• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Melee needs to be removed from EVO. Melee elitists who attack other Smash games for not being exactly like theirs are pure cancer and need to be eradicated for good. I love Melee and have fond memories of it, but the community is just unbearable. I hope they aren't vindicated.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
I know people don't like Camilla, but I never learned why.
Besides her fan-service-y design, why don't people like Camilla?
She feels like pure fanservice even personality-wise to me. The cutscenes she's in don't help at all. I know there's more to her character, tho, but it doesn't outweight the negatives.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I'm going to leak tonight's character, being Vergben 640 myself.

Tonight's character will be... CLOUD STRIFE FROM THE HIT PLAYSTATION GAME FINAL FANTASY 7 AND NOT ROSALINA.

You can all come back and praise me later.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I think the point CannonStreak CannonStreak is trying to get across is that, while we may remember the leak, we'll probably forget the actual leaker, but i could be wrong.
Pretty much. You can be famous for a point in time, or a range of time, like now to four years later, but you can also not be remembered after that. I doubt the leaker will be famous for long.

I will continue to make the same point that 4 years is a damn long time to be remembered as well as the ESRB leaker is.
He's gonna keep being famous for this one thing as long as Smash exists, which it will for decades to come.
Nice try, but I don't think it will be that simple. As I said above, there is a difference between being famous and being remembered.

@onehitwonders, i know never gonna give you up by rick astley, and i have for years now. I know zero of his other songs.
To me, that is a different case. Rick is a famous singer after all, so his whole career backs up the Never Gonna Give You Up thing better than the leaker's leaking something before getting fired.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Pretty much. You can be famous for a point in time, or a range of time, like now to four years later, but you can also not be remembered after that. I doubt the leaker will be famous for long.

Nice try, but I don't think it will be that simple. As I said above, there is a difference between being famous and being remembered.

To me, that is a different case. Rick is a famous singer after all, so his whole career backs up the Never Gonna Give You Up thing better than the leaker's leaking something before getting fired.
We are getting way too into the specifics but my point, which I still believe stands, is that the ESRB leak has resulted in this person being remembered for years; far more than most ever get.
At this point it's just psychology so maybe let's just agree to disagree.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Melee needs to be removed from EVO. Melee elitists who attack other Smash games for not being exactly like theirs are pure cancer and need to be eradicated for good. I love Melee and have fond memories of it, but the community is just unbearable. I hope they aren't vindicated.
The first two sentences are precisely backwards.

Melee should be encouraged at EVO. It's a unique look into what happens to a metagame once it gets deep enough that the small things matter. It's a demonstration of superior technical skill with no ceiling. It's a heck of a way to pull in viewers.
The portrait of the Melee elitist doesn't really exist outside of internet forums, nor do those particular reasons. (I say this as somebody who believes Melee is infinitely deep). The Smash scene only hates Melee because they don't feel accepted by the Grandpa Melee scene. It's not because of the game, and it's not because of the fanbase.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
We are getting way too into the specifics but my point, which I still believe stands, is that the ESRB leak has resulted in this person being remembered for years; far more than most ever get.
At this point it's just psychology so maybe let's just agree to disagree.
Very well, and mature, too. I still believe in my points more than yours, though that probably doesn't matter now.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
The responses to that Yoshi pic wasn't what I wanted...
It gave me a vibe
It was cute but in the "please don't stare at me for too long" kinda way
If it's any consolation, tonight's character will be :ultyoshi:
is who i'm betting on

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
The first two sentences are precisely backwards.

Melee should be encouraged at EVO. It's a unique look into what happens to a metagame once it gets deep enough that the small things matter. It's a demonstration of superior technical skill with no ceiling. It's a heck of a way to pull in viewers.
The portrait of the Melee elitist doesn't really exist outside of internet forums, nor do those particular reasons. (I say this as somebody who believes Melee is infinitely deep). The Smash scene only hates Melee because they don't feel accepted by the Grandpa Melee scene. It's not because of the game, and it's not because of the fanbase.
People have many reasons to dislike the Melee scene beyond not feeling accepted, but we just argued on that for 2 pages so hopefully this doesn't start it back up again. Just don't generalize is all.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Speaking of group private messages, it might be fun to have a betting pool (no actual gambling, stop looking at me, mods) group private message to keep people on their toes and have a little fun. >_>

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
The Smash scene only hates Melee because they don't feel accepted by the Grandpa Melee scene. It's not because of the game, and it's not because of the fanbase.
No. It'e because competitive Melee elitists are too stubborn to move on from the past and want Sakurai to cater to the minority instead of the majority of people who don't need to exploit glitches to have fun.

Iridium

Smash Hero
To be honest, as long as TOs still see how popular Melee is and the audiences it brings, Melee probably won't die at all. So far, this year has been really good for exciting people and acknowledging the rise of certain players (Zain, Fiction, etc.).

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
But I still love Melee (I'm not an elitist though, or at least I think, I can't judge myself).

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
No. It'e because competitive Melee elitists are too stubborn to move on from the past and want Sakurai to cater to the minority instead of the majority of people who don't need to exploit glitches to have fun.
That's a frustration that Melee has with the rest of the community: nobody bothers to check if they're actually glitches or built-in. Wavedashing? L-Canceling? Built-in.
But Brawl's various array of glitches, like Infinite Dimensional Cape? That's an actual glitch. Yet nobody picks on Brawl having lots of glitches.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Buddy despite cancerous Melee fans being a thing, keep in mind Smash probably wouldn't even be at EVO if it wasn't for the Melee scene getting it there. Lord knows the fgc would rather have all of smash out. Meanwhile Smash 4 ended with two bayo players ****ing around during EVO gf, the community obviously doesn't take it as seriously as Melee one if they can't even work through boos or deal with top 8s dominated by one character. If anything Smash 4 is the community which needs behavioral wake up call to know **** like that shouldn't be tolerated

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
That's a frustration that Melee has with the rest of the community: nobody bothers to check if they're actually glitches or built-in. Wavedashing? L-Canceling? Built-in.
But Brawl's various array of glitches, like Infinite Dimensional Cape? That's an actual glitch. Yet nobody picks on Brawl having lots of glitches.
Excuse me? Brawl is treated as a joke by the majority of the competitive Smash scene, for its glitches is just one factor

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Why are we talking against Melee again? It is really off topic and it does not plug to the speculation criteria.

I love watching Melee (non elitist) but all of the sudden hate out of nowhere makes me crouch on a corner and cover my eyes while hoping for this argument to go away.

You are breaking my heart. :(

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm rather disappointed that one of the poll choices isn't "I don't know". It would have made for a perfect They Might Be Giants reference.

Oh, and on a not-scary Yoshi note, he's apparently considered a dragon nowadays.

inktober_03_dragons_by_flintofmother3-dcogu00.jpg

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
What if tomorrow they will open the event by releasing a new trailer, and the demo will include the newcomer announced in the trailer?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
All I have to say about Melee are its elitists. They really seem stuck in the past and are too stubborn to move on, like many Sonic fans I know. They should just move on and realize that a Smash game doesn't have to be exactly like Melee to be their liking. A few changes should not ruin anything, let alone trigger those people just because they don't like it, especially when everyone else, or most people, do not mind those things. I know it can be hard to let go, but if one stays in the past, they are never happy with anything else, even the smallest thing that should not affect them. You guys know what I mean?

D

Deleted member

For as much flack as Melee's community gets (a lot of it unjustified IMO), from what little I've seen and heard about Smash 4's community, it sounds like there was tons of infighting and poor decision making (Seriously, why was nothing done about Bayo?). Melee seems to have the steadier community from what I've seen, and also seems to be the game most prefer to watch, so I personally don't see any harm in letting Melee still appear at tourneys.

Also, maybe don't generalize the Melee community? What you're describing sounds like every single fandom and community in existence. Yes, there are people whose behavior is shameful, but they certainly do not represent the entirety of Melee's community. Lots of people play the game, and plenty of them enjoy the other games too, and even if they don't, they don't attack other games or their players. A few people being toxic doesn't mean the whole community is.

Iridium

Smash Hero
You mean like last night? This board nearly had a heart attack when YouTube went down for a little bit, and a clean rip of the Smash Ultimate Main Menu Theme was uploaded...
I actually was here for that, only because I wanted to listen to something else.

I meant today, as in, were there any ridiculous "leaks" or anything like that today? Just wondering, since I love debunking them in my spare time.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I'm rather disappointed that one of the poll choices isn't "I don't know". It would have made for a perfect They Might Be Giants reference.

Oh, and on a not-scary Yoshi note, he's apparently considered a dragon nowadays.

View attachment 170394
The classification of what Yoshi is supposed to be is a lot muddier in Japan...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom