• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Y'know, wherever you stand on the marketing question, I feel for the amount of content Ultimate seems to be bringing to the table, I can't get over how shockingly little we know about the bigger package (i.e. everything outside of VS. mode). No Vault, no Games & More, no amiibo functionality (or announcements of figures for most of the newcomers/cut vets), and no (redacted green mode), aside from the "My Music" options, sound test, and a very brief and incomplete look at Classic mode (no indication of how difficulty is selected or what anything other than the standard matches consist of).

Smash 3DS at least had a look at Smash Run and some trophies nearly six months before release, with the rest of the info being shown off in the September Treehouse stream (which showed off most of the remaining major modes) or in the final few weeks' Pics of the Day before release, and the 50 Facts Direct showed off most of the Wii U modes about a month before release.

I guess what I'm wondering is whether it's possible that either they'll pull a 180 on how much new content the blog is giving us, or we get a separate stream or such showing off returning modes late November? Or are we really getting all of this information in a single remaining Direct? I figure all this has to be well upwards of a half-hour's worth of content, assuming they don't just leave whole parts of the experience unrevealed, and that's not accounting for any unrevealed or as-of-yet unshowcased characters (Poltergust Luigi, Ash-Greninja, etc.)

Noipoi

Howdy!
Hey wait, so if box theory IS real, how do you think the direct would play out?

I think it would start with simply having Sakurai there talking, then he introduces Spirits, brings up echo fighters somehow and shows us Ken, shows all of the other modes we haven't seen yet, Games & More, trophies, etc., and at the end is Incineroar.

Smash announcement at Game Awards being the SE rep as DLC too.
Incineroar at the start, then show Ken, go into modes, end with a new everyone is here trailer with new scenes for the new characters.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
My only hang up is I really can't see them going ''There's one final echo fighter." and it's just Ken.
You do know Ken is probably the most Important echo fighter, right?
He was the OG clone. He makes way too much sense.
It wouldn't be too out of the question if he was announced by himself...

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Do you guys want something different to discuss?

E204852D-FB39-420C-ABEB-65342929DC36.jpeg

Let’s talk about Elma. How likely do you think Elma is? How do you think she would be implemented? Do you like Elma?

Did we talk about Elma before?

EDIT: oof nevermind, looks like we found something to discuss.

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Consider this possible future: In a Direct, Ken and Incineroar are revealed as the final newcomers, but before fans can start getting their hopes up for DLC, we get an Assist Trophy segment revealing Elma, Bandanna Waddle Dee, Dixie Kong, Isaac, all of the unconfirmed ones missing from Smash 4, Lloyd, Shantae, and Geno.
Will the Smash community ever recover?

Shroob

Sup?

View attachment 171181

Let’s talk about Elma. How likely do you think Elma is? How do you think she would be implemented? Do you like Elma?

If Elma's not in the base game, and Rex gets in as DLC before her, I feel like X is more or less doomed to be the forgotten Xenoblade game.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Consider this possible future: In a Direct, Ken and Incineroar are revealed as the final newcomers, but before fans can start getting their hopes up for DLC, we get an Assist Trophy segment revealing Elma, Bandanna Waddle Dee, Dixie Kong, Isaac, all of the unconfirmed ones missing from Smash 4, Lloyd, Shantae, and Geno.
We always recover. We just take time to do so.

Also I'll take my pop-corn and enjooooy the show

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
Agumon in Smash >>>> Incineroar in Smash
Look, Bud. I'm not here to pick fight with you. I want to disagree with your favorite character, Agumon in particular. Since seeing your love for the Agumon, I feel like that love has crossed into obessed fan territory. Thus, I am going to explain why:

First of all, emails. I have seen two emails to two people who is connected to Digimon franchise

First email was with Voice actor for Agumon,

and this ****:
Hey guys , wanted to share this with you all!
Watanabe Kenji, the chief designer at WiZ Inc. responsible for designing a variety of Digimon, and Worked on Tamagotchi as well!
I sent an Email to him asking about support for Agumon in Smash! And he replied today!

( I used Google Translator, he sent a Japanese text )

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Graizen

Hi Digimon Designer Watanabe.
Thank you for the e-mail.
Also, thank you for always supporting Digimon.

I draw character designs and illustrations in Digimon, but I do not have any business rights or authority.
So, I can not become your strength.
If you have any requests for products, I would like to talk to Toei Animation and Bandai directly.
Even in various games, it would be wonderful if Digimon could work together.

I sincerely hope that someday such a day will come for you.

Thank you, and support Digimon in the future.

Watanabe Kenji

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The original text: https://imgur.com/a/r6LzAC9
Second, you are still believing that Digimon is very popular than Tekken Heck, at the point you posted about "asking your families about digimon and tekken" and thinks that Agumon deserves to be in smash over other Bandai Namco characters which they would get chance to be in (ex: Heihachi, Lloyd, KOS-MOS, and other characters)

Some of us pointed out the popularity of Tekken and the sales, and it was revealed Tekken was in 10 top of games being sold with Tekken 3 as first. Is that enough for you?

Despite all that ****, still bashing Bandai Namco characters just for Agumon to be in smash IS NOT OKAY. Just respect their opinions whatever you want, but you decide to be rude. If I were you, I would be respecting their wanted bandai namco character in smash.

Last but least, I have seen you posting some fake leaks from 4chan. The catch? They ALL have agumon in it, I know that you were aware of it. But come on, don't trust any fake leaks coming from 4chan.

In the end, I think it's time to quote some people: "Just take break from this agumon obessesion, okay?" I feel that it was getting too much unhealthy for your own good self.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Y'know, wherever you stand on the marketing question, I feel for the amount of content Ultimate seems to be bringing to the table, I can't get over how shockingly little we know about the bigger package (i.e. everything outside of VS. mode). No Vault, no Games & More, no amiibo functionality (or announcements of figures for most of the newcomers/cut vets), and no (redacted green mode), aside from the "My Music" options, sound test, and a very brief and incomplete look at Classic mode (no indication of how difficulty is selected or what anything other than the standard matches consist of).

Smash 3DS at least had a look at Smash Run and some trophies nearly six months before release, with the rest of the info being shown off in the September Treehouse stream (which showed off most of the remaining major modes) or in the final few weeks' Pics of the Day before release, and the 50 Facts Direct showed off most of the Wii U modes about a month before release.

I guess what I'm wondering is whether it's possible that either they'll pull a 180 on how much new content the blog is giving us, or we get a separate stream or such showing off returning modes late November? Or are we really getting all of this information in a single remaining Direct? I figure all this has to be well upwards of a half-hour's worth of content, assuming they don't just leave whole parts of the experience unrevealed, and that's not accounting for any unrevealed or as-of-yet unshowcased characters (Poltergust Luigi, Ash-Greninja, etc.)
Keep in mind that Smash Wii U still got a full Direct despite the 3DS version already being released and the NA version coming out in less than a month.

Not sure what they're gonna talk about next, but I feel like we've covered a lot of ground in the August Direct by knocking out stages, music, Pokemon, and ATs. There's probably a decent amount of stuff left to talk about, but nothing that couldn't be squeezed into 30-40 minutes.

Last edited:

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
I'd cri in sadness, but realize my most wanted (Quote and Tails) aren't deconfirmed so I can still hold out hope for them.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I've said it once, I'll say it again.

Outside of a few extremists, I can think of a certain user and a certain Mod here myself that fall under this category, most people who believe in the box, don't want it to come true.

It's called tapering your expectations, and if the box ends up being wrong? It's a win-win for everyone.

Am i that user? I always wonder

And the box is like the monument in 2001. It is big. It is black. And it is powerful.

And it is probably right.

And we want goemon. Him to.

Noipoi

Howdy!

View attachment 171181

Not incredibly likely to the point of being a lock but she's certainly got a chance. A good chance at that.

I have no idea how she'd be implemented.

I don't like Elma. I know nothing about Elma, therefor I do not like her.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
You guys want something new?

View attachment 171181

Let’s talk about Elma
Okay, finally. Something I want to talk about...
How likely do you think Elma is?
I say she's got a 55% Chance
How do you think she would be implemented?
A Character who uses swords and guns with a Skell Final Smash for safe measure...
Do you like Elma?
Uh... yes
Uh I think we did... but we rarely talk about her compared to other potential cannidates

Last edited:

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Hey wait, so if box theory IS real, how do you think the direct would play out?

I think it would start with simply having Sakurai there talking, then he introduces Spirits, brings up echo fighters somehow and shows us Ken, shows all of the other modes we haven't seen yet, Games & More, trophies, etc., and at the end is Incineroar.

Smash announcement at Game Awards being the SE rep as DLC too.
The scene opens with a shot of Sakurai lying in bed awake
Voices, intended to be his internal monologue, are chattering away. Snippets can be heard that translate to "Did I put enough characters in? Did I do everything I could do to make Ultimate the ultimate game?"
Suddenly, the camera swings to his window. A large, menacing shadow is perched on his windowsill. Tints of red are visible on his shoulders, his muscles rippling down his arms.
Sakurai screams.
He rushes to the door to turn on the lights, blinding both himself and his intruder in the process. He opens his eyes.
Shrek, covered in blood, punches his way through the glass. His grin widens until it fills the entire shot.

A low, rumbling noise is heard, and then a small whisper.
"This is my swamp."

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
My Phoenix Wright senses are tingling.

Shroob

Sup?
X really just had an unfortunate circumstances surrounding it.

Got shoved onto a dying console.

Advertising was a minimum.

And then XB2 just crushed it in its sales numbers and now it doesn't even seem like it'll be ported to the newer system.

If Elma's not in Smash, X really got screwed.

X didn't give it to ya.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
If Elma's not in the base game, and Rex gets in as DLC before her, I feel like X is more or less doomed to be the forgotten Xenoblade game.
The fact Takahashi pretty much shot down X's chances of being ported at all further adds to this.

At least their next project seems to be taking more after it gameplay wise (further focus on action and online functionality, based on job listings).

Noipoi

Howdy!
Seriously, what's Elma's deal?
I've seen her name being thrown around since the beginning of speculation but I never took the time to learn anything about her.
What's she about? What makes her tic?

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I'd be fine because Steve and my Rhythm Heaven Children would still be on the table...
Though R.I.P. Elma 2015-2018

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Unless this roster includes every character in Dragonball history i'm not sure how this is possible.
Goku early
Goku late
Goku SS1
Goku SS2
Goku SS3
Goku SS4
Repeat for Goku GT forms, Vegeta, Gogeta, Piccolo, Frieza, Trunks, Gohan etc.
Basically, every form is here.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I've seen her name being thrown around since the beginning of speculation but I never took the time to learn anything about her.
Sakurai likes the xenoblade series and her game was the one released during smash roster finalization.

That is about it. And she is awesome.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Unless this roster includes every character in Dragonball history i'm not sure how this is possible.
Almost. There were a few missing: Adult Chi-Chi, Garlic Jr's henchmen, Android 14 and 15, Toma, General Black, General Red, Baba's Fighters, Bacterian, Ranfan, etc. but it got characters like Fasha, Evil Gray Buu, Spopovich, etc. that were never in any other game. Plus multiple forms/eras for a few characters. They even made up ape forms for King Vegeta, Raditz, Turlles, and Nappa that were never seen but obviously existed canonically.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Okay, hypothetical time: Final direct. Sakurai does the One More Thing. Talks about multiplayer games and shooters and games that changed the face of both. Which would make you the most hype?

1. Halo theme complete with soaring vistas of distant planets
2. DOOM theme alongside slaughtering demons in the depths of Hell
3. Black screen complete with a render of James Bond reenacting the intro to GoldenEye 007 along with the iconic theme

This is a super tough choice for me so I'd love to hear your takes!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Even make a playable Planet Namek? :troll:
I was talking about Smash possibly rivalling BT3's roster, once again me being vague is my undoing. :laugh:

Okay, hypothetical time: Final direct. Sakurai does the One More Thing. Talks about multiplayer games and shooters and games that changed the face of both. Which would make you the most hype?

3. Black screen complete with a render of James Bond reenacting the intro to GoldenEye 007 along with the iconic theme

4th option:

"You thought I was gone forever?"

Duke Nukem shows up. Cue some family-friendly gunning down of pig cops that were assaulting the other characters.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Elma isn't doomed forever.

X ended on a cliffhanger and the creators said they wanted to continue the story with X2.

Unless we get another Mega Man on the moon situation, Elma will have another chance later.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Our local Elma fanatic, Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura is not here right now...
So let me do it for ya...

So this is Elma
Elma.png
She hails from Xenoblade Chronicles X on the Wii U
What makes her so unique is that she uses both dual swords and dual guns, which would be a Smash first...
Also, she uses a mech type thing called a Skrell, which would probably make for a pretty great Final Smash

This is coming from a person who hasn't touched a Xeno game in their life, so I hope this is kinda accurate

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Look, Bud. I'm not here to pick fight with you. I want to disagree with your favorite character, Agumon in particular. Since seeing your love for the Agumon, I feel like that love has crossed into obessed fan territory. Thus, I am going to explain why:

First of all, emails. I have seen two emails to two people who is connected to Digimon franchise

First email was with Voice actor for Agumon,

and this ****:

Second, you are still believing that Digimon is very popular than Tekken Heck, at the point you posted about "asking your families about digimon and tekken" and thinks that Agumon deserves to be in smash over other Bandai Namco characters which they would get chance to be in (ex: Heihachi, Lloyd, KOS-MOS, and other characters)

Some of us pointed out the popularity of Tekken and the sales, and it was revealed Tekken was in 10 top of games being sold with Tekken 3 as first. Is that enough for you?

Despite all that ****, still bashing Bandai Namco characters just for Agumon to be in smash IS NOT OKAY. Just respect their opinions whatever you want, but you decide to be rude. If I were you, I would be respecting their wanted bandai namco character in smash.

Last but least, I have seen you posting some fake leaks from 4chan. The catch? They ALL have agumon in it, I know that you were aware of it. But come on, don't trust any fake leaks coming from 4chan.

In the end, I think it's time to quote some people: "Just take break from this agumon obessesion, okay?" I feel that it was getting too much unhealthy for your own good self.
Do you understand how hard you're being jebaited

Noipoi

Howdy!

I know nothing about Halo or Doom, but from what i've seen I like Halo more so I guess Halo.
Even though I don't know the Halo theme.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace

DOOM, easily.

The Doom Marine fits in incredibly well with the other gaming icons in Smash.
Plus, Doom has a super strong history with Nintendo.

He's probably my most wanted third party after Banjo.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Don't know about the Smash community, there would probably be a meltdown...
Though after the whole aftermath, there would be a glimmer of hope for me that Layton and Phoenix may still have a chance yet for DLC.....

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Elma isn't doomed forever.

X ended on a cliffhanger and the creators said they wanted to continue the story with X2.

Unless we get another Mega Man on the moon situation, Elma will have another chance later.
That's doubly worrying when there are TWO Megaman series that ended on cliffhangers between Legends and ZX...

Flyboy

Smash Hero

View attachment 171183

I'm late but she's my second most-wanted. Loved X, love her as a character, love her moveset potential. X is the only Xenoblade I truly loved since it gave me Xenosaga vibes and yeah, she's just great! It's funny, I didn't even consider her possible until a fake "code word" leak and then I realized how badly I wanted her in.

X Switch port please.

Potato_

Smash Lord

While I personally would like Doomslayer more, I think Halo would be the most hype.

Master Chief is one of the biggest gaming icons ever. To have him in Smash would be incredible.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
No, I mean what's her character like?
Elma is a high ranking member of BLADE who works to protect humanity and the species humanity allies itself with.

She's fairly serious and stern but clearly cares for all around her. She fights with dual swords and dual guns and even pilots a huge mecha called a skell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom