• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
The copyrights for Pac Man and Shulk (Namco and Monolith) were added to the Smash trailers after they were revealed, so its nothing new if we see the names get shuffled around to add MicroSoft/Rare into the mix.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Yes my source knows of a microsoft source that supposedly was sure of banjo and had HEARD of the 7 banner characters (but had not seen proof themselves) and also heard "incineroar".
I think Nintendo needs to get moving now. This can of worms is only going to boil over.

D

Deleted member

No, you are, and you alone. :p

And, are you telling me that mother****ing LOGAN, and Deadpool 2, were bad? :surprised:
Those are fantastic.

I talk about Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix.

And Deadpool was great because of the director and Reynold's care on the project.

A similar case with Logan.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Listen, the leaker most likely isn't Eric Bricard.

On his LinkedIn, it is written that he got arts and graphic education from 1981 to 1984 which means that currently, he must be around 50 years old.

I don't believe that someone in this age range is immature enough to break NDAs on Snapchat with childish spelling mistakes and emojis. The leaker has to be someone else.
What if... The culprit is Eric's son/daughter? Holy **** I'd pay good money to be seated at that dinner table that night. Can you imagine being comfortable in your career and that's now possibly BTFO because your kid got overexcited about some Nintendo characters and blew an NDA with one of your company's biggest clients? It'd be like suddenly realizing you're going over Niagara Falls in a barrel but the barrel's full of dog **** and M80s.

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if I'm late to the game with this one (I went back to where the leak was discovered in the thread to catch up) but as someone who works in video, I think comparisons like this are worth examining to compare how the video compression of snapchat itself or the photo compression of the screenshot would have affected the image.

For example, you see in the leaked empty-battlefield that the whites are much more like solid shapes than gradients, and that the darks are muddier. I think that could actually explain some of the weird shapes. When video/photo compression tries to make an image smaller than it is, it has to turn several pixels into one pixel. The way it does this is determined by an algorithm, and if this is real, it looks like snapchat's in this case is inclined to prioritize high contrast even if it obscures the shape somewhat. I think this would explain some of the complaints with snake and olimar's shadows. the shadows in those cases may not have been a dark enough shape, and so the photo compression would have prioritized the bright battlefield stage ground over the low-contrast shadows. This is also consistent with puff's weird eyes, because the bright white circles, again, turn into weird shapes just because the video compression itself favors light colors over mid-range tones.

However, although I want to believe this is real, this itself doesn't necessarily mean it's real so much as it would mean that it definitely was a snapchat. It does mean that I don't think puff's eyes or missing shadows or other slight distortions are grounds for disproving it, though.
Can I get an update an the source of that official blank Battlefield? I thought we only had it at weird angles/obscured by things.

Last edited:

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
So would Microsoft, Rare, and Mojang’s names be listed, or just Rare’s and Mojang’s? (Assuming there is Minecraft content)

Untouch

Smash Master
This seems to hurt both a DQ character and Sora.
Sora would have Disney Interactive Studios, and a DQ character would have Armor Project (Bird Studio possibly, but while Nomura is credited on the site, he isn't mentioned on the title screen).

That being said, the common theory for both of these is related to DLC, which wouldn't be on here yet.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
The copyrights for Pac Man and Shulk (Namco and Monolith) were added to the Smash trailers after they were revealed, so its nothing new if we see the names get shuffled around to add MicroSoft/Rare into the mix.
Not only that, but With Sakurai showing the menu music and supposedly decomfirming EVERY POSSIBLE NEW LICENCE characters, I believe they're just hiding any possible reveal / icons/ Copyright until said characters is revealed

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Oh snap! Nice! Do you think that Camalot and Microsoft/Rare could fit in that empty spot?
Camelot is already there for the Mario sports games (Waluigi, etc), but the font change may confirm others like Microsoft/Rare/Mojang joining in.

It makes perfect sense tbh

Last edited:

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
I think Nintendo needs to get moving now. This can of worms is only going to boil over.
If only. I get the feeling even with this leak, Nintendo will still stick to their original schedule and won't change it up for anything, as much as we'd want them to change it up.

Taco Cruise

Smash Journeyman
Yes my source knows of a microsoft source that supposedly was sure of banjo and had HEARD of the 7 banner characters (but had not seen proof themselves) and also heard "incineroar".
So we have based Chadondorf, based papagenos, and based grinch alongside a mountain of decent evidence vs. team fake, which are using the same arguments made during the ESRB leaks.

Man, I believed ESRB when that happened (even though I was sad because of no Ridley/K. Rool, though happy for Duck Hunt) and now I believe the Grinch 100%, I'm going to eat a literal buffet of crow if this turns out wrong and I'll be the first person to say "TACO CRUISE BTFO!!!"

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
This seems to hurt both a DQ character and Sora.
Sora would have Disney Interactive Studios, and a DQ character would have Armor Project (Bird Studio possibly, but while Nomura is credited on the site, he isn't mentioned on the title screen).

That being said, the common theory for both of these is related to DLC, which wouldn't be on here yet.
Actually, Sora only need the "Disney" copyright, not Disney Interactive Studio

Or

He's good.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Regardless of whether this leak is true or false, one thing must be taken into account. Even if desired characters like Bandana Waddle Dee, Shantae, or even Rayman aren't in the base roster, this is not the end of those characters chances. DLC is still possible for them, and it would be very immature to completely give up on them before we get the remaining info from the last Smash Direct.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Every one of Incineroar's alts (except for the standard one) will be inspired by a real life Wrestler
Red - Standard
Green - John Cena
Purple - Randy Savage
Gray - Stonecold Steve Austin

I need help with the final 4 colors, lol
Give me some suggestions...
New Day: Blue and Pink
Becky Lynch: Orange
Undertaker: Black and/or Purple
Ric Flair/Bobby Roode: White
John Cena: John Cena (he has worn every major color, so they could just do whatever)

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
Not only that, but With Sakurai showing the menu music and supposedly decomfirming EVERY POSSIBLE NEW LICENCE characters, I believe they're just hiding any possible reveal / icons/ Copyright until said characters is revealed
Yeah I don't think this proves or disproves anyone.
There isn't an empty space (it's just centered), but they did leave some room.
If they're showing this off it's probably a placeholder.

D

Deleted member

>Smash Direct announced
>Starts off with the cutoff
>"Oh boy!"
>It's Sakurai sitting in his desk
4abb8b3d-78f4-43a7-8188-8b444de62c35.jpg

>Shows pic of the entire roster
>"Anyways, game releases in a month so please buy it"
>Direct ends

Flyboy

Smash Hero

On his LinkedIn, it is written that he got arts and graphic education from 1981 to 1984 which means that currently, he must be around 50 years old.

I don't believe that someone in this age range is immature enough to break NDAs on Snapchat with childish spelling mistakes and emojis. The leaker has to be someone else.
This is interesting. Maybe it's a child or other younger relation. That was basically what happened with the ESRB leak - the ESRB guy shared to someone they thought was trustworthy, that leak got into the hands of a child who thought they were sticking it to the Man and getting their internet fame points complete with the sanctimonious handle "MOTHER ****ING LEAKER", and then they ruin someone's career.

Really makes you think.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
I go to sleep for seven hours and there's thankfully only ~30 pages to catch up on.

So from what I can piece together, it just won't die? Despite statements from Marina, we find out the guy works somewhere else with connections to Bamco, that utilizes the same processes seen on the printed materials in the leak. The fact companies had to get involved at all is... telling, to me at least.

The hardest inconsistency we've got is the background of the empty panorama, which is heavily debated as to whether the regular one has changed over the past few months, and the image we're trying to compare is small and suboptimally lit. vaanrose vaanrose is doing some excellent work with it, and to me it's easily the biggest negative against it.

Not to mention, somebody had to go out of their way to make a fake render for the Chorus Kids & Conductor. That's... familiar, to say the least.

I'd like more research to be done into the background (I have no experience in photography or graphic design, and I'm already a busy college student), but overall my position is unchanged. For the leak to be fake, the amount of material provided and the complexity of the situation just don't make sense. I call Occam's Razor and it just makes the most sense that it's a real leak. What a time to be alive.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I don't think Nintendo is going to react to this one nearly as much as ESRB 4 years ago if it's real. It's a poor quality banner image. ESRB was higher quality images and actual videos. It's pointless to try and block these anyway.
I go to sleep for seven hours and there's thankfully only ~30 pages to catch up on.

So from what I can piece together, it just won't die? Despite statements from Marina, we find out the guy works somewhere else with connections to Bamco, that utilizes the same processes seen on the printed materials in the leak. The fact companies had to get involved at all is... telling, to me at least.

The hardest inconsistency we've got is the background of the empty panorama, which is heavily debated as to whether the regular one has changed over the past few months, and the image we're trying to compare is small and suboptimally lit. @Vannrose is doing some excellent work with it, and to me it's easily the biggest negative against it.

Not to mention, somebody had to go out of their way to make a fake render for the Chorus Kids & Conductor. That's... familiar, to say the least.

I'd like more research to be done into the background (I have no experience in photography or graphic design, and I'm already a busy college student), but overall my position has unchanged. For the leak to be fake, the amount of material provided and the complexity of the situation just don't make sense. I call Occam's Razor and it just makes the most sense that it's a real leak. What a time to be alive.

It's amazing how much this parallels ESRB, that's for sure.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'm conflicted on the Grinch. On one hand, everything seems to be lining up for it. On the other, 5 more unique newcomers seems really impossible. Sakurai said they were too trigger happy with reveals in August. If this leak is real, they could have shown a third newcomer in August, an extra one at the beginning of the September direct, and still had three newcomer trailers for November.

larlargaming

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LarlarGaming
3DS FC
2578-3594-9063

great point, but question is

who ... ?

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Bunches of responses!

You know how people have talked about two directs? Regardless if the leak is true or not, couldn't we get a 50 fact extravaganza and a Smash direct?
I believe the two direct thing was brought up by Leaky Panda, spread, and then Leaky Panda clarified they only ever meant one direct.

For my reference, can someone point to a reliable source that said more than one separate from Leaky Panda? I don't see another general direct this soon happening. Also a Pokemon direct is also unlikely and besides it wouldn't even reveal any characters on the banner so that's out as an option.
Wha- sorry, I blanked out after you said multiple directs. I think getting trailers out of the way isn't a big deal. Even if there is only two directs four at start and end, clones in the middle, most of them are done.

If there is just one big direct left, I can still see them cramming newcomers together, since there isn't much left.

Though, I don't have an idea about how this stuff actually done and just rambling.
See my point about two directs above.

Regarding cramming together because there isn't much left, not a jab at you, but previous to the Grinch leak people were hopeful for the Smash direct because of all the content we still didn't know about. I don't want to see people completely go back on that just because we need to find time for these 7 characters. If there will be 7 reveals then it will be one long direct.
One thing I'd like to note is there were rumors a while back of a character being revealed at the VGAs which are the night before Smash releases. It would certainly be a possibility.
I mentioned yesterday, the character would have to be dlc, as Smash will be out in Japan/Europe by the time the VGAs air.

Yeah all these leaps in logic for the reveals to fit in one direct, and the added holes coming through in the backstory lead me to believe my Frankenstein's leak theory.
#GrinchvsFrankenstein coming this Christmas

D

Deleted member

Speaking of X-Men movies and actors.

I would love to see Hugh Jackman as Solid Snake.

Even in something similar to the Uncharted fan film with Nathan Fillon.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
>Smash Direct announced
>Starts off with the cutoff
>"Oh boy!"
>It's Sakurai sitting in his desk
View attachment 171923
>Shows pic of the entire roster
>"Anyways, game releases in a month so please buy it"
>Direct ends
I'm kinda hoping the next direct is a silent PowerPoint presentation that slowly presents the entire roster, one per slide.
I need one of the slides to have slight imperfections in a corner that someone might interpret as a hidden message.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom