• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Nothing, sadly. I'm hoping for an announcement sometime next week.
Come to think of it, what do people think we might get the next announcement? I'm expecting a newcomer and an echo fighter at the very least, likely some more assist trophies, and details on Spirits.

Of course, there's those that think the next announcement may be the final announcement as well.
I have absolutely no clue at this point--my powers of speculation are failing me.

If all the characters Verge said are what's left: One final Direct, with Incineroar, Ken, and the SE rep. If these are the characters, I'm betting on no more new stages. We delve into the single player mode (not called Spirits), we have a section on new modes, trophies, and Pokemon/items/assists, where a Creeper assist pops up. And--that's all I can think of.

My dream final direct:
Begins with Banjo & Kazooie, talks about their moves, stage with Gruntilda boss (her rhymes would be the codec replacements) and Mumbo Jumbo assist, all mirroring Simon's reveal. Echo fighters Ken and Shadow (okay, in my dream it would be Dixie and Shadow). Followed by the single player mode, that includes new stages, and this is where Minecraft pops up. We finally get a reveal of all 108 stages. Alt costumes are shown off, and there's a lot more than we expect, perhaps some bragging as to how many different combinations there are. New Pokemon/items/assists, and Incineroar pops up (okay in my dream along with Sceptile). Sakurai reveals the plans for DLC, and then has one more thing: Geno ends the Direct (I'll add in Boshi for Zinith). Seems so perfect, which is why it's not gonna happen.

NineS

Smash Lord
As long as it still plays like a character action game and not a JRPG, I'll continue to have no interest.
That's kind of why they want it to be different. They know they can't really live up to the expectations of faithfully recreating the experience of playing FFVII, so they're looking to create a different experience that is grand in it's own way.

I have absolutely no clue at this point--my powers of speculation are failing me.

If all the characters Verge said are what's left: One final Direct, with Incineroar, Ken, and the SE rep. If these are the characters, I'm betting on no more new stages. We delve into the single player mode (not called Spirits), we have a section on new modes, trophies, and Pokemon/items/assists, where a Creeper assist pops up. And--that's all I can think of.

My dream final direct:
Begins with Banjo & Kazooie, talks about their moves, stage with Gruntilda boss (her rhymes would be the codec replacements) and Mumbo Jumbo assist, all mirroring Simon's reveal. Echo fighters Ken and Shadow (okay, in my dream it would be Dixie and Shadow). Followed by the single player mode, that includes new stages, and this is where Minecraft pops up. We finally get a reveal of all 108 stages. Alt costumes are shown off, and there's a lot more than we expect, perhaps some bragging as to how many different combinations there are. New Pokemon/items/assists, and Incineroar pops up (okay in my dream along with Sceptile). Sakurai reveals the plans for DLC, and then has one more thing: Geno ends the Direct (I'll add in Boshi for Zinith). Seems so perfect, which is why it's not gonna happen.
I still don't believe the next direct, or the characters Vergeben has revealed, are going to be our only characters. I'm not sure why, I'd say it's blind faith but it's almost never that for me in any situation. There's always a sense of doubt in me somewhere, but I strongly believe we'll at the very least get two more Nintendo Directs, with at the bare minimum, one more character that Vergeben hasn't revealed. Granted, if it's not that, then I could be considered a blind optimist in this situation.

Also, Boshi.

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord
Remember when Verge endorsed the leak with a playable Steve? Because I do
He himself didn't necessarily say Steve was playable.
It was another leaker who said Steve would be playable, a leaker that Vergeben said is usually reliable. Of course, he didn't confirm or deny what the leaker said, only that it's possible and this person has a good history.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
That's kind of why they want it to be different. They know they can't really live up to the expectations of faithfully recreating the experience of playing FFVII, so they're looking to create a different experience that is grand in it's own way..
If they're okay with me not buying it, then more power to them.

Because there's no way I'm spending money on "FF7, only its FF15".

NineS

Smash Lord
If they're okay with me not buying it, then more power to them.

Because there's no way I'm spending money on "FF7, only its FF15".
I feel a more accurate description of it is more "FF7, if it came after FF15". Both games have incredibly different stories, overall themes and messages, etc, with FF7R likely surpassing whatever FF15 has to offer (Subjective, I know.), at least in terms of pure overall content. Of course, I don't blame you for preferring the classic JRPG style, but I think you may be overstating what FF7R overall has in common with FF15.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Remember when Verge endorsed the leak with a playable Steve? Because I do
Verge confirmed that his sources tend to line up with Hitagi's (and let's not forget how sketchy Hitagi is in the first place--also he's now saying Steve's probably DLC). Verge clarified that his *non-Smash* sources heard murmurs (from other people) that Steve might be playable. So that's he said, they said, they said. Or... if Verge is multiple people, now they said, they said, they said. Which is why Verge is only confirming Minecraft *content*. It's possible, but the evidence so far is not as adequate as the ones he's actually confirmed.

Iridium

Smash Hero
What talk are we at now?

Anyway, because I want to keep people's starter choices (barring potential Amiibo), does anybody here want to vote in my poll? Ends December 7th, so I want to get as many results as possible. I'm at 73 (74?) votes right now.

Here it is.

Choose a starter character, and this is if you had to start off with them only.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I feel a more accurate description of it is more "FF7, if it came after FF15". Both games have incredibly different stories, overall themes and messages, etc, with FF7R likely surpassing whatever FF15 has to offer (Subjective, I know.), at least in terms of pure overall content. Of course, I don't blame you for preferring the classic JRPG style, but I think you may be overstating what FF7R overall has in common with FF15.
When people said they wanted a "Final Fantasy VII Remake", what they meant was "Final Fantasy VII with superior graphics, bug fixes, translation fixes (and voice acting), and maybe some (canon) story extensions and references to other Compilation of FF7 entries", not "Final Fantasy VII as an Action RPG (with all that stuff)".

What Square Enix is trying to do with FF7R is a critical misunderstanding of what the fans actually want.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
As long as it still plays like a character action game and not a JRPG, I'll continue to have no interest.
I've seen how combat goes in FFXV. That's an insult to character action games and I will not stand for it

For those that don't know you just need to hold the attack button down and Noctis automatically runs to the enemy, attacks them and after killing them, moves on to the next. A single button hold can do that

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
What talk are we at now?

Anyway, because I want to keep people's starter choices (barring potential Amiibo), does anybody here want to vote in my poll? Ends December 7th, so I want to get as many results as possible. I'm at 73 (74?) votes right now.

Here it is.

Choose a starter character, and this is if you had to start off with them only.
Voted for DK because playing him probably unlocks K. Rool.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
It was another leaker who said Steve would be playable, a leaker that Vergeben said is usually reliable. Of course, he didn't confirm or deny what the leaker said, only that it's possible and this person has a good history.
Didn't the leaker that leaked Steve mention the new switch Model?
He might have some legit information...

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I've seen how combat goes in FFXV. That's an insult to character action games and I will not stand for it

For those that don't know you just need to hold the attack button down and Noctis automatically runs to the enemy, attacks them and after killing them, moves on to the next. A single button hold can do that
Not to defend the turd that was this game but you die in the first 10minute by doing that lmao-

When people said they wanted a "Final Fantasy VII Remake", what they meant was "Final Fantasy VII with superior graphics, bug fixes, translation fixes (and voice acting), and maybe some (canon) story extensions and references to other Compilation of FF7 entries", not "Final Fantasy VII as an Action RPG (with all that stuff)".

What Square Enix is trying to do with FF7R is a critical misunderstanding of what the fans actually want.
I'm maybe wrong, but wasn't it confirmed that FF7R had an ATB/Characters switch and that it was just the "visual presentation" that made it look like an ARPG?

Like, you still have the menu/ATB but visually it look like an Action RPG instead of just two people waiting?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Not to defend the turd that was this game but you die in the first 10minute by doing that lmao-

I'm maybe wrong, but wasn't it confirmed that FF7R had an ATB/Characters switch and that it was just the "visual presentation" that made it look like an ARPG?

Like, you still have the menu/ATB but visually it look like an Action RPG instead of just two people waiting?
For everything that doesn't work for, just use potions and pheonix downs and you're unstoppable

I have no ****ing clue and considering how development's gone, I don't think SE does either

KMDP

Smash Legend

I have no idea.

If that's actually the case, I'd have no problem.
I have no ****ing clue and considering how development's gone, I don't think SE does either
*laughs*

NineS

Smash Lord

As with all remakes, there's bound to be some sort of misunderstanding, or people upset with the changes. What you said what people wanted is more of a remaster of a game with far more content, than it is a remake. A remake is recreating something from scratch, but with a different and obviously more modern/advanced outcome.

Which would not look nearly as good as what we already have seen so far.
Along with all that they ended up scrapping, it's safe to say what we saw in that trailer and what we're going to get are two extremely different beasts now. We're also likely getting far more story than the last game, and it is safe to assume that canon story extensions and references to the other games or canon events are a guarantee. Likely not of anything that comes after FF7 in in-game lore, but likely some foreshadowing. Of course, the transition from JRPG to ARPG is something that will no doubt upset many fans of the original, as no one likes seeing their nostalgia messed with, but in the end it's a transition most will be willing to make. Not to mention, they will likely bring back old fans who left the franchise, and bring in new. Regardless, FFVIIR is a game that will probably end up making Square Enix plenty of money just because it has FFVII in the title, and Cloud's face stamped onto it. It's one of the most iconic entries to the franchise. Calling it anything like XV, aside from potentially combat-wise, is definitely overstating it though considering just how much we actually know and how much of what we know will change.

But yeah, we're definitely not getting the game any time soon seeing how far back they had to restart, and how much they're going to pack into those 3 discs.

Didn't the leaker that leaked Steve mention the new switch Model?
He might have some legit information...
I don't really recall if he said something about the new switch model. I think he might have. I'll need to check.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
If FFVIIR is an ARPG, hope it's more Kingdom Hearts II than FFXV. KHII feels SO damn good to play.
He's gotten a few things right, like SNK waifu fighter DLCs, the new Sam Sho, and the Switch Pro. He's definitely worth keeping an eye on, at the very least

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
As with all remakes, there's bound to be some sort of misunderstanding, or people upset with the changes. What you said what people wanted is more of a remaster of a game with far more content than a remake. A remake is recreating something from scratch, but with a different and obviously more modern/advanced outcome.

Along with all that they ended up scrapping, it's safe to say what we saw in that trailer and what we're going to get are two extremely different beasts now. We're also likely getting far more story than the last game, and it is safe to assume that canon story extensions and references to the other games or canon events are a guarantee. Likely not of anything that comes after FF7 in in-game lore, but likely some foreshadowing. Of course, the transition from JRPG to ARPG is something that will no doubt upset many fans of the original, as no one likes seeing their nostalgia messed with, but in the end it's a transition most will be willing to make. Not to mention, they will likely bring back old fans who left the franchise, and bring in new. Regardless, FFVIIR is a game that will probably end up making Square Enix plenty of money just because it has FFVII in the title, and Cloud's face stamped onto it. It's one of the most iconic entries to the franchise. Calling it anything like XV, aside from potentially combat-wise, is definitely overstating it though considering just how much we actually know and how much will change.

But yeah, we're definitely not getting the game any time soon seeing how far back they had to restart, and how much they're going to pack into those 3 discs.

I don't really recall if he said something about the new switch model. I think he might have. I'll need to check.
He said a Switch pro--which we do not know what configuration the rumored Switch model will be. In all likelihood, it's a cheaper model as a 3DS replacement in time for Gen 8, in which case Hitagi would have been wrong. But at this point, we don't know. What we do know is many of the stuff he rumored--Verge rumored beforehand. Which makes sense, if they have many of the same sources.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
As with all remakes, there's bound to be some sort of misunderstanding, or people upset with the changes. What you said what people wanted is more of a remaster of a game with far more content than a remake. A remake is recreating something from scratch, but with a different and obviously more modern/advanced outcome.

Along with all that they ended up scrapping, it's safe to say what we saw in that trailer and what we're going to get are two extremely different beasts now. We're also likely getting far more story than the last game, and it is safe to assume that canon story extensions and references to the other games or canon events are a guarantee. Likely not of anything that comes after FF7 in in-game lore, but likely some foreshadowing. Of course, the transition from JRPG to ARPG is something that will no doubt upset many fans of the original, as no one likes seeing their nostalgia messed with, but in the end it's a transition most will be willing to make. Not to mention, they will likely bring back old fans who left the franchise, and bring in new. Regardless, FFVIIR is a game that will probably end up making Square Enix plenty of money just because it has FFVII in the title, and Cloud's face stamped onto it. It's one of the most iconic entries to the franchise.

He definitely did some stuff about a bew Seitch model. Even chatted with him in DMs a bit about it.
He said a Switch pro--which we do not know what configuration the rumored Switch model will be. In all likelihood, it's a cheaper model as a 3DS replacement in time for Gen 8, in which case Hitagi would have been wrong. But at this point, we don't know. What we do know is many of the stuff he rumored--Verge rumored beforehand. Which makes sense, if they have many of the same sources.
They could just slash the price of the current model, while making a Switch Pro.

Especially considering the fact the Switch is the 3DS replacement

osby

Smash Obsessed
could it be we're gonna have only one direct for smash ultimate? because with that pace it seems so
That's the impression I get, too. Considering we only have a few fighters left, it makes sense not distributing them to more than one direct.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
That's the one.
It was never debunked, and there isn't a model out there like this one as far as people are concerned.
It's difficult as Geno's relatively easy to fake, and like any leak that's cropped to bits the question is why not show the whole thing?

That being said, I do think Geno's most likely in. But given Square's knack for secrecy, we might not get anything real beforehand.

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord
It's difficult as Geno's relatively easy to fake, and like any leak that's cropped to bits the question is why not show the whole thing?

That being said, I do think Geno's most likely in. But given Square's knack for secrecy, we might not get anything real beforehand.
I still find it interesting that it hasn't been debunked yet, even after all this time. And no one came out and claimed the model as their own work. I'm not saying it is a real leak, but these things are to take into consideration, including the things against it.
Also, praises to the person who made the gif.

Untouch

Smash Master
I remember another Geno fake leak from a while ago.
It had Silvally (the pokemon) as well.
While people found the Geno render, no one has found the Silvally picture yet.
People can just go really obscure and deep with what they take from.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
At this point, it seems likely, unless they were to announce something soon.
I felt like this was the last week they could have had a non-Direct reveal. As any Direct would be spaced out accordingly, but it now runs the risk of coming up too close to Let's Go. And while I feel like after Let's Go's release would be the ideal way to give Let's Go the room it needs and then focus can shift to Ultimate, at that point leaks would be a dime a dozen.

Which in some ways is disappointing, if true--on the bright side it means we're getting close to the final unveiling and we can shift our focus without the anxiety of not knowing. Though, given my expectations have now sufficiently lowered, my hope is we get something like the August Direct where despite feeling like we knew everything--Sakurai knocks it out of the park and surprises us yet again.

EDIT:
https://imgur.com/qQgVdfZ
The Geno has been found.
Silvally still looks really fake here, but it hasn't been found yet.
(I don't think this is a real leak btw)
lol wut. Did anybody think that was real? Man, fake leaks have seriously been worse this time around, compared to Smash 4. :rotfl:

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord
https://imgur.com/qQgVdfZ
The Geno has been found.
Silvally still looks really fake here, but it hasn't been found yet.
(I don't think this is a real leak btw)
... There is a lot wrong with that Geno, and while the Silvally seems mostly fine, it strikes me as two-dimensional for some reason.
It's safe to say these two are fake for many reasons, but the one that stands out, Geno especially, is that it seems like whoever did this might not have too much experience in rendering/modelling/etc.

There's just so much wrong with the Geno image.

NineS

Smash Lord
Last edited:

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Since we still don't know what Robin's Final Smash is, I've been giving it some thought. I think it will still be Pair Up, but instead of Chrom it will either be Tharja, Cordelia, Frederick, or Morgan.

Although they would make the most canonical sense, Tharja and Morgan seem less likely though, considering their moves would be mostly too similar to Robin's moves. Personally, Cordelia would be my choice.

NineS

Smash Lord
Since we still don't know what Robin's Final Smash is, I've been giving it some thought. I think it will still be Pair Up, but instead of Chrom it will either be Tharja, Cordelia, Frederick, or Morgan.

Although they would make the most canonical sense, Tharja and Morgan seem less likely though, considering their moves would be mostly too similar to Robin's moves. Personally, Cordelia would be my choice.
That's definitely the most likely option aside from it being another critical hit, but I'd love for Grima to be involved in some way for Robin's final smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom