• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm completely indifferent on Geno, so whether or not he gets in Smash doesn't concern me at all.

That being said, anyone who thinks he's a lock is playing a risky game. We're less than two months away, meaning that we're scraping the bottom of the barrel for new trailers. Believing Geno is a shoe-in because, "We're getting nothing but ballot characters, and Verge said we're getting a RE rep," is setting themselves up for some serious disappointment.

The Ridley from Brawl and Smash 4 says hi.
The Ridley from ultimate also says hi

Pakky

Smash Hero
A yes, More Geno drama.... I also want two "Disney nazi" for my dessert and one "Geno is totally more famous than (Insert obvious Square-Enix character more famous than Geno) "

C'mon guys. Let's not play who's right or Wrong.

Geno is expected, and would indeed makes his fan happy, people confused about who he is, and people sad that it's not someone else.

We can't all have just ONE reaction, and everyone can have their opinion on the puppet.
...I want Tifa :(

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
yes i can, k rool rocks
K.Rool got in purely from the ballot though? He's actually known. You can't just tell me Geno getting in wouldn't be because Sakurai himself had to beg SE to allow him to use a character he and a minority want.

Which is why I can't say he's a lock in any sense of the word.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
There's also a tiny possibility that they want to do a Direct just a few days before the release. That's unlikely and very risky for them because of the high chance for everything to get leaked, but it's also a possibility we should consider, at least I think.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Is it possible that Nintendo has made reviewers or whoever they hand out copies of the game sign a contract, for which they can get sued if they leak anything? Probably why they're keeping quiet?

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
K.Rool got in purely from the ballot though? He's actually known. You can't just tell me Geno getting in wouldn't be because Sakurai himself had to beg SE to allow him to use a character he and a minority want.

he's in as long as I can keep this conversation going by saying almost nothing

next point is he's definitely high in the ballot, that we of course know every detail of 100%
you can tell by how often people cite it

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
The Ridley from ultimate also says hi
Bandana Dee From Ultimate say hi.
Ashley from Ultimate say hi.
Shantae from Ultimate say hi.
Chrom from Smash 4 say hi.
Skull Kid from the September direct say Hi.
Wolf from Smash4 DLC say hi.
Ridley from Brawl, Smash 4 say hi.
K.rool from Smash 4 Ballot say hi.

Come on, that's a dumb game to play, all characters miss their spot every games. Every time people claim someone is a "shooe in" they get awfully disapointed... Let's not revive the K.Rool/Bayonetta/Corrin ****storm post Ballot now shall we?

I'll never understand the argument that we should be getting characters that will "shake things up" rather highly requested ones. People want to see characters they have an emotional attachment to get in. If you want a "shake up" so bad just buy yourself a vibrator.

D

Deleted member

Honestly my top 10 SMT games are
1. Shin Megami Tensei IV
2. Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne
3. Both Digital Devil Saga games
4. Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey
5. Shin Megami Tensei II
6. Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker
7. Devil Survivor Overclocked
8. Shin Megami Tensei I
9. Devil Summoner Radiou I
10. Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Is it possible that Nintendo has made reviewers or whoever they hand out copies of the game sign a contract, for which they can get sued if they leak anything? Probably why they're keeping quiet?
Nintendo has specific clauses for reviewers that state they're not allowed to reveal certain things before a certain date, so this is plausible. The most recent one is that reviewers weren't allowed to reveal that Player 2 Luigi in Luigi's Mansion was named Gooigi until after the release.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Come on, that's a dumb game to play, all characters miss their spot every games. Every time people claim someone is a "shooe in" they get awfully disapointed... Let's not revive the K.Rool/Bayonetta/Corrin ****storm post Ballot now shall we?
I get you were making a point, but...

C'mon, Bandana Waddle Dee ain't disconfirmed yet. :(

What are you on about? No one was making that argument.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'll never understand the argument that we should be getting characters that will "shake things up" rather highly requested ones. People want to see characters they have an emotional attachment to get in. If you want a "shake up" so bad just buy yourself a vibrator.
I'm not gonna comment on any other part of your post but that final sentence owns

Iridium

Smash Hero
Uh, please, just...no. Not sure people only want to see unexpected characters get in, and that sounds a bit like a generalization.

I may be wrong, but I'll need convincing. I'm also very disturbed right now.

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
he's in as long as I can keep this conversation going by saying almost nothing

next point is he's definitely high in the ballot, that we of course know every detail of 100%
you can tell by how often people cite it
Is Sakurai saying K.Rool, Chrom and Dark Samus being highly requested not indicating ballot stuff?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Uh, please, just...no. Not sure people only want to see unexpected characters get in, and that sounds a bit like a generalization.

I may be wrong, but I'll need convincing.
Most of the stuff said here is an absurd generalization.
It's fine. It doesn't matter in the slightest in the long run.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
What are you on about? No one was making that argument.
You're sure that Geno is totally in no matter what. That was my point, don't think that anyone is a shoe-in. it's a golden rule of smash

Because usually there three rules about third parties in smash from Sakurai himself

1. While it’s true that we’ve added characters from other companies,
It’s not going to be anyone and everyone.

Smashis a game that’s made from everyone’s effort.

1. Both companies have to want the character to join the battle.
I need them to let me take charge of the character.

In order to fit the character into the world of Smash, I need them to allow me some artistic license.

1. The character must carry game history with them.
Geno would fill 1. But 2/3 are the hard part nonetheless. Especially 3
>Inb4 Bayonetta
She was the ballot pick for Smash4 as weird and shady it was.

When people hear about Guest in smash, they always expect the number 3. Sonic/Ryu/Cloud/Snake/Megaman/Pac-man/Simon and Richter all fit that third point, and when I hear rumor about a second Square-Enix Rep, I TOTALLY expect that third point to be respected with how hard they are to talk with.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord

Your insistence to say those that want Geno is a minority despite ****ing everyone talks my about Geno right now is confusing

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

I dunno, we don't know how Sakurai went through the ballot, he could've looked at different amounts of votes, with Geno probably getting an amount he deemed good enough.

He may not be well-known, but he still has fans, and with the Geno costume being after the ballot in Smash 4 and Sakurai liking him as well, I can see it happening, but of course he's not a lock.

The mii costume alone should show that he has/had the license to use Geno in some way, whether it just be a costume or he decides to turn him into a playable fighter.

Last edited:

I may be wrong, but I'll need convincing. I'm also very disturbed right now.
Not really generalizing I don't think, if it applies to you it applies to you and if it doesn't then it doesn't. My point is calling out the concept of the other argument.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
"He's incredibly popular. Even though he's an older character, we keep getting loads of votes and requests for us to put him in the game"- Masahiro Sakurai regarding Geno 2016. But no guys, Geno isn't really a popular character, it's just a few nostalgia blinded fans and bandwaggoners.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Geno is very likely but he's not a lock. No one's a lock, not even Ken's a lock (though he's pretty darn close).
I beg to differ
Locke_III.jpg

Edit: Sometimes i wonder about the add picture function on this board and if it really works..

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Nintendo has specific clauses for reviewers that state they're not allowed to reveal certain things before a certain date, so this is plausible. The most recent one is that reviewers weren't allowed to reveal that Player 2 Luigi in Luigi's Mansion was named Gooigi until after the release.
Yeah, and the restrictions can be so specific--I remember Giant Bomb making fun of the fact they could only include 10 separate clips of 30 seconds each of Nintendo Land and "edited" the video by moving the camera back and forth. :chuckle:

(not necessarily the same type of restrictions, or contract obligation in this case, but emblematic of the fairly specific restrictions reviewers tend to be under)

You're sure that Geno is totally in no matter what. That was my point, don't think that anyone is a shoe-in. it's a golden rule of smash

Because usually there three rules about third parties in smash from Sakurai himself

Geno would fill 1. But 2/3 are the hard part nonetheless. Especially 3
>Inb4 Bayonetta
She was the ballot pick for Smash4 as weird and shady it was.

When people hear about Guest in smash, they always expect the number 3. Sonic/Ryu/Cloud/Snake/Megaman/Pac-man/Simon and Richter all fit that third point, and when I hear rumor about a second Square-Enix Rep, I TOTALLY expect that third point to be respected with how hard they are to talk with.
That post had nothing to do with whether Geno was guaranteed or not. I think you're mixing things up.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Geno has been a thing since Melee speculation. Don't try and erase that. He's nowhere close to my wants list but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be in or that he's an outside pick.

That said, no one is a lock, so don't count your chickens.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Your insistence to say those that want Geno is a minority despite ****ing everyone talks my about Geno right now is confusing
They're talking about him because of potential leaks, not out of desire. See the amount of people who were talking about Ken despite not caring about him when that image leak happened.

Geno is liked by Sakurai, Geno is liked by the people who supported him in Brawl, he's not actually liked by the people who find him to be a lock just because of "oh Sakurai is going to give us everything people wanted from Brawl".

It's madness, he might be in, he might not be, but don't pretend he's a lock from just that so called "massive" support, that did Isaac and Shantae a lot of good didn't it.

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
"He's incredibly popular. Even though he's an older character, we keep getting loads of votes and requests for us to put him in the game"- Masahiro Sakurai regarding Geno 2016. But no guys, Geno isn't really a popular character, it's just a few nostalgia blinded fans and bandwaggoners.
That's just sakurai lying again due to his absolute bias, disgusting, when will we get the character people truly want, Shrek

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Is Sakurai saying K.Rool, Chrom and Dark Samus being highly requested not indicating ballot stuff?
It sure could be.
That's not the part I'm criticizing.

There's the implication that Geno is definitely not popular because the casual players who voted in the ballot definitely wouldn't have thought to vote for him instead of someone else more immediately popular.
With that comes the following assumptions.

• Casual players cared about the poll to vote.
  • Casual players made a significant portion of the poll results.
  • A significant portion of the casual player's responses involved K. Rool instead of someone more immediately popular at the time of the ballot.
When in reality, a significant portion of his supporters were probably his Smash following. Which would be the same case as Geno's following. Which either makes the "He's only popular in smash communities so his popularity is moot" point moot itself, or the large enough population of casual players are so into older Donkey Kong games that they spent all of their time talking about it offline where nobody can see conversation about it at all

Which is to say, we have no context on the ballot at all to make judgement on the results.

Oh and also,
don't pretend he's a lock
Like one person said that recently if that's what spurred this on

Last edited:

Beatrice

Smash Cadet
I don't know what it is, but Agumon guy's relentless Agumon support is kinda endearing to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom