• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
So basically it's "I just can't see X getting in" dragged out over an entire video.

k.
No. It was that 5 unique characters (including 2 different third parties) seem like way too many to have left at this point in the publicity cycle. The other poster even said "character count", but it seems you conveniently ignored that so you could be snarky.

CallMeKnux

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0424-3957-0991
Legit what's making me really lean towards team real here is that there's been a good amount of evidence it could be faked, but not a lot that it would be faked. And there's so much evidence in it's favor, that "too many characters lol" isn't a good enough counterpoint really.

Again tho, don't wanna get my hopes up.

Oh also I don't think it's been noted but 7 more newcomers would IIRC go hand in hand with the blog theory.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If that Shadow render was used in the leak, and it was just photoshopped, you can say the same thing about other Shadow renders, I'm sure, or you could say he just made the art himself.

The leak Shadow's legs are positioned behind him, like he's flying through the air, his arms are positioned differently, and his head is looking in a different direction; and he still had to make it look like a painting rather than a render. Sassy Geno? The two Geno's were in the exact same position, with the cape's and the hair's polygons (and maybe some others) matching up.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Finally off work. Can I just say that with all the "leaks" and rumors that we have at the current moment, we all need to step back for a moment.

We have a video game that has...

Super Mario
Solid Snake from Metal Gear Solid
Sonic the Hedgehog
Mega Man
Pac-Man
Ryu from Street Fighter
Bayonetta
Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy VII
Simon & Richter Belmont from Castlevania
Geno
Banjo-Kazooie
Sora from Kingdom Hearts
and the Grinch

all. In. One. Game.

I dare any of you to try and think of why Smash Ultimate isn't the Greatest Game Ever Made.
I think you forgot someone...

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Finally off work. Can I just say that with all the "leaks" and rumors that we have at the current moment, we all need to step back for a moment.

We have a video game that has...

Super Mario
Sonic the Hedgehog
Mega Man
Pac-Man
Ryu from Street Fighter
Bayonetta
Geno
Banjo-Kazooie
and Sora from Kingdom Hearts

all. In. One. Game.

I dare any of you to try and think of why Smash Ultimate isn't the Greatest Game Ever Made.
What if you aren't interested in fighting games ;v

D

Deleted member

I still find it hard to believe this leak, I've already made my point regarding the shadows clear but 7 newcomers goes completely what Sakurai said and what's feasible for this game, and having the "Sakurai is a troll" mentality be justified for future speculation is really dangerous.
Hm, I didn’t know that it was there before. Thanks for the heads up.
Thought it was a good idea to mention it before someone went "oh **** guys this 4chan leak said a trailer would be uploaded and described the video in its entirety" or something.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

We might have a video game that has...

Super Mario
Sonic the Hedgehog
Mega Man
Pac-Man
Ryu from Street Fighter
Bayonetta
Geno
Banjo-Kazooie
and Sora from Kingdom Hearts

all. In. One. Game.

You best remove those last 3 before it's jinxed

D

Deleted member

Yeah it's the craziest person in the world going out of their way to make incredibly boring cardboard cut-out models using promotional material from the upcoming Grinch movie because he's thinking 47 steps ahead and knows that both Bandai-Namco and Universal studios contract the same obscure French marketing company. To this end, he then got himself an office, printed out the name of an employee of said company, and haphazardly half blurred out the name because, once again, he's some kind of super genius beyond the mental capacities of mortal man and he knew that the internet's crack team of cybersleuths would find his red-herring name in seconds.

This absolute Einstein of social engineering also happens to moonlight as an expert artist and after presumably spending hours carefully cutting and pasting characters from the Smash poster, he then went out of his way to produce 7 more drawings of his own with obscure elements like vines for Isaac that hardly anyone would be able to make out, and then, for the fun of it, he saw to making a completely unique drawing of the blank version of Battlefield just because he could. He made sure that this fake roster of his perfectly mirrored one posted on 4chan last month by someone whose first language clearly isn't English because he knew that people would immediately make the connection to the French marketing company that he is pretending produced this image. The fact that 5 new characters lines up with the 5 missing stages from Corocoro was all part of his master plan. He also made sure this coincided with Nintendo renewing relevant trademarks.

The lengths you have to go to believe that this is all an incredibly elaborate leak would make this man one of the most intelligent people to ever walk the Earth. Apparently he knew where people would look at every turn, making him at the minimum more competent than the entire government of Saudi Arabia when it comes to fakery.

I suggest you think about which outcome is the most likely here
This post needs a sticky, a screedcap, and to be shared with anyone insisting this is fake. Couldn't have said it any better.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
'Member when Sakurai said not to expect too many newcomers before revealing Ridley, Simon, Richter, Chrom, and Dark Samus? I 'member.

'Member when Sakurai said there'd be a few more characters to announce before revealing K.Rool and Isabelle? I 'member.

'Member how Sakurai said that the pace of character trailers would slow down, which implies more than a "few" characters? I 'member. And now we have this leak...

Seriously, how is it so ****ing hard for someone to believe that the man wasn't just ****ing with us? Sakurai literally laughed at K.Rool fans after the fakeout in the K.Rool trailer. It's possible for the dude to lie to us, and it's not a bad thing. It's very possible that we'll get 7 more fighters.
I think it’s more of a loop hole scenario than anything.

If we get all of these characters, we’re still technically in Sakurai’s okay zone of not expecting a lot. In terms of uniques, this is the least in the entire series. With echoes, we’re still short from both Smash 4 (Base) and Brawl, and they had similar development cycles to Ultimate (2.5 years of dev time). So we’re still pretty short, not to mention that Sakurai was pretty vague.

The only thing I’m sad is the possible lack of Sun and Moon and Xenoblade content. Those were the two games I was anticipating something but it seems like they may never come to fruition. (And my two most wanted come from those too). But I’m happy Isaac now seems to have an even bigger possibility.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So do you guys think we could get Dixie and Monster Hunter as DLC, seeing as signs point to them having been cut? I'd ask about Ray too, but...you know.
Absolutely.
In 2020 year 2 DLC.
(Assuming this is real, it can't all be base roster can it?)

D

Deleted member

What is your opinion on it having the Grinch but lacking Gothitelle?
It's extremely suspect to say the least. Grinch makes sense, but that guy got Richter, so Gothitelle just has to be in there. There must be a mistake.

KMDP

Smash Legend
So Source Gaming and Artsy Omni decided that its a fake but its more towards the character count rather than art image. They still believe that the art is really good.

Overall, counterarguments for the image is not really solid or a really counter. Most of the arguments where neutral.
I think they're underestimating what the Smash Dev team can accomplish with Ultimate, considering Ultimate is one game on a single system (as opposed to two games across two systems), with a larger Dev team than they had for Smash 4.

Also, the "two good to be true" angle rears it's ugly head.
So basically it's "I just can't see X getting in" dragged out over an entire video.

k.
Also this, thanks P1ZZ4.

Heracr055

Smash Ace
*Sees Skull Kid as an anticipated top 5 most wanted char post leak*

I think LoZ is why people wanting Skull Kid is at peak levels atm; it's artificial and may peeter out a few months after Ultimate releases

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm also still trying to process that if a Direct isn't happening soon then that means what will make or break this leak is the stinkin' Grinch.

I honestly was not expecting things to end this way.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
So do you guys think we could get Dixie and Monster Hunter as DLC, seeing as signs point to them having been cut? I'd ask about Ray too, but...you know.
I in particular want both for DLC.

Dixie is a long lasting Nintendo all-star and Donkey Kong would feel pretty complete after her inclusion, anyone else would just be ''neat".

and Monster Hunter is one of the Capcom reps with the most potential IMO. Bonus points if they have a Palico follow you around while you fight as him/her.

7 character reveals is very doable if we get a small trailer like Lucina did where we get two characters and I could see them revealing three characters in one direct. Of course echos won't get much spotlight just like Chrom.

Graizen

Smash Champion
I actualy want people to support Agumon more now

Please help me for the love of all Gods!

Mr. Trumo

Smash Apprentice
In light of Shadow being fan art, I have a confession to make...

Boshi was my OC this whole time and I successfully gaslighted all of you to think he was in SMRPG

*Gasp*

This day just gets crazier and crazier.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Absolutely, especially if assets already exist. It'd be like a Mewtwo situation - we've already started working on them! Please give us more time. Ray could be too, why not? Package them all up as DLC Pack 1.

Mellowy Yellow

Smash Lord
So this is my dream reveal trailer scenario:

We get an anime style video showing off the already known characters, and the we get to a scene where Mario is fighting Bowser and then all of a sudden a familiar blast is heard,Bowser gets smashed into the sky, and Geno emerges from the smoke of the blast. The rest of the trailer you can guess how it goes.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Head.jpg

With just a little bit of manipulation I was able to make the head look pretty dang similar

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
I can see Dixie being DLC as long as she doesn’t get the short end of the stick and wind up as part of Diddy’s FS. Monster Hunter is just a maybe to me but Ray is one big nope unfortunately.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
If there's actually 5 to 6 unique characters left, that means there'd be 5 to 6 reveal trailers left....

There's no way in hell that'd all be announced in a single direct.

But if there were a newcomer trailer every week, with echoes starting the week before November + Game Awards Announcement....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom