• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
People were listing the characters they support earlier, so I figured I'd join in. Alphabetized within their series, because why not. As always, I value how much I'd like the character over likelihood. Also capped Pokémon and Fire Emblem at 5 and 10, respectively.

Super Mario:
Waluigi

Pokémon:
Castform, Chandelure, Decidueye, Klefki, Marowak

Fire Emblem:
Caeda, Celica, Frederick, Hardin, Merric, Minerva, Ogma, Silque, Tobin, Virion

Other Nintendo Characters:
Henry Fleming
Muddy Mole

Third Party:
Crash Bandicoot
Frogger
Lara Croft

I think any of these would be amazingly fun additions.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Who I support.

-Banjo-Kazooie (Banjo-Kazooie)
-Black Shadow (F-Zero)
-Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles)
-Leon Powalski (StarFox)
-Medusa (Kid Icarus)
-Nightmare (Soulcalibur)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So I guess this is going to be the first game without a "retro" rep or a surprise character?

I mean you can argue Smash 64 wasn't like that either but it's been tradition to have characters of that nature in every Smash game. I know I know, arbitrary fan rules and all that stuff but it was still common in most entries in the series.

And for one I don't consider K. Rool or Simon to be "retro" otherwise Megaman was Smash 4's "retro rep".

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
You know what I feel like starting a debate.

Deserve is a word a lot of people hate on here but you know there are some characters I can understand the logic behind. Dixie and Bandanna Dee are the two big ones for me. But that's not what I wanna debate.

Does Geno really deserve a spot?

He hasn't had an actual appearance, outside of a cameo which even then is a decade old cameo, in over 20 years (a long time in video game life span). As a Nintendo character he is in no way an all star, or even relevant to his series, and as a third party character he is in no way recognizable outside of the Smash community nor is he a gaming icon, which more or less is the standard for guest characters. Even Bayonetta is more of an icon.

The one game he originates from is not incredibly well known (wasn't released in Europe until Virtual Console and it's sales are meager compared to other Mario series titles) and even then it's not like he is the title character from that game, he's only a party member.

His two major points he has is Sakurai likes him and that he's popular in the Smash community. Neither of these shout "deserving" any more than characters like Toad, Dixie Kong and Bandanna Dee.
Anyway those are just some of my points for this friendly debate to talk about something new in this thread. I'm 100% down for Geno and want him a bit just for his fans, but I'd like to hear some stuff behind why he would be considered a deserving character. Or not ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ just trying to find an interesting topic.
Ok you present a lot of fair points. I think I've hung around the smash leak scene too long and let my bias for him get in the way of actually determining deservedness.

In pure terms of "deservedness," I think the list would be more like Shadow, Bandana Dee, Ken, Incineroar/Decidueye/Gen 7 rep, Dixie, Toad, and Banjo-Kazooie. I could get into the rationale behind each one and why I think they all uniquely "deserve" a slot based on a number of factors, but that's not really the intent of my post here.

Geno would rightly be under the "someone I really want" list. Someone who has points going for them, but also has detractors as well.

Ultimately he has a lot in his favor: he is one of a very select group of characters Sakurai himself has stated he wanted to include in a prior game, got a Mii costume (which was the ONLY one to have a splash screen iirc), and has a strong following within the diehard smash fanbase. But in terms of deservedness - it's a sin/travesty if they don't make it in smash, either now or in the future - you can't say Geno is part of that.

So thanks for knocking some sense into me :)

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I love Bayonetta and wish she didn't get so much hate from the Smash community just because she was the best character in Smash 4. If she wasn't the best character, someone else would have just taken her place. In fact, I'm willing to bet that Smash Ultimate will have an even more overpowered character than Bayo and will get hated on as well.
People didn't hate Bayonetta because just she was the best, it's because she was too good compared to other characters. If she was only slightly better then the rest of the cast then her hatebase would be a lot quieter. No character in Smash 4 was hated as much as Bayo was before her DLC was dropped (aside from pre-patch Diddy) so why would the fanbase still be as angry about it after she gets nerfed?

The issue with Bayo is that they stopped patching the game too quickly after she dropped. If they had continued, she would have been toned down enough that (most) of the salt would have subsided. Again, that's what happened with Diddy.

Untouch

Smash Master
>that one poster above him assuming the Direct will be in mid-November
If the Demo Theory (the worlds smartest theory invented by the worlds brightest scientists) is true it kind of has to be early November at the latest. A direct announced at the event taking place on the 7th actually perfectly lines up with it.

Last edited:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
I guess I’ll do my list too.

Before I begin, any series I left out means that I think they have enough reps or couldn’t think of any

:ultmario: Geno
:ultdk: Dixie Kong
:ultlink: Skull Kid or Impa
:ultkirby: Bandanna Dee
:ultpikachu: Trevenant
:ultfalcon: Black Shadow
:ultmarth: Tiki/Ninian (We need a real manakete)
:ultpit: Hades
:ultwario: 9-Volt or Ashley
:ultsonic: Tails
:ultmegaman: Protoman
:ultwiifittrainer: Balance Board...JK
:ultpacman: Heihachi or Kuma for Namco rep
:ultshulk: I guess Elma
:ultryu: Ken
:ultcloud: Zack Fair for FF rep. Crono or Aya Brea for Square rep.
:ultinkling: Octoling

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
If the Demo Theory (the worlds smartest theory invented by the worlds brightest scientists) is true it kind of has to be early November at the latest.
Night of the first day... 15 days remain.

(EDIT: For the 3rd)

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
3rd party speculation time

So far for 3rd parties we've got

Sega: Sonic, Bayonetta
Konami: Metal Gear, Castlevania, Bomberman
Capcom: Mega Man (and all sub-series), Street Fighter, Monster Hunter
Namco: Pac-Man, unknown number of Namco arcade properties
Square Enix: Final Fantasy 7
Yacht Club Games: Shovel Knight

That's a lot of companies to divide the final profits between as is. I feel that if we're getting a new 3rd party, it's gonna be from one of the ones already on board, which hurts me as a Shantae supporter to say.

D

Deleted member

Early November is definitely becoming more and more on the table. However, we still have a full week of October left, let's wait and see what happens. I'm pretty positive we're getting something within the next two weeks, though. If we don't...then yeah, I guess they straight up don't care if someone blabs, lol.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Sora fits the bill to an extent.
It should be noted that he has previously stated he thinks they're image leaks, as that's what would cause the most ruckus. I don't recall many fake image leaks with Sora, and I think Geno outnumbers them. My statement only goes to what I think he's speculating about, not about whether I agree with him or think about Geno/Sora. The only third party character featured prominently in image leaks, as far as I know, has been Geno.

That being said, ignoring Tansut, I think Sora is pretty likely to be the SE rep, and more likely than most people think.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
It should be noted that he has previously stated he thinks they're image leaks, as that's what would cause the most ruckus. I don't recall many fake image leaks with Sora, and I think Geno outnumbers them. My statement only goes to what I think he's speculating about, not about whether I agree with him or think about Geno/Sora. The only third party character featured prominently in image leaks, as far as I know, has been Geno.

That being said, ignoring Tansut, I think Sora is pretty likely to be the SE rep, and more likely than most people think.
It's between Geno or Sora imo.

D

Deleted member

Please no.

Sakurai, have mercy.
I mean, if they wait that long, there's a very, very strong chance everything's gonna leak anyway. Marketing material and shipments of the product will need to start going out by then to meet the launch deadline, so...yeah, mid November kinda makes no sense and would be pretty dumb if they waited that long. And that's not even taking Nintendo's preloads going live around then into consideration...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So Square Enix characters. If we take the music screen to disconfirm any character from the rest of the FF verse, then who's left?

Well there's characters from FF7 itself but Sephiroth wouldn't feel right without one winged angel. Tifa would rock tho.

Of new series there's Geno (who doesn't need a new stage for those who don't believe Corocoro), Sora (assuming licences are sorted out), Dragon Quest characters, Lara Croft from Tomb Raider, Crono from Chrono Trigger and that mobile game people keep mentioning. Grandblue?

Still a lot to pick from.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
So Square Enix characters. If we take the music screen to disconfirm any character from the rest of the FF verse, then who's left?

Well there's characters from FF7 itself but Sephiroth wouldn't feel right without one winged angel. Tifa would rock tho.

Of new series there's Geno (who doesn't need a new stage for those who don't believe Corocoro), Sora (assuming licences are sorted out), Dragon Quest characters, Lara Croft from Tomb Raider, Crono from Chrono Trigger and that mobile game people keep mentioning. Grandblue?

Granblue is not squenix

Untouch

Smash Master
Either a direct on the 1st (to coincide with the special edition release) announcing a TestSmash for the 9th, or a direct on the 7th (to coincide with Nintendo Live) announcing a TestSmash for the 16th.

Final answer, locking in.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
What happened? Why is everyone freaking out about a Square character?
Just read the last 2 pages or so and you get the picture.

That goes for everyone that bursts in this thread and asks that, please.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

I can name some more:
- 2B from NieR Automata
- a Star Ocean character
- Neku Sakuraba from The World Ends With You
- any Taito character since Square Enix owns them
- Chocobo, apparently
- if you wanna play the mascot route, also Slime and Moogle
- Maxine Caulfield from Life is Strange.
- a FF rep not from VII (Terra? Squall? Noctis?)

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

Granblue isn't Square Enix, but the others make sense.

correct me if wrong about Granblue as I remember people bringing up a different company.

The only DQ leak I remember seeing was a fake banner leak, don't recall Sora leaks but I know there's some from what I've read, don't recall Lara or Crono either but Crono would be cool 'cause Robo's theme sounds like Never Gonna Give You Up (I haven't played Chrono Trigger).

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I can name some more:
- 2B from NieR Automata
- a Star Ocean character
- Chocobo, apparently
Well that last one is dependant on the music screen not having all tracks unlocked

Excuse me while I flash back to CD farming. So many sandbags...

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Who is then, out of curiosity?

(Wow, I'm more clueless than I thought)
The others you named. Not Granblue though.

I can name some more:
- 2B from NieR Automata
- a Star Ocean character
- Chocobo, apparently
2B?

Chief called...

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
A character from each series with a character rep in Smash...name a newcomer you’d like to see

EX: :ultmario:-Geno and :ultlink:-...Linkle
Super Mario: Paper Mario
Donkey Kong: Dixie Kong
Legend of Zelda: Urbosa
Yoshi: Poochy

Kirby: Bandana Dee
Star Fox: Leon
Pokemon: Sceptile
F-Zero: Bio-Rex
Fire Emblem: Lyn
Kid Icarus: Viridi
Wario: Ashley