• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Banjo-Kazooie: GUH. HUH. BAYBEE. My childhood is finally completed. 10/10.
Geno: Never played SMRPG, but him being chosen while Captain Toad is being dropped on NDC as a mere background element tells miles about what Sakurai feels about Toad in large. Aside from that, pretty happy for his fans, but for now indifferent. 6/10.
Isaac: HELL YEAH. GOLDEN SUN IS RISING. 10/10.
Mach Rider: Interesting? I was sure that we'd not be getting retro reps for this installment. But I guess (s)he feels most workable from what's left. No Rating.
Ken: Indifferent on him, would have preferred Sakura Kasugano. Ah well. No Rating.
Shadow: Feels sensible to be in Smash, though I hope he won't be too unoriginal as an Echo. 7/10.
Chorus Kids: *EXCITED WAILING*. RH-fan within me is so glad to finally get the series repped. 9/10.

In whole though, I feel that this is gonna satisfy a ton of peop----

Oh.

If you really think about it, many most likely will be immensely satisfied with this implied roster, no doubt.

From someone who likes all the dudes here it still hurts deeply.

Last edited:

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
I mean, I'd say a person's morals are actually important in the walk we call life, gaining bragging rights on an internet forum really isn't unless you're super insecure.
Bragging rights are what everyone is going to care about. Everyone will be screaming to the skies about how Vergeben has been BTFO, completely ignoring the people who sent him death threats and ****. That’s simply how the Internet is. I don’t make the rules.

Gothitelle

Smash Journeyman
For one, you'd need to know of a French printing company that works for Bandai Namco, and know of an employee who works there. If that employee is you, then you're putting yourself and your job at MASSIVE risk for a fake leak (I mean, dude's already ****ed, but that's beside the point - even a fake leak would land him in hot water in his job), so in order to fake it, you'd need to know OF an employee, who works for a media company that's hired by Bamco, in order to frame them.
Actually, you can see a company's employees on LinkedIn, so you just need to know of a printing company that works for a company associated with Smash Bros.

Then, you'd need to put his name in that, and black it out, ASSUMING the internet would be keen enough to dig that up in the first place.
To be fair, I don't think you need to assume anything - it is the internet.

Then you also have to factor in that the LinkedIn account went private shortly after he was found out.
Following my train of thought, I don't think that was part of it at all - you can message people on LinkedIn, so he could have been getting bombarded with messages and decided to go private based on that.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
If this somehow turns out to be fake, this is the most elaborate fake ever. Even more elaborate than the Rayman leak. What a ****ing leak.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Even though this leak is basically a dream scenario, AND there seems to be some decent evidence behind it....

I still don’t know if I can believe it. The art itself is blurry, the roster seems impossible to fully reveal before launch, and when I went to bed, I dismissed it out of hand for being too good to be true. But that’s back when it seemed even more bloated, people were claiming that KOS-MOS was there and Incineroar was in the background etc. But even now, Incineroar’s absence actually seems to make it more suspect. And we already saw Mach Rider music categorized under “Other”. (Although that is the appropriate section, would they really show us that if Mach Rider was actually in the game? Wouldn’t there be a Mach Rider remix too?)

I would really like it to be true, but I’ll stay cautiously hopeful instead of automatically accepting it’s real.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
My thoughts on the newcomers:

Geno - I've grown to love him and his fans without even playing Mario RPG, and that's what probably plays a big factor in this. 10/10.
Isaac - I've never played a Golden Sun game, so I don't really have much of an attachment to him, but I will of course be happy for his fans. 7.5/10.
Banjo and Kazooie - Same with him as the others. X'D Not a lot of emotional attachment, will be happy for his fans. 8/10.
Chorus Kids - Yasss, if we get a RH rep is HAS to be them! Having three fighters at the same time would be so cool! 8.5/10.
Ken - Was expecting him obviously lol. Don't really have an attachment to him. 5/10.
Shadow - Okay, so Shadow. (This is assuming he's an echo) He'll be very cool for his fans that WANT him in. Me, personally, love Shadow, he is my one of favorite Sonic characters, but me being me, I would MUCH rather have Tails. I think the only sorta thing I'll get out of Shadow is that we have a secondary Sonic rep which is great and his animations will be eye candy in this game. Honestly, would just much rather have Tails, 3.4/10. If we have to get a Sonic echo, then I guess 7.5/10.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
It's worth noting that Derrick has a history of believing that leaks are fake initially. He even thought the ESRB leak was fake at first. I take his opinion with a grain of salt personally, only time will tell if this new leak is real or not.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace

It is intriguing to note it lines up with 108 stages...not 100% convinced but hot damn if this is a fake, it is unquestionably the most elaborate fake ever made.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Never forget that in a time where many speculators use "Literally Who" to dismiss characters they don't know, the roster was leaked because of the Grinch...

...a literal Who.
It would definitely be the biggest BTFO to /v/ in its history but you just know that they'd just harrass and mock Skull Kid, Shantae, and Bandana Dee fans to soften the blow.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Still more than Melee, if we take into account those clones were the "Echoes" of Melee (8 newcomers, 6 clones).
Sakurai doesn't consider clones echoes, he considers them newcomers. Echoes are echoes, and the only echoes are those labeled as such. Otherwise, Young Link, Pichu, Doc, Ganondorf, and Falco would have the epsilon symbol too.

Verge's sources are about to get smoked so hard if Incineroar really ain't in.

If he's wrong on both that and Minecraft, I'm not sure how I'll feel. He certainly had a long chain of good guesses (or even good sources) for awhile.
He's been wrong in other games too. Idk why people believed the dude when he got BTFO with the FIghterZ roster. We're well passed the Season 1 of DLC, and Radditz and Zarbon are still nowhere to be seen. He said they'd be in the base game. Now he's saying Season 2. You're telling me that completed characters are being held back for S2, when the team is struggling to meet deadlines with the character additions, even onto the DLC? Bull****. Dude's been lying through his teeth every step of the way. I'll admit he must have had some sources at some points, but the ones he got wrong, are wrong because he predicted wrong.

Chrono.

It's worth noting that Derrick has a history of believing that leaks are fake initially. He even thought the ESRB leak was fake at first. I take his opinion with a grain of salt personally, only time will tell if this new leak is real or not.

He said as much on Twitter, it's safer to go team fake. Especially with a leak as flimsy as this new one.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
To everyone who **** on Incineroar and desperately wanted Verge to be wrong....

....you won.
You ****ing won.....

I hope you ******** are satisfied.....
I personally **** on Vergeben because he's a pretentious, apathetic ****. That's the only reason I wanted him to be wrong, not because of Incin. I just don't think blatant assholes deserve to bathe in glory.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

It is intriguing to note it lines up with 108 stages...not 100% convinced but hot damn if this is a fake, it is unquestionably the most elaborate fake ever made.
[insert Moon Landing was a conspiracy joke here]

One of the more elaborate Smash leaks in any case.

D

Deleted member

damn how wack would it be if the mech gun isn't for elma but for mach rider

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

Buckle up

Edit:

TO SHOW THE POWER OF FLEX TAPE, I SAWED THE ROSTER IN HALF!
I think it's well balanced, and I generally share the same skepticism. However, pointing to the shadows while ignoring many characters being moved around, as well as creating an entire background--to me overshadows the nitpicks. Doesn't mean it's real, but it's a lot more convincing, and given the circumstances (pictures stitched together from a Snapchat video) I can believe the blurriness of this leak, even if it can easily cover-up the blemishes if it is fake.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Team Hmmm

I consider all leaks, even with great evidence, fake until proven real. I won’t deny that there’s a lot riding on this rumor, but keeping expectations in check is ideal.

That being said, if it’s real:

Sakurai...

YOU ****ING MADMAN

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Even though this leak is basically a dream scenario, AND there seems to be some decent evidence behind it....

I still don’t know if I can believe it. The art itself is blurry, the roster seems impossible to fully reveal before launch, and when I went to bed, I dismissed it out of hand for being too good to be true. But that’s back when it seemed even more bloated, people were claiming that KOS-MOS was there and Incineroar was in the background etc. But even now, Incineroar’s absence actually seems to make it more suspect. And we already saw Mach Rider music categorized under “Other”. (Although that is the appropriate section, would they really show us that if Mach Rider was actually in the game? Wouldn’t there be a Mach Rider remix too?)

I would really like it to be true, but I’ll stay cautiously hopeful instead of automatically accepting it’s real.
It's very important to note that if true, it's just Vergeben getting Gematsu'ed. It doesn't exactly mean he's only wrong, it could also mean he either has outdated info or Incineroar is DLC. And yes, Mach Rider would be in the "other" category, with their remix being hidden until a reveal.

D

Deleted member

Actually, you can see a company's employees on LinkedIn, so you just need to know of a printing company that works for a company associated with Smash Bros.

To be fair, I don't think you need to assume anything - it is the internet.

Following my train of thought, I don't think that was part of it at all - you can message people on LinkedIn, so he could have been getting bombarded with messages and decided to go private based on that.
And the Grinch stuff?

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Regarding Pokemon, maybe Incineroar was planned but once Sakurai learned Gen 8 was coming 2019, he cancelled that plan and is thinking Gen 8 for DLC. That metal yeti thing from Let's Go looks like it could be really interesting in Smash.

LoboRundas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LoboRundas
3DS FC
4098-3496-0921
Switch FC
SW 6696 1795 2392
Sakurai doesn't consider clones echoes, he considers them newcomers. Echoes are echoes, and the only echoes are those labeled as such. Otherwise, Young Link, Pichu, Doc, Ganondorf, and Falco would have the epsilon symbol too.
I'm talking about the time the game came out, Sakurai even talked about how he wanted to expand the roster and they were low effort characters he could quickly introduce. Of course most of them aren't echoes/clones now.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
A new leak!!! Tal Tal Heights stage and OoT skin for Link!!!View attachment 171549

View attachment 171550
I did it editing my entry for the stage contest, it's fake.

That's why I don't believe most of the leaks.
With some patience and time you can make impressive pictures that look real even if they're fake.
Even the Ken leak could still be fake for what we know; someone who has some good photoshop skills can do a fake like that.
I don't know if that was in reference to the currently discussed "leak", but they are nowhere close to compare. I could tell yours was fake in seconds...

Not to be rude though! A lot better than anything I could do. Just saying, it's not a good example of "fakes are easy to make!"

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I have moved from team leaning real to team like 80% sure this is real.

CaptainCC

Smash Journeyman
That's why I've never really liked Gamexplain. They've always just come across as uninformed to me in a lot of situations. I think it's because they have a need to put out stuff as quickly as the possibly can, which I understand, but it ends up making them look bad a lot of the time.
papagenos papagenos scooped this on Youtube with the best combination of early and accurate. Shout out to you bro. Gamexplain needs to explain their game because it's off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom