• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Is there any reason to trust this Imran? Dude seems like a regular person making a guess to me.

Goes to show how desperate we are for something if we're latching on to this.
who is this "we"

I bet it's the vergeben collective you're talking about huh

I know you're part of it

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I imagine it would go akin to this:
"WHAT? WHO is this guy? ANOTHER anime character? I'd actually take that one chick that is a sword with boobs than this, GET HIM OUT!"
"Uggghhh! Smash Doesn't need anymore anime characters... Now Sakurai, please add this anime character."

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Is there any reason to trust this Imran? Dude seems like a regular person making a guess to me.

Hey now, it got me to meme classic Spiderman out of this; that alone gave me faith. :nifty:

Potato_

Smash Lord

He's had inside info in the past (hinted at Ridley along with a few other ResetEra guys) and has had some interesting comments about Ultimate in the past ("we should take Sakurai's comment about fewer newcomers more seriously", and posed the question if Sakurai even "wanted Geno" at all.)

Ultimately the comment about Vergeben is pretty pointless IMO, won't mean much in the long run even if he is right.

As to him knowing about Ridley, apparently all the ResetEra big names did (remember Jon also made some similar comments about Ridley) so I dunno if he's hugely in the know. Seems like nothing to really concern anyone over tbh.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
He's had inside info in the past (hinted at Ridley along with a few other ResetEra guys) and has had some interesting comments about Ultimate in the past ("we should take Sakurai's comment about fewer newcomers more seriously", and posed the question if Sakurai even "wanted Geno" at all.)

Ultimately the comment about Vergeben is pretty pointless IMO, won't mean much in the long run even if he is right.

As to him knowing about Ridley, apparently all the ResetEra big names did (remember Jon also made some similar comments about Ridley) so I dunno if he's hugely in the know.
Credible, and said "if Sakurai even "wanted Geno" at all."

So, just when I thought my night couldn't get worse, it didn't, god damn it I just want this puppet to come home

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Crash Bandicoot is a major character in TWEWY.

... I don't know, I just felt like I had to make the title extra clickbaity.
Wow, you're good at that... lol
The only anime characters we need are Team Rocket, Meowth, their 'mons, Ash-Greninja, and Lucario.
The only anime character we need is Cory Baxter
Please, I'm sorry...

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Hello I am Vergeben and I have some freshly baked leaks for y'all:

Mario will have an unlockable 7 Grand Dad skin, and Fred Flintstone will be our first cartoon character. We're also getting Wurmple, Waluigi, Tingle, Spider-Man, and Phil Swift.

Sakurai's Cat will be a boss; he's been a bad kitty and needs a spankin'.
Not a stretch. Grand Dad was already playable in Super Mario Odyssey -

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Imran questioning Sakurai wanting Geno is what get's me.

As if he'd know Sakurai or what he's thinking; plus, Sakurai has expressed interest in Geno, how he get's a lot of requests, and even went and got a mii costume for him, complete with a nice-looking version of his likeness and out-right slapped his name on a splash screen.

And I doubt he'd know what characters aren't in; play-testers don't get everything, I assume? SE seems very strict on leaks, Nintendo would be too, it seems like he'd have to hear word from a dev.

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
Credible, and said "if Sakurai even "wanted Geno" at all."

So, just when I thought my night couldn't get worse, it didn't, god damn it I just want this puppet to come home
Eh, I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. For Smash as far as I know Ridley is all he's hinted at, and apparently that was common knowledge amongst the ResetEra mods. The Geno thing could just be his own personal musings/speculation, as it seems he doesn't really have any other info.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

As to him knowing about Ridley, apparently all the ResetEra big names did (remember Jon also made some similar comments about Ridley) so I dunno if he's hugely in the know. Seems like nothing to really concern anyone over tbh.
And to add to that he's the senior editor of GameInformer, so he's not just some dude. Still, I don't think it changes much, since Verge's Smash leaks have been pretty consistent, but it's something interesting to note if true.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Could be possible Sakurai changed his mind about Geno. Wouldn't be the first that he's done that

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
So what's up with this Imran guy? Is he saying anything that should be taken seriously?

NineS

Smash Lord
Hmm, what is the first character he wanted to be in but couldn't??
For melee, these are characters he considered:
  • Takamaru
  • Mach Rider
  • Ayumi Tachibana
  • Banjo and Kazooie
  • James Bond
  • Balloon Fighter
  • Urban Champion
  • Bubbles
  • Excitebike
For Brawl
  • Villager
  • Nintendog
  • Blastoise (Pokemon Trainer)
  • Ridley
  • Pac-Man
  • Mii Fighters
  • Geno (Super Mario RPG)
And SSB4
  • Takamaru
  • Heihachi
  • Geno
Some of these might be wrong. I'm not entirely sure.
This is just looking at the ones considered, but never had content in the game to our knowledge, so technically aren't scrapped.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Could be possible Sakurai changed his mind about Geno. Wouldn't be the first that he's done that
I don't think it means much--could just be his opinion. I also didn't trust his "hints" in August, and he only recently came around to "correcting" that he wasn't referring to a Bandai Namco character in this tweet--which is bizarre. His notoriety should be taken seriously, but not everything he says may be correct/meaningful.

So what's up with this Imran guy? Is he saying anything that should be taken seriously?
Not really. Even if what he says about Verge is true, it doesn't mean much for Smash (it would explain why he's inconsistent in other areas).

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
who is this "we"

I bet it's the vergeben collective you're talking about huh

I know you're part of it
Caught me red handed. My entire purpose all along has been to make fun of fake leaks and promote Vergeben's leaks as truth.

I'm Vergeben, You're Vergeben, He/She Vergeben, Vergebenology, the study of Vergeben.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Hmm, what is the first character he wanted to be in but couldn't??
If you are talking about just considered characters, too many to mention...

But If you are talking about planned characters, well:
Bowser (Smash 64)
Dedede (Smash 64)
Mewtwo (Smash 64)
Marth (Smash 64)
Lucas (Melee)
Toon Zelda and Toon Sheik (Brawl)
Something called Pra Mai, possibly Plusle and Minun (Brawl)
Dixie Kong (Brawl)
Dr. Mario (Brawl)
Mewtwo (Brawl)
Roy (Brawl)
Alph (Smash 4)
Ice Climbers (Smash 4)
Rhythm Heaven Rep (Smash 4)

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I don't think it means much--could just be his opinion. I also didn't trust his "hints" in August, and he only recently came around to "correcting" that he wasn't referring to a Bandai Namco character in this tweet--which is bizarre. His notoriety should be taken seriously, but not everything he says may be correct/meaningful.

Not really. Even if what he says about Verge is true, it doesn't mean much for Smash (it would explain why he's inconsistent in other areas).
What's he saying about Vergeben?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Caught me red handed. My entire purpose all along has been to make fun of fake leaks and promote Vergeben's leaks as truth.

I'm Vergeben, You're Vergeben, He/She Vergeben, Vergebenology, the study of Vergeben.
You forgot one thing...

Vergeben is love, Vergeben is life.

D

Deleted member

For melee, these are characters he considered:
  • Takamaru
  • Mach Rider
  • Ayumi Tachibana
  • Banjo and Kazooie
  • James Bond
  • Balloon Fighter
  • Urban Champion
  • Bubbles
  • Excitebike
For Brawl
  • Villager
  • Nintendog
  • Blastoise (Pokemon Trainer)
  • Ridley
  • Pac-Man
  • Mii Fighters
  • Geno (Super Mario RPG)
And SSB4
  • Takamaru
  • Heihachi
  • Geno
Some of these might be wrong. I'm not entirely sure.
This is just looking at the ones considered, but never had content in the game to our knowledge, so technically aren't scrapped.
The only one that's worth of loss is James Bond. Y'all know you want to hear the Goldeneye Theme at a Grand Final now, and I do too.
Now I'm sad.

but for real Geno please make it in for god's sake

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
It would be the first time he's changed his mind in a negative direction that we've known of though.
It's not necessarily a "negative direction," unless you mean he wanted him and now doesn't. If anything it means Geno was considered but didn't make it like all of the characters in NineS NineS post above.
He's saying that Vergeben is a team of people instead of a single person.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
You're missing a few.

Melee:
Lucas
Snake
Sonic
Wario

Brawl:
Dixie Kong
Pulse & Minun
Tetra
Toon Zelda

Sm4sh:
Alph
Chrom
Rhythm Heaven character

You're also forgetting N64

N64:
Bowser
King Dedede
Marth
Mewtwo

I do wonder why Sakurai never planned King Dedede for Melee...

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
He said of Vergeben, "That's because 'he' is like six different people pulling rumors from eighteen different sources. " Later he elaborated, "I did some research into it when information that was previously only available in small circles got posted. Then I took note of when some other information that came to me from a source stopped coming from him as well. And then there were some things the account posted that were straight up wrong and I tracked down where they came from and who those people gave that information to."

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Geno wasn't considered for Smash4 right?

Didn't Sakurai went ONLY for Cloud as a desperation attempt after supposedly the failed Talk with Square During brawl for Geno?

He probably got the Mii costume as an afterthought

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
You're missing a few.

Melee:
Lucas
Sonic
Wario

Brawl:
Dixie Kong
Pulse & Minun
Tetra
Toon Zelda

Sm4sh:
Alph
Chrom
Rhythm Heaven character

You're also forgetting N64

N64:
Bowser
King Dedede
Marth
Mewtwo

I do wonder why Sakurai never planned King Dedede for Melee...
Oh yes, Thank you, Completely forgot about Snake and Sonic (BTW Pretty sure Toon Shiek wasn't Tetra, Just Toon Sheik)

D

Deleted member

Y'know, I seriouslly am wonder how a Smash game made for the GBA or DS would play like now that I thing about it. I'd imagine it be similar to playing 3DS Smash, just with a pixel graphic style.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Geno wasn't considered for Smash4 right?

Didn't Sakurai went ONLY for Cloud as a desperation attempt after supposedly the failed Talk with Square During brawl for Geno?

He probably got the Mii costume as an afterthought
Sounds like he did this so he could add Geno when he could.

Not to mention, the mii costume was after the ballot.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Wasn't Leif also considered for Melee?

I don't really have any opinions on Irman one way or the other, but it is probably his opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom