• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
First, we need to stop putting Isabelle into semi-clone status. Aside from aesthetics, she shares very little in common with Villager. Same dash attack, same neutralB, similar upB. Are Lucario and Mewtwo semi-clones too?

Second, even though Snake, Y. Link, Pichu, Wolf and Ice Climbers aren't newcomers because we've seen them before, they needed to be recreated from the ground up in the Smash Ultimate engine, with brand new textures, 3D models, animations, etc. Nothing can just be ported from Melee/Brawl. They have direct references to use, so the characters kind of skip the concept phase, but past that, they take substantially more work than echoes and more closely resemble newcomers in terms of work load.

With that in mind:

Brawl: :metaknight::snake::dedede::warioc::diddy::olimar::ike::rob::ivysaur::charizard::squirtle::sonic::lucario::zerosuitsamus::pit: | :toonlink::wolf:

For: :4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4greninja::4littlemac::4megaman::4pacman::4palutena::4robinf::rosalina::4shulk::4villager::4wiifit::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword: | :4darkpit::4lucina:

Ultimate: :ulticeclimbers::ultpichu::ultyounglink::ultsnake::ultwolf::ivysaur::squirtle::ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultkrool::ultridley::ultsimon: | :ultdaisy::ultdarksamus::ultchrom::ultrichter:

Ultimate's total final roster hasn't been announced yet, but from what we have so far, it's looking right on par with what we should expect.
And Sakurai even said that because the priority was bringing everyone back there weren't going to be as many newcomers , so this works out perfectly. Also helps appreciate what we have :)

also if we are going to use this logic we should consider Dr. Mario a newcomer for 4 too....it's not a big deal just saying...

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Honestly, I'm not surprised to hear that stuff about Crunchii. Something about him always felt a bit odd/bad to me, with stuff like the weird codes he did to get attention and stuff...

Though this does make me curious if he stole the ultimate menu rip from somebody too.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
We all need to seriously consider the possibility that Shrek could be the surprise character for Ultimate.
  • A moveset for Shrek can be easily created, given the four movies and several smaller animations he's appeared in
  • Shrek's Final Smash practically writes itself
  • Partnering with DreamWorks is much more possible considering they have had video game representation for Shrek before
  • Shrek has appeared on a Nintendo console many times
  • Shrek has been in a fighting game (Shrek Super Slam)
  • There are entire worlds of stages that could be created for Shrek (I'm partial to Lord Farquaad's castle, and The Swamp)
  • Shrek could even arrive with his own echo fighter (Fiona)
  • With Shrek 5 on the horizon, he's easily billable as a Shrek 5 promotion
  • There is a disturbing lack of light green in the roster
  • Masahiro Shrekurai rolls off the tongue
I know it's a little bit less likely than Ken, but we should prepare ourselves for the inevitable.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
First, we need to stop putting Isabelle into semi-clone status. Aside from aesthetics, she shares very little in common with Villager. Same dash attack, same neutralB, similar upB. Are Lucario and Mewtwo semi-clones too?

Second, even though Snake, Y. Link, Pichu, Wolf and Ice Climbers aren't newcomers because we've seen them before, they needed to be recreated from the ground up in the Smash Ultimate engine, with brand new textures, 3D models, animations, etc. Nothing can just be ported from Melee/Brawl. They have direct references to use, so the characters kind of skip the concept phase, but past that, they take substantially more work than echoes and more closely resemble newcomers in terms of work load.

With that in mind:

Brawl: :metaknight::snake::dedede::warioc::diddy::olimar::ike::rob::ivysaur::charizard::squirtle::sonic::lucario::zerosuitsamus::pit: | :toonlink::wolf:

For: :4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4greninja::4littlemac::4megaman::4pacman::4palutena::4robinf::rosalina::4shulk::4villager::4wiifit::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword: | :4darkpit::4lucina:

Ultimate: :ulticeclimbers::ultpichu::ultyounglink::ultsnake::ultwolf::ivysaur::squirtle::ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultkrool::ultridley::ultsimon: | :ultdaisy::ultdarksamus::ultchrom::ultrichter:

Ultimate's total final roster hasn't been announced yet, but from what we have so far, it's looking right on par with what we should expect.
I was speaking in regards to newcomers strictly. Obviously, the reason we're seeing less newcomers was because development was focused on veterans rather than newcomers. Otherwise "I hope you're not expecting too many new challengers" wouldn't exist.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Do you people think that RDR2 might overshadow Smash Ultimate?
Nah... That thing's coming out in October... Smash is coming out in December (in fact, I'm pretty sure that Smash is the biggest release of December)

But if you mean in terms of awards, of course... Smash 4 didn't even get nominated for game of the year at the 2014 game awards

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

We all need to seriously consider the possibility that Shrek could be the surprise character for Ultimate.
  • A moveset for Shrek can be easily created, given the four movies and several smaller animations he's appeared in
  • Partnering with DreamWorks is much more possible considering they have had video game representation for Shrek before
  • There are entire worlds of stages that could be created for Shrek (I'm partial to Lord Farquaad's castle, and The Swamp)
I know it's a little bit less likely than Ken, but we should prepare ourselves for the inevitable.
Don't forget that Illumination is making the Mario movie, and Illumination is owned by Comcast Universal, which also owns Dreamworks Animation.

Last edited by a moderator:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master

With that in mind:

Is Lucas really so forgettable?

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
You forgot the most important point...
I've heard that Sakurai is secretly a fan of Smash Mouth and took Smash from their name as a little homage /s
Please don't take this post serriously

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Could you imagine if we got Doc Louis as a DLC character?
He's actually my 4th most wanted Echo fighter. (3rd is Roll to Megaman, 2nd is Sonic Character to Sonic, and 1st is Crono to Cloud... yes, it could work).

Like, I get it... different sizes. Wish they could just expand the character, and switch a few stats around.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
RDR2 and Smash can coexist. Nothing even comes out the week of Smash outside of Katamari Reroll on Steam, and the flops known as the Persona Dancing games

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I actually want Glass Joe as a joke character but yeah Doc Louis would be a good Echo.
Doc would be great but he's sadly different proportioned than Mac, so he could fall under semiclone the same way Isabelle did.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
You know what I realized. Ever since "Sassy Geno" was brought back up alongside Vergeben and Tansut claim about Square-Enix the fake leaks around Geno keep multiplying in an alarming level...

Like, at this point you see more fake leaks about Geno than about smash.

It's very sad to see.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
RDR2 along with God of War and Spider-Man are surely guarantees for GotY. As some folks said fighting games usually don't win GotY.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
RDR2 along with God of War and Spider-Man are surely guarantees for GotY. As some folks said fighting games usually don't win GotY.
Ummm... Soul Caliber was the GotY of 1999 was it not?
>Minions and Gru.

You guys have officially scraped to the bottom of the barrel.
We haven't truly scrapped the bottom of the barrel until we mention the Emoji Movie by name....
Umm... Oops... I'm sorry

Last edited:

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
>Japanese name of Forest Maze

*Intrigueness Intesifies*
That actually has me worried that Geno isn't in the game. If the game has gone gold, and this person has it, hence has knowledge of the songs, I'm sure they'd get in trouble for leaking Geno, so maybe they're lying, meaning he isn't here? I'm going to hope this isn't the case...

D

Deleted member

We're far past the point of scratching the bottom of the barrel, we're eating the whole barrel itself already.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

That actually has me worried that Geno isn't in the game. If the game has gone gold, and this person has it, hence has knowledge of the songs, I'm sure they'd get in trouble for leaking Geno, so maybe they're lying, meaning he isn't here? I'm going to hope this isn't the case...
There's a pretty good chance they're lying.

Ummm... Soul Caliber was the GotY of 1999 was it not?

We haven't truly scrapped the bottom of the barrel until we mention the Emoji Movie by name....
Umm... Oops... I'm sorry
Can't wait for the Emoji Movie 2: Ralph Breaks the Internet

:4pacman:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom