• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
So what have i missed since last night?
Not a whole lot - we may be learning of a new Smash direct in an hour and a half, but
"3 days remain" .... hE's IN gUyz!!!!11!! I wish :(

In all seriousness, this could well be nothing (and God knows we don't need another theory beginning with b), but we might be getting something in the next few days, and might be hearing in the next hour or so ... or not

Still, this limbo is still better than that week after the direct was delayed, when people were really losing it

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Am I the only one who prefers Mona's old design over the new one? She looked cooler, her new design is more cutesy and while it's ok, I think it doesn't really fit the character that much... I mean, she looks like a completely different character, at least IMO.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Bar theory is setting it a little low.

Or is this when it gets set higher?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Am I the only one who prefers Mona's old design over the new one? She looked cooler, her new design is more cutesy and while it's ok, I think it doesn't really fit the character that much... I mean, she looks like a completely different character, at least IMO.
Don’t worry, she’s just figuring out how to adult

PlasmaSnow12

Smash Cadet
I wanr the Samus Returns Varia and Gravity suit as an alternate costume for Samus.
Holy heck yes please, I need the bulky armor with the death shoulders.
Honestly the one thing that sorta hurt the Everyone is Here video for me is that Samus still had her Other M design.
I know it's kinda petty, I know, I just really liked the armor from Samus Returns.

Untouch

Smash Master
I forget, usually Nintendo directs are announced at 10:00 AM EST aren’t they?
There really isn't a set time, but commonly 9EST or 10EST.
If we're basing a direct off the """bar theory""" it probably won't be announced today, but we'll see.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
"3 Days Remain"
People are gonna assume it's Skull Kid just because of that, aren't they?
> bar doesn’t even know which game is being presented
> somehow, they not only know it’s Smash, but that Skull Kid’s in.

:confused:

It can’t just be the fact that that’s been a meme since Majora’s Mask released...

In all seriousness, this is looking good for an announcement and we’re due for one, but I’ll believe it when Nintendo tells us there’s a direct. The N64 mini is plausible, but I feel that they’d want a bigger venue - this is Nintendo though, and they’re known to make questionable marketing decisions. We’re definitely due for another Smash direct about Spirits or whatever the mode is, but the question will be if we’re getting a standalone trailer before or not. I can’t see them still having reveals after their 50-fact thing

D

Deleted member

Oh god I just came back here what's this "3 days remain" and this bar theory?
Oh, I think I have an idea:
An anorexic dragon, an obese crocodile and a purple man walk into a bar...

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I honestly have no problem with hoping for a direct announcment this week that ties to the weird Canada bar event. We would be hoping for a direct anyway and so now we just have a slight reason to expect one.

But calling it The "bar theory". That I will not stand for, the Smash community has gone too far!

Seriously do people even know what a theory is. Hoping for an announcement that ties to an event is not a theory....

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I honestly have no problem with hoping for a direct announcment this week that ties to the weird Canada bar event. We would be hoping for a direct anyway and so now we just have a slight reason to expect one.

But calling it The "bar theory". That I will not stand for, the Smash community has gone too far!

Seriously do people even know what a theory is. Hoping for an announcement that ties to an event is not a theory....
can i have examples of more than one person calling it bar theory in a context that isn't complaining that people are calling it bar theory, or making fun of the name

they have to be saying it unironically

half of the time it seems like people complaining about stuff are the ones that name the things they're complaining about

disclaimer: i am groggy at my internship and the coffee they made is horrible so i'm a smidge more sassy this morning

Last edited:

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
You do realize that Mona's the one who invented the nose-based Microgames, right? Her category in the original was "Strange" because she has a lot of weird interests. Like, that's her thing. In Touched she had the toilet-paper-unrolling one and such.
While she might be the one that had the original Nose-picking microgame, nose picking really is a Wario thing. I'm not against her doing a bunch of what you do in hers and other character microgames. but I don't think her summoning noses and feets fits.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I have a new theory.

Since most of the popular theories begin with B (Box, Bar, Blog...)
I predict the next theory to also begin with B, because it's a pattern, it's too precise for being just a coincidence.

I think the next theory will be the Basket theory.
Square enix will announce a sequel of Mario Hoops 3-on-3 for Switch, and they won't reveal the full roster of characters.
People will start to speculate that Geno is in, since the game is another collaboration with Square Enix and Mario characters appear along with Final Fantasy characters.
People will say that, because of this, Geno will be in Smash for sure.
Since Mario Hoops 3-on-3 is a basketball game, the theory will be called the Basket/Basketball theory.

(obviously I'm joking).

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Everyone's trying to come up with or make sense of theories, and meanwhile I'm like ''whatever man I'll just wait and see when they release more information, we still got just under 2 months to go before release''.

Not saying I don't enjoy the speculation but sometimes people are really grasping. Assuming because they have nothing better to do. :p

Potato_

Smash Lord
> bar doesn’t even know which game is being presented
> somehow, they not only know it’s Smash, but that Skull Kid’s in.

:confused:

It can’t just be the fact that that’s been a meme since Majora’s Mask released...

In all seriousness, this is looking good for an announcement and we’re due for one, but I’ll believe it when Nintendo tells us there’s a direct. The N64 mini is plausible, but I feel that they’d want a bigger venue - this is Nintendo though, and they’re known to make questionable marketing decisions. We’re definitely due for another Smash direct about Spirits or whatever the mode is, but the question will be if we’re getting a standalone trailer before or not. I can’t see them still having reveals after their 50-fact thing
Realistically I see this being two options:

1. It's just a local thing, maybe the arcade is getting the VR Mario Kart like some suggested.

2. They are having a viewing party for a direct/announcement at the bar.

If #2 ends up being the case, then the announcement itself has nothing to do with the bar. I don't think people are getting this.

Also if #2 ends up being the case, it might not even be Smash related. Could be for Let's Go, who knows.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
the only people calling it the bar theory are the people complaining that the name/idea that its a theory is stupid

ask me anything

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I have a new theory.

I predict the next theory to also begin with B, because it's a pattern, it's too precise for being just a coincidence.

Square enix will announce a sequel of Mario Hoops 3-on-3 for Switch, and they won't reveal the full roster of characters.
People will start to speculate that Geno is in, since the game is another collaboration with Square Enix and Mario characters appear along with Final Fantasy characters.
Since Mario Hoops 3-on-3 is a basketball game, the theory will be called the Basket/Basketball theory.

(obviously I'm joking).
It makes too much sense now...

Flyboy

Smash Hero
the only people calling it the bar theory are the people complaining that the name/idea that its a theory is stupid

ask me anything
Like in the original post it's clearly called "bar theory" as a joke but if I've learned one thing it's that there are a lot of people here with no sense of humor.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
While she might be the one that had the original Nose-picking microgame, nose picking really is a Wario thing. I'm not against her doing a bunch of what you do in hers and other character microgames. but I don't think her summoning noses and feets fits.
Another way it could be represented is giving her a normal and/or throw that’s an uppercutting one or two-fingered stab at her opponent’s nose, so it can be represented in a less visually distinct manner.

Edit, not sure if it’s actually that fitting, but I’m just throwing out ideas.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
can i have examples of more than one person calling it bar theory in a context that isn't complaining that people are calling it bar theory, or making fun of the name

they have to be saying it unironically

half of the time it seems like people complaining about stuff are the ones that name the things they're complaining about

disclaimer: i am groggy at my internship and the coffee they made is horrible so i'm a smidge more sassy this morning
Between here, Reddit and game faqs I've seen many people refer to it as only that. I didn't rank each response by ironic usage, but just the fact that that's what the community has already decided to reffer to it, is dumb lol.

Also don't worry about the sassy morning, I get it :p

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
> Mona
> Noses aren't her thing.

I mean, we are talking about the same lady who has a lot of weird and zany microgames and has the hots for Wario, right?
I'd imagine her moveset would have a lot of weird and quirky looking attacks going on, heck, she'd probably represent Wario Ware better than Wario himself currently does...

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Altaria and Goomy being dragon is completely fine by me. Goomy's a baby and Altaria could pass as a dragon of some kind. It just doesn't fit the stereotypical image of one.

Don't ask me why Ampharos growing out its hair makes it dragon, or long neck Exeggutor. Them's the breaks I guess.

Also I can't feel bad for Charizard. Dude is one of the faces of the franchise and constantly gets special treatment.

"Gee Charizard, how come Nintendo lets you have TWO mega evolutions?"
Ampharos is due to a pun that gets lost in translation. Its Japanese name, Denryuu, contains "ryu," the Japanese word for dragon. Alolan Exeggutor is a reference to the Dracaena genus of palm trees.

It's the same dumb suffix incompetence tons of people have, like calling it "Bowsette" when it isn't Bowser+Toadette, or adding "-gate" to the end of every scandal despite Watergate being the name of the hotel, and not a scandal about water.

tl;dr: People are really dumb when naming conventions are concerned.

D

Deleted member

I have a new theory.

(obviously I'm joking).
B Theory: the theory that says all main theories start with a B

B-Tier Theory: the theory that says all newcomers will be B-Tier
Boat Theory: the theory that says Gangplank Galleon and the Boat maps from Shadows of Valentia will be playable stages
Black Theory: the theory that says all remaining newcomers have the color black in them(Incineroar and Ken, for example)
Blade Runner Theory: the theory that says every remaining character uses a sword(blade) in some form and runs with them

Graizen

Smash Champion
I don't understand why people want to choose evolution for Agumon in Smash.

Pokémon Trainer has 3 "forms", using 3 different Pokémon.

Agumon have 3 Evolutions, he can chage for the same number of Monsters.
Greymon, MetalGreymon, WarGreymon

If you want a Final Smash, Omegamon is the best choice.
He evolves, attacks, and vanishes.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Realistically I see this being two options:

1. It's just a local thing, maybe the arcade is getting the VR Mario Kart like some suggested.

2. They are having a viewing party for a direct/announcement at the bar.

If #2 ends up being the case, then the announcement itself has nothing to do with the bar. I don't think people are getting this.

Also if #2 ends up being the case, it might not even be Smash related. Could be for Let's Go, who knows.
yeah ive heard people say "why would it be happening in a bar in canada?" somehow missing the point that the hypothetical direct would be "everywhere" and the bar is just somewhere nintendo of canada is setting up to watch it at and they jumped the gun a bit by saying something was happening. potentially.

as for setting up VR mario kart or something...i feel like the bar would have to know if it was something like that, and instead of saying "we have no idea" they'd say "you'll see..." or something to that effect, that they know but its a secret for now. the fact the bar doesnt know means its 100% a nintendo secret thing and thats highly suspicious.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
B Theory: the theory that says all main theories start with a B

B-Tier Theory: the theory that says all newcomers will be B-Tier
Boat Theory: the theory that says Gangplank Galleon and the Boat maps from Shadows of Valentia will be playable stages
Black Theory: the theory that says all remaining newcomers have the color black in them(Incineroar and Ken, for example)
Blade Runner Theory: the theory that says every remaining character uses a sword(blade) in some form and runs with them
The Bogus Theory
It says that every theory that doesn't start with B is bogus; see the Music Theory.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Ampharos is due to a pun that gets lost in translation. Its Japanese name, Denryuu, contains "ryu," the Japanese word for dragon. Alolan Exeggutor is a reference to the Dracaena genus of palm trees.

It's the same dumb suffix incompetence tons of people have, like calling it "Bowsette" when it isn't Bowser+Toadette, or adding "-gate" to the end of every scandal despite Watergate being the name of the hotel, and not a scandal about water.

tl;dr: People are really dumb when naming conventions are concerned.
Oh my gosh the thing that gets me pissed off most about Bowsette is the name! It makes no sense!

Give me Beach!...or Powser. Honestly those names are infinitly better for a meme character.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Like in the original post it's clearly called "bar theory" as a joke but if I've learned one thing it's that there are a lot of people here with no sense of humor.
yeah it's pretty obvious

gonna start attaching the word theory to the end of my sentences to see what happens theory

Between here, Reddit and game faqs I've seen many people refer to it as only that. I didn't rank each response by ironic usage, but just the fact that that's what the community has already decided to reffer to it, is dumb lol.

Also don't worry about the sassy morning, I get it :p
appreciate your understanding
even if i'm particularly stern or something at someone i still love most of you
in a "i kinda know that username in this forum i watch like a soap opera to kill time" kinda way theory

besides, i guess what i'm trying to say is the people *here* referring to it are doing it in the context of complaining about it being "another theory"

Bruh theory
just wait for the bar thing to be nothing like the rest of everyone

Last edited:

Dukemon

Smash Apprentice
Greymon, MetalGreymon, WarGreymon
On this point we are not agree each other.
I would like to see an evolution from Agumon to ShineGreymon. WarGreymon is a way to mainstream. With a SmashBall the Rookie can evolve to Ultimate, with next SmashBall the Digimon can evolve back.

This permanent Ultimate Digimon as in Digimon Rumble Arena 2 were terrible and boring.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
While we wait for death yet again, here’s a thing I just realized the other day: The first two characters shown at E3 were Mario and Samus, and the newcomers revealed at E3 were Daisy and Ridley. They teased them right from the start.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Damn, you all talked about a WarioWare rep and not one mention of 9-Volt?

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
While we wait for death yet again, here’s a thing I just realized the other day: The first two characters shown at E3 were Mario and Samus, and the newcomers revealed at E3 were Daisy and Ridley. They teased them right from the start.
Starting with Mario and Metroid.
Ending with Mario and Metroid, respectively.

That's amazing, but I don't think the devs are that clever though. It's probably just a happy coincidence.

Still amazing tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom