• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I don’t think anyone at this point should say that we’re not getting a reveal and their reason be because they said they were “slowing down the pace”.

It’s been a month since we got Isabelle now, with no new reveals compared to last months’s 6 (or 3/3).

The pace already slowed down at this point.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Gonna revisit this post from yesterday:

Alright I'm gonna do the 7 updates with 4 characters and 3 stages each properly this time, again assuming Incineroar and Ken are it for base (and a Minecraft stage is in base too so no Steve)

Characters:
Bandana Waddle Dee
Elma
Black Shadow (Captain Falcon Semi-clone)
Chorus Kids

Stages:
Lake Ciel (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
Rhythm Heaven stage
GX Mute City

Characters:
Shadow (Sonic echo)
Neku Sakuraba
Lloyd Irving
Shantae

Stages:
Some TWEWY stage
Shantae stage
Tales of Symphonia stage
...sue me idk what to use exactly for the stages

Characters:
Rex & Pyra
Twintelle
Octoling (Inkling Echo)
Euden

Stages:
Phraeganoth Raid stage (Dragalia Lost)
Mor Ardain Forest (Xenoblade Chronicles 2)
Ramen Bowl (ARMS)

Characters:
Dixie Kong
Funky Kong (DK Semi-clone)
Celica (Robin Semi-clone)
Medusa (Palutena Echo)

Stages:
Hades' Realm or whatever it's called (Kid Icarus Uprising)
Tropical Freeze stage
...only 2 stages here

Characters:
Heihachi Mishima
Rayman
Zack Fair (Cloud Echo)
Dante

Stages:
DMC stage (NOT DmC please, note the difference in capitalization)
Rayman stage (dunno what to use)
Tekken stage (Dunno what to use)

involves fan favorites who were disconfirmed previously now playable, with of course some hard coded modifications
Characters:
Ashley (AT replaced with another character, or AT just won't appear when she's out period)
Fiora (her FS likeness is permanently removed and replaced with Melia)
Kumatora (removed from Lucas's FS altogether)
Captain Toad (won't appear on New Donk City when playable)
sorry no Waluigi

Stages:
(these ones are actually random and not related to the characters)
Fatal Frame stage
...I honestly can't think of any others

involves absent ATs from 4/Ultimate now promoted to playable
Characters:
Skull Kid
Dillon
Saki Amamiya
Isaac

Stages:
Venus Lighthouse (Golden Sun)
Sin and Punishment stage
Dillon's Rolling Western stage
Part of me thinks I should replace Funky with Impa and rebrand update 4 into “Femme Fatales” and replace Dante in update 5 with either KOS-MOS or Crash Bandicoot. Thoughts?

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Been trying to get into Melee and Brawl again to pass the time for Ultimate but I ended up dropping them as I find them boring. Ended up going back to 64, and so I decided to try my hands at the original version of the game.

Gameplay and feel just as good as NA version, but you can clearly see that some characters (nearly all the characters are better in the original version lol) are better in this version. It’s fun. My dude Falcon is a slightly even bigger monster, the really insanity is in the form of 2 things though: Ness is so much better in this version it’s crazy, and my boy Weegee taking dat L and being bottom tier in both versions.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Since we still don't know what Robin's Final Smash is, I've been giving it some thought. I think it will still be Pair Up, but instead of Chrom it will either be Tharja, Cordelia, Frederick, or Morgan.

Although they would make the most canonical sense, Tharja and Morgan seem less likely though, considering their moves would be mostly too similar to Robin's moves. Personally, Cordelia would be my choice.
I doubt it'd be Frederick. He would be far more likely to assist Chrom than Robin, and considering he doesn't show up for Chrom, I'm not counting on him appearing at all beyond a trophy cameo which he should have gotten last time what the hell.

If Pair-Up is kept, I'm expecting Morgan to show up. Father-Daughter/Mother-Son combo attack.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Pair Up would most likely be the best course of action.

Robin literally invented the Pair Up tactic, at least in game. It suits him well to have it as a Final Smash.

Of course, there's also his skill Ignis, but...

I feel that Robin would be much better off with Pair Up.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Okay, checked the poll numbers, and Link somehow is first, with 17 votes (tied with Kirby without my vote though), while Fox is left with 4 votes. Link, Kirby, DK and Mario are the more popular picks, I see.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Pair Up would most likely be the best course of action.

Robin literally invented the Pair Up tactic, at least in game. It suits him well to have it as a Final Smash.

Of course, there's also his skill Ignis, but...

I feel that Robin would be much better off with Pair Up.
I also don't think we've seen many final smashes change that didn't need a change to fit the fast speed style they are in Ultimate. A couple like King Dedede's, but most that changed were to fit the change in style of final smashes. Robin's Pair Up from 4 is totally fine, just needs to swap out the character.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
I have absolutely no clue at this point--my powers of speculation are failing me.

If all the characters Verge said are what's left: One final Direct, with Incineroar, Ken, and the SE rep. If these are the characters, I'm betting on no more new stages. We delve into the single player mode (not called Spirits), we have a section on new modes, trophies, and Pokemon/items/assists, where a Creeper assist pops up. And--that's all I can think of.

My dream final direct:
Begins with Banjo & Kazooie, talks about their moves, stage with Gruntilda boss (her rhymes would be the codec replacements) and Mumbo Jumbo assist, all mirroring Simon's reveal. Echo fighters Ken and Shadow (okay, in my dream it would be Dixie and Shadow). Followed by the single player mode, that includes new stages, and this is where Minecraft pops up. We finally get a reveal of all 108 stages. Alt costumes are shown off, and there's a lot more than we expect, perhaps some bragging as to how many different combinations there are. New Pokemon/items/assists, and Incineroar pops up (okay in my dream along with Sceptile). Sakurai reveals the plans for DLC, and then has one more thing: Geno ends the Direct (I'll add in Boshi for Zinith). Seems so perfect, which is why it's not gonna happen.
It's not gonna begin with Banjo. If Banjo gets in he'd be at the end of the Direct.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I also don't think we've seen many final smashes change that didn't need a change to fit the fast speed style they are in Ultimate. A couple like King Dedede's, but most that changed were to fit the change in style of final smashes. Robin's Pair Up from 4 is totally fine, just needs to swap out the character.
Right, and that would be Morgan. Or a simple soldier from Awakening. But Morgan deserves a cameo, at least.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Okay, checked the poll numbers, and Link somehow is first, with 17 votes (tied with Kirby without my vote though), while Fox is left with 4 votes. Link, Kirby, DK and Mario are the more popular picks, I see.
Guessing it's people wanting to experience Link's new changes: has anyone else in the original 8 changed as much in Ultimate? As for Mario, he's a good all rounder character to familiarise yourself with, and DK and Kirby are popular in general.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Link is first because BOTW

ErenJager

Smash Champion
If Steve gets in, as some rumours suggest he may with the alleged Microsoft/ Minecraft content.

I imagine the result of that reveal would increase the demand for Banjo ten fold.

Soon as the gates to the west are opened we'll see demand for Rayman and Crash as well.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Robin will either pair up with Cordelia, Tharja, or Robin (the opposing gender of whom is in the fight)

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
It's not gonna begin with Banjo. If Banjo gets in he'd be at the end of the Direct.
While I think Banjo has what it takes to be a final reveal, my dream Direct (which is not a prediction) parallels the August Direct, beginning with a lengthy exposition involving characters, stage and assist, and the final reveal being "one last thing". I can see Geno coming without a stage (it would be better if he did), but I can't see Banjo coming without a stage, unless it's a simultaneous reveal with Minecraft, and Minecraft is the stage in the Microsoft "package". And Geno is often talked about within the trinity, so even though I feel like Banjo would appeal more to casual fans, the one last thing could be for the more hardcore fans. Who knows--I'll just be happy if he gets in at all at this point.

If Steve gets in, as some rumours suggest he may with the alleged Microsoft/ Minecraft content.

I imagine the result of that reveal would increase the demand for Banjo ten fold.

Soon as the gates to the west are opened we'll see demand for Rayman and Crash as well.
I think Banjo's demand since 2015 has been consistently high enough without the need for Minecraft to bump it up. It makes no sense to me to prioritize a multiplatform game with low character popularity to Banjo & Kazooie, with a history with Nintendo (owned by them at one point) and high character popularity since 2015. Anything's possible at this point, and I'm bracing myself. But even if we believe in the Hitagi rumors, Steve would be the DLC candidate.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I definitely find it possible for him to be among the last characters to be announced in December to commemorate his 20th anniversary.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
While I think Banjo has what it takes to be a final reveal, my dream Direct (which is not a prediction) parallels the August Direct, beginning with a lengthy exposition involving characters, stage and assist, and the final reveal being "one last thing". I can see Geno coming without a stage (it would be better if he did), but I can't see Banjo coming without a stage, unless it's a simultaneous reveal with Minecraft, and Minecraft is the stage in the Microsoft "package". And Geno is often talked about within the trinity, so even though I feel like Banjo would appeal more to casual fans, the one last thing could be for the more hardcore fans. Who knows--I'll just be happy if he gets in at all at this point.

I think Banjo's demand since 2015 has been consistently high enough without the need for Minecraft to bump it up. It makes no sense to me to prioritize a multiplatform game with low character popularity to Banjo & Kazooie, with a history with Nintendo (owned by them at one point) and high character popularity since 2015. Anything's possible at this point, and I'm bracing myself. But even if we believe in the Hitagi rumors, Steve would be the DLC candidate.
There's always bandwagons and clamouring for a character if they're perceived as being likely. With a minecraft reveal, the give us banjo mob will be reborn.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Robin will either pair up with Cordelia, Tharja, or Robin (the opposing gender of whom is in the fight)
But Morgan makes the most though. Parent/child duo and all that.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
No doubt Master Chief will see demand too.
I think it would be far less then Banjo though. Just given the nature of Nintendo fans and history with nintendo.

I think Master Chief, Doom Guy and Mortal Kombat wouldn't be as heard by the hoards of ppl demanding the likes of Banjo, Rayman and Crash...

I think if we get Steve playable (the first playable western owned IP) and there is only DLC left...

The new DLC requested trinity would become Banjo, Crash, Rayman.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
This: Banjo's a big enough deal with the fans that he'd be the last thing in a direct, and potentially the last reveal overall. And he'd be a good last reveal too - I don't have any investment in the character, but I don't really see how anyone could strongly object to Banjo unlike some other third-party choices who are more divisive.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Link is first because BOTW
I mean, I get that, but I thought everybody would be closer than what I'm seeing. That sparks the surprise for me.

Anyway, I'll be hunting down any new Ultimate content I can find now. See you all when I catch something good.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Oh come on, the most realistic person for Robin to pair up with would be...

Another Robin.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I definitely find it possible for him to be among the last characters to be announced in December to commemorate his 20th anniversary.
While it would be amazing to fit with the coincidental timing of Banjo-Kazooie's Japanese release, I feel like they wouldn't hold off a character that long given how likely leaks will be in November. That being said, the phrasing that they would reveal the "design of every fighter before the game launches" is a bit odd, and would technically be true with a day before release announcement. However, even if we assume it's DLC, I think it would be awkward to announce at the Game Awards, "You know that game you can play tomorrow? Here's a character you can't play then!"

Wait, what?

I guess he was in SEGA All-Stars Racing, but... I thought he was mostly popular with people who played N64.
It's subjective, but I'm going with my general feel of how people talk about Banjo outside of Smash speculation, and how people talk about him in it. From my experience, casual fans like the idea of Banjo but consider him impossible, whereas in Smash speculation most people consider it possible while not being as popular. And the reverse could be true--Geno being popular mainly with those who had an SNES (anecdotally, I had a SNES but never heard of Super Mario RPG in those days). But it's hard to speculate objectively outside of the hardcore Smash bubble, since polls and discussions tend to be biased towards more hardcore fans. I'm fine with it occuring either way, but that's been my perception having gone from the casual sphere to the hardcore sphere.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Since we still don't know what Robin's Final Smash is, I've been giving it some thought. I think it will still be Pair Up, but instead of Chrom it will either be Tharja, Cordelia, Frederick, or Morgan.

Although they would make the most canonical sense, Tharja and Morgan seem less likely though, considering their moves would be mostly too similar to Robin's moves. Personally, Cordelia would be my choice.
They don't have to be similar, Robin could easily take Chrom's place as the slasher while Tharja fires off the magical attacks like Robin used to.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Robin will absolutely pair up with Morgan.

Or maybe they kept chrom lol
Robin FS will lead him to very unusual situations.

He can call Chrom to beat up himself.
OR
He can call Chrom to beat up his daughter.

I think Robin will keep Pair Up, but it’ll be with someone else.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
WAIT ARE PEOPLE SAYING BANJO KAZOOIE IS POPULAR THAN ****ING MINECRAFT?!
Depends on the context...

Globally? No chance.
Within the smash fanbase? Well based on forums and social media, we can deduce it is a possibility.

I honestly don't see why we can't have both, still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom