• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
And then if Box ends up being right..... Well I worry about the sanity of a select few individuals here.... you know who I'm talking about.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
True, but in the grand scheme of things you've got a ballin' roster.

-Every veteran in Smash history, which Sakurai confirmed they were highly requested...because they were Smash Bros and all (mostly) loved within their own fandoms.
-Ridley and K. Rool, the two big guns of Smash Bros. speculation and big bads of two iconic franchises.
-Isabelle, a modern face of Nintendo in one of their highest selling IPs.
-Inkling, the face of a brand new IP that took the world by storm.
-Chrom and Dark Samus, two more fan requests that come from beloved games such as Awakening and the Prime games.
-Simon Belmont, a character from a series that inspired the indie game market with games based on it. And Richter because he's handsome.
-Daisy, a prominent and popular Mario character.
-Ken, the original clone character in the fighting game genre itself.
-Incineroar a brand new creature in video game's highest selling media franchise.

Either way you slice it this base roster is insanely good. Sure, some requests will miss out, but hey ho if nobody can find satisfaction among these 74 characters then there's really no pleasing them I am afraid.
I`d be fine with that, but here's the issue: Sakurai wants us to be surprised, so if he finds out that someone managed to find out how many characters are left to announce, he'll be sad.

And that's why the Box Theory is dreadful, it's completely predictable, and works against what Sakurai is for, just so some smug schmuck on the net can get 15 minutes of fame, and for what? A game. Not even the meaning of life and the universe.

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
You know what's crazy?

I do expect more characters than just blonde ryu and bipedal tiger in the base roster

But say if we were to only get those two...

My hype wouldn't be lowered at all!

Because no one can surpass the inclusion of :ultsnake: and :ultridley: for me

just 46 days to go...

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Echo fighters in a nutshell:

Hmmmm Viacom being Viacom on my end...
TBH I think it was the T-posing.

The lad shall assert dominance over the roster. I demand the animation be as janky and beautiful as it is in SUMO, for only then will this game be truly Ultimate.
Remember when the haters called him "Tony the T-Pose Tiger"?
Those were the days...

FurretBro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FurretBro
I honestly expect the new Smash Direct to be on October 24th. IIrc that was my prediction from the start and it hasn't really changed. It's a bit unlikely now but I suppose we should just wait and see.

Shroob

Sup?
I`d be fine with that, but here's the issue: Sakurai wants us to be surprised, so if he finds out that someone managed to find out how many characters are left to announce, he'll be sad.

And that's why the Box Theory is dreadful, it's completely predictable, and works against what Sakurai is for, just so some smug schmuck on the net can get 15 minutes of fame, and for what? A game. Not even the meaning of life and the universe.
I mean, no one 'wants' the box theory to be right outside of extremists who have a superiority complex, to start.

I don't blame the person who thought of the Box Theory, all they did was notice a pattern on a piece of merchandise that Nintendo themselves put out.

If anything, the people who put out the box to begin with are the guilty ones.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

The lad shall assert dominance over the roster. I demand the animation be as janky and beautiful as it is in SUMO, for only then will this game be truly Ultimate.
Welcome...

It warms my heart to see people warm up to our feline wrestling friend. He will t-pose and flip his way to victory!
god I hope he's in I feel like this is the one "lock" we will all get wrong

Iridium

Smash Hero
I really missed 21 pages in over 10 hours? What was the discussion about this time?

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!

And that's why the Box Theory is dreadful, it's completely predictable, and works against what Sakurai is known for, just so some smug schmuck on the net for 15 minutes of fame, and for what? A game. Not even the meaning of life and the universe.
I dont think the box is right. In fact I think there's gonna be a character or two no one leaked along with Incineroar, Ken, Geno, etc.
So if i'm right Sakurai won't have to be sad!

He such a majestic creature.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Two characters left:

Box Theory is right and we're sick.

Three characters left:

Box Theory is almost right, but we get the SE character slapped on the back.

Geno
This is why I kinda don't get arguing against box theory right now because at most I could see one more unique??? Doesn't make a big difference imo especially when the unique will probably be the rumored SE character we've known about forever.
So unless you're rooting for a specific echo, like ok sure box could be wrong but also game releases in less than two months so ...

Really hoping for that surprise newcomer ala King K. Rool.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
I really missed 20 pages in just 11 hours? What was the discussion about this time?
Comparing Chunky Kong to Harambe, ******** about Star Wars, ******** about Pokemon Let's Go, mods saying to talk about Smash, people ******** about Pokemon Let's Go again, and then people ******** about "how bad the hype train" has been... just a whole lot of nonsense.

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
True, but in the grand scheme of things you've got a ballin' roster.

-Every veteran in Smash history, which Sakurai confirmed they were highly requested...because they were Smash Bros and all (mostly) loved within their own fandoms.
-Ridley and K. Rool, the two big guns of Smash Bros. speculation and big bads of two iconic franchises.
-Isabelle, a modern face of Nintendo in one of their highest selling IPs.
-Inkling, the face of a brand new IP that took the world by storm.
-Chrom and Dark Samus, two more fan requests that come from beloved games such as Awakening and the Prime games.
-Simon Belmont, a character from a series that inspired the indie game market with games based on it. And Richter because he's handsome.
-Daisy, a prominent and popular Mario character.
-Ken, the original clone character in the fighting game genre itself.
-Incineroar a brand new creature in video game's highest selling media franchise.

Either way you slice it this base roster is insanely good. Sure, some requests will miss out, but hey ho if nobody can find satisfaction among these 74 characters then there's really no pleasing them I am afraid.
Oh for sure, I do think that there's something for everyone on this roster.

Hell, Ken was one of my most wanted echoes since we even found out about the concept, so I'll be very happy with his reveal.

Shroob

Sup?
I've said it once, I'll say it again.

Outside of a few extremists, I can think of a certain user and a certain Mod here myself that fall under this category, most people who believe in the box, don't want it to come true.

It's called tapering your expectations, and if the box ends up being wrong? It's a win-win for everyone.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
If it's not larger than Budokai Tenkaichi 3, I'm canceling my preorder, as well as everyone else's.
if there was ever a game that needed the term "Echo fighters" - it is Budokai Tenkaichi 3.

And I loved it. It had a lot of weird decisions and insanely questionable picks (Why not Adult Chi-Chi, Atari?) but the variety the game offered in characters was great. Smash, like Dragon Ball games, is about the characters at the end of the day. Whether we play competitively, semi-competitively (such as I), or casually everyone wants options and diversity for the roster.

Last edited:

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Let's talk about online play for a moment. There has recently been some misinformation about the online play, about there being dedicated servers, whose peoples claim to be a 'quote' from Reggie. This is not really true, the exact quote is this:

'People have taken shots at us for that [for the previous system used with 3DS and WiiU]. The reality is, the way that online experiences have progressed, it’s an expensive proposition. The amount of servers we need to support Smash Brothers or Mario Kart — these big multiplayer games — is not a small investment. '
Source: https://wccftech.com/reggie-switch-paid-online-investment/

Which means that peoples did complain, but the reality that needs to be accepted is that servers are very expensive, and it's not a small investment. This doesn't mean that they won't have dedicated server, they are considering it but the servers itself are expensive to even run.

D

Deleted member

Comparing Chunky Kong to Harambe, ******** about Star Wars, ******** about Pokemon Let's Go, mods saying to talk about Smash, people ******** about Pokemon Let's Go again, and then people ******** about "how bad the hype train" has been... just a whole lot of nonsense.
Just a normal day on SmashBoards. :4pacman:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Unless this roster includes every character in Dragonball history i'm not sure how this is possible.
You need to play it to understand.

It's a large percentage "echo fighter" as it were.

I want Runescape character in Smash
I want Fally to be a stage.

Last edited:

TVDart

Smash Apprentice
OK this thread is hitting a low point in regards to smash discussion, so how about this for a spin?

Out of all the stages we know about, discounting FD and Battlefield, what are your guys’ top 5 most likely/wanted legal stages for competitve play?
Warioware Inc (hazards off) for the music
Arena Ferox
Norfair (hazards off)
FoD (Gorgeous visuals will make it a great stage to bring back)
Pokemon Stadium 2 (hazards off)

We're gong to end up with a much more diverse stage list than usual. Hopefully we'll see all good stages get usage. I'd say it's likely that tournaments will cycle stages through "seasons" of 5-6 stages per season. That'd mean there's the usual Smash variety for stages in regards to other games but we'll see wayyy more throughout the game's life.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
My only stance on the box theory Is about Square-Enix since it's the only things I'm interested in until we get gameplay of Robin/Roy/Wolf and other modes anyway-

- Box Theory is right. Square-Enix Rep is DLC, big chance of being announced at VGA, Geno's chances are crushed.

-Box theory is wrong, Square-Enix Rep is base game and is probably Geno.

As simple as that.

Last edited:

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Hey wait, so if box theory IS real, how do you think the direct would play out?

I think it would start with simply having Sakurai there talking, then he introduces Spirits, brings up echo fighters somehow and shows us Ken, shows all of the other modes we haven't seen yet, Games & More, trophies, etc., and at the end is Incineroar.

Smash announcement at Game Awards being the SE rep as DLC too.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm sticking by three characters at least.

My only hang up is I really can't see them going ''There's one final echo fighter." and it's just Ken.

Shroob

Sup?
Hey wait, so if box theory IS real, how do you think the direct would play out?

I think it would start with simply having Sakurai there talking, then he introduces Spirits, brings up echo fighters somehow and shows us Ken, shows all of the other modes we haven't seen yet, Games & More, trophies, etc., and at the end is Incineroar.

Smash announcement at Game Awards being the SE rep as DLC too.
Start with Incineroar, Ken after or in the middle, end with the DLC.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
My only stance on the box theory Is about Square-Enix since it's the only things I'm interested in until we get gameplay of Robin/Roy/Wolf and other modes anyway-

- Box Theory is right. Square-Enix Rep is DLC, big chance of being announced at VGA, Geno's chances are crushed.

-Box theory is wrong, Square-Enix Rep is base game and is probably Geno.

As simple as that.
What if Sakurai arranged Geno as DLC if he also included another SE character?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom