• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
This was just one character we discussed though. We clearly agree with everything you said, and we liked each others' posts to prove that we do. Nobody was disagreeing with that idea. You're just ranting at the invisible man, bruh. :132:
Cool it's a forum that I can post my opinion on and the invisible man learned something hopefully.

In regards to the character specific discussion Wolverine has zero chance of beating Goku.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Cool it's a forum that I can post my opinion on and the invisible man learned something hopefully.

In regards to the character specific discussion Wolverine has zero chance of beating Goku.
What if he sneaks into Goku's bedroom and kills him while he sleeps? What if he pulls some timetravel BS and stops Goku from being born? What if he collects the infinity stones first and snaps Goku out of existance? Circumstances are everything.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about Dragon Ball and very little about Marvel.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Ok, here's where I step in.
Outside of personality, there is little that separates Daisy from Peach. She was created to be a palette swap and fill the same exact role Peach normally does, but in a different land.
And for the longest time, that's all she really was; a palette swap. And then they decided to spice up her personality just so there's at least something special about her. And she still carries out the same roles as Peach in all the games she's in, so it's still basically just she's a tomboy Peach.
Even Rosalina, who looks more like Peach (but from SPAAACE), is much less like Peach overall considering her powers and roles within the series.

Waluigi? He might be "Wa-ified" version of Luigi, but that doesn't make him a "Purple Wario" in the slightest. Right off the bat, he's made distinct from both Wario and Luigi in terms of personality, design, and other traits and characteristics. He never had that transition from being "the exact same as someone else" like Luigi and Daisy had.
Is he the most fleshed out character in the Mario franchise? No. But to claim he is or has ever been just a "Purple Wario" is sheer ignorance.
Okay, and here's where I step in.

Waluigi's sole purpose was to even out the roster and give Wario a partner. In a game built around partners in Tennis duos, Wario needed one. Mario had Luigi. Peach had Daisy. Wario? He got purple Wario. His change was that he was tall and lanky, just like how Daisy's change in Super Mario Land was that she was brunette. Waluigi served the same purpose Wario did-- greedy, shifty antagonist, but not Bowser antagonist-- and was placed there to be his number two because Wario had none.

After that initial concept, Waluigi has gained some personality changes to try and differentiate him from Wario, just as Daisy has gained some to be further separated from Peach. They're wholly different characters from the ones they were initially created to be directly linked to. But to act like Waluigi's alterations were somehow inherent in his character conception and Daisy's changes aren't comparable is nothing but a bias morphing itself into a perceived truth.

Daisy's tomboy Peach. Waluigi is slimfast Wario. Luigi is scared Mario. This isn't a negative; it's just what it is. We're all free to like what characters we like; don't try to justify who you like as somehow more special based on arbitrary measurements that fit your preconceived notion.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I just wanna see Daisy hit someone with a baseball bat, man.

That and run someone over with a motorcycle.

beans

Smash Lord
What is this about an ARG?
Are getting to TBoI levels of complicated stuff?
Do we need to call Mario's Dad on the phone and sing an instrumental of Underground theme?

NineS

Smash Lord
Okay, and here's where I step in.

Waluigi's sole purpose was to even out the roster and give Wario a partner. In a game built around partners in Tennis duos, Wario needed one. Mario had Luigi. Peach had Daisy. Wario? He got purple Wario. His change was that he was tall and lanky, just like how Daisy's change in Super Mario Land was that she was brunette. Waluigi served the same purpose Wario did-- greedy, shifty antagonist, but not Bowser antagonist-- and was placed there to be his number two because Wario had none.

After that initial concept, Waluigi has gained some personality changes to try and differentiate him from Wario, just as Daisy has gained some to be further separated from Peach. They're wholly different characters from the ones they were initially created to be directly linked to. But to act like Waluigi's alterations were somehow inherent in his character conception and Daisy's changes aren't comparable is nothing but a bias morphing itself into a perceived truth.

Daisy's tomboy Peach. Waluigi is slimfast Wario. Luigi is scared Mario. This isn't a negative; it's just what it is. We're all free to like what characters we like; don't try to justify who you like as somehow more special based on arbitrary measurements that fit your preconceived notion.
Correction: Daisy's Tomboy Princess Mario, Peach is Princess Mario, Waluigi is purple Mario, Wario is yellow Mario, Luigi is green Mario, and Toad is Mushroom Mario.

Bowser? He's just anti-Mario.

Jokes aside, I completely agree with everything you just said even though I don't know what this debate was.

Last edited:

Meritocracy

Smash Apprentice
In general I try to stay positive when it comes to smash ultimate, given the amount of love and work and effort the smash team is putting into it, but now I'll reverse the roles and take the place of the critic
This brings me to my biggest problem with ultimate and smash in general, which is there nerfing habits.
With every new title, comes balance changes. And, every time, the charecters in every game are last title high tiers. Why? High tiers are mI'd tiers, with one or two things exceptionally broken. Ex. Sonic and spin dash. This way, the community complains the heck out of those single aspects, (though framed in that light it's a community issue but whoo that's not a discussion I want to have), and the developers, wishing to show the community their voices were heard, nerd those parts to pieces. This makes them completely unviable, once again Ex. Sonic, and forces the community that has already squeezed all they can out of there high-tier main in efforts to compete with top tiers to migrate or stop placing as well in tourney. However, the top tiers then become high-tier, and the cycle starts al over again. And, to top it off, it's not buffed low/mid/bottom tiers that replace high tiers, it's usually newcomers, newer is better meta, where you get you two or three games in the spotlight, then your done.
I obviously made a lot of generalizations, for instance fox is an exception to almost everything I said, but that dosen't really invalidate my points.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Real talk, I'm starting to dislike how Goku just blazes his way through this stuff. Become a god? Got it. Become a super god? Done. Learn the state of being that gods of destruction rarely achieve? You got it. Master it within about ten minutes? Yahtzee. Learn the ****ing eliminator move supposedly only known by gods of destruction? Pft. No prob, bob.

It's like this whole deity hierarchy serves no purpose. Soon he'll be challenging Whis and winning.
Well, in Goku's defense, his version was infinitely slower than the hakai of an actual God of Destruction, to the point that the target of his hakai was actually able to counterattack him before he was completely destroyed. Whereas when Beerus did it on the same person (in an alternate timeline), he was destroyed almost immediately.

Mr. Trumo

Smash Apprentice
Guess I'll join the "How Hyped Were You" trend.

:ultinkling:
Yeeeesssss!!!! So happy they were in. I still remember making a random "Inklings for Smash" doodle in one of my school notebooks before the Smash 4 final presentation. I really wanted to see them in and now my wish came true!
Hype Level: 8/10

:ultdaisy:
That's alright. I've never really cared if she got in or not. I definitely have seen people peeved about Rosalina in Smash and not Daisy, so it's nice to see that justified. Plus, I'm a big Mario guy, so the more the merrier!
Hype Level: 4/10

:ultridley:
Quote from me to me to my friend upon hearing that he wants Ridley in the game: "Nah, man. He's too big!" Welp, guess I'm wrong. I'm really, really happy to see him finally added to the roster. I've never played Metroid myself, but I know how much people wanted him, no matter how big.
Hype Level: 7/10

:ultsimon:
Cool.
Hype Level: 3/10

:ultrichter:
What!? Where did he come from!? Cool to finally see a third-party series have two reps.
Hype Level: 3/10

:ultchrom:
Oh. More Fire Emblem. Though, to be fair, its nice to see his fans happy. Plus, I main Roy, so maybe I'll try him out.

:ultdarksamus:
Niiiiiice! Metroid gets even more love! Plus, more Assist Trophy promotions!
Hype Level: 6/10

:ultkrool:
YEAAAAHHHH!!! Heck YES!!! My most wanted character. I didn't think it was possible, but he's finally back! Now we have three DK reps! My brother and I were watching the direct together and when they showed the characters fighting their rivals, I said "THEY JUST SHOWED ALL THE VILLAINS." It showed DK and Diddy and I said to him "If this is King K. Rool, I'm going to FREAK OUT." Part of me was hoping it wasn't Tropical Freeze's villain (Idk. Part of me thought Nintendo would add him considering they rereleased TF recently). Needless to say, I'm still trying to come to terms with the fact that he is finally in the game! He's going to be my new main, too! Woo!
Hype Level: 10/10!

:ultisabelle:
At first, I wasn't too happy about her inclusion, but now, I really don't mind her. Welcome to the roster!

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
What if he sneaks into Goku's bedroom and kills him while he sleeps? What if he pulls some timetravel BS and stops Goku from being born? What if he collects the infinity stones first and snaps Goku out of existance? Circumstances are everything.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about Dragon Ball and very little about Marvel.
Good points all around.. though I feel like killing him while he sleeps would be tough still.

NineS

Smash Lord
The "ARG" probably has nothing to do with Smash at all honestly.
I just wanna see Daisy hit someone with a baseball bat, man.

That and run someone over with a motorcycle.

What did I just log in to?
What's this about an ARG?
Why are we talking about Daisy again...? Is this related to Waluigi?

And what's up with the fever dream death battles? This is the kind of stuff I'd only expect to see in really weird starter crossover fan-fictions...

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
What did I just log in to?
What's this about an ARG?
Why are we talking about Daisy again...? Is this related to Waluigi?

And what's up with the fever dream death battles? This is the kind of stuff I'd only expect to see in really weird starter crossover fan-fictions...
I stumbled into it as well and decided to dive in after reading one page back, it's a great time!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So converting: 24020425211121150801020113211908012001030809
into letters: XBDYUKUOHABAMUSHATACHI

I ran this through a Caesar Cypher decoder through all values of N and none of the results really made sense.

Here is a link to the tool I use:
http://rumkin.com/tools/cipher/caesar.php
Someone earlier said the characters after XBD translate to, from Japanese, “There is no such home”

XBD is theorized to be Xenoblade

Xenoblade X’s plot opens with Earth being destroyed, hence, “there is no such home”

...pls be a hint at my gurl

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
This “code” from Cruchii is really just jibberish at this point.

And even if there’s is something, how many do you want to bet that it’s going to be Ken/Incineroar/Geno/Shadow/Steve for the nth time.

I really don’t see any merit in either case unless there seems to be a different set of characters this time.

LetterO

Smash Lord
There's a how hyped you were game? Alright, I'll join in.

:ultinkling: VERY hyped. My most wanted from Smash 4. 10/10

:ultdaisy: Don't care at all. I find Daisy annoying tbh 0/10

:ultridley: Yes, very hyped! I loved Ridley in the games and seeing him actually show up when I assumed he had little chance was a great surprise. 9/10

:ultsimon: Cool. I didn't ask for him but he looks great. 7/10

:ultrichter: Same as above. Looks to be fun. 7/10

:ultdarksamus: Great, but being an echo instead of unique is really disappointing. 7/10

:ultchrom: Don't care. I liked Awakening but didn't care about Chrom himself too much. 4/10

:ultkrool: YES! This hyped me up alot! I've really wanted K. Rool and actually seeing him make it in is great. Love his moveset. 10/10

:ultisabelle: Never cared about her Smash chances, but she does look to have a fun moveset. Still pretty peeved that she gets to be unique and Dark Samus and Dark Pit don't. 5/10

CrunchyCHEEZIT

Smash Journeyman
uhhh, i'll disrupt the conversation for a hot minute with my hype-o-meter

:ultinkling: - Was pretty much a lock for the next Smash game, but the way they announced her was obviously GOAT. That being said, I don't care much for the character itself

:ultdaisy: - Really neat, but I don't care much for Peach.

:ultridley: - HOLY ****. I didn't even want Ridley, but I laughed at all the 2big memes. To see him actually make it in made me hype for the future above anything else.

:ultsimon: - WHEW. Simon was actually one of my predictions and wants, and he looks awesome. His trailer was kino - Castlevania deserved attention in Smash and it got it.

:ultrichter: - WHEW x2. This was a double-whammy for a lot of my friends, and I was just shocked that they included two Castlevania characters, even if I don't know much about Richter, but he already looked cooler to me than Simon. I haven't played Rondo of Blood, but now I'm dedicated to dig deeper into the series because I'm probably gonna be playing this guy more than Simon.

:ultchrom: - ugh

:ultdarksamus: - I dunno **** about **** when it comes to Metroid, but Dark Samus looks cool in Ultimate. Will probably learn more about it.

:ultkrool: - HOLY ****. King K. Rool was, ironically, a bigger meme than Ridley. I have no heart in DKC but just seeing the raw reactions and ****posting swarm threads across /v/ as his reveal was going on was cathartic, and he looks really fun to boot. He and Ridley are the biggest success stories of the year. Never Say Too Big.

:ultisabelle: - Don't really care.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Okay I'll entertain....for a second.

If it's an Elma clue who I've all but given up on.

Never played her game.

Still want her.

There. I entertained this insanity.

Ya'll fools. Keyboard Smash. Ra ra ra.

There. Back to normal.

Last edited:

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
How I reacted to the Various newcomers.

:ultinkling: Awesome, I liked Splatoon 1 and 2, and the Inklings seem like they would have a pretty unique way to play in Smash Bros. Also, their reveal was also a reveal, for Ultimate. 8/10.

:ultdaisy: Weird that she is her own character, but once I understood what echoes were she made sense to me. 5/10

:ultridley:In my opinion the most deserved addition out of all the newcomers, the brutal pirate lord and Cunning God of Death. 10/10

:ultsimon: I thought it was cool, and seeing Luigi die in a cinematic was pretty funny, but since I am not a Castlevania fan, I did not get really excited. 7/10

:ultrichter: Who? Oh, that guy who says the Die monster line? Neat. 5/10

:ultchrom:He got his chance another day. Give or take a couple years. Was confused when I found out he is a Roy echo with Ikes Up Special. 7/10

:ultdarksamus:Excitement with a small trace of regret that she(it) could not be a unique fighter with weird phazon tentacles and crazy duplication mechanics. 8/10

:ultkrool:I know I lot of people see something in this character, but I do not. I'm glad they have someone to be excited about, but this was pretty underwhelming for me. 1/10

:ultisabelle: Did not expect, was pleasantly surprised. Then I found out she is not an echo, nice. 8/10

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Sooo whats "ARG"? i saw crunchii posted some weird numbers and deleted them but I'm unsure what ARG is referring to.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Spirit you say?

Spirits Mode. The final boss of that mode is XBDYUKUOHABAMUSHATACHI.
[XBD] Yukuo is the final boss, a fictional E-Sports player who happens to haba pretty great mushatachi and doesn't afraid of anything.

I'm gonna keep saying it until my body wants to laugh again.

Last edited:

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
They found where the Geno image's background is from.

It's from Delfino Plaza.
With this revelation, I decided a comparison is in order. Here's the supposedly leaked Geno image:

Ult_Geno.jpeg

Here's Smash Ultimate's Delfino Plaza skyline:

Delfino_Sky_Color.png

And here's the Smash 4 skyline with Mii Geno as comparison:

Mii_Geno.jpeg

The sky color of the supposed leaked Geno image seems to be consistent with Smash Ultimate's color for Delfino Plaza's sky, which would explain why it looks different from the Smash 4 comparison.

...This isn't conclusive, but it's pretty big.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I got bored of my spoopy Guzzlord avatar already so I'll be sticking with this ****post I made from a while back for a bit. It best communicates that I'm an Pokemon and an FE guy as well, rather then just one. Just so you guys know.

Axe lizard for Smash. Maybe one day I'll go deeper and equip axes to his feet somehow.

Phobos_Anomaly

Smash Cadet
[XBD] Yukuo is the final boss, a fictional E-Sports player who happens to haba pretty great mushatachi and doesn't afraid of anything.

I'm gonna keep saying it until my body wants to laugh again.
Wait a sec maybe we just have to decipher the word scramble.

All I get from XBDYUKUOHABAMUSHATACHI though is "XBOX HAS HAM BUSH"

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Just got home how we dong gang?

With this revelation, I decided a comparison is in order. Here's the supposedly leaked Geno image:

View attachment 170592

Here's Smash Ultimate's Delfino Plaza skyline:

View attachment 170594

And here's the Smash 4 skyline with Mii Geno as comparison:

View attachment 170595

The sky color of the supposed leaked Geno image seems to be consistent withe Smash Ultimate's color for Delfino Plaza's sky, which would explain why it looks different from the Smash 4 comparison.

...This isn't conclusive, but it's pretty big.
...hmmm

This is interesting. Not "pretty big" but...interesting. Great comparison.

NineS

Smash Lord
Sooo whats "ARG"? i saw crunchii posted some weird numbers and deleted them but I'm unsure what ARG is referring to.
To my knowledge, it isn't the "ARG", but an ARG.
An Alternate Reality Game. Usually, hiding secrets that to unlock, you have to do some deep digging, either decoding or deciphering messages in weird ciphers, etc. It's a game that uses the real world to tell a story, essentially, and is difficult to "play".

One of the best examples I'm sure you're unfamiliar with would be the Sombra ARG Blizzard did for one of their games a while back.
My guess is that whatever ARG this is about has some sort of info on Smash.

but I myself would like to know what ARG we're talking about here.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Eh, basically when someone or a company decides to put cryptic hints around places or allows you to participate in the "lore" in some way leading up to some reveal of some sort

Overwatch did a really stretched out one with Sombra where people would "help her with hacking things" or any number of activities along those lines
I took part in it haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom