• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I don't at all recall hearing anything about her be higher priority in Melee or Smash 4. If that's true, then that's news to me.
Higher priority relative to the last minute additions/ characters who were on the brink of nearly being cut. The only characters we know were squeezed in at the last minute were the 6 clones and the only non-clone character we know who was on the brink of nearly being left off was Bowser Jr.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I always thought Ness's and Lucas's normal PSI Attacks (Tilts, Aerials, Smashes, etc.) were variations of PK Rockin' and Love.
Their Final Smashes can be the end-all versions of the moves.
What is it with people wanting way less interesting Final Smashes? Like characters being invincible and nothing else?
Donkey Kong's current Final Smash is both uninteresting and terrible. And Strong Kong can be given an extra property or two, like making DK stronger or faster.

Mega Eggdozer would just be plain awesome.
I don't at all recall hearing anything about her be higher priority in Melee or Smash 4. If that's true, then that's news to me.
Actually, Puff was going to be cut in Melee, as Sakurai considered it a joke in SSB64. Puff was kept due to being popular.

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
Here's another talking point.

Anyone had a Smash character that you were introduced to through Smash, went to play/complete and love their original games... But you just can't look at them in Smash and put them together with their origin no matter how hard you try?

For my own example, :4ness: and :4lucas:. Went and played both Earthbound and Mother 3 to completion, love both games (ESPECIALLY Mother 3), but no matter how hard I try, I can't help but look at both of them like different characters from their origin games. Maybe it's because their attacks... Well, literally aren't their own. I have a similar problem with :4fox:and :4falco:.
Captain Falcon. How did anything on his moveset happen in the first place? I'm not complaining of course, it's just bizarre to think about.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Actually, Puff was going to be cut in Melee, as Sakurai considered it a joke in SSB64. Puff was kept due to being popular.
Puff was considered to be cut, not planned. There' s a difference, similar to how Takamaru was considered but never planned for Smash 4.

But really, there's no evidence Jigglypuff was low priority in Smash 4 unlike in Brawl.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Higher priority relative to the last minute additions/ characters who were on the brink of nearly being cut. The only characters we know were squeezed in at the last minute were the 6 clones and the only non-clone character we know who was on the brink of nearly being left off was Bowser Jr.
So, she was still lower priority, but higher than a few others? Now that I wouldn't be very surprised by.

That's what I thought.

I'm almost certain she was originally intended as a joke character in her Smash debut.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Is there anywhere you have all the results of your polls easily accessible? You Tweet too much for me to just go hunting! :surprised:
Usually I would have a screenshot of the results replied to the post of the winner on my page.

In this case, I might want to dig that up. lol

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
:4marth:: Darksphere
This would be the single most out of character thing ever.

The Darksphere on its own corrupts the user into an evil husk of their former self in exchange for incredible power. Plus the only time Marth has ever used it on its own is when it's placed inside the Fire Emblem alongside the Light, Life, Star, and Geospheres, where its effects are neutralized.

...And even then it just lets him auto-kill earth dragons.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
So, she was still lower priority, but higher than a few others? Now that I wouldn't be very surprised by.

That's what I thought.

I'm almost certain she was originally intended as a joke character in her Smash debut.
I'm almost certain Jigglypuff got in as a lower effort Kirby semiclone.

So_many_mails

Smash Apprentice
Am I the only one that feels like 2018 is just a liittle too soon? Like this was the perfect year to announce it, but the slow releases of information and discussion of Smash 4 were so iconic oml. I don’t know if a future Smash will live up to that. It really felt like we were at the point where the roster had room to go row but most of the major characters were covered, so anything could happen. I’m not saying there won’t be almost 70 characters in Smash Switch, I just don’t know. Honestly, if the roster was organized better, it wouldn’t be a big deal I bet.
I agree that it seems a bit soon, especially after how long the Smash 4 speculation went on for.

It's pretty certain that Smash will get a direct at some point, considering Smash 4 got 2, but I feel like that will be in the last third of the year.

I really don't know if pic of the day will return. I feel like it might not do, as Miiverse is gone now, but there is always the website.

In terms of when we next get details, I think they'll either be a Pokemon direct before E3, along with a Pokemon smash trailer, or we won't get anything until E3. Either way, I think the speculation will last until then, I mean it's been a week now and I for one am more hyped if anything.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
That's true for Smash 64. Do we have any information on her in Melee other than her being kept in due to popularity?
I don't remember seeing anything on the Melee website.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
So, I just found out this discussion existed, right after I already uploaded a video on my predictions for the new installment.
I'm not a fan of self advertising, but everything I'd probably say here is likely to have been said in my video already. Since it's related to the topic at hand, I feel it should be safe to throw up a link for those curious:

My nibba, Wii Fit ain't going anywhere.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
People need to realize that a lot of this “priority” is just happenstance. Same with “representation.”

Video game development isn’t a robotic and cold process... Especially not at Nintendo for sure. A lot of it comes down to what could easily picking stuff out of a hat. Especially in a game like Smash where if you were to cut a bunch of unfinished stuff last minute, nobody would notice. It’s not like oh say JRPGs where you have to build discrete beginnings, middles and ends.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I feel like Sakurai is too up in his head about cutting characters. Sure, the Smash fandom can be a little crazy at times, but generally speaking less characters means more polish and more balance. I wouldn't mind cuts. I mained Ice Climbers in Melee and Brawl but then just used a different character in Smash 4. It was fine. I was fine.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
This would be the single most out of character thing ever.

The Darksphere on its own corrupts the user into an evil husk of their former self in exchange for incredible power. Plus the only time Marth has ever used it on its own is when it's placed inside the Fire Emblem alongside the Light, Life, Star, and Geospheres, where its effects are neutralized.

...And even then it just lets him auto-kill earth dragons.
If he did use it by itself, it would stop all his opponents from attacking.

IMO, anything's better than a standard game mechanic you could give to pretty much any RPG character ever.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
yeah honestly Jigglypuff seems like this deadweight the series carries around for the sake of having her. This is both shown how she's been among the last characters added to Brawl and Smash 4, as well as how her attacks and attributes are generally unchanged

Just to play Devil's Advocate for a bit:

:4drmario: Uh, no, the fact Dr. Mario is just Mario in a doctor's costume makes me think Dr. Mario, as he is, is represented perfectly. Besides, throwing Megavitamins gives Dr. Mario the right amount of attack representation it needs, since that's all Dr. Mario does in his games. And where did you get the "different life" aspect from? Is this some Zelda-style alternate timeline ****?
He’s a weird case. If only he had a proper backstory rather than “he’s just standard Mario”...As for the Megavitamins, I meant being able to use them as part of his attacks more instead if being restricted to a B move. Maybe even be able to incorporate the viruses as well.

:4lucina: Now I haven't played Fire Emblem Awakening, so forgive me if my logic here is false, but wasn't one of the big plotpoints in that game Lucina disguising herself as Marth? In that aspect, I feel she's accurately represented.
Her time masquerading as “Marth” was short-lived. When Chrom confronts “him”, Chrom instantly recognizes the fighting style to which Chrom asks “him” who taught “him” to fight like that and “he” mentions “my father!”. The cutscene shows them fighting using the same fighting style. In-game Awakening lore Lucina states that she knows next to nothing about Marth. IS screwed up in the in-game battle animations. Well, it was just IS using the same model for Marth and Lucina; just changing their heads. Then we have the whole Viridi thing mentioning that Chrom would be too similar to Ike. At this point, Lucina being a speedy Ike would have been slightly more preferable.

:4darkpit: Dark Pit was a literal clone of Pit, both lore-wise and gameplay-wise in Kid Icarus: Uprising. Perhaps Dark Pit Staff could have been made more different of a Final Smash, or perhaps replaced Silver Arrow as a neutral special, but that's about all I can come up with.
He should have ditched the Silver Arrow and stick with the Dark Pit Staff and the rest of the Uprising weapons to completely represent Uprising.

I just mentioned that the characters could have been better implemented but they were the target of “extra time”. I’d like to see them being worked on with PROPER development time.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I feel like Sakurai is too up in his head about cutting characters. Sure, the Smash fandom can be a little crazy at times, but generally speaking less characters means more polish and more balance. I wouldn't mind cuts. I mained Ice Climbers in Melee and Brawl but then just used a different character in Smash 4. It was fine. I was fine.
I think a lot of people would beg to differ, and that's what Sakurai is scared of.

Not me personally. I was bummed by the lack of ice climbers but it gave me a reason to want to play brawl sometimes, so that was fun.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I think a lot of people would beg to differ, and that's what Sakurai is scared of.

Not me personally. I was bummed by the lack of ice climbers but it gave me a reason to want to play brawl sometimes, so that was fun.
I mean, annoyed initially, yes? Not going to buy the game? Very unlikely. I think there's a handful of characters that he could leave out. People still bought the game when we thought Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, Wolf, Ice Climbers etc. weren't going to be in it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If he did use it by itself, it would stop all his opponents from attacking.

IMO, anything's better than a standard game mechanic you could give to pretty much any RPG character ever.
But it literally goes against everything Marth is as a character.

The Darksphere on its own literally caused Hardin, Marth's closest ally, dear friend, and a benevolent ruler who fought for the rights of the people, to turn into a genocidal emperor that tried to kill him. And then Marth had to kill him.

If Sakurai literally made Dark Pit his own character because he wouldn't use the Three Sacred Treasures, there's no way in hell he'd give Marth something that Gharnef used to basically kill one of his best friends. The Critical Hit is fine.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Captain Falcon. How did anything on his moveset happen in the first place? I'm not complaining of course, it's just bizarre to think about.
My Captain Falcon theory: (I think I read this somewhere but don't have a source so I'm calling it a theory)
I think that Captain Falcon was one of the original "Dragon Fighters"; both his model and moves were created before the title became Smash Bros. And later on they reskinned him as Captain Falcon. So I view him almost as an original character created by Smash Bros.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I always see people calling for the heads of the likes of Duck Hunt and Wii Fit Trainer, but I don't think Sakurai has every really cut out entire franchises from the roster unless he really has to.

See, while it may suck to lose someone like Greninja, there's at least a whole other dozen Pokemon characters representing that franchise. If you were to cut, say, Mr. Game & Watch, then the entire G&W franchise/emblem would be erased from Smash Bros., and I think that's something Sakurai wants to avoid.

The only two real instances of this happening are Metal Gear and Ice Climber...the former being a third party and thus a legal gray area, and the other being due to limitations regarding the 3DS hardware. In that sense, it's possible some of the other third party franchises currently in Smash might not come back, but I don't see any of the first party IP like Wii Fit, Duck Hunt or R.O.B being scrappd like that, especially since none of them have any technical problems going against them.

Last edited:

So_many_mails

Smash Apprentice
Anyone else find it amazing the amount of speculation that has been done based on only knowing:

-Sakurai is making it
-Inklings are in it
-BOTW Link
-Veterans are returning

D

Deleted member

First, that doesn't even make sense, you could argue "this can be done by any other character" for most of the roster. Well, any RPG character can also have an out-of-character Final Smash too, like you suggested.
Second, no other game has Critical Hits as broken as FE.
It's a 3x multiplier, it's literally able to turn the tide of the battle in an instant, which is why Marth(and Roy) are the only ones with a guaranteed OHKO in the entire game.

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
Other than the cut of Wii Fit Trainer, everything else seemed reasonable.
Yeah, I didn't have much reason beyond "Is Wii Fit even on the Switch?" and the annoyance many had for her when she was revealed. I figured that she was definitely more likely than the others I mentioned though, as it was literally a case of "I have 9/10, who else is there to add?"

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
I don't think I can disagree more. If he's responding to what people want, that's a good thing. They've already spent time and resources into balancing preexisting characters multiple times. The newer characters are more likely to be polarizing. They fixed Meta Knight, then throughout Smash 4 greatly tweaked Greninja, Rosa, Sheik, and Diddy. Now, everyone is still complaining about Bayonetta and Cloud.
Look, this part may not Ben the most popular take, but it initial imbalance isn't a bad thing imo, unless it's totally game breaking, which I wouldn't describe anything in Smash 4 as honestly. The Switch has many years left. They could seriously give this game longevity by regularly breathing life into it with balance patches and DLC.
Bottom line is, that's a waste of the time that went into making the characters and it'd only hurt the game.
I know I'd be much less likely to buy a Switch if Rosa was removed tbh. I already stopped playing video games for the last year so I honestly do think I mean that lmao

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
For the non-Fire Emblem fans, asking for Marth to use the Darksphere is like saying Luke Skywalker should use force chokes and sith lightning.

Just to put it into perspective.

Edit: Autocorrect hates the word Sith

Last edited:

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Alright, let's go point-by-point

Edit: Note that I say "clone" for brevity but am including any character that heavily reuses animation assets.

The time is better spent on actual alt costumes and further polishing the game.
There's something being left unstated here and it confuses me. Do you think Lucina would be better off as a Marth alt? Should Falco have been a Fox alt in Melee? I don't see what that accomplishes other than being a strict subtraction of the game's content with no benefit. As for polish, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you don't mean art because, again, that's not relevant. What that leaves is mechanical polish and, in that regard, I don't really understand what you want them to do that clones are preventing them from accomplishing. While a game should be well play-tested and not buggy, Smash is already pretty good about that, it's just that, like all games, eventually it gets broken because no team in the world can test a game as much as it's tested by players in like its first week of release for a game like Smash. Not only that, but skipping ahead, you noted that we are in:
In the era of DLC, post-game updates and patching
So a game not being perfectly playtested (and even Melee somehow still probably isn't) is even less of a problem because any issues can be fixed after release.
But I don't think any of this is necessary, because I see no reason why clones should make that or any related problem all that much worse.

You support clones and I’m against them. We’re on completely different sides so we’ll never come to an agreement.
Not important to the argument, but I find this to be a bizarre way of looking at things. It's weird how relativism leads to absolutism...

Clones were a practice done in the past as a way to pad out a roster to give the costumer as much “content” as possible since games couldn’t be updated or patched post-launch.
I don't think that this is exactly accurate, but it's also irrelevant, including for the reason you mention immediately after, so this has no function in proving anything.

In the era of DLC, post-game updates and patching, the developers are better off must focusing that “extra time” elsewhere.
And you continue to say things with doing anything to complete an actual argument for them. What's the difference between Falco as a Fox alt and Falco as a clone? The involvement of programmers in changing framedata and so on. Anything that is going towards art is being contributed by other people, so it makes no difference. It's not like those programmers would instead become artists and we'd have 10 new costumes if they didn't need to give Falco's neutral special hitstun.

I mentioned actual alternate outfits due to the fact that it’s been one of Smash’s main weaknesses. What Smash gets for the most part are quick texture color swaps.
Here's the difficulty in this being turn-based, I guess, but it can be seen from my previous comments that this is a non-sequitur.

They contribute nothing but needless roster bloating in my eyes.
You're just repeating yourself without addressing the point.

The characters in question deserve better.
If the choice is between costume and clone, how does that even matter? Does Falco being a skin of Fox do something to preserve his integrity that him being in his own slot with his own play style fails to do?

If we go by your logic, we could end up with over 10 Fox variants/clones just by tweaking the properties.
I try to avoid shouting "Fallacy!" but that's a slippery slope argument that doesn't prove anything about the claim that I'm actually making, in part because it makes assumptions that I never did (such as that the same character can be successfully iterated on more than once). If you want to push what I said farther, a much better analogy would be:
If we go by your logic, we could end up with over 10 more clones of other characters just by tweaking the properties.
That's a more fair representation of my logic, and you know what? I agree with it. If there are enough characters out there that could justifiably be interpreted as clones and would otherwise be alts for those characters, I'd be all for it. There's no benefit to, for example, keeping Alph as a costume as opposed to letting him be his own character who uses the new Pikmin types while Olimar goes back to using the ones from 1 and 2. There's the same amount of art work being done, but also more gameplay potential added. It seems like a win-win.

That feels like the developers would be cheating off a potential costumer. That is what I’m against.
You personally might react that way, and other people undoubtedly would, but a lot of those other people are the sort of idiots who think clones take up slots that could have been occupied by a completely original character, which is just false.

In addition to all of this, I should also point out that clones do an excellent job of setting up for future installments since, as we've seen, characters introduced as clones tend to have more done to distinguish them in a later title, as happened with Falco.

Last edited:

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
For the non-Fire Emblem fans, asking for Marth to use the Starsphere is like saying Luke Skywalker should use force chokes and with lightning.

Just to put it into perspective.
If anything, he should be using the completed Shield of Seals instead.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I don't think I can disagree more. If he's responding to what people want, that's a good thing. They've already spent time and resources into balancing preexisting characters multiple times. The newer characters are more likely to be polarizing. They fixed Meta Knight, then throughout Smash 4 greatly tweaked Greninja, Rosa, Sheik, and Diddy. Now, everyone is still complaining about Bayonetta and Cloud.
Look, this part may not Ben the most popular take, but it initial imbalance isn't a bad thing imo, unless it's totally game breaking, which I wouldn't describe anything in Smash 4 as honestly. The Switch has many years left. They could seriously give this game longevity by regularly breathing life into it with balance patches and DLC.
Bottom line is, that's a waste of the time that went into making the characters and it'd only hurt the game.
I know I'd be much less likely to buy a Switch if Rosa was removed tbh. I already stopped playing video games for the last year so I honestly do think I mean that lmao
Okay, that's fair enough. It seems strange to me that people wouldn't buy a game with a roster of over 50 characters because one is missing but that's your call, not mine.

I do agree that balance patching is a good thing, and there's no way that they would get it right the first time. It will be exciting if they constantly give this game support over the years the Switch has.

I don't think it's necessarily a waste of time removing characters that have already been devved in old iterations though. Games evolve, we lose characters along the way, and sometimes that is okay. If they don't offer anything new (clones) then maybe it's okay.

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
I can kinda agree with this, I know I'd be pretty livid if Mewtwo was cut after we JUST got him back, and after I finally chose him as a main too. I'd hate for the 2 or so years that I mained him to have gone to waste, plus the time I spent with Lucina prior, it'd all feel like a waste of time. I feel Lucina is on the chopping block for the new game already, so if I end up losing Mewtwo as well, I don't know if I'd be willing to even bother with the new game, especially at a competitive level.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I think Critical Hit is fine as is for Marth's Final Smash. I feel like anything flashy just doesn't really fit Marth that well. Plus, crits in Fire Emblem are a big enough deal that it fits a Final Smash. That moment when a character seems as good as toast when getting attacked by an enemy, or miscalculating the damage you do, only for the character to go "Screw your math" and take them out with one blow... MMMM So good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom