• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Chrom at least can be a bit of a dork, so he's likable if not just because his supports are entertaining to read. That could just be 8-4's magic touch, but he's definitely one of the better FE lords in my opinion. If anything is bland it's Awakening's story, not its protagonists.

A lot of lords tend to lean a bit towards the "stu" side but rarely quite get there. I'd say Corrin is the only one who does, and even though I haven't played FE12 word of mouth tells me Kris is one to. Some guys like Ephraim push it from time to time but put them next to Corrin with all that player-pandering and suddenly he doesn't seem so bad.
Alm's nearly up there with Corrin as well; when a character is being called "special" as a 10 year old in the game's prologue, you know what to expect. He has no character flaws (compared to the only notable trait of his in Gaiden being aggressiveness, something that IS themselves ran with in latter depictions), upstages everyone else in the plot (also doesn't help that Celica is completely irrelevant overall), has a character whose main driving force is hating him (Berkut)... SoV in general is poorly written and barely better than Fates in that department, while having far worse gameplay.

I give these opinions ExpectedInHindsight/10

If you were seriously expecting Ridley and K. Rool, then you were just astronomically lucky to expect the right characters, as pretty much nobody thought they were likely before the game was revelaed. Sakurai literally said Ridley wouldn't happen, why did you expect him?
The guy who leaked MVCI's entire roster and multiple Resetera mods were teasing Ridley right before the March direct, even; expecting him was simply a matter of keeping your ear to the ground. And after Ridley, K. Rool was a fairly safe assumption.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Huh, well I might as well share my reactions.
I'll only be doing Ultimate newcomers because it's the first time i've followed a Smash game's release.

:ultinkling: I was freaking out. Sure they were expected, but I didn't expect a Smash game to come out this year.
I still remember thinking "what is this, Splatoon 3ds?" and then the Smash ball appeared in her eye.
I was giddy the rest of the night. I still get giddy thinking about it.
Hype=10/10

:ultdaisy: It was more hilarious than hype for me, but i'm still glad Daisy's here.
Hype=HI IM DAISY/10

:ultridley:I was never on the Ridley bandwagon. I like him now, but I really didn't care before. My excitement was more focused on the fact that Sakurai actually went and did it than the character himself.
Hype=SAKURAI YOU MADMAN/10

:ultsimon: Literally didn't care. The fact that we already knew sucked the fun out of it. (cool trailer though)
Hype=1.5/10

:ultrichter: I was confused because I had no idea who he was. Then I found out and stopped caring.
Hype=Literally who/10

:ultchrom: I'm happy he's here. That's it.
Hype=5/10

:ultdarksamus: She looks cool. That's it.
Hype=5/10

:ultkrool:I was more laughing than hype, that trailer was hilarious. Like Ridley, I like K Rool now that i've had time to warm up to him. I really didn't care before.
Hype=6/10

:ultisabelle: I was excited for the character herself, but the trailer wasn't exactly exciting. I'm glad she's in though, and a new Animal Crossing is coming.!
Hype=8.5/10
I'll give my reactions as well, despite my initial reservations given my experience with the characters (or more aptly, lack of experience as I haven't played a game with a unique character). Just know that despite my reservations, I'm glad for the fans their characters got in.

:ultinkling: Expected, but was more hyped for the game itself than Inklings. It's a cool gimmick, but haven't been sold on them. 3.5/10
:ultdaisy: Nice representative of echoes, as she fits Peach nicely, though I never liked playing as Peach so I don't think that'll change. 2.5/10
:ultridley: Only knew of Ridley thanks to Gamexplain--perfect character for Ultimate, but never played Metroid and not a fan of big characters. 3/10
:ultsimon: Knew about the series, less so of Simon. Was neat seeing what version would be in Ultimate, like the whip, but more excited for the stage. 4/10
:ultrichter: Similarly with Simon, but I kind of like his look more, probably gave me false hope there'd be more characters--still, prefer Simon. 3.9/10
:ultchrom: A "Who?" character if I wasn't lurking in Smash discussion, not a fan of the look, but I'm more apathetic of echoes. 2/10
:ultdarksamus: Was worried about Dark Samus, as next to Samus on the CSS it looks awkward, dont have any attachment to the character. 1.5/10
:ultkrool: Same with Ridley, a character I vaguely heard about, I like some of his moves, and his trailer gave me good Rare vibes. 5/10
:ultisabelle: Was hoping she'd be an echo, but instead Villager 2.0 with all new animations--cute, but not what I personally look for in a Smash character. 1/10

It sounds bad when I talk about newcomers directly, but that's just because, as of right now, I'm more excited for the returning characters (:ultpokemontrainer:) than the newbies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I give these opinions ExpectedInHindsight/10

If you were seriously expecting Ridley and K. Rool, then you were just astronomically lucky to expect the right characters, as pretty much nobody thought they were likely before the game was revelaed. Sakurai literally said Ridley wouldn't happen, why did you expect him?
Um, because their fans would crucify Sakurai otherwise?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
....y e s

Man I kinda wonder what beef the Chrom family has with Ridley and Damus specifically

EDIT: The other way around, even.
They just hate dragons...Dark Samus was just unlucky to be with one

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
:ultchrom: - 1,000,000/10. Best Lord is finally here. Who's an NPC now, Viridi?

:ultisabelle: - 10/10 Look at the pupper with her fishing pole.

:ultsimon: - 10/10 They used the OG look.

:ultkrool: - 10/10 Look at the glorious fat jerk. Blast-o-Matic, son.

:ultinkling: - 8/10 The extra damage mechanic really made them grow on me.

:ultrichter: - 8/10 Hell yeah, Belmonts vs Marth and his descendants.

:ultridley: - 8/10 Ayyy it's the big boy.

:ultdarksamus: - 4/10 Lost her luster when I found out the roll difference is only aesthetic. Love the chitin though.

:ultdaisy: - 3/10 A certain someone kinda ruined her a bit for me, but otherwise just meh. Can't complain about echoes, you know?

D

Deleted member

:ultinkling:: it was expected but cool (7/10)
:ultridley:: when he was revealed, i was still upset about Samus having the Other M look, but then i realized that he made up for that (10/10)

:ultsimon::ultrichter:: They totally deserved to be in Smash. The trailer was fantastic and captured the feeling of the franchise (10/10)

:ultchrom:: Meh, but i was happy for the people who wanted him (6/10)

:ultdarksamus:: I got excited and hyped when i saw another Metroid rep and villain. Literally screamed "Holy ****!" (10/10)

:ultkrool:: Finally, he is my first videogame villain besides Bowser, so i was happy and proud of seeing him again after a long time (10/10)

:ultisabelle:: The trailer was alright, but the character is nice, and deserved to be in the game (8/10).

:ultdaisy:: revealed at the worst time possible for me. I was fearing that Nintendo would indeed skip Prime 4 on the E3, and i was still upset about Other M Samus. I don't like the character much to make matters worse (5/10)

Last edited by a moderator:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yeah Fire Emblem, if you could just lay off the "special chosen one" juice that'd be great.

Not everyone needs to be Ike the hobo, but seriously? :ultcorrin:Prince of two warring nations AND dragon blood?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yeah Fire Emblem, if you could just lay off the "special chosen one" juice that'd be great.

Not everyone needs to be Ike the hobo, but seriously? :ultcorrin:Prince of two warring nations AND dragon blood?
I know there are a lot of people who genuinely like Corrin as a character but I mostly enjoy them as "half-dragon with a burning chainsaw sword and wacky family" without analyzing their character too much.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
The guy who leaked MVCI's entire roster and multiple Resetera mods were teasing Ridley right before the March direct, even; expecting him was simply a matter of keeping your ear to the ground. And after Ridley, K. Rool was a fairly safe assumption.
I chose to go into disbelief over Vergeben at the time, as Sakurai's multiple statements had killed most of my hopes for Ridley. I doubt I was the only one. And K. Rool hadn't shown his face in a decade, people were very concerned Nintendo had all but forgotten about him.

D

Deleted member

Don't worry, I still like squids!

they're absolutely delicious when fried and battered to perfection

You tryin' to start somethin'? Them's fightin' words...

Reactions to newcomers? That's easy!

:ultinkling: - My hypest newcomer. I knew within seconds that trailer was Smash, and was dumbfounded. I supported them so much during Smash 4, so I don't care if they were expected: These squid kids were my #1 most wanted and I lost my mind when I saw 'em get in, especially because I voted for them on the ballot. The trailer still gives me chills...

Blessed WOOMY/10.

:ultdaisy: - HI I'M DAISY.

DAISY/DAISY

:ultridley: - Really happy this happened, I've been asking for more Metroid love in this franchise since it got shafted in Smash 4. Verge's leak kinds softened the impact it had on me, though...

7/10

:ultsimon: - I went from hating the idea to liking him thanks to a cool moveset and trying to be more open minded about it. His trailer was cool, but honestly, he still isn't that big of a deal to me.

5/10

:ultrichter: - See Simon.

:ultchrom: - Look, I like Chrom, so that isn't the issue here. The issue is that there are now 4 Marths. That's kind of insane, so uh...I'm sorry, but no thanks.

2/10

:ultdarksamus: - I lost it, lol. Metroid Prime 2 is my most favorite Metroid game, so to get DS on top of all the Metroid love Ultimate has already given us? Heck yes.

10/10

:ultkrool:- The support from Smash 4 and playing DK 64 made me fall in love with this guy. Plus, his trailer was hilarious, and gave us one of the best Dedede memes ever made.

9/10

:ultisabelle: - I was screaming during the whole trailer, lol. I honestly loved the way her trailer was handled: It was so perfect for an Animal Crossing character! And that dual announcement at the end with AC Switch...MMMMM Nintendo knows how to get to me, ha ha.

10/10

Penroze

The Surreal Deal
Switch FC
SW-7239-4479-0495
Oh, oops... lol.
I come from the dimension where characters like Ayumi and Takamaru made it to Melee, and Villager, PAC-MAN, and Miis made it to Brawl...
It was very exciting to see Villager and PAC-MAN team up to find Tabuu's missing cat.

Fenzer

Smash Cadet
Hello in there. Anybody noticed how we got two blonde swordmen in a row? And what if.... they drop a character without a trailer or anything in the sort and it'd be Isaac.....

Just saying, I only HOPE he'd get in and that means nothing but hey, might as well discuss that :p

Rayman001

Smash Cadet
Um, because their fans would crucify Sakurai otherwise?
What? They were wanted for 3 games and didn't make it in. There was no reason to believe this time would be different, the fans were just lucky. Ridley even had an official reasoning by Sakurai why he wasn't in and no indication he changed his mind.

What would the fans realistically do? Because you know most would've bought the game anyway.

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
My take on how I were hyped

:ultinkling: Well that was expect and logical though the inkling **** in their pants lol with the fire ball smash logo 7/10

:ultdaisy:" Cute but yup echo 5/10

:ultridley: Expected but damn the ultimate evil is here 8/10

:ultsimon: Since I never saw the leak I was damn what 10/10

:ultrichter: There is two of them Sakurai the mad man 10/10

:ultchrom: I laughed my ass on the floor lol but expect 5/10

:ultdarksamus: I was omg more Metroid hell yeah 10/10

:ultkrool: Anticlimatic trailer reveal but nice addition 7/10

:ultisabelle: Expected one more character but overall after the meme lol 10/10

osby

Smash Obsessed
Oh, oops... lol.
I come from the dimension where characters like Ayumi and Takamaru made it to Melee, and Villager, PAC-MAN, and Miis made it to Brawl...
Bless us with knowledge from your world! Story Mode is better or worse? Is Smash For newcomers still awesome without :4mii::4pacman::4villager:? Is K.Rool a Marth echo?

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Guess I'll join in the hype reaction game.
:ultinkling: = 5/10 hype on their own, expected as ****ing hell. But 10/10 in terms of the fact the Inklings were the harbingers of a new smash game.
:ultdaisy: = 3/10 hype, was mad at first she got in over Waluigi but then when echoes were more fleshed out, she makes sense. Still kinda boring to me.
:ultridley:= 9/10, never thought it would happen and I was sooo happy Metroid was getting another rep. Showed Nintendo's giving a **** about the franchise in the lead up to Prime 4.
:ultsimon:/:ultrichter: = 7.5/10, badass trailer, looks like they have a great moveset. At the time was pleased they got in but not insanely hyped.
:ultchrom: = -1000000000000000000000000/10 hardcore **** FE I ****ing hate it and will never stop hating it. Expected af. He kinda deserved it after the great Sakurai BTFO'ing in smash 4 but still angry FE is getting any attention when it really doesn't deserve any more representation. Fight me.
:ultdarksamus: = 6/10 hype, rather expected but still glad she's here, and like Ridley is indicative of Nintendo finally giving Metroid the love it deserves.
:ultkrool: = 99999999999999/10 one of my most wanted from smash 4 and is finally given the spot on the roster he deserves. DK was so damn underrepresented and arguably still is, but K Rool went a long way towards righting those wrongs
:ultisabelle: = on her own, meh/10 (5/10) hype, I expected her hardcore. Didn't expect her being unique though and like the inklings I am way more hyped for what she is symbolic of...the arrival of a new AC for switch.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
I chose to go into disbelief over Vergeben at the time, as Sakurai's multiple statements had killed most of my hopes for Ridley. I doubt I was the only one. And K. Rool hadn't shown his face in a decade, people were very concerned Nintendo had all but forgotten about him.
I'm referring to Ryce (the main MVCI leaker), not Verg; Verg was late to the party with Ridley (Simon's his big claim to fame).

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
:ultinkling:: Yeyeye Drink that milk girl... I like them a lot

:ultdaisy:: MEMES, I approve

:ultridley:: OMG IT HAPPENED!

:ultsimon:: Yes, this suits my tastes,

:ultrichter:: Jojo memes and "Monster you don't belong in this world"

:ultchrom:: My favorite flavor of anime man, he looks pretty slick.

:ultdarksamus:: Hey no terrible rolls here!

:ultkrool::THAT'S A THICC ASS BOY, MMMMMM YEAH HE THICC, LOOK AT E'M Y'ALL, GOD DAMN.

:ultisabelle:: Tiny baby to feed treats to :3. ALSO NOT AN ECHO, YEAH,YEAH!

Last edited:

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
:ultinkling: - Actually wanted to play as them. 8/10
:ultdaisy: - Cool she’s in. 6/10
:ultridley: - YESSS, HE’S IN! 10/10
:ultdarksamus: - Okay, this character is kinda cool. 6/10
:ultchrom: - It’s about time he got his chance! 8/10
:ultsimon: - I DIDN’T THINK IT WOULD HAPPEN! 10/10
:ultrichter: - And Richter to boot? Heck Yeah! 10/10
:ultkrool: - MY FAVORITE DONKEY KONG VILLAIN I’VE BEEN WANTING SINCE MELEE IS FINALLY HERE! 10/10
:ultisabelle: - I’m happy for her fans, but hopefully she’ll be fun. 5/10

These are my hype rankings.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Hello in there. Anybody noticed how we got two blonde swordmen in a row? And what if.... they drop a character without a trailer or anything in the sort and it'd be Isaac.....

Just saying, I only HOPE he'd get in and that means nothing but hey, might as well discuss that :p
Two blonde swordsmen in a row? ...when?

Fenzer

Smash Cadet
Ok, i'll play the game of hype newcomer !

:ultinkling: Seems kinda hard to play without training but hey, nice addition we got there! Happy with all the skins too! 7/10

:ultdaisy: Hum, Daisy in here, I honestly didn't expect it and I'm happy with her in there! 6/10

:ultridley: I have issues with his size. Honestly I'd prefer him out than shrinking him to this size. But that's only me cos' i'm weird :p 4/10

:ultsimon: Saw the leaks, wasn't surprised but seriously, he looks sick to play, so can't wait to test him out! 9/10

:ultrichter: Now, that was surprising, and even through he's just an echo, he hypes me even more ! 10/10

:ultchrom: His day came ! 7/10

:ultdarksamus: Disappointed Dark samus is just an echo, she could have been so much more interesting to play with only one different move or FS. 5/10

:ultkrool: Loved the reveal, nice addition, but wasn't really waiting for him. 6/10

:ultisabelle: AND NOW that is something i wanted more than anything.... as en echo. And she's not. So it's great ! 10/10

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
:ultinkling: - 10/10 Maybe the most obvious newcomer to add but that's nowhere near a bad thing. Splatoon is a MASSIVE new IP for Nintendo. For it to not be represented in Smash would be a downright travesty. I LOVE Splatoon/2 so yes please! Bring on Octoling echoes or my pie in the sky DJ Octavio my 2nd favorite Nintendo villain behind...

:ultkrool:- 10/10 Fantastic character/villain. His haters/uninformed people like to say "Generic Bowser knock-off" which is FAR from the case. Dude is an insane obese crocodile with multiple personality disorder. Has no respect for the Kongs (unlike Bowser who see's Mario as a worthy adversary/rival) dude doesn't even have respect for his own minions, mutating them into heinous creatures in DKC3, locking his own little brother (K.Lumsy) in a cage because he wouldn't smash DK Island for him, and even fed Kasplat to a giant Klaptrap for calling him fatso. Hell even the bosses of DK64 fear this guy. Even with his cruel and insane behavior you still like the guy due to how silly/goofy he is in the process. He's a bad guy that just enjoys being a bad guy. Should've been in Smash a long time ago..

:ultridley: - 10/10 Another fantastic and long overdue villain to be added. Bahumbug to the "too big" crowd. Smash has NEVER made sense when it comes to official character sizes. Even Sakurai finally admitted during the Nintendo E3 treehouse livestream. Ridley is a smart/calculated demon spawn (basically) that won't freaking stay dead. He's kinda like a Xenomorph mixed with a Terminator. He's a pretty cool character.

:ultisabelle: - 8/10 A true modern Nintendo All-Star (along with Inklings) her addition was inevitable and I'm glad she is here. Smash works best when blending classic Nintendo with modern Nintendo and blending all ages/eras. Isabelle is a perfect "relevant" addition IMO and she will be added to my rotation of playables.

:ultdarksamus: - 8/10 Another good villain to the roster. Not much to say about Dark Samus other than I'm happy she is here. Will be using Dark Samus over regular Samus any day of the week.

:ultchrom: - 8/10 A character to me that felt like a shoe-in in Smash 4. But didn't make it. I get why cause Sakurai was going for gimmicky original movesets so he went with Robin instead and while I agree he made the right choice. Lucina getting in before Chrom was a little weird to me since they all basically play the same anyway (Chrom, Marth, Roy, Lucina). I'm glad he's finally here as I enjoy Chrom as a character a LOT.

:ultdaisy: - 4/10 It's Daisy it's whatever...cool for her fans personally I don't give a **** about Daisy.

:ultsimon::ultrichter: - 2/10 Don't care about 3rd parties in Smash in the slightest so their reveals did nothing for me.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Love how people ignore Roy, and by extension Chrom, being Decloned and go on to complain that "There's 4 Marth's". Don't worry guys! Don't worry. There's 3 Fox's! 3 Link's! 3 Mario's!

The ****ing Fire Emblem hate is soooooo exhausting. To the point it's annoying.

Last edited:

Ring-a-Sheep

Smash Ace
:ultinkling: Nice addition i don't play splatoon much but i love those squids 8/10
:ultdaisy: its...daisy 2/10
:ultridley: I love this murder dragon a whole lot 9/10
:ultsimon: I didn't really pay attention to any leaks at the time so pretty unexpected for me 9/10
:ultrichter: God i love Rondo of blood so much 10/10
:ultchrom: I don't hate FE but even if you held a gun to my head, you couldn't force me to be excited about an FE rep/10
:ultdarksamus: Prime: echoes was good, not exactly someone i personally wanted but im happy for their fans 7/10
:ultkrool: Gangplank galleon/10
:ultisabelle: How could i hate the perfect being? 10/10

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
I know I don't speak for the majority in any way, but even before Vergeben's leak, as far back as 2016 I was fully expecting Ridley to be playable since the list of big (I'm sorry) Nintendo characters was getting pretty short and fans had been desperately begging for him for years. Simon I was hoping for and was pretty confident would get in for a similar length of time since he was the last really big third-party NES-era character from a highly successful franchise (from a Western perspective; sorry, Dragon Quest). K. Rool I actually didn't give a lot of consideration to until after E3, but between Ridley's addition and reviewing all of the fan polls around the world and how he came out on or near the top on basically all of them, I felt quite confident he would get in. Isabelle, well, in theory I believed she seemed like a reasonable pick since around the 3DS/Wii U games' release, but I naïvely thought Sakurai would adhere to the opinion that it would be too out-of-character, so for a long time I didn't think she'd actually get in despite her popularity until after the 08/08 Direct when echo fighter speculation ramped up, at which point I changed my position and thought she was had a pretty good chance of getting in. But I have no problem admitting that I legitimately did not think that Daisy had a chance before E3, and even after E3 I didn't think Chrom or Dark Samus stood a real chance of getting in. And like most, I never even considered Richter as a possibility.

Oh yeah, and Inklings. Let's be real: there's a reason they didn't even get a normal reveal trailer like every other unique newcomer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom