• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I didn't know how badly I wanted those until just now.

I'd buy a Wario & Waluigi game in a heartbeat. I don't even care what genre it is.

Even/especially a Senran Kagura style game.
I always thought 1-2 switch should have been a Wario Ware game instead.

It would have sold much better, and almost guaranteed to have gotten a better response.

But then again, Wario Ware is full of quick games with quick explanations. And I have literally finish a phone call before some of the 1-2 switch games were finished explaining the rules.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I think this can happen just look at Pokémon Trainer back in Brawl.

And maybe not B, but I think :GCDpad: will be the button that Switch blades, just like in the game, it is that you can switch between Pyra and Mythra without cool down, but switching to other blades you do.
But I know, I also hope you can also have an option to use only one Blade in a match... For competitive Smash wise.
But how will we taunt?

Luminario

Smash Lord
To see if we can get a new subject, what new gen 7 pokemon would make good pokeball pokemon?
I think Popplio would be a good one to spew bubbles that hang in the air and slow people down that touch them, I can also see Alolan Vulpix/Ninetales to appear and use Blizzard/Snow Warning ability to create a large whirl of snow. Also Alolan Dugtrio to use sand tomb that sucks in grounded opponents around it.
I still cannot say Poipole without smiling. What is that accent? That one when people who say "purple" instead say "poipole?"
Wasn't it a Boston accent?

You know, I haven't actually seen that much about Ashley's chances on here until just then. I'm surprised because she seems to be one of the more likelier characters to be added: what with being an AT, Mii Fighter outfit, clear popularity, good moveset potential, and relevancy from both the Wii U game and the 3DS game that's coming soon.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

And maybe not B, but I think :GCDpad: will be the button that Switch blades, just like in the game, it is that you can switch between Pyra and Mythra without cool down, but switching to other blades you do.
But I know, I also hope you can also have an option to use only one Blade in a match... For competitive Smash wise.
I'm sure sideways Joycon will be a way to play the game, and so that button won't even exist all the time. Not sure if that's the way.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."

Nah, you'd have to dedicated blade switching to a B button. Doing it on the D-Pad will mean that it'll be significantly more difficult for certain types of controllers.

Imagine using the Wiimote (hypothetically) and having to move your right thumb from the attack buttons to press A and a direction to change blades; it's extremely unintuitive.

D

Deleted member

You know, Sakurai seemed "firm" with the idea of not adding Ridley though. Sakurai said that he would not be "Ridley would not be able to fly freely" and that he would not be "Ridley" because of his size.
But on the other hand, Sakurai can change his mind and I have seen good mods on Ridley's size as well as the Smash size being "weird".

I do think Ridley is too big but I would want him as well.
~If he gets in the game, I have to lick a Ridley statue or toy. I am sorry~
Someone help my precious body, I am confused.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
You know, I haven't actually seen that much about Ashley's chances on here until just then. I'm surprised because she seems to be one of the more likelier characters to be added: what with being an AT, Mii Fighter outfit, clear popularity, good moveset potential, and relevancy from both the Wii U game and the 3DS game that's coming soon.
I really like Ashley's design. She's adorable! I also hear she's really popular in Japan which is why we don't hear so much about her on english forums. I think a lot of what is driving her popularity comes from the Japanese fans.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
You know, Sakurai seemed "firm" with the idea of not adding Ridley though. Sakurai said that he would not be "Ridley would not be able to fly freely" and that he would not be "Ridley" because of his size.
But on the other hand, Sakurai can change his mind and I have seen good mods on Ridley's size as well as the Smash size being "weird".

You know, I'm the furry here but you are into some weird ass stuff.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Just like how this monstrosity was a way to play Brawl.

Yuck.
When Brawl first came out and we only had 2 gamecube controllers, guess how I learned to play the game... It was actually my PREFERENCE for a little while... I'm glad I've escaped that.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

I need to point out that it's not likely that it was his size alone that kept him out of Smash, but his proportions. His wings are ****ing huge compared to the rest of him and would make his hit box weird even if he was shrunken down. Not to mention his arms or head compared to his body. Being too big is really just a meme. His proportions is what really strikes me as convoluted to make work.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
When Brawl first came out and we only had 2 gamecube controllers, guess how I learned to play the game... It was actually my PREFERENCE for a little while... I'm glad I've escaped that.
A step up but still weird is the wiimote/nunchuck combo. Thank goodness for Wavebirds. The Wii just was not made to play Smash with its default controllers.

D

Deleted member

You know, I'm the furry here and you are into some weird *** stuff.
I am not attracted to Ridley or anything.

Yuck.
Indeed. Use a Pro Controller or GC Controller for Smash Brothers instead, trust me it is so much better. I am sure that Nintendo will find a way to USB your way with a GC Controller in Smash Brothers, but can you use the Wii U Adapter for the Nintendo Switch? I hope so, and it seems positive. Sakurai did make his way to make the GC Controller possible for Smash Brothers.
I need to point out that it's not likely that it was his size alone that kept him out of Smash, but his proportions. His wings are ****ing huge compared to the rest of him and would make his hit box weird even if he was shrunken down. Not to mention his arms or head compared to his body. Being too big is really just a meme. His proportions is what really strikes me as convoluted to make work.
That honestly works much better than "too big". Good job, NonSpecificGuy. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

Yuck.
You at least have an analogue stick to make tilts possible. There's also enough buttons to accomplish everything (standard and special attacks, jump, shield, grab and pause. If you don't use two buttons for jump you can even use one for taunt). Plus the shoulder buttons will make things easier, rather than reaching inwards ona wiimote.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
While it may not be ideal, I'd imagine his wings just don't have hurtboxes and have practically no effect gameplay-wise aside from flapping them to jump and occasionally attack. Doesn't make much sense otherwise really.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
All hail Proteus Ridley and his balanced proportions!

I am not attracted to Ridley or anything.
You are not convincing anyone at this stage :joyful:

Can't believe my 100th post was joking about a sexual attraction to Ridley...

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I'm sure sideways Joycon will be a way to play the game, and so that button won't even exist all the time. Not sure if that's the way.
Oh yeah, if that's the case then I agree that probably neutral special will be the way or..

You can only go with one Blade if you play with one sided joy con.... Which it doesn't really effect Rex's character, I guess. That said, yeah, I think making Rex's as a character work will be really tricky.
Nah, you'd have to dedicated blade switching to a B button. Doing it on the D-Pad will mean that it'll be significantly more difficult for certain types of controllers
Two joy con, and pro will be okay, problem is with only one joy con... That can be a problem..

But then again, with one sided joy con also means that you can't do quick grabs because it lacks ZR and ZL buttons.... So unless you play casually, playing Smash with one sided controller competitively was never a good idea, it still works but not the best.
But how will we taunt?
This means the left directional button will be Rex's only taunt button... The left was supposed to be the button to call your allies to focus on the enemy you are locking on in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 .

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
You at least have an analogue stick to make tilts possible. There's also enough buttons to accomplish everything (standard and special attacks, jump, shield and grab. If you don't use two buttons for jump you can even use one for taunt). Plus the shoulder buttons will make things easier, rather than reaching inwards ona wiimote.
Oh yeah, I didn't even think of tilts. I usually map tilts to the second analogue stick of my Pro Controller or the GC C-Stick.

A single JoyCon is possible, but as with pretty much everything, not preferable.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I do think there is some merit to looking at Mii Fighter costumes for potential characters.

• I̶n̶k̶l̶i̶n̶g̶
  • Isabelle
  • K.Rool
  • Chrom
  • Lloyd
  • K.K Slider
  • Toad
  • Viridi
  • Monster Hunter
  • Geno
  • Takamaru
  • Ashley
  • Knuckles and Tail (a man can dream)
It could be an indication of who was requested most in the smash ballot.
Which may reflect upon some of the newcomer choices for Smash Switch.
There definitely are some solidly popular choices there...

D

Deleted member

We'll get a few newcomers from the Ballot but most will be from him.
Honestly, we'll be lucky if we get a newcomer from the ballot that isn't the Inklings. I'm under the expectations that they'll add Inklings as the ballot runner-up and no one else.
I missed a Ridley leak!?!?
Seriously we do need a leak group again. It was my favorite part of Smash boards.
...should we start one?

You don't recognize me! I guess I'll need to capture ya.
Absolutely not. If there's a convincing case, we might (and that's a big if) make a thread for a credible leak but a full on leak social forum will never happen again. This is someone who ran the Gematsu thread so I know what I'm talking about when I say that "credible" leaks, true or false, opens a worm of can matched by nothing else.
Alright then...so I see this leak has gained more credibility. This is pretty interesting news to say the least.

Now, I'll be the first one to say that we should celebrate with hype. Ridley is a big deal to a lot of fans, and if he's in this could be a pretty damn big turning point in speculation for Smash as a series. Nobody seems to have ever been so desired by fans moreso than Ridley.

But please...and this may be why I'm considered the "Old Man" around these parts (at least I'm commonly called Old Man Jones from the Wii U days)...it may also be because after working with teenagers on a daily basis, as a teacher (and as a teacher, also a role model, counselor, etc) it absolutely breaks my heart to see people get upset over things they're disappointed by...please be sure to not take any of this at face value. If you convince yourselves now that there's no way this is untrue, and it turns out to be untrue, there's going to be a whole lot of hurt around here.

I'd hate to see something like that happen...again.

Nevertheless, I'm excited! Just, again, stay the course and take it with a grain of salt until we see undeniable proof (otherwise known as gameplay footage with UI and everything...ESRB leak type stuff)
I'd argue Sonic was more highly requested than Ridley. Mewtwo and Mega Man too. Still, he's definitely among the Top 5 most wanted characters in history.

Most noteworthy is that if Ridley is in (and this is a big if and relies entirely on this leak being true) then I think the roster will look different than say a roster without Ridley.
The claims are still out there, from multiple higher-ups at resetera, they just didn't come from Ryce. Seemingly he believes them though.

I imagine they didn't want any of this spread at all.
This. I'm still surprised the Ridley leak has been as contained as it is.
So here's how things stand now. Ryce didn't hear anything directly, he was working off what others had heard. Who knows what Emily has or hasn't heard, her comments aren't public to my knowledge.

So some staff at resetera heard about Ridley, clearly some other notable staff believe them, but no one explicitly has said anything publicly. Just a couple "hints" and, ostensibly, some comments that weren't meant to be spread.

Also memoryman is probably in trouble.
By trouble, are you implying that memoryman may be in trouble with Ryce/people potentially leaking information about Ridley or something else all together? Last time I checked, he was the butt in joke of the Smash community because of his Daisy obsession.

D

Deleted member

When you switch them in they'll say "Think yew can take ME?"
That's the only taunt a Xenoblade 2 character needs.
I am going to be a Rex main next game and spam that taunt to annoy my opponents in For Glory now. :troll:
Seriously, I want that taunt so bad. That taunt is probably S tier out of all taunts.
You are not convincing anyone at this stage :joyful:
You really think I am attracted to Ridley? :glare:
I do not actually want to lick him, I want to do it for the memes.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Sideways joy con is in every way superior to sideways wii remote. Don't need tap jump, can use tilts, has shoulder buttons, etc. That being said, it is missing the D Pad so rip taunts.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
You know what the worst part of Ridley being in Smash?

That Ridley Jr. meme will be more than relevant with all the Ridley x Samus teasing.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Oh yeah, I didn't even think of tilts. I usually map tilts to the second analogue stick of my Pro Controller or the GC C-Stick.

A single JoyCon is possible, but as with pretty much everything, not preferable.
Pretty much. I don't see anyone choosing it when they have another option but I think it would be good for people quickly setting up multiplayer matches, like how the single joycon is often shown off.

Plus if 8-player smash returns, sharing the joycons would be an easy way to provide enough controllers.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Transformations by clicking the left stick could work. Surprised no one brought that up yet. I'd be fine with that since it would allow the characters to each have a full set of special moves and taunts.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Transformations by clicking the left stick could work. Surprised no one brought that up yet. I'd be fine with that since it would allow the characters to each have a full set of special moves and taunts.
But you can't click the GC controller sticks.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
You know what the worst part of Ridley being in Smash?

That Ridley Jr. meme will be more than relevant with all the Ridley x Samus teasing.
No, just no.

The less we speak of that abomination, the better.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
On that note, would someone explain why Transformations seem to be frowned upon post-Brawl? I'm having a difficult time understanding why, considering it made characters like Zelda/Sheik, Samus/Zero Suit Samus, and the Pokemon Trainer (as much of a cluster**** he was) unique.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I would say that could work, but gamecube controllers are inevitably going to work for this, and they cannot do that. They could map the same function somewhere else, but where? Every character has a full set of taunts on D Pad and every other button has a function.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
You guys wanna have fun blasting a fake leak to pieces? A friend of mine found this while he was scrolling through archives of /vg/ on 4chan:

http://boards.4chan.org/vg/thread/208373047/smash-switch-leaks

NSFW warning btw, there's some cursing in the beginning of the post if people don't like that.

As much as I'd love for any of this to be true, I'm positive it won't be. Details are too specific imo, but that Wolf Down B sounds pretty cool.
This site literally has 100's of smash leaks.
Just someone random posting walls of text.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
When you switch them in they'll say "Think yew can take ME?"
That's the only taunt a Xenoblade 2 character needs.
Do even know who said that in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Lol

Those Ardainian soldiers...
I actually hope they can be assist trophies, you can call them and they will say" THINK YOU CAN TAKE ME? "While beating the **** out of you.

Actually not really, I hope Brighid & Morag can be an assist trophy ...
No wait... Much like Rex, now I want them to be a playable character as well...
If Fire Emblem can have a lot of new characters all of sudden why not Xenoblade?
My hope for Rex taunt.. Eh, not much. Since he doesn't say anything catchy like Shulk...
I am going to be a Rex main next game and spam that taunt to annoy my opponents in For Glory now. :troll:
Seriously, I want that taunt so bad. That taunt is probably S tier out of all taunts.
Well, spoiler alert, Rex wasn't even the one who say that in the game, lol.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Transformations by clicking the left suck could work. Surprised no one brought that up yet. I'd be fine with that since it would allow the characters to each have a full set of special moves and taunts.
Transformations by clicking the left suck could work.
'left suck'
:thinking:

Also someone mentioned Memoryman... I recall seeing his name pop up in a CoD game of all places. I was tempted to ask him about Daisy, but I decided not in case it was a coincidence it was the same name. The guy is a legend in my eyes tbh, because his toxicity spread from Smashbaords to Miiverse, Reddit and as I recall, he got called out in the youtube comments on a Smash video for being a toxic Daisy supporter.

Good times :laugh:

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
But you can't click the GC controller sticks.
Good point. To be honest I was never all about the transformation gimmick but if people want it to come back then there's probably a way to appease both sides.
On that note, would someone explain why Transformations seem to be frowned upon post-Brawl? I'm having a difficult time understanding why, considering it made characters like Zelda/Sheik, Samus/Zero Suit Samus, and the Pokemon Trainer (as ****ty as he was) unique.
I was never a fan of it because I felt it was wasteful to make it the down special. If there's a way around that them I'm fine with it.
I would say that could work, but gamecube controllers are inevitably going to work for this, and they cannot do that. They could map the same function somewhere else, but where? Every character has a full set of taunts on D Pad and every other button has a function.
The X or Y button could be changed since they both jump but I don't that would ever happen.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
On that note, would someone explain why Transformations seem to be frowned upon post-Brawl? I'm having a difficult time understanding why, considering it made characters like Zelda/Sheik, Samus/Zero Suit Samus, and the Pokemon Trainer (as ****ty as he was) unique.
Because most people just end up playing one character (usually the better one), making the transformation unused.

This is pretty much the problem for Zelda/Sheik. Only time I'd see anyone transform at higher skill levels was to use Zelda's recovery. With Samus/ZSS, outside of using final smashes, I doubt many actually knew how to switch between them. Pokemon Trainer also had the forced switching and stamina mechanic, which made it annoying for people who wanted to just play one character and the need to transform often left them vulnerable. Plus Smash isn't something like KoF or DBFZ, why try to learn 3 characters when most people can dedicate their time to one?

EDIT: Since transformations are generally a more casual thing to be enjoyed, what if transformation could be a custom move? So keep Zelda and Sheik seperate with their SSB4 down Bs but give them transformation as a custom move. That way people who want it back can have it but it doesn't act as a hinderance to people who don't.

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Do even know who said that in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Lol

Those Ardainian soldiers...
I actually hope they can be assist trophies, you can call them and they will say" THINK YOU CAN TAKE ME? "While beating the **** out of you.

Actually not really, I hope Brighid & Morag can be an assist trophy ...
No wait... Much like Rex, now I want them to be a playable character as well...
If Fire Emblem can have a lot of new characters all of sudden why not Xenoblade?
My hope for Rex taunt.. Eh, not much. Since he doesn't say anything catchy like Shulk...

Well, spoiler alert, Rex wasn't even the one who say that in the game, lol.
Kinda ironic considering that the other phrase that they shout is "DON'T FORGET ME!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom