• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I agree with you halfway. Expecting Goku to be in Smash is really stupid.

However, anyone can still want Goku in Smash. You can't call people idiots for wanting a character you don't want.
So does that mean they're allowed to want Shrek, Spongebob, Batman and such then?

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Wouldn't be cool to have a Super Smash Bros Ultimate kind of game but with Ads mascot, I think I'll choose as main ever Mr Clean or Quicky.
Wasnt that the plot of that one movie? Ya'll know which one I'm talking about. And those who don't. I ENVY YOU!!

D

Deleted member

Speaking of surprise characters, will we ever beat the pure shock factor of Snake getting in? I mean, yeah, someone like Goku would cause much more of a meltdown - especially so as social media is so much bigger than it was during Brawl. But the mere fact that people talk and speculate about characters like Goku lessens their surprise factor slightly. Because of Snake and Cloud, the genie's out the bottle in terms of speculation.

I'm too young to know much about pre-Brawl speculation, but surely, surely nobody was guessing that our first third-party rep would be Solid ****ing Snake, right?
And neither Sonic.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Capcom has more a presedence set for crossing over fighting games, Nintendo only really has smash. It'd be Capcom for sure, besides who wouldnt wanna see Ryu vs Goku.
Don't know about you but Mario vs. Goku would seem more hype. Most iconic video game character vs. Most iconic manga/anime character.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Wouldn't be cool to have a Super Smash Bros Ultimate kind of game but with Ads mascot, I think I'll choose as main ever Mr Clean or Quicky.
Any game that can have me beat up the GEICO Gecko with the Kool-Aid Man will always be a plus for me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So does that mean they're allowed to want Shrek, Spongebob, Batman and such then?
Yes, and there is nothing wrong with that. Heck, I'd take pony stuff in Smash if it were possible.

Having preferences and opinions =/= being stupid. It's fine to dislike a fictional character, but can we please not insult actual people?

Last edited by a moderator:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Don't know about you but Mario vs. Goku would seem more hype. Most iconic video game character vs. Most iconic manga/anime character.
I dunno the rest of the DBZ Fanbase doesn't seem to be that into Nintendo outside of memeing goku into smash. Any time i bring up lets add Mario to Xenoverse 2 or FighterZ i get yeeted from whatever it is I'm posting to.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Huh, well I might as well share my reactions.
I'll only be doing Ultimate newcomers because it's the first time i've followed a Smash game's release.

:ultinkling: I was freaking out. Sure they were expected, but I didn't expect a Smash game to come out this year.
I still remember thinking "what is this, Splatoon 3ds?" and then the Smash ball appeared in her eye.
I was giddy the rest of the night. I still get giddy thinking about it.
Hype=10/10

:ultdaisy: It was more hilarious than hype for me, but i'm still glad Daisy's here.
Hype=HI IM DAISY/10

:ultridley:I was never on the Ridley bandwagon. I like him now, but I really didn't care before. My excitement was more focused on the fact that Sakurai actually went and did it than the character himself.
Hype=SAKURAI YOU MADMAN/10

:ultsimon: Literally didn't care. The fact that we already knew sucked the fun out of it. (cool trailer though)
Hype=1.5/10

:ultrichter: I was confused because I had no idea who he was. Then I found out and stopped caring.
Hype=Literally who/10

:ultchrom: I'm happy he's here. That's it.
Hype=5/10

:ultdarksamus: She looks cool. That's it.
Hype=5/10

:ultkrool:I was more laughing than hype, that trailer was hilarious. Like Ridley, I like K Rool now that i've had time to warm up to him. I really didn't care before.
Hype=6/10

:ultisabelle: I was excited for the character herself, but the trailer wasn't exactly exciting. I'm glad she's in though, and a new Animal Crossing is coming.!
Hype=8.5/10
They revealed Inkling in literally the best way possible, fans of the character got hype about it, especially because of how unexpected the timing was, while people who thought they were the most obvious or boring pick still got insanely hype because a new Smash was announced.

D

Deleted member

But yeah, now that i have K.Rool, Dark Samus and Ridley, i can main characters that are decent gameplay-wise and also liked a lot by me.

I'm not forced to play as characters that i don't like anymore.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
And neither Sonic.
Sonic was a massive deal too - but as a third-party rep in a Nintendo game, his inclusion at least made more sense. Snake broke the first-party rep precedent, and was a really surprising choice as the precedent-breaker.

Noipoi

Howdy!
They revealed Inkling in literally the best way possible, fans of the character got hype about it, especially because of how unexpected the timing was, while people who thought they were the most obvious or boring pick still got insanely hype because a new Smash was announced.
And for those of us who love the Inklings and didn't expect a new Smash game yet it was a double whammy.

SonicMario

Smash Master
And neither Sonic.
To be fair, as soon as Snake was announced. Sonic immediately jumped into one of, if not THE most wanted character for Smash at the time.

When he was revealed the internet still exploded, and for good reason. Just he was always THE one 3rd party character people expected most anyway.

The internet just exploded out of hype rather then it being a huge shock. From that point of view, both Snake and Cloud arguably had a more wide variety of reactions then Sonic did.

D

Deleted member

To be fair, as soon as Snake was announced. Sonic immediately jumped into one of, if not THE most wanted character for Smash at the time.

When he was revealed the internet still exploded, and for good reason. Just he was always THE one 3rd party character people expected most anyway.

The internet just exploded out of hype rather then it being a huge shock. From that point of view, both Snake and Cloud arguably had a more wide variety of reactions then Sonic did.
That's true.

Penroze

The Surreal Deal
Switch FC
SW-7239-4479-0495
Huh, well I might as well share my reactions.
I'll only be doing Ultimate newcomers because it's the first time i've followed a Smash game's release.

:ultinkling: I was freaking out. Sure they were expected, but I didn't expect a Smash game to come out this year.
I still remember thinking "what is this, Splatoon 3ds?" and then the Smash ball appeared in her eye.
I was giddy the rest of the night. I still get giddy thinking about it.
Hype=10/10

:ultdaisy: It was more hilarious than hype for me, but i'm still glad Daisy's here.
Hype=HI IM DAISY/10

:ultridley:I was never on the Ridley bandwagon. I like him now, but I really didn't care before. My excitement was more focused on the fact that Sakurai actually went and did it than the character himself.
Hype=SAKURAI YOU MADMAN/10

:ultsimon: Literally didn't care. The fact that we already knew sucked the fun out of it. (cool trailer though)
Hype=1.5/10

:ultrichter: I was confused because I had no idea who he was. Then I found out and stopped caring.
Hype=Literally who/10

:ultchrom: I'm happy he's here. That's it.
Hype=5/10

:ultdarksamus: She looks cool. That's it.
Hype=5/10

:ultkrool:I was more laughing than hype, that trailer was hilarious. Like Ridley, I like K Rool now that i've had time to warm up to him. I really didn't care before.
Hype=6/10

:ultisabelle: I was excited for the character herself, but the trailer wasn't exactly exciting. I'm glad she's in though, and a new Animal Crossing is coming.!
Hyp:ultdarksamus:e=8.5/10
:ultinkling: Personally not a Splatoon fan at all, but they look pretty fun. Might play them occasionally.
Hype: 6/10

:ultdaisy: Pretty cool! I always liked Daisy better than Peach. But the fact that she's only an echo makes me a little less hype. Not that it's a bad thing that she's an echo, that was the perfect choice in my opinion, but there's not much to be excited for then.
Hype: 4/10

:ultridley: Okay
Hype: Okay/10

:ultsimon: OH YEAH MAN I'M NOT EVEN A CASTLEVANIA GUY BUT I WANNA LEARN HIM YEAH WOO MMM
Hype: 8/10

:ultrichter: even BETTER?!!
Hype: 9/10

:ultchrom: I don't care
Hype: -1/10

:ultdarksamus: Oh nice. Might play her instead of regular Samus.
Hype: 5/10

:ultkrool: Wasn't really rooting for K Rool, but he looks intriguing, and I'm happy for the people who wanted him too.
Hype: 7/10

:ultisabelle: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Hype: 27,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000/10

Penroze

The Surreal Deal
Switch FC
SW-7239-4479-0495
You can desire a character all you want, it doesn't make them any more likely for Smash. Were it that easy...
Haha what? Everyone knows that if you keep silently hoping to yourself that a character will get in, Sakurai will read our minds and desires and put them in!

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Just think of all the cool rivalries Nintendo vs. Shonen Jump could have.

Isaac (Golden Sun) vs. Gaara (Naruto) - Earth based fighters
King K. Rool (Donkey Kong) vs. Blackbeard (One Piece) - Evil pirates
Mario (Super Mario Bros.) vs. Goku (Dragon Ball) - Mascots
Medusa (Kid Icarus) vs. Orochimaru (Naruto) - Serpentine antagonists
Meta Knight (Kirby) vs. Kenpachi (Bleach) - Honorable rivals
Palutena (Kid Icarus) vs. Saori Kido (Saint Seiya) - Mentors of divine champions
Pikachu (Pokemon) vs. Killua (HunterxHunter) - Electric based fighters
Pit (Kid Icarus) vs. Pegasus Seiya (Saint Seiya) - Gods chosen champions
Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle) vs. Kenshin Himura (Rurouni Kenshin) - Samurais

It just makes me want such a game even more. :grin:

Last edited:

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
Frankly more than my previous idea I would love is having a game where each fighting game that I quote bellow are in the same game

So we will have:

• Street Fighter
  • The King of Fighters
  • Rival School
  • Tekken
  • Dead or Alive
  • Virtua Fighter
  • Mortal Kombat
  • Bloody Roar
  • SoulCalibur
  • Killer Instinct
Imagine all of them in the same fighting game. With of course a balance of each games. :love:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I don't care what anyone says, the most surprising newcomer to me will always be :ultdaisy:. Not in a million years did I think she would've gotten in, but echo fighters were her ticket to fame. When I was watching E3 with my friends we were joking about you-know-who and looking at his :ultdaisy: related tweets, only to be proven that we were wrong and Daisy was in fact a lock for Ultimate.

On terms of the rest of the newcomer, it probably goes like this (more surprising to least surprising)
:ultrichter:-Borderline Literally Who for me, so that explains that.
:ultridley:-He was never on my top 10, but I still wanted to see him and right as I saw the first shot of his trailer I knew it was him, and I freaked the hell out
:ultsimon:-He had his support, but I was still a little surprised that he got included when the leaks started making the rounds.
:ultdarksamus: and :ultchrom:- "You may have seen them coming"- The horses mouth, 8 August 2018.
:ultkrool:-Yeah im biased, I saw him as a shoo-in. Still so damn happy to see him in.
:ultisabelle:-I was surprised that she made it as her own fighter, but I did anticipate her in some playable fashion
:ultinkling:-lol

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Frankly more than my previous idea I would love is having a game where each fighting game that I quote bellow are in the same game

So we will have:

• Street Fighter
  • The King of Fighters
  • Rival School
  • Tekken
  • Dead or Alive
  • Virtua Fighter
  • Mortal Kombat
  • Bloody Roar
  • SoulCalibur
  • Killer Instinct
Imagine all of them in the same fighting game. With of course a balance of each games. :love:
Killer Instinct alone would make it Xbox exclusive, tbh.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Haha what? Everyone knows that if you keep silently hoping to yourself that a character will get in, Sakurai will read our minds and desires and put them in!
I think it's better for everyone that the video game characters I'm secretly hoping for don't get in. :b:

D

Deleted member

Meme Run and Bigley's Revenge were exclusive Wii U titles.

Just think about that.

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774

Palutena (Kid Icarus) vs. Saori Kido (Saint Seiya) - Mentors of divine champions
Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle) vs. Kenshin Himura (Rurouni Kenshin) - Samurais

And don't forget our dear Dark Schneider (my avatar) who will rofl stomp them all lol

Killer Instinct alone would make it Xbox exclusive, tbh.
Maybe anything can happen in the future with enough money lol

osby

Smash Obsessed
Never was a Smash fan till Brawl came out, so my hype reveals come from Smash 4, Onward

Smash 4
:ultgreninja: I remember like 4 months prior to the direct getting Pokemon X for Christmas and choosing Froakie as my starter just because he was the cutest of the bunch... Little did I know, that watching the April Smash Direct would reveal to me that my little frog boi, all grown up would be getting in Smash... Let's just say he was easily the most hype addition to Smash for me so far,
:ultmiifighters: Miis, getting in got me pretty excited because I just wanted an custom character aspect.
:ultpacman:PAC-MAN was easily, my most wanted third party character for Smash 4. I remeber accidentley leaving the smash website on my computer all night, only to refresh it and notice that PAC-MAN was added. I Freaked out quite a lot...
:ultduckhunt:I remember when the leaks happened and Duck Hunt was part of it, I nearly freaked out. Deep cut picks are always a ton fun. It didn't help that they were adorable...
:ultcloud:I remember watching the direct live and seeing the words "Final Fantasy VII" pop up on the screen and then just being shocked that Cloud was getting in. I'm not really a FF fan, but the aspect of a character with more ties to PlayStation getting in, was pretty exciting...

Ultimate
:ultinkling: I knew they were coming, but I'm pretty sure it was how they, along with Ultimate were announced
:ultsimon:I knew he was coming, thanks to verg, but doesn't stop him form looking like a super fun character.
:ultrichter: I love "No one saw it coming" reveals, and Richter was easily the most notable example of this, also, having the guy who said the classic "You don't belong in this world" in smash is definitely a plus.
:ultisabelle: I liked Villager a lot in Smash 4, so having a new play style that's still similar in a sense, got me pretty excited.
Smash For:

:ultwiifittrainer: Laugh at me if you want, but I was doing yoga around the time due reasons and her trailer was hilarious. Actually was more interested in her than the other two.

:ultrobin "I wish we could get a cool mage with a book instead of just a swordfighter..." Little did I know.

:ultpalutena: One of my most wanted and multiple powers were great.

:ultbayonetta: I saw her once before and was like "nah, she's too cool for Smash" Again, her reveal was both suprising and fun.

Honourable mentions: :ultmegaman::ultvillager::ultshulk::ultduckhunt::ultryu:

Ultimate:

:ultrichter: Mostly because suprise. Warmed up to him quickly.

:ultisabelle: I was afraid she might not make it in and her solo reveal was super cute. Easily most hype reveal in Ultimate for me.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord

I can make that for Capcom too:

Dragonball vs Street Fighter
Death Note vs Darkstalkers
Naruto vs Strider
Ruroni Kenshin vs Sengoku Basara
Saint Seiya vs Mega Man Legends
My Hero Academia vs Captain Commando
Yu Yu Hakusho vs Resident Evil
Bleach vs Onimusha
Yugioh vs Ace Attorney

and so on.