• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
They're talking about him because of potential leaks, not out of desire. See the amount of people who were talking about Ken despite not caring about him when that image leak happened.

Geno is liked by Sakurai, Geno is liked by the people who supported him in Brawl, he's not actually liked by the people who find him to be a lock just because of "oh Sakurai is going to give us everything people wanted from Brawl".

It's madness, he might be in, he might not be, but don't pretend he's a lock from just that so called "massive" support, that did Isaac and Shantae a lot of good didn't it.
I don't think he's a lock but I could just as easily dismiss Issac or shantaes support as bandwagon as your obviously doing to Geno.

They're talking about him because of potential leaks, not out of desire. See the amount of people who were talking about Ken despite not caring about him when that image leak happened.

Geno is liked by Sakurai, Geno is liked by the people who supported him in Brawl, he's not actually liked by the people who find him to be a lock just because of "oh Sakurai is going to give us everything people wanted from Brawl".

It's madness, he might be in, he might not be, but don't pretend he's a lock from just that so called "massive" support, that did Isaac and Shantae a lot of good didn't it.
You're mixing both of your arguments. People are simply saying Geno has always had its fans and it's unfair to say they are just "bandwagon" fans

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I don't know what it is, but Agumon guy's relentless Agumon support is kinda endearing to me.
Honestly, I kinda feel bad for him, even though I don't like how he obviously make fake Digimon leak.
Same for the Yoshi guy, I kinda now skip their message altogether as mean as it can be-

I'm sure people do the same for me, since I speak a lot about leaks and Square-Enix :happysheep:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
The fact that people actually compare Geno, a side character from a single spinoff game, to two major and iconic villains of their respective series is just asinine. Face it, people. Your immense desire for Geno to become playable has blinded you from reality. If Geno does get in, it will be for the same reason that Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus got a lot of new characters in Smash 4 (Sakurai bias). Waluigi is more relevant, popular, and well-known than Geno, but he's only an Assist Trophy again.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
The fact that people actually compare Geno, a side character from a single spinoff game, to two major and iconic villains of their respective series is just asinine. Face it, people. Your immense desire for Geno to become playable has blinded you from reality. If Geno does get in, it will be for the same reason that Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus got a lot of new characters in Smash 4 (Sakurai bias). Waluigi is more relevant, popular, and well-known than Geno, but he's only an Assist Trophy again.
Geno is the most prominent villain in Nintendo though? Get out of here.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Newsflash: The entirety of the roster is based on Sakurai's whims.

Smooth Criminal

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Just ignoring the Sakurai quote I just posted about how popular Geno is I see.

Edit: dang auto correct

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I don't think he's a lock but I could just as easily dismiss Issac or shantaes support as bandwagon as your obviously doing to Geno.
I mean I was putting them on equal terms. So that already works in my favor.

It sure could be.
That's not the part I'm criticizing.

There's the implication that Geno is definitely not popular because the casual players who voted in the ballot definitely wouldn't have thought to vote for him instead of someone else more immediately popular.
With that comes the following assumptions.

• Casual players cared about the poll to vote.
  • Casual players made a significant portion of the poll results.
  • A significant portion of the casual player's responses involved K. Rool instead of someone more immediately popular at the time of the ballot.
When in reality, a significant portion of his supporters were probably his Smash following. Which would be the same case as Geno's following. Which either makes the "He's only popular in smash communities so his popularity is moot" point moot itself, or the large enough population of casual players are so into older Donkey Kong games that they spent all of their time talking about it offline where nobody can see conversation about it at all

Which is to say, we have no context on the ballot at all to make judgement on the results.

Oh and also,
That's totally fair, my error for doing so.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
At least people actually talk about their games. Every time I've seen Geno brought up, it's always been in relation to Smash.
At the end of the day what does it matter where the support even comes from. I have no dog in the SE race but acting like Geno's support is non existent and him getting in is just Sakurai bias is equally as stupid as comparing him in out of smash popularity to Sora

He has massive support, he's had it for a long time, enough so theyve actually noted the amount of support he gets.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Hey guys hows it go-
*Explosion goes off*

Hey guys hows it going! Talking about...Geno...again...?

Huh, Deja Vu...

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
So um.... what have i missed in regards to Geno?
TL;DR Square-Enix are the one being annoyed/Freaking about a leak that appeared a month ago.

-Either a leak we have no idea, only circle leaker know

-Sassy Geno in Delfino

-KH-Co creator's deleted tweet that might be YET another slip of the tongue from him about Sora.

And now people are having a Geno debate. AGAIN.

People overhyping his chance
People underselling his chance.

People who just don't want Geno and want another SE characters

TL;DR I just want to know that character already so people stop complaining

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
To be honest I have yet to play SMRPG, but Geno alone makes me want to play it, as I find his design and what I've read about his character to be cool and interesting.

I also believe he could be in as he may have done well in the ballot due to his mii costume coming after it like K. Rool's (with the mii costume showing Sakurai had the license to use Geno's likeness, and maybe still has it if we are to believe the licenses carried over), and then other stuff I've stated, but of course he's not a lock.

I don't understand arguments against characters as they usually sound like "I don't like them and don't want them in," which is fine but no need to make an argument to make the characters seem unlikely :S (there are some solid points, but some people have stuff that seems like...distaste for the character, like they shouldn't be in).

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
His importance isn't because of his appearances or lack thereof, his importance is his ability to remain a conversation piece throughout the years. Trust me, I was around during the Melee speculation period and he was requested. That he's still even on people's tongues instead of, God, I don't know, the dude from Eternal Darkness is kind of a giant deal.

I'm not even a Geno supporter but you can't just brush away the fact that the side-character is somehow still relevant despite never being in anything outside of a cameo in Superstar Saga, a cameo he got because he was so remembered.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Kind of a shame that PolarPanda PolarPanda fell off the face of SmashBoards after Blog Theory's more optimistic character counts got blown out. 2 weeks of only 2 characters in a row right after Blog Theory gained traction felt almost intentional. I wish I subscribed to Nihilism earlier.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
WHAT TIME IS IT?
NOW IT'S REYN TIME
I'm gonna use it a lot. I wanna see how many weird transitions I can do.
Super Happy Tree to Dracula's Castle

Final Destination to Great Cave Offensive

Corneria to Venom

Fourside to Castle Siege

Pokemon Stadium 1 to Pokemon Stadium 2

Mushroom Kingdom 64 to Mushroomy Kingdom

Peach's Castle Melee to Peach's Castle 64

Summit to Norfair

Fountain of Dreams to Hanenbow

Big Blue SNES to Mario Circuit MK8

Spirit Train to Pirate Ship

Prism Tower to New Donk City Hall

Unova League to Kalos League

Luigi's Mansion to Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

Golden Plains to Mushroom Kingdom U

Mario Galaxy to Lylat Cruise

Mushroomy Kingdom to Green Hill Zone

Magicant to Skyworld

Spear Pillar to Unova League

Boxing Ring to Suzaku Castle

PAC-LAND to Flat Zone X

Some of the ones I'm looking forward to.

I would have loved to do Kongo Falls to Rumble Falls, but unfortunately that won't be happening.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Sakurai (et. al.) could have picked a handful of ballot characters, some obvious new-IP characters, a handful of **** he just wants, and a handful of **** he know people haven't asked for and they would all be valid choices lol

Calane

Smash Ace
To me, there's no way Geno's not in the game. I've felt this way for a while, so I will not be surprised at all when he actually gets confirmed. I'll be happy for his fans, but despite my past with Super Mario RPG (it was one of my favorite games as a kid), I personally don't have much interest in seeing him in Smash.

I feel like I'm going to have to see him in action in order to truly become interested in the character. In a way, I feel that Geno might be like Pac-Man in how I didn't really want him in Smash until after I saw his reveal trailer.

In any case, not everything's about me. So regardless of my personal apathy towards Geno, I would be very happy to see him for the sake of all those that have supported him for so long. I'm pretty confident it's going to happen, so I look forward to seeing how the SMRPG fanbase reacts.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
At the end of the day what does it matter where the support even comes from. I have no dog in the SE race but acting like Geno's support is non existent and him getting in is just Sakurai bias is equally as stupid as comparing him in out of smash popularity to Sora

He has massive support, he's had it for a long time, enough so theyve actually noted the amount of support he gets.
HAHAHAHA. Massive? Please. It's a vocal minority and nothing more. Get real.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
If Geno is so immensely popular, then where was his support for Smash 4?
I can't count posts for you but I can point you in the direction of the developer of the game who says he was "incredibly popular". Keep in mind this was before the Geno bandwagoning started with ultimate.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Sakurai (et. al.) could have picked a handful of ballot characters, some obvious new-IP characters, a handful of **** he just wants, and a handful of **** he know people haven't asked for and they would all be valid choices lol
THIS. Thanks. Don't like how people act like certain characters are superior because of their support.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
HAHAHAHA. Massive? Please. It's a vocal minority and nothing more. Get real.
You know if Geno does get in and everyone just starts complaining about it like you are I'm pretty sure Sakurai won't know what to make of the community anymore

52e.png

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
If Geno is so immensely popular, then where was his support for Smash 4?
Most of Geno fans (me included) lost their hopes for Smash 4 because of the copyright stuff and the fact that the asking for him in brawl went nowhere,
The Mii costume along with the addition of Ridley and K Rool (popular characters) revived the support for Geno, though I myself think that he's not a lock and that Sakurai can just bring him back as a Mii costume if he wants too.
I support Geno but I know that he comes from a spin-off and he's not much relevant anymore, so even if he doesn't get in I won't be mad, in the past decades Nintendo worked so hard to make him irrelevant and they succeded at it, sadly.
(Come on, Mario Hoops 3-on-3 and Sport Mix, there was no excuse to not put Geno and Mallow there).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom