• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
C'mon Gamefreak if Zygarde 10% can be a dragon-type then you have no reason not to give us a dragon-type Eeveelution already. Now make like a Regigigas finally get your act together.
I don't know why Gamefreak is so reluctant to do new Eveelutions. They're popular, marketable and relatively easy to design. Yet we've only had one new addition since gen 4 ...

As for alts, I'd play :ulttoonlink: so much more if he gets his lobster shirt. Also, I'm excited for :ultmario: as Odyssey gave him dozens of costume possibilities.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
By the way, which properties in Special Smash you guys use most?

I usually play with Mega and Screw Attack.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Reminder that every single one of these pokemon is a dragon-type and that Charizard isn't. You could make an entire Pokemon team out of monsters that have almost no right to be dragon-type. In all honesty I'm not even upset, I think some of these monsters being somehow being ""dragons"" is kind of charming in it's own way. And I don't care what anyone says, Zard will always be a real dragon in my heart.

C'mon Gamefreak if Zygarde 10% can be a dragon-type then you have no reason not to give us a dragon-type Eeveelution already. Now make like a Regigigas finally get your act together.
When you start to call anything a dragon, this might be the point when you need to take a good, long vacation for a while.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990

Reminder that every single one of these pokemon is a dragon-type and that Charizard isn't. You could make an entire Pokemon team out of monsters that have almost no right to be dragon-type. In all honesty I'm not even upset, I think some of these monsters being somehow being ""dragons"" is kind of charming in it's own way. And I don't care what anyone says, Zard will always be a real dragon in my heart.

Charizard X says hi

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I don't know why Gamefreak is so reluctant to do new Eveelutions. They're popular, marketable and relatively easy to design. Yet we've only had one new addition since gen 4 ...
They've been reluctant to do new evolutions of existing Pokémon, period since Gen V. They probably don't want to bother flipping any existing species' Eviolite compatibility tag.

Potato_

Smash Lord

Altaria and Goomy being dragon is completely fine by me. Goomy's a baby and Altaria could pass as a dragon of some kind. It just doesn't fit the stereotypical image of one.

Don't ask me why Ampharos growing out its hair makes it dragon, or long neck Exeggutor. Them's the breaks I guess.

Also I can't feel bad for Charizard. Dude is one of the faces of the franchise and constantly gets special treatment.

"Gee Charizard, how come Nintendo lets you have TWO mega evolutions?"

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
So, um......

For you're potential least played character, what will it take for you to try them out?

For me, Cloud would have to be a much fairer fighter...
Good things it's the case in Ultimate!
Cloud is still pretty good. He received fair Nerf, and the overall game mechanics change that help everyone else is rather detrimental for him.

Cloud will obviously still be Top/High tiers. But nowhere as obnoxious as he can be sometime in Smash4 nor Bayonetta level

Flyboy

Smash Hero
WarioWare doesn't have an obvious second character for everyone to rally behind. I mean, Ashley is the most popular by far, but there isn't a "this character makes the most sense to be next in line," like Diddy Kong or Palutena. Everyone is sort of equal in the WarioWare cast, but nobody stands out.
Mona.

But I guess the fact that she's not the one everyone rallies behind makes it not an obvious choice. It's a shame because Mona is along with Jimmy and Wario himself one of the OG three and her microgames are the most reused and iconic in the series.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Mona.

But I guess the fact that she's not the one everyone rallies behind makes it not an obvious choice. It's a shame because Mona is along with Jimmy and Wario himself one of the OG three and her microgames are the most reused and iconic in the series.
If it helps, WWG's character showcase trailers have started with her, with Jimmy being second.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So, um......

For you're potential least played character, what will it take for you to try them out?

For me, Cloud would have to be a much fairer fighter...
I think mine is Game & Watch...
idk, he's just not my type of character

The new aesthetic changes to his moves seem fun though

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
Mona.

Was going to mention Jimmy but you beat me to it. I'd prefer either one to Ashley, considering their importance to the series (and Mona is cuter don't @ me).

Whenever someone suggests a Warioware character however I'm always confused as to what moveset they would have. Would it revolve around their respective microgames? I mean it'd have to right? Wario takes so much from Warioland that I feel like it'd be a lot harder to make a moveset for the Warioware crew.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Gen 8 will probably have one or two. They always come in even numbered generations (2=Umbreon/Espeon, 4=Leafeon/Glacieon, 6=Sylveon)

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Jimmy T. is the best choice.

Though I'll also accept him as an assist trophy that forces people to dance (not taunt, you cowards) when they get close.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Was going to mention Jimmy but you beat me to it. I'd prefer either one to Ashley, considering their importance to the series (and Mona is cuter don't @ me).

Whenever someone suggests a Warioware character however I'm always confused as to what moveset they would have. Would it revolve around their respective microgames? I mean it'd have to right? Wario takes so much from Warioland that I feel like it'd be a lot harder to make a moveset for the Warioware crew.
That's why I think Mona is perfect - she has plenty of moves on her own from her different jobs but she's also perfect to have as a character that specifically represents microgames in the series. A moveset based on summoning noses and toilet paper and hurdlers and weird lanky Marios and girls with allergies sounds like a rip-roaring good time to me.

Untouch

Smash Master
Mona or Jimmy T. are the only other characters I would say are close to "main characters" in the warioware series, just based on the placement of their minigames in the series.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Why not? Wario is more popular than Metroid, and DK has multiple reps (not that there's anything wrong with that) while the other Mario sub-franchises only have one each.
Honestly, a single WarioWare rep is fine with me. You wouldn't see me complaining if we got Mona or Jimmy, but I can understand why they might not ever get in Smash.

For starters, none of the WarioWare characters are anywhere close to being just as iconic as Wario and other characters from the Mario universe, so adding them might feel like a low priority to Sakurai. Second, not many of the WarioWare characters have obvious moveset potential. It can be done, but not without some dedication and creativity. Frankly, I can't see Sakurai going through all the trouble for a character like that unless there's a massive amount of fan support. We already have Wario, and that's probably all Sakurai is comfortable with right now.

Wario takes a lot from Wario Land. Good one.

I think it could work if the attacks were inspired by the microgames. Mona could summon that giant foot from the microgame in the WarioWare Inc. stage as a d-smash or something.

The only problem with this is that you could do microgame moveset with literally any of the WarioWare characters. There's not much separating the characters in terms of uniqueness if you go this route.

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
You’re forgetting one...
I was including Sylveon in the 'since gen 4' bit but yeah, Sylveon's a funny case as it didn't really bring us closer to have an eeveelution for every type as it was a new type entirely...

Gen 8 will probably have one or two. They always come in even numbered generations (2=Umbreon/Espeon, 4=Leafeon/Glacieon, 6=Sylveon)
Makes sense: especially so as Eevee's profile will be higher following Lets Go. Still, if I were a Gamefreak Pokemon designer I'd see eeveelutions as free dex filler (assuming they have to hit some kind of quota, that is). Kudos on Gamefreak's part for showing more restraint

They've been reluctant to do new evolutions of existing Pokémon, period since Gen V. They probably don't want to bother flipping any existing species' Eviolite compatibility tag.
Fair enough - I guess people didn't like many of the cross gen evos in Gen 4, which were a pretty mixed bag design wise. Still, Gamefreak must be willing to risk it somewhat with redesigning old Pokemon, as the Gen 1 Alola forms in Gen 7 showed.

And speaking of WarioWare, where's the love for Dr. Crygor?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Honestly, a single WarioWare rep is fine with me. You wouldn't see me complaining if we got Mona or Jimmy, but I can understand why they might not ever get in Smash.

For starters, none of the WarioWare characters are anywhere close to being just as iconic as Wario and other characters from the Mario universe, so adding them might feel like a low priority to Sakurai. Second, not many of the WarioWare characters have obvious moveset potential. It can be done, but not without some dedication and creativity. Frankly, I can't see Sakurai going through all the trouble for a character like that unless there's a massive amount of fan support. We already have Wario, and that's probably all Sakurai is comfortable with right now.

I think it could work if the attacks were inspired by the microgames. Mona could summon that giant foot from the microgame in the WarioWare Inc. stage as a d-smash or something.

The only problem with this is that you could do microgame moveset with literally any of the WarioWare characters. There's not much separating the characters in terms of uniqueness if you go this route.
Mona has a class change mechanic with her jobs or even just a K. Rool thing where she switches outfits to go with things like her up+B being a cheerleader jump or her side-B being the moped from Microgames.

Mona has a lot of potential both as a character and as a representative of the Microgames side of WarioWare.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Reminder that every game after Smash 64 added only one franchise with multiple characters: :ultmarth::ultpit::ultvillager::ultsimon:

I wouldn't object if new franchises can get more characters.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Mona has a class change mechanic with her jobs or even just a K. Rool thing where she switches outfits to go with things like her up+B being a cheerleader jump or her side-B being the moped from Microgames.

Mona has a lot of potential both as a character and as a representative of the Microgames side of WarioWare.
A little bit different though. K. Rool's attacks were actually present in the DK games, so figuring out how they would integrate into Smash wasn't exactly hard to picture. With Mona, it's a two-step process. She was once a photographer, but what could be pulled from that? She was once an explorer, but is there anything that would work as an attack?

Again, not saying Mona or any other WarioWare rep is impossible, but you have to remember that anyone who isn't a dedicated fan of that character probably can't make a full moveset that easily. Whatever movesets we come up with on SmashBoards are typically the best-case scenarios for characters.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I don’t think they’re that reluctant. I’ll think so if we don’t get any in Gen 8, but it just seems like an every-other-generation thing.

Gen 2 got Umbreon on Espeon

Gen 4 got Glacion and Leafeon

Gen 6 got Sylveon

Gen 8 will probably get another one or two. I’m holding out for Dragon and either Bug or Flying, if not all three. Drakeon, Secteon, and Wingeon.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
A little bit different though. K. Rool's attacks were actually present in the DK games, so figuring out how they would integrate into Smash wasn't exactly hard to picture. With Mona, it's a two-step process. She was once a photographer, but what could be pulled from that? She was once an explorer, but is there anything that would work as an attack?

Again, not saying Mona or any other WarioWare rep is impossible, but you have to remember that anyone who isn't a dedicated fan of that character probably can't make a full moveset that easily. Whatever movesets we come up with on SmashBoards are typically the best-case scenarios for characters.
It's a good thing the important person who makes the movesets probably will do just fine

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
So music theory died and got resurrected as the bar theory? At least it will die quickly if we get nothing Wednesday.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I have the feeling that all this bar thing will turn into Nintendo officially announcing the N64 mini instead of being Smash related; but I may be wrong.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Altaria and Goomy being dragon is completely fine by me. Goomy's a baby and Altaria could pass as a dragon of some kind. It just doesn't fit the stereotypical image of one.

Don't ask me why Ampharos growing out its hair makes it dragon, or long neck Exeggutor. Them's the breaks I guess.

Also I can't feel bad for Charizard. Dude is one of the faces of the franchise and constantly gets special treatment.

"Gee Charizard, how come Nintendo lets you have TWO mega evolutions?"
Ampharos's Japanese name translates to electric dragon
Mona or Jimmy T. are the only other characters I would say are close to "main characters" in the warioware series, just based on the placement of their minigames in the series.
yeah, that's really the biggest thing placing those as of higher importance.

He doesn't really have that many moves directly from Warioware either, only like 2-3.
Like Mona's character fits better being based on her jobs than being based on random microgames. Like for example nose based ones doesn't really fit her. Some works for her, like Fries with That?. But really her moveset potential is pretty generic non-fight stuff and she's not all that popular.
And There's really none of the characters that really fits going all in on the microgame inspiration.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Ampharos's Japanese name translates to electric dragon
yeah, that's really the biggest thing placing those as of higher importance.
He doesn't really have that many moves directly from Warioware either, only like 2-3.
Like Mona's character fits better being based on her jobs than being based on random microgames. Like for example nose based ones doesn't really fit her. Some works for her, like Fries with That?. But really her moveset potential is pretty generic non-fight stuff and she's not all that popular.
And There's really none of the characters that really fits going all in on the microgame inspiration.
You do realize that Mona's the one who invented the nose-based Microgames, right? Her category in the original was "Strange" because she has a lot of weird interests. Like, that's her thing. In Touched she had the toilet-paper-unrolling one and such.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Would have been helpful (to everyone, yourself included since media-only posts aren't the most welcomed thing) if you had included the other images and links in your post and talked about it.

But yeah, that ArcadeMTL facebook post about Nintendo does exist on their official page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom