• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I guess the magnitude is much bigger with the Switch having so much momentum and such.

That and how noteworthy all the additions are. It's looking like the best Smash of all time so far.
Yeah, the game being on a console most people actually want to own is a big part. Though also, come to think of it, what was special about Smash 4 leading up to its release, other than that it was just a new Smash game? None of its content or characters were particularly outstanding. Mega Man was the only huge character in the base game. The only major appeal of Smash 4 is that its gameplay is very good and it was HD, but otherwise there wasn't that much to get hype about. Smash Tour? Really?

Meanwhile, Ultimate is on Switch, has a bunch of new characters people really wanted, and has almost all the content from previous games and more.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, i prefer the original DK Rap over the Melee version.

And the problem is that they shortened it in Smash 4, and left the worst parts of the cover besides the Donkey Kong one.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I didn't want to talk about this, but while we are still topic,,,

Despite your points, Undertale is a game where you can kill, and even if Mat did intend to bring the Pope the game with the pacifist route in mind, I don't think the Pope would like the idea that you could at least kill if you wanted to in the game to begin with. Maybe if it was a completely pacifist game...
What, you think it's easy to be a pacifist in real life?!? Making good moral choices doesn't mean as much if the option and temptation to do the wrong/selfish/harmful/destructive thing isn't present...
Undertale let's you go through genocide, but it shows how it's better to do the right thing/do good. The true story is the pacifist route, even.
Thank you. This is essentially the point I wanted to make. Yeah, you can get through the game by killing everything in your way (and not even touch the genocide route to do so — that explicitly requires you to go out of your way to commit mass murder), but the game will relentlessly chide and scold you for being violent. The experience is geared to push the player to figure out how to spare the monsters and take the peaceful option in order to get the best outcome to the story.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I might have asked this before, but is there any character you like to play thanks to voice acting/sound effects?

Desperate attempts at changing the topic are desperate

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Am I the only one who don't like Melee's version of the DK Rap due to the increase of the speed in the song?

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
If my opinion is wrong why does Intelligent Systems agree Advance Wars sucks? AS PUNISHMENT I SENTENCE YOU TO 100% DK64 COMPLETION INCLUDING THE SECRET RAINBOW COIN
*cough*

Up that to 101% then we'll talk. Got it all done within three days fam.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah, the game being on a console most people actually want to own is a big part. Though also, come to think of it, what was special about Smash 4 leading up to its release, other than that it was just a new Smash game? None of its content or characters were particularly outstanding. Mega Man was the only huge character in the base game. The only major appeal of Smash 4 is that its gameplay is very good and it was HD, but otherwise there wasn't that much to get hype about. Smash Tour? Really?

Meanwhile, Ultimate is on Switch, has a bunch of new characters people really wanted, and has almost all the content from previous games and more.
I think the scope is bigger than just the newcomers. It's the particular characters and how some of them were highly requested ones from the community like Ridley and K. Rool. That and Castlevania is a huge addition to the world of Smash. And beyond that of course, Everyone is Here which in itself is amazing.

With a Classic Mode that doesn't suck, all this game needs is a robust Adenture mode and good Online to be perfect. Gameplay wise at least.

D

Deleted member

I might have asked this before, but is there any character you like to play thanks to voice acting/sound effects?

Shulk I guess?

It usually ends up being the opposite. Like I can't stand playing Smash 4 Fox because his voice is garbage, and I'm going to be unable to use Marth at all in Ultimate unless language swap is a thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Isnt it generally agreed upon that all versions of the DK rap suck? I guess some versions are more awful than others though.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
What, you think it's easy to be a pacifist in real life?!? Making good moral choices doesn't mean as much if the option and temptation to do the wrong/selfish/harmful/destructive thing isn't present...
I didn't say that. Doesn't change the fact that killing is still present, and something religious people would be against in the first place. Now, just drop the topic, okay? It has gone on for long enough.

So, if I may ask you guys, who do you think will be your least favorite newcomer?

D

Deleted member

In Smash, nobody i can think of.

But in the Crash games, with Cortex when i have the chance. I love his spanish voice.
Am I the only one who don't like Melee's version of the DK Rap due to the increase of the speed in the song?
I dislike it too, except for the Lanky and Chunky parts

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
If my opinion is wrong why does Intelligent Systems agree Advance Wars sucks? AS PUNISHMENT I SENTENCE YOU TO 100% DK64 COMPLETION INCLUDING THE SECRET RAINBOW COIN
But Intelligent Systems secretly wishes they could go back to AW-chan but Nintendo-sama demands they work on only FE-kun.

And Gwen, that's the greatest punishment i've been give in my life. Thank you very much. :)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You guys know that if you want to talk about anything that isn't Smash related you can just talk in the Nintendozone social right? A lot of us frequent there and you can talk about anything there. Go there if you want to talk about other stuff.

I really want more Skyward Sword music in Smash.

D

Deleted member

So, if I may ask you guys, who do you think will be your least favorite newcomer?
Not counting echoes, probably K. Rool just because I tend to not like heavyweights. Otherwise, Daisy. I already don't like playing Peach, and Daisy's basically Peach.

D

Deleted member

I didn't say that. Doesn't change the fact that killing is still present, and something religious people would be against in the first place. Now, just drop the topic, okay? It has gone on for long enough.

Probably Daisy.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I’ve just been sitting back and watching this thread.

I know this gets repeated ad nauseum, but we really need a direct.
That goes without saying.

*quietly points at K.Rool*

I don't really like any version of the song but I didn't mind increased speed, it fits the game better.

D

Deleted member

What we really need is those goddamn CastleVania tracks. THIS is in the game, this specific version
Combine that with the Out of Time remix, we're in for some good *** buttrock
I am excited to hear the Castlevania music.

Mostly the cover for Simon's theme from SC4.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Not counting echoes, probably K. Rool just because I tend to not like heavyweights. Otherwise, Daisy. I already don't like playing Peach, and Daisy's basically Peach.
*aims gun at him* HOW DARE YOU?! TAKE THAT BACK! Naw, just kidding! This gun isn't even loaded.

But seriously, from the footage, K. Rool looks to be the best of the heavyweights to me.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868

Oh, for crying out loud... the emphasis on refusing to use violence to solve problems is made more profound by giving the player the option to use violence, and then guilt-tripping them if they do kill anyone. Pacifism doesn't mean a bloody thing if the game doesn't let the player hurt anyone to begin with.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Theme songs that need to be in Ultimate?

How dare you not mention this gem!

And while we're at it, Coin Launcher itself needs to come back. No joke, I spent an hour of doing nothing but Coin Launcher and I have no shame in doing so.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I’ve just been sitting back and watching this thread.

I know this gets repeated ad nauseum, but we really need a direct.
Do we really?

Have you considered the fact that there is no Smash Brothers?

Think about it this way: What if this entire thing has been a government experiment? If the lizard people are really from The Dark World (see my TED talk), "Smash Brothers" may be a way of selecting a few thousand people to constantly speculate online? What happens when the "final direct" drops? Do we stop existing?

I don't have enough tin foil for this.

osby

Smash Obsessed
*aims gun at him* HOW DARE YOU?! TAKE THAT BACK! Naw, just kidding! This gun isn't even loaded.

But seriously, from the footage, K. Rool looks to be the best of the heavyweights to me.
I mean, Cloud is the best swordfighter in the game but I still don't like playing as him that much.

D

Deleted member

Theme songs that need to be in Ultimate?

How dare you not mention this gem!

And while we're at it Coin Launcher itself needs to come back. No joke, I spent an hour of doing nothing but Coin Launcher and I have no shame in doing so.
I would like to see the main theme for Brawl back.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Oh, for crying out loud... the emphasis on refusing to use violence to solve problems is made more profound by giving the player the option to use violence, and then guilt-tripping them if they do kill anyone. Pacifism doesn't mean a bloody thing if the game doesn't let the player hurt anyone to begin with.
UGH! Will you just let it go? I don't see how that makes the game any better for him, anyways if the killing is there, and the enemies are trying to kill you too. Now end of story.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Chrom, as our third Marth derivative and not really having anything special about him besides being an anime man. I'm sure his character in his game is interesting enough, otherwise people wouldn't want him, but in Smash he just looks bland. I have the same problem with Dark Pit. Apparently he's much more interesting in the game, but in Smash, he's just alt color Pit with a generic attitude.

As opposed to King K. Rool, who I know almost nothing about because I've never played a Donkey Kong game, yet his design, personality, and moveset are super interesting and I'm actually excited to try him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom