• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Not to be that guy, but I'm pretty sure that numbers of post means nothing, because otherwise, jesus, Shantae have a chance to be our next newcomers and Ashley is definitely in.
Why do you have to keep using Ashley as an example haven't I been hurt enough?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I don't doubt Geno's popularity whatsoever.

But who's to say Sakurai doesn't pull a Bayonetta in regards to a particular character's so-called popularity?
Again, not necessarily Geno, because I've been in these forums since Pre-Brawl, so I KNOW :D
But literally anyone else HE says is "quite popular".

I do like to take that info with a grain of salt.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Speaking of Wave Race

has ANYONE been able to debunk the Ryota and Lloyd image leak yet?

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
To be honest I have yet to play SMRPG, but Geno alone makes me want to play it, as I find his design and what I've read about his character to be cool and interesting.

I also believe he could be in as he may have done well in the ballot due to his mii costume coming after it like K. Rool's (with the mii costume showing he had the license to use Geno's likeness, and maybe still has it if we are to believe the licenses carried over), and then other stuff I've stated, but of course he's not a lock.

I don't understand arguments against characters as they usually sound like "I don't like them and don't want them in," which is fine but no need to make an argument to make the characters seem unlikely :S (there are some solid points, but some people have stuff that seems like...distaste for the character, like they shouldn't be in).
I'm not against Geno being in at all. I'm admittedly having a poor day (not an excuse still), but I want people to temper their expectations. I came off much more harshly than I originally intended, a fault of mine when I get debating.

Sakurai does like the character, and he does have his fans. I also just have a personal irritation with people when they want someone they haven't even played their game or when they piggyback, admittedly I don't know how many people are doing that. I see you saying you want to play Mario RPG to see how Geno is, and I hope you do that, it's a fun little romp of a game.

I just get needlessly mad sometimes with Smash stuff and it kinda burst today. Calming down now so I'll probably just stop here with Geno and i'm sorry, I do feel strongly in some regards, but I guess it's silly reasoning in the end, I just want people to be genuinely happy with characters or to support who they want regardless of their chances. I do get a little irked when people "want" because others do or that they "seem" likely, but i'll temper myself in that regard.

In the end Ultimate is gonna be amazing regardless of what Sakurai decides and i'll happily meet it.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I think the fact we're arguing about this with some arguments seeming to be based on distaste for the character makes Geno a relevant character that's at least somewhat likely.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
If Geno does get in, it will be for the same reason that Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus got a lot of new characters in Smash 4 (Sakurai bias).
Oh boy, this again. KI:U got one new character and one glorified alt in Smash 4. Bias probably helped but it wasn't as massive as a deal as people make it out to be. And Sakurai having this massive bias for FE is just an assumption people make when a lot of it's characters got in due to circumstances. If Sakurai bias is so strong where's our excessive amount of Kirby characters?

I am indifferent to Geno but I am a tad bit tired of people throwing pointless shade at FE at every opportunity.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Oh boy, this again. KI:U got one new character and one glorified alt in Smash 4. Bias probably helped but it wasn't as massive as a deal as people make it out to be. And Sakurai having this massive bias for FE is just an assumption people make when a lot of it's characters got in due to circumstances. If Sakurai bias is so strong where's our excessive amount of Kirby characters?

I am indifferent to Geno but I am a tad bit tired of people throwing pointless shade at FE at every opportunity.
Heck, Corrin wasn't even picked by Sakurai.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I like how everyone think that Sakurai is the one who can pick Geno when in the end it's Square who say yes or no.
I really hope for Sakurai that they were in a good day, because, I don't think Square are the one lending a characters if they have nothing to win in the story.

Which is literally the biggest problem for Geno.
They might have accepted as a Mii Costume, but they might not accept Geno to represent their Company in smash next to Cloud.

That's basically, Geno's issue, this and MAYBE relevance as in like, Square wanting to use a characters more recent.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
No, but people keep getting way too attached to that single quote and act like it makes Geno really likely. Sakurai also wanted Ayumi Tachibana and Takamaru in Smash. Does that mean they're likely too?
But that quote isn't about what Sakurai wanted, it's about who he actually heard about and considers popular.

Again it doesn't matter if his support is bandwagoners it exists and is big enough to be very notable by just about everyone

Untouch

Smash Master

I think the crying about KI is a overkill, but Palutena very obviously got preference over other characters, she's the only one with unique customs.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I like how everyone think that Sakurai is the one who can pick Geno when in the end it's Square who say yes or no.
I really hope for Sakurai that they were in a good day, because, I don't think Square are the one lending a characters if they have nothing to win in the story.

Which is literally the biggest problem for Geno.
They might have accepted as a Mii Costume, but they might not accept Geno to represent their Company in smash next to Cloud.

That's basically, Geno's issue, this and MAYBE relevance as in like, Square wanting to use a characters more recent.
Hey, long time Geno fan here.

I would be ecstatic if they used a Dragon Quest character in Smash or something. Would be a different, yet still not disappointing timeline for me.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
https://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/02/21/nintendodream3/

Under "Costumes" he talks about Geno.

No, but people keep getting way too attached to that single quote and act like it makes Geno really likely. Sakurai also wanted Ayumi Tachibana and Takamaru in Smash. Does that mean they're likely too?
The thing with Geno is, Sakurai actually said he's popular, not just that he wants him, and then there's the mii costume coming after the ballot, so Sakurai seems to have had or has the license to use Geno's likeness.

Untouch

Smash Master
https://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/02/21/nintendodream3/

Under "Costumes" he talks about Geno.

The thing with Geno is, Sakurai actually said he's popular, not just that he wants him, and then there's the mii costume coming after the ballot, so Sakurai seems to have had or has the license to use Geno's likeness.
The fact that the Superstar Ultra remake didn't have the Geno cameo anymore makes me think that Nintendo doesn't have the licence anymore.
It's that or they just negotiated it for Smash Bros. I don't think that remake was in consideration in 2015.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Not saying that makes him a lock. You said his fans are a vocal minority and he isn't actually popular. I proved you wrong with a direct quote from Sakurai saying he is "incredibly popular". You continued to claim he is not popular. Say what you will about relevance or mii costumes or "deserving" or whatever, but saying Geno isn't popular is objectively false as this claim has been refuted by Sakurai himself.

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
The fact that the Superstar Ultra remake didn't have the Geno cameo anymore makes me think that Nintendo doesn't have the licence anymore.
It's that or they just negotiated it for Smash Bros. I don't think that remake was in consideration in 2015.
Meh, if an SE is getting in they'll have to negotiate for license anyways, I doubt that'd prevent Geno

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I think it's possible Sakurai just had it for Smash Bros.

It's also possible he may have had licenses done to include the next Smash Bros. title, so I dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom