• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
Did they ever release the results of the ballot? I mean besides Bayonetta winning, of course.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Did they ever release the results of the ballot? I mean besides Bayonetta winning, of course.
At most, I think they revealed the specific places Bayonetta ranked in each region and globally. And I think that was also out of "possible" characters to.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I remember people being mad at that and saw it as Sakurai just covering them up as part of a conspiracy (Remember, the man is evil and likes to prevent your faves from making it in for kicks), but it makes the most sense now. If they revealed the results back then then they would have probably spoiled most of the newcomers this time around.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I haven't seen anyone bringing this up, but remember how Sakurai said that they would keep the rest of the ballot results as a sort of reference for a future entry? Well, they might have picked a few newcomers who were voted the most after Bayonetta and Cloud.
Cloud wasn’t added cause of the Ballot though, he was chosen because he was the most popular Final Fantasy rep if I’m not mistaken.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Wait, there was a thread dedicated to leaks pre-Smash 4?

I never knew that one.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The point I was trying to make was to piggyback off of Ryu Myuutsu Ryu Myuutsu cause he made a very good point. There was only one character chosen from that ballot. ****ing one. It’d be straight stupid to disregard the countless other votes for only one character to make it in. I think the ballot had a double standard and I think it was this game.
I think it was mentioned. I'll link the source once I find it.
Always happy to be proven wrong but I’m almost positive Bayonetta was the only ballot inclusion...

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Yeah he basically gave us cloud cause many square/final fantasy characters were requested so added together I think that "won". I think Bayo "won" or was very high up in the european polls and placed like top 10-5 in north america/japan.

I'm cool with Bayo (was very mad at corrin for many reasons but i wont get into that) but i never saw her as the "winner" and that was frustrating BUT now that we know we are getting this smash switch game it seems all to apparent that their plan from the ballot onward was to choose not just the final few DLC characters but characters for this next smash game, some that may have beaten bayo even significantly but were better left for the next smash for various reasons.

I don't want to get my hopes up but I really think all signs are pointing towards a really good roster this time with many fan favorites finally getting in.

D

Deleted member

Cloud wasn’t added cause of the Ballot though, he was chosen because he was the most popular Final Fantasy rep if I’m not mistaken.
It was because his votes took up a quarter to a third of the votes requesting for a Final Fantasy character.

Sakurai: This isn’t an exact number, but among the requests for a Final Fantasy character to appear in Smash, around ¼ to ⅓ of the requests we got from fans were for Cloud. [TN1] I really wanted to answer the desires of those fans, and even though I thought it would be impossible, I reached out anyway, just to try.
https://sourcegaming.info/2016/01/20/sakurai-x-nomura-creator-interview-2016-part-one/

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Smash 4 newcomers may have been defined by relevancy and while I still think it will play a part in Smash 5, I ultimately think that Sakurai is going to take inspiration from the Fighter Ballot for his picks.
We could have some characters that appeal only to the U.S, Japan, Europe, or all of the above (worldwide) based on results.
That would be WAY too predictable, though.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It was because his votes took up a quarter to a third of the votes requesting for a Final Fantasy character.

https://sourcegaming.info/2016/01/20/sakurai-x-nomura-creator-interview-2016-part-one/
Right, that’s the interview I remembered but it was only evident towards requests and not necessarily towards the ballot. Plenty of requests go through without the need of the ballot and by this point they would’ve easily mentioned the ballot here. Since the made such a big deal about where Bayonetta placed in the ballot I figure they would do that to any newcomer that was added due to the ballot.

Edit: just had that thing where I said ballot so much that now it doesn’t sound like a real ****in word...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I mage an image of the smash fans who want newcomers in a nutshell ( I put the Inkling on the side because she is guaranteed ).
It looks a little sloppy but I tried. :p
10 - Copy (2).PNG

Off-Topic:
That is why I love Sakurai. I am now curious why Sakurai wanted to reach out to the Final Fantasy fans, was he just curious? Either way, this shows Sakurai does listen to fans about a character they want. People need to appreciate Sakurai more. He puts the time and health into these games, so we should constantly praise him. He may not add Ridley, but just appreciate we are getting Smash in Switch, and the fact that he made six ( counting 3DS ) Smash Brothers games.[/SPOILER]

Last edited by a moderator:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
we got a leak thread/group yet? I need me some fake leaks
Ok, this fake leak is just lit
IMG_20180314_125445.jpg

In terms of characters, I just want Shulk and Marth to return. I'm not going to get my expectations high and probably be disappointed. I'd like to see Megaman return, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

For newcomers, I'm keeping myself relatively tame. Rex and Pyhrra, Spring Man, Takamaru, Travis Touchdown, Celica/FE16 Protagonist, and maybe more. I'd need to think. My third party picks (minus Travis) likely won't happen, like Sora, Agnes, Neku, Crash, Shovel Knight, and/or Doom Guy. I'll make a mock roster later to compose my thoughts, but that's what I would like to see.
As for now my only wish character is well.. Rex... And besides Oyra/Mythra he will have other blades as well to provide him different move sets.
I don't think 8-player Smash will influence Ice Climbers' return this time. We're not being held back by the limitations of the 3DS (thank god).
IT'S TIME TO STOP.
Shouldn't be this gif that fits better? Or at least more funny:

I made a ridiculous Smash 5 dream 90 characters roster:

Man, speculation has begun.
As what I have speculate Rex won't just be Pyra. And much like Brawl's Pokemon Trainer.... It will be Rex + Pyra/Mythra+other two Blades. The character name will be just "REX".

Yeah, my quotes are from way back... Because again, this thread is going like a high speed railway...

Last edited:

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
so a ridley leak huh? i hope it turns out to be real cause i want ridley haters to eat their own words.

I haven't seen anyone bringing this up, but remember how Sakurai said that they would keep the rest of the ballot results as a sort of reference for a future entry? Well, they might have picked a few newcomers who were voted the most after Bayonetta and Cloud.
when did he say that?

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Might want to take a gander at Mii costumes.
Some could offer clues to high ballot placers and/or potential newcomers dancing in Sakurai's head.

Mii Outfits

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Sakurai briefly discussing Cloud: https://sourcegaming.info/2016/01/20/sakurai-x-nomura-creator-interview-2016-part-one/

Sakurai: "This isn’t an exact number, but among the requests for a Final Fantasy character to appear in Smash, around ¼ to ⅓ of the requests we got from fans were for Cloud. [TN1] I really wanted to answer the desires of those fans, and even though I thought it would be impossible, I reached out anyway, just to try."

For some reason I always thought he was talking about the ballot but he just says that they got requests for a Final Fantasy character without specifically mentioning from where. The timing perhaps had me thinking that it was the ballot but that was probably not the case.
One thing is for certain, that Cloud was definitely the most popular choice for a FF character to appear. Sorry those who were asking for Chocobos and Black Mage just because of their association with Nintendo but the majority spoke.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Raccoons are closer to bears than rats.
This isn't true.
I remember people being mad at that and saw it as Sakurai just covering them up as part of a conspiracy (Remember, the man is evil and likes to prevent your faves from making it in for kicks), but it makes the most sense now. If they revealed the results back then then they would have probably spoiled most of the newcomers this time around.
Also, the poll explicitly said it would be used for future games, Smash and otherwise.

So we have every reason to think that it was used as an overall Nintendo poll.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Using mii costume as ideas for future characters?

Give me Ashley and Viridi then.
Ashley would be dope, but I doubt Kid Icarus is getting anything in this Smash unless Sakurai knows something we don't There's so much new Kid Icarus stuff in Smash 4 between characters and items. Also some of the references such as setting a difficulty

Thinking about setting difficulty makes me want to play Kid Icarus Uprising again, what a great game

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
This thread moves lighting fast.
Also why is Rosalina called Lighting in that one leak?

Smash makes it fun to enjoy characters. I tend to like most characters that I have seen at all elsewise.
And then when I don't know much about half of them it makes me feel so underplayed in my gaming experiences.

I think a lot of people in this thread blocked me because of my outspoken response to ARMS...

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I do think there is some merit to looking at Mii Fighter costumes for potential characters.

• I̶n̶k̶l̶i̶n̶g̶
  • Isabelle
  • K.Rool
  • Chrom
  • Lloyd
  • K.K Slider
  • Toad
  • Viridi
  • Monster Hunter
  • Geno
  • Takamaru
  • Ashley
  • Knuckles and Tail (a man can dream)

D

Deleted member

.....don't remind me.

I absolutely HATE fighting Cloud
Fighting Cloud is really easy usually, considering I know him the back of my head and he is my main.
Here is a good tip for fighting Cloud: Be patient and nudge him off the stage. Cloud mains are reckless and impulsive, so try to act defensive.
However, there is only one character I hate fighting, and that is :4bayonetta:. I hate fighting Bayonetta more than any other character combined.
I still want Bayonneta in smash, it is just man she is so hard to fight. She takes much more patience fighting than any other character in the game, so that is one thing that is hard about her.
Ashley would be dope, but I doubt Kid Icarus is getting anything in this Smash unless Sakurai knows something we don't There's so much new Kid Icarus stuff in Smash 4 between characters and items. Also some of the references such as setting a difficulty

Thinking about setting difficulty makes me want to play Kid Icarus Uprising again, what a great game
Kid Icarus just needs a new game and it's chances for a character increases. Ashely would be a nice roster to join, as using those dark powers would be fun, but Waluigi would be a much better choice for a "Wario" type of character. Then again Ashely is more notable than Waluigi in the Warioware but still: Waluigi is #1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom