• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
I can see two options. One is that the final roster image does have a new background image or simply a new background for that specific hanger/armband. The other is that the leak is fake. I'm going for the latter simply because this roster seems too good and huge to be true, and there wasn't much evidence for it before it leaked besides Chadondorf. I really love it though, but since no one seems to have clear evidence supporting the new background. I can't see it being real.

Last edited:

Ring-a-Sheep

Smash Ace
Time to give my unwanted opinion!

My personal belief is that there's some aspects of the leak that are real and some that could of course be faked, it has pretty much been confirmed that eric exists and does indeed work for a company under bamco that manufactures promotional material, the actual leak part as people have mentioned has flaws and inconsistencies with the official background, while curiously also having parts of characters uncovered (like roy) that we haven't seen before. I still have a hard time wrapping my head around why some guy ****ed himself over with his job just to make a fake leak, so i can't really say im leaning one way or the other right now, but this leak has been interesting to go over.
shout-outs to vaanrose for great detective work

Its a grinch conspiracy

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
This isn't leak related, but does anyone know what properties/ hitboxes Inklings have when they're recharging their ink? Can they use it as a dodge?

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
Me. 200000%. Nobody added the conductor to the Glee Club / Chorus Men. Ever. Except that is such a Sakurai thing to do. Unbelievable that some random French guy can come up with that.
It's been implied that the Chorus Kids were supposed to be in Smash 4 but got scrapped for whatever reason.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
1. They have slowed down. We've gone over a month with pretty much nothing
2. He never said the wouldn't pick up again
3. He was being intentionally misleading to lower expectations and build a huge surprise
4. Sakurai still doesn't count Echoes, meaning it's just 5 reveals, which again, were saved for a final Superbang. This is the "Ultimate" game after all.
5. People are taking Sakurai's words out of context and extrapolating unnecessary meaning from something that was meant to be taken at face value, don't read to much into it. It's obvious Sakurai hoped to temper expectations to build up a huge final reveal and surprise everyone with the most popular snd impossible leaks. And likewise, he didn't lie, as reveals have indeed slowed down. He was just being a sneaky troll, classic Sakurai.

Honestly, if there's any bummer to this leak it's that it totally ruined the surprise Sakurai was preparing for all of us. But honestly, Sakurai's words only further reinforce the validity of the leak given how impressive the final five are.
First off we still don’t know if the leak is real, but secondly, you are LYING if you say you won’t be surprised as all hell if this is the final roster. Hell, we could know it’s real 100% and I would still get super ****ing hype. Knowing the character is coming and actually seeing them appear are two very different things. It’s how I was with Ice Climbers, too. It was basically guaranteed they’d be back, but it was STILL hype to finally see them.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Personally I'm team hopeful with a side of real. This is mostly because I don't really care either way. Obviously I want 7 more characters, but none of the 7 are ones I am truly interested in. They'd be cool for the community and some might be fun, but none are on my wishlist.

In reality I hope most people feel somewhat similar, where if they are hopeful, they are somewhat skeptical in that if it's proven wrong they aren't too bummed out. Some were worried the final direct would be boring, now I'm worried some are going to be spiteful after it :(

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

*conspiracy time*

Daily reminder that there's always a possibility Nintendo themselves have made this faulty leak (with artifacts that give it away added on purpose) which actually introduces all the characters they're planning on and that they've done this in order to build temporary hype, then disappointment once it finally gets proven fake, then hype again once all these fighters are actually present in the last Direct after no one was expecting them to appear anymore.
It's more likely that all the "insider info" leakers like Spawn Wave, Vergeben, and that Papa dude etc... is all fake info used to mislead people and spot moles. Which is why so many are so adamant the leak is fake cause it doesn't line up with what they know.

It'd be very easy for Nintendo to spread false leaks, especially if they fed people some real leaks here and there, in order to cause confusion for the final push/catch moles. And honestly, they have plenty of good reason to. It's literally just "tell this guy some easily verifiable info that's not too "big", and feed him a bunch of fake stuff amid the real leaks you fed them." Far less effort than this entire elaborate hoax. Hell, this leak needing to be super elaborate in order to be fake is what verifies it as a real leak. And all the leakers not agreeing with it cause it doesn't coincide with their stuff only proves they had unreliable info to begin with, which is not only likely, but many of them had also admitted in the past.

It's a small sacrifice intentionally leaking the next direct, or that Ridley is in moments before the direct, in order to hide the big stuff like Banjo coming back to Nintendo for Smash. You tell people, what they expect to happen, not what they wish, and the surprise becomes bigger. "Yeah yeah, we're getting a new Pokemon, yeah yeah, temper your expectations."

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Who else is still Team Real?
Sorry, I've slid to 50/50. Yeah, and I was a pretty big proponent of the leak. But as the high wears off, I'm starting to feel reality set in. Totally not giving up on it, but I'm not nearly as fired up anymore. You could say I'm 51/49 in favor of Team Real.

I also wanna be clear: this is not because of the background stuff and all that. For me, it's more about general distrust of leaks and the amount of characters.

Again, though, still giving it a fair chance, leaning toward real. It's got a lot going for it, and I sure as heck want it to be true.

SSB4Dojo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CommanderCanuck7
I am probably int he same boat as a lot of you. I want it to be real but can't get my hopes up in the chance it is fake. This past day of reading this just seems to be at a standstill. The number of details that someone would need to come up with to fake it and have it all consistent is insane to pull off. Compared to just a normal fake screen/video, this one has a name that leads back to a person working for a plausible company and additional weird **** with the grinch images. Obviously someone could fake this and just go through a process similar to how they would really create something but it seems a bit far to go. Either way, nothing has proven this leak and nothing has 100% killed it from what I have found. Yes, there could be some inconsistencies like shadows or background elements but it seems at least with the background elements there have been changes overtime anyways from what I have just seen. Either way, time will tell where things really stand but with my second group of 3 I want in Isaac, Geno and Banjo, I would rather not fully believe till there is more.

D

Deleted member

First off we still don’t know if the leak is real, but secondly, you are LYING if you say you won’t be surprised as all hell if this is the final roster. Hell, we could know it’s real 100% and I would still get super ****ing hype. Knowing the character is coming and actually seeing them appear are two very different things. It’s how I was with Ice Climbers, too. It was basically guaranteed they’d be back, but it was STILL hype to finally see them.
I already 100% expect it. I would have been far more surprised if I had seen it happen without prior knowledge. I'm still super hyped, and I'm glad he's in, but I wish Sakurai's surprise hadn't been ruined. Especially considering how hard he worked to make the impossible happen, as well as too keep this a secret from everyone.

I'm not in the "it's real" camp. I'm 100% convinced the leak is legit, and every attempt people take to try to disprove it only stacks more evidence in it's favor. For me now it's more of a waiting game to see the actual reveal, but I'm sure we're getting that direct either Nov.4th or Nov.8th. So now it's just a waiting game. But I'm sure the leak is real without a shadow of a doubt, and would be very surprised if it somehow turned out fake. I'd be completely baffled really.

EDIT: Like, I was already incredulous when I first saw the leak on 4chan, when it was just the image without the context. It was like, "yeah, I wish this leak was real, but anyone culd fake this." But then I looked into the context surrounding it, and all the Grinch stuff, and that switch was almost immediate. It's just too complex a scenario for it to be staged. And then, as time went one, more and more evidence stacked in it's favor. That's a legit leak, like ESRB. When people's attempts to disprove it only pile more evidence in it's favor, the leak is real.

Without a shadow of a doubt, this leak is 100% real. I'm literally willing to bet money on it. That's how sure I am.

Last edited by a moderator:

KMDP

Smash Legend
It's more likely that all the "insider info" leakers like Spawn Wave, Vergeben, and that Papa dude etc... is all fake info used to mislead people and spot moles. Which is why so many are so adamant the leak is fake cause it doesn't line up with what they know.

It'd be very easy for Nintendo to spread false leaks, especially if they fed people some real leaks here and there, in order to cause confusion for the final push/catch moles. And honestly, they have plenty of good reason to. It's literally just "tell this guy some easily verifiable info that's not too "big", and feed him a bunch of fake stuff amid the real leaks you fed them." Far less effort than this entire elaborate hoax. Hell, this leak needing to be super elaborate in order to be fake is what verifies it as a real leak. And all the leakers not agreeing with it cause it doesn't coincide with their stuff only proves they had unreliable info to begin with, which is not only likely, but many of them had also admitted in the past.

It's a small sacrifice intentionally leaking the next direct, or that Ridley is in moments before the direct, in order to hide the big stuff like Banjo coming back to Nintendo for Smash. You tell people, what they expect to happen, not what they wish, and the surprise becomes bigger. "Yeah yeah, we're getting a new Pokemon, yeah yeah, temper your expectations."
"Nintendo has been putting out fake information to catch real leakers" has been a rumour since this year's E3, I don't know why people still don't believe that to be a possibility.

Last edited:

Antimatter042

Smash Apprentice
Been lurking most of yesterday because discussion moved so fast I could never catch up. I agree with the assertion that Occam's Razor tips it to being real, the sheer amount of planning and foresight that would've gone into this is simply implausible to me, and given the colourful language of both stages of this leak, neither strikes me as someone willing to play a long con if it wasn't real info. Additionally, all the nitpicking about the artwork quality is making me think of the ebb and flow that came from the first 2 days of the ESRB leak when I just lurked without an account (honestly despite the ESRB 2 name being thrown around yesterday I was surprised at how many similarities the 2 have in both leaking and the internet's reaction). I'm not personally invested in a single one of these 7 characters so I won't be hugely disappointed if it is fake, but I do like most of them enough to call it an outstanding roster if it's real.

Primal Cookie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2532 0420 7538
Simon was, despite him leaking a few months before, the most hype reveal for me so far. Yes, even above Ridley and K Rool. His reveal trailer was just amazing and fit him/the Castlevania series perfectly.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'm in team "confused as all living heck" right now. This leak has so much going for it, but at the same time sone of those background inconsistencies are too big to just brush under the rug. I also have a really hard time imagining them squeezing 7 more character announcements into the next less-then-two-months, but I suppose its possible for us to get a massive blowout.

Gosh this whole thing hurts my head. I can't imagine it being fake but I can't see it being real either.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Who else is still Team Real?
I'm Team HMMM... at the moment. I both want this to be true and believe there is a good chance it's real but I'm not 100% convinced.

I'm in team "confused as all living heck" right now. This leak has so much going for it, but at the same time sone of those background inconsistencies are too big to just brush under the rug. I also have a really hard time imagining them squeezing 7 more character announcements into the next less-then-two-months, but I suppose its possible for us to get a massive blowout.

Gosh this whole thing hurts my head. I can't imagine it being fake but I can't see it being real either.
This is a good summation of my current train of thought.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

At this point I think it's best to just ride this out until the next Direct. There will be blood after it, whether it's real or fake

D

Deleted member

"Nintendo has been putting out fake information to catch real leakers" has been a rumour since this year's E3, I don't know why people still don't believe that to be a possibility.
Because they're way too invested in the words of "bigtime leakers" given their track record, to consider the possibility that part of what they were fed is intentionally wrong, and Nintendo has been behind their leaks from the very start.

It's a question is simply being far too emotionally invested in believing something is true, because you've been following it for so long, to look at the broader picture from a more objective POV.

Spawn Wave, Verg, etc...

All of them are wrong. The final 7 are the final 7. The Grinch leak disproves them all. There is no 8th character, there is no Sora, there is no Incineroar. It's the 7 from the Grinch leak, and that's it. DLC... we'll see once Sakurai gets started on it, he obviously hasn't even planned it. And that's even an IF we get DLC. The possibility that we might not certainly exists as well.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Apparently, a "new" gameplay trailer has been released. Thing is, I'm almost sure I've already seen it at EB Games.

Is this the actual only real new thing that's announced besides music this month?

But I'm sure the leak is real without a shadow of a doubt,
I see what you did there. :4pacman:

The possibility that we might not certainly exists as well.
Maybe, but they'd be heavily remiss not to, since unlike the Wii U, the Switch isn't a sinking ship.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I'm absolutely also team confused and unsure, but also remaining optimistic. I'm also team I can wait for the direct (especially if it's in 1-2 weeks like everyone is hinting), and hope that everyone goes into it being rational.

Finally I'm team, now that speculation is open again I hope we have some fun discussions about these possible new characters, instead of going back to being off topic social thread.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I’m Team ƪ(ˊ̱˂˃ˋ̱ )ʃ

I honestly don’t know but I hope it is with maybe one more surprise.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Nobody added the conductor to the Glee Club / Chorus Men.
Also a fake leaker would've just made Isaac have a generic sword pose or using some kind of earthquake or rock move. Instead we have him using growth which is really thinking out of the box.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Because they're way too invested in the words of "bigtime leakers" given their track record, to consider the possibility that part of what they were fed is intentionally wrong, and Nintendo has been behind their leaks from the very start.

It's a question is simply being far too emotionally invested in believing something is true, because you've been following it for so long, to look at the broader picture from a more objective POV.

Spawn Wave, Verg, etc...

All of them are wrong. The final 7 are the final 7. The Grinch leak disproves them all. There is no 8th character, there is no Sora, there is no Incineroar. It's the 7 from the Grinch leak, and that's it. DLC... we'll see once Sakurai gets started on it, he obviously hasn't even planned it. And that's even an IF we get DLC. The possibility that we might not certainly exists as well.
Interesting that there is a "Final 7" while Brawl had a "Forbidden 7". :laugh:
Still team cautiously optimistic
That's me since last night. Though I'm leaning more towards real.
Can we stop for a second to appreciate @vaanrose not injecting his biases into his analysis?
Yes, indeed.

Though, to be honest, "removing biases" can just introduce new biases to take their place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom