this prove is that if you have the Empty Battlefield that you painted over.
You can as easily just clean each artwork to move them around, also, lmao, look at the Mii placement and Olimar-

Polan

Smash Lord
He's having an extremely normal, well-adjusted day.
yup, only the most normal of people go into the internet and rage at the esssjjjwwws in a completely unrelated thread.

anyway

here's what would swing me from fake to real: zoom in on those character portraits. the mural artist, which some on reddit were able to single out as Yusuke Nakano, has a very distintive artstyle. let me see that character art up close and personal and see if it lines up with his work.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Ura circa April 13, 2016

*enters the Time Machine*
One possibility I had in mind was that Smash NX is released as a straight up port with only the DLC included (maybe the IC's as well) and then every year or half a year character/stage/misc packs are released that add extra content to the game and this goes on for the entire lifespan of the NX.

Unlikely but I would love for that to be the case.
Lol a port with only the DLC characters and IC's added in. 2016 me was so naive.

And i'm also waiting on the NX to be revealed mind you. :laugh: Any day now Nintendo...

But you know, the idea I had about yearly or half-year updates I think is still a great idea and probably something that's going to be implemented. Probably more frequent then that but still.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
This really is "be careful what you wish for" lmao. We wanted an ESRB level leak. And we got one. Boy oh boy we did.

My only gripe is that I wish this leak was much more decisive/undeniable. ESRB seems like nearly everyone but the most ardent people in denial agreed it was true, but this one it seems has split the community 50/50 with very good arguments for both sides.

Sure "we'll find out soon enough" and like I said...I'm grateful we have something interesting to discuss for once, but still...

Given the backstory and nature of this leak, however, I totally understand why it is NOT more ironclad.
Given the backstory and nature of this leak, I wonder if I fell into an alternate reality. :rotfl:

D

Deleted member

I had Wendy's today

They forgot my fries.
My Wendy's is always running out of inventory, be it chicken nuggets (the 4 for 4 deal is HUGELY popular, even though I argue you could eat yourself stupid for $5 at Burger King right now), or fountain beverages. It was a miracle I got the manager to replace the nuggets in my meal with a cookie.

Yes... I paid $4 for a 4 for 4 meal without the nuggets.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199

It's clearly the sprout from Wall-E It might be from Golden Sun from a reply in that thread; my guess was the brainwash-sprout from Super Paper Mario when replying to PushDustin, but I was just being silly as I don't really know what it'd do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Is it me or does that looks like growth syngery from Golden Sun? It didn't match with healing item that Push thought it was that item.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
yup, only the most normal of people go into the internet and rage at the esssjjjwwws in a completely unrelated thread.

anyway

here's what would swing me from fake to real: zoom in on those character portraits. the mural artist, which some on reddit were able to single out as Yusuke Nakano, has a very distintive artstyle. let me see that character up close and personal and see if it lines up with his work.
Upsets me this leak can only be traced to a screencap of a video
Imagine if we had this baby up close and in view

Flon

Smash Cadet
Someone proved that moving the Characters and drawing the missing part of them isn't that difficult and did half of it in less than a day in a gif

Source is Resetera but I'm on mobile and only have the picture.
Along side Shadows Disapearing.
Then there the empty Battlefields shady changes...
Also, now that I see the "clear" artwork next to the weird newcomers...They seems very off...Kinda...
Interestingly enough, the artist who recreated aspects of the mural claims that it's the opposite of "anyone could recreate this".

Now while this may appear to say "anyone could recreate this", I actually think it's the opposite. It wasn't until I went hands on with recreating the leaked mural that I realized just how many small adjustments have been made compared to the currently released one. It turns out that almost every single character has slightly moved in order to accommodate the new characters. Of course there's the obvious movements such as Olimar and the Miis, but on closer inspection there are many characters that have very slightly changed position. Here is one example I took when editing this; The translucent Mewtwo is where he used to be in relation to Bayonetta, while the solid one is where he is now. There are many others if you closely examine the postions of any 2 characters relative to eachother. Bowser and Ike, Cloud and Isabelle, Daisy and Greninja, etc. It's crazy.

It's also important to note that I had to paint over a lot of missing gaps after moving characters around. I haven't looked at every single version of the mural that has ever existed, but there bits of characters in the leak that I could not find anywhere else. The example off the top of my head is I could not find a version where the end of Greninja's tongue is NOT covered by Snake's weapon, although in the leak it is uncovered (I had to paint it in).

TL;DR If this leak is fake, the faker went through EXTRAORDINARY efforts to edit the mural. The majority of characters have slightly moved and there are spots previously unseen on the previous versions of the mural. I'm almost convinced whoever made this graphic had to have access to every isolated character portrait on its own layer, which afaik are not public. I'm leaning pretty hard towards this being legit, but you never know, maybe someone really is that insane. Anyways sorry for the wall of text. I'll probably finish the rest of the mural tonight or tommorow.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
How about we just throw this leak aside and expect just Ken and Incineroar, that way if it isn't legit, we won't feel too upset...:secretkpop:
I'm still 50/50 on the leak though...
I'll do a better mix. Lean towards it being real with the chance of phoenix Wright joining in as well alongside the 7.

Granted, I'm on no team.

D

Deleted member

That looks like Golden Sun, alright.
would be super funny if Sakurai got Isaac leaked this way lol

Were you even here during ESRB? Everyone but like, 10 people at best were calling it fake. It only became undeniable with the video footage and even then some people denied it.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace

Hi welcome to the site and thanks for your thoughts. Hope you enjoy it here...though this place is bat**** crazy so be forewarned. ;)

There have been some who've theorized just like you that Isaac was meant for the September direct. I honestly don't buy it because it turns out we got AC for Switch announced with Isabelle. Could it have been cut and pasted? Maybe, but I don't think dropping Isaac outside of any real meaningful context in the September direct makes sense. It doesn't meld with anything else shown off in the direct. If they're planning a Golden Sun revival sure, but as of now I am pretty sure they originally intended Isabelle for the September direct, given AC was announced as well. A general direct usually wouldn't just drop a character and not have another game or project associated with them.

We'll probably never know one way or another if Isaac is eventually announced, but obviously if Isaac doesn't make it, then there's our answer, since they didn't intend for him to be in the game at all, they never had to move the direct because of Isaac.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Mmm... Seems to be that the main counterpoint right now is that a lot of sources are still insisting on Inceniroar and some even insist on more beyond that. A lot of it sounds like a lot of these sources aren't denying the 7 but are insisting that Inceniroar is the main character that a lot of them can confirm is in. I feel like that's important distinction because it means "Banjo could be in but I don't know" instead of "no, Banjo's not in" for example.

I do think that the identity of some characters has been kept more a secret than others, which is why we have this current situation. Aside from Ken (because, you know, who cares), the 7 were probably considered top secret and meant for a big blow out near the end. That said, Inceniroar being revealed might not be the silver bullet people fear it would be. If anything, it would just remove an obstacle for doubt as it's clearly the main hang up right now.

FlappyFalco

Smesh Ace
NNID
HyperToxBox64
3DS FC
3866-8228-7394
Switch FC
SW-5551-9470-0820
OK, so for #TeamFake, we have:
  • We have proven that the whole thing would be very possible for a single individual to fake. See my post.
  • All the insiders outright saying it's fake or missing a character.
  • Neither of Eric's companies appearing to do anything Smash related.
  • Sakurai saying they were "slowing down reveals"
  • None of the Grinch renders being new as we had thought.
  • Eric himself being a 50 year old man who likely doesn't care about Smash or SnapChat
  • The SnapChat name being so poorly covered up, almost intentionally, as the transparency would have to be upped on the brush tool
  • No reason for a promo company to produce a blank Battlefield background.
  • The Chad Ganondorf leaker saying that Ray from Custom Robo was cut when Nintendo lost the trademark for him quite a while ago when they could have easily renewed it
  • Snake's shadow
  • And finally, the inconsistencies between the E3 background and the one shown, as pointed out so skilfully by vaanrose vaanrose

Did I miss anything?

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Guys, characters being moved to other parts of the banner HAS happened before. This actually may support the leak extremely heavily. I may actually blow your minds right now, I'm not sure, so read carefully and follow me. Here's the changes up to K. Rool.

Diddy was moved from the left of Sheik to the right to accommodate space for K. Rool because Dark Pit and Falco were moved over. Duck Hunt was moved from above Falcon, to below Falcon to accommodate Ridley, then back up level with Falcon to accommodate Chrom. Young Link was moved WAY over from the right of Mario and in front of Charizard, all the way over to the left of Mario and near Charizards tail to accommodate Dark Samus and Richter. Mii Gunner moved from under Link to the right of Link to accommodate Simon. Additionally, moving Mii Gunner, Young Link and Duck Hunt revealed more of their art we couldn't see because they were behind other characters. Isabelle and Daisy do not shift anybody significantly and Inkling was there since the beginning.

Sound familiar?
Okay, then here's the leak, which may be the next possible banner update.

Lets go through it again shall we? This time all go through it via the leaked characters to follow along more easily.

- Shadow and Banjo and Kazooie: Mii Brawler and Mii Swordfighter, both displaced by Shadow and Mii Gunner, displaced by Banjo were all moved to a new location where Luigi and R.O.B were on the most recent banner, to the right of Mewtwo. Nice and clean and all 3 are finally together. Everybody else is just slightly shifted to accomodate those 2 characters. As a result, Luigi and Rob were moved to new locations to the right of Dark Pit, Falco and Sheik, further displacing Diddy Kong even more to the right to Pit (like I said before, he was to the LEFT of Sheik at one point, refer to the first banner image) opening up a ton of space up top. This shifting also reveals more of Greninja's tongue among other hidden art from characters

-Ken: All of that opened up space with Diddy allowed for Ken to be placed there with relative ease, along with Luigi and R.O.B like I mentioned before. Shadow, Banjo and Ken all had a hand in shifting the characters like this. It's all very logical and clean.

- Isaac: Completely replaces Olimar's spot. Luckily since Olimar is extremely small, he fits snug right in front of Banjo, Greninja and Snake. Fairly simple.

- Mach Rider and Chorus Kids: Doing this one together because they both shift characters at the bottom. Mach Rider shifts Roy to the right, shifting Megaman as well to be in front of Marth, when he originally was pretty much to the left. Villager does not move much because of Chorus Kids. The addition of Chorus Kids pushes Pokemon Trainer to the right, SQUEEZES together Wario and Dedede and totally displaces Jigglypuff to under Dark Samus. All of this extra shifting and spacing to the right allows both to fit here. This shifting also reveals more of Jigglypuff's body and reveals Roy's foot, which was hidden behind Inkling.

- Geno: Extremely small like Jiggly and Olimar, so he fit snug between Pac-Man and Dark Samus without moving much of anything.

There are likely (and definitely) things I'm missing here. But guys....this looks almost too professional to me. You may need direct assets and charact art render's to be able to move people like this (and even reveal new art in the process). Not on that, but there are literally THOUSANDS of movement and space changes between all characters to accommodate it. This was done many times to accommodate new characters in previous banners, and its done exactly the same in the leak. Like logically and soundly, DONE THE SAME.

I honestly can't think of a better reason for why I think this leak is real, outside of the how it got leaked in the first place.

Hope people enjoy reading this as much as I had proving it.

Last edited:

Saelind Genesis

Smash Apprentice
Would've forced them to change the numbering which is essential to this game
I don't believe it tbh
I don't particularly believe it would be difficult for them to do that, considering both characters weren't revealed then. Also, no they don't really have to change the numbering if Isaac and Isabelle were both supposed to be revealed.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Oh god, don't get me started on how ****ed Blazblue Lore is.
Kingdom Hearts is a kid's fairy tale in comparison lol

If Kingdom hearts is Canturbury Tales, then Blazblue is friggin Finnegans Wake... Anything more convoluted than that would be like that time i typed a bunch of random gibberish and sold it as a book... Made a killing for it actually :p

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Oh, come on. We all know Nintendo had a video prepared in advance with a shiny green thing just to distract us if a leak ever were to occur.

in my personal head canon

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Holy crap that looks like the icon for Growth in Golden Sun.

*isaac intensifies*

D

Deleted member

Hi welcome to the site and thanks for your thoughts. Hope you enjoy it here...though this place is bat**** crazy so be forewarned. ;)

There have been some who've theorized just like you that Isaac was meant for the September direct. I honestly don't buy it because it turns out we got AC for Switch announced with Isabelle. Could it have been cut and pasted? Maybe, but I don't think dropping Isaac outside of any real meaningful context in the September direct makes sense. It doesn't meld with anything else shown off in the direct. If they're planning a Golden Sun revival sure, but as of now I am pretty sure they originally intended Isabelle for the September direct, given AC was announced as well. A general direct usually wouldn't just drop a character and not have another game or project associated with them.

We'll probably never know one way or another if Isaac is eventually announced, but obviously if Isaac doesn't make it, then there's our answer, since they didn't intend for him to be in the game at all, they never had to move the direct because of Isaac.
The common argument in this theory is that Isaac's trailer would have incorporated environmental damage, given his overall abilities as a Venus Adept, which at the time of the reveal would have been in poor taste due to the real-life natural disaster that caused the one-week delay. The fact that his art on the banner shows him using Growth, which is environmental manipulation, kinda helps this argument a little bit.

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman
I mean, it technically makes sense. Look at the "wristband" thing in the original leak picture. The background without the characters is designed to be able to be seamlessly looped in case you need to. In this case, in the wristband the whole background appears twice side by side. On the right, we have the whole roster, and then there's the space on the left for the "Nintendo Switch" logo and the Smash Ultimate title. If it was real, it makes sense that Nintendo sent them the empty background so that they could compose the designs to be printed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm on team fake, but I just wanted to let you know that this doesn't (dis)prove anything.
You're misunderstanding the point of my post. This supports it being real more than anything else. If this is fake, the leaker had to have had the same idea as Nintendo to use the empty mural background for promotional material without actually having known they had done so in the past (or else they would have had a reference to recreate the background perfectly).

It's not a completely impossible notion that they came up with that idea that turned out to be accurate by pure chance, but it does put an additional level of strain on the counterpoint of the background being different to the one saw at E3, which is currently one of the stronger counterpoints.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Guys, characters being moved to other parts of the banner HAS happened before. This actually may support the leak extremely heavily. I may actually blow your minds right now, I'm not sure, so read carefully and follow me. Here's the changes up to K. Rool.

Diddy was moved from the left of Sheik to the right to accommodate space for K. Rool because Dark Pit and Falco were moved over. Duck Hunt was moved from above Falcon, to below Falcon to accommodate Ridley, then back up level with Falcon to accommodate Chrom. Young Link was moved WAY over from the right of Mario and in front of Charizard, all the way over to the left of Mario and near Charizards tail to accommodate Dark Samus and Richter. Mii Gunner moved from under Link to the right of Link to accommodate Simon. Additionally, moving Mii Gunner, Young Link and Duck Hunt revealed more of their art we couldn't see because they were behind other characters. Isabelle and Daisy do not shift anybody significantly and Inkling was there since the beginning.

Sound familiar?
Okay, then here's the leak, which may be the next possible banner update.

Lets go through it again shall we? This time all go through it via the leaked characters to follow along more easily.

- Shadow and Banjo and Kazooie: Mii Brawler and Mii Swordfighter, both displaced by Shadow and Mii Gunner, displaced by Banjo were all moved to a new location where Luigi and R.O.B were on the most recent banner, to the right of Mewtwo. Nice and clean and all 3 are finally together. Everybody else is just slightly shifted to accomodate those 2 characters. As a result, Luigi and Rob were moved to new locations to the right of Dark Pit, Falco and Sheik, further displacing Diddy Kong even more to the right to Pit (like I said before, he was to the LEFT of Sheik at one point, refer to the first banner image) opening up a ton of space up top. This shifting also reveals more of Greninja's tongue

-Ken: All of that opened up space with Diddy allowed for Ken to be placed there with relative ease, along with Luigi and R.O.B like I mentioned before. Shadow, Banjo and Ken all had a hand in shifting the characters like this. It's all very logical and clean.

- Isaac: Completely replaces Olimar's spot. Luckily since Olimar is extremely small, he fits snug right in front of Banjo, Greninja and Snake. Fairly simple.

- Mach Rider and Chorus Kids: Doing this one together because they both shift characters at the bottom. Mach Rider shifts Roy to the right, shifting Megaman as well to be in front of Marth, when he originally was pretty much to the left. Villager does not move much because of Chorus Kids. The addition of Chorus Kids pushes Pokemon Trainer to the right, SQUEEZES together Wario and Dedede and totally displaces Jigglypuff to under Dark Samus. All of this extra shifting and spacing to the right allows both to fit here. This shifting also reveals more of Jigglypuff's body and reveals Roy's foot, which was hidden behind Inkling.

- Geno: Extremely small like Jiggly and Olimar, so he fit snug between Pac-Man and Dark Samus without moving much of anything.

There are likely (and definitely) things I'm missing here. But guys....this looks almost too professional to me. You may need direct assets and charact art render's to be able to move people like this. This was done many times to accommodate new characters in previous banners, and its done exactly the same in the leak. Like logically and soundly, DONE THE SAME.

I honestly can't think of a better reason for why I think this leak is real, outside of the how it got leaked in the first place.

Hope people enjoy reading this as much as I had proving it.
I don't mean to sound rude at all but...we been knew
I don't really see anyone arguing the movement can't happen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom