• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Absolutely not. If there's a convincing case, we might (and that's a big if) make a thread for a credible leak but a full on leak social forum will never happen again. This is someone who ran the Gematsu thread so I know what I'm talking about when I say that "credible" leaks, true or false, opens a worm of can matched by nothing else.
Am I blanking on a controversy from the Leaks group to which people seem to keep alluding?
I honestly remember it being a fun group of people who made the Smash group more fun.

...I also didn't think private groups were openly rejected.

Not trying to start any argument, I seem to be missing information.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I was never a fan of it because I felt it was wasteful to make it the down special. If there's a way around that them I'm fine with it.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of how Transformations were performed either (trying to get the Zero Suit Samus trophy in Brawl was a pain in the ***), but I'm talking about how most seem to despite the concept in general.

idk it just felt... off seeing Zelda and Sheik getting separate roster slots when they shared a single slot for two games in a row prior.

If someone could provide some insight that'd be great.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Am I blanking on a controversy from the Leaks group to which people seem to keep alluding?
I honestly remember it being a fun group of people who made the Smash group more fun.

Things got toxic af very, very quickly, and whenever things seemed to die down a little, there was always something or someone set people off again.

By the time of the group's demise, the Leaks group had devolved from leaks discussion to 'lets flame argue with each other about unrelated things because why not?!'

I didn't have a problem with the unrelated topics part, but the arguing and toxicity got way out of hand than it needed to.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
How toxic are we meaning, fights over the validity of the leaks and character choices?

Luminario

Smash Lord
On that note, would someone explain why Transformations seem to be frowned upon post-Brawl? I'm having a difficult time understanding why, considering it made characters like Zelda/Sheik, Samus/Zero Suit Samus, and the Pokemon Trainer (as much of a cluster**** he was) unique.
Sometimes.... gimmicks that are overly unique.... are worse.
It just wasn't that fun having them around. They were always balanced off of each other and one character usually got ****ed over, so removing the transforming mechanic allowed them to shine better (in theory anyway). When picking a character you usually just wanna play that character, which meant the transformation move limited you as you played. Some unique mechanics just aren't that fun (I'm looking at you too, Robin).

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Is that anymore true than with the rest of the board? I see that with every thread.

This was the private leaks group, yes?

Maybe I don't read responses to be as seriously as others do...

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Do even know who said that in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Lol

Those Ardainian soldiers...
I actually hope they can be assist trophies, you can call them and they will say" THINK YOU CAN TAKE ME? "While beating the **** out of you.

Actually not really, I hope Brighid & Morag can be an assist trophy ...
No wait... Much like Rex, now I want them to be a playable character as well...
If Fire Emblem can have a lot of new characters all of sudden why not Xenoblade?
My hope for Rex taunt.. Eh, not much. Since he doesn't say anything catchy like Shulk...

Well, spoiler alert, Rex wasn't even the one who say that in the game, lol.
I've played through the entire game. And I'm even in the process of playing it again right now haha
Shulk also doesn't say "Now it's Shulk time" ever. The joke is that it's a reference to Reyn's line.

Because most people just end up playing one character (usually the better one), making the transformation unused.

This is pretty much the problem for Zelda/Sheik. Only time I'd see anyone transform at higher skill levels was to use Zelda's recovery. With Samus/ZSS, outside of using final smashes, I doubt many actually knew how to switch between them. Pokemon Trainer also had the forced switching and stamina mechanic, which made it annoying for people who wanted to just play one character and the need to transform often left them vulnerable. Plus Smash isn't something like KoF or DBFZ, why try to learn 3 characters when most people can dedicate their time to one?

EDIT: Since transformations are generally a more casual thing to be enjoyed, what if transformation could be a custom move? So keep Zelda and Sheik seperate with their SSB4 down Bs but give them transformation as a custom move. That way people who want it back can have it but it doesn't act as a hinderance to people who don't.
It was used more in Brawl kinda. But in Brawl Sheik and Zelda were both bad instead of just Zelda, so...yeah.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of how Transformations were performed either (trying to get the Zero Suit Samus trophy in Brawl was a pain in the ***), but I'm talking about how most seem to despite the concept in general.

idk it just felt... off seeing Zelda and Sheik getting separate roster slots when they shared a single slot for two games in a row prior.

If someone could provide some insight that'd be great.
Well the reason they got changed was because of 3DS. But, as was said earlier, people mostly wanted to play Sheik OR Zelda, Squirtle OR Ivysaur OR Charizard. Pokemon Trainer also came with some dumb stamina mechanic attached. And then people who didn't use the Smash Ball, it was confusing figuring out how to play ZSS. Separating them also gives them an additional move and helps define their own identity rather than being that character attached to that other character.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
How toxic are we meaning, fights over the validity of the leaks and character choices?
It became a circle jerk over certain users and their opinions and anyone with a differing opinion was mocked and basically told to shut up and get lost.

At least that's what I noticed.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Well the reason they got changed was because of 3DS. But, as was said earlier, people mostly wanted to play Sheik OR Zelda, Squirtle OR Ivysaur OR Charizard. Pokemon Trainer also came with some dumb stamina mechanic attached. And then people who didn't use the Smash Ball, it was confusing figuring out how to play ZSS. Separating them also gives them an additional move and helps define their own identity rather than being that character attached to that other character.
If that is the case, wouldn't mapping Transformations to their own specific input, such as holding the taunt button for an extended period of time, fix most of those issues? I agree there are some who'd probably exclusively play as Zelda or Sheik, or Samus or Zero Suit Samus, but would it hurt to still have the option available?

ErenJager

Smash Champion
It became a circle jerk over certain users and their opinions and anyone with a differing opinion was mocked and basically told to shut up and get lost.

At least that's what I noticed.
It wasn't really a circle jerk, it was more of an elephant walk.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
If that is the case, wouldn't mapping Transformations to their own specific input, such as holding the taunt button for an extended period of time, fix most of those issues? I agree there are some who'd probably exclusively play as Zelda or Sheik, or Samus or Zero Suit Samus, but would it hurt to still have the option available?
I mean that could be a reasonable option going forward, but it wasn't even an option for Wii U/3DS due to 3DS. I would prefer they just stayed separated as a whole, but if Sakurai really wants to bring it back, I think that would probably be the best way.

D

Deleted member

For transparency's sake, no one has found the supposed claims Emily made, we're just going off memoryman's word for that. Not that he's a liar, and the other three peoples' claims seems to have been proven existent, but still.

I'm given to understand they might've been in a private conversation among the staff at Resetera.
I'm going to assume that she didn't say anything unless proven otherwise. The Ridley leak discussion should solely focus on what we can prove someone said.

The thread devolved into pointing arguments and flaming over differing opinions. The moderators who experienced the thread can tell you that it was a horrible experience modding on top of people getting up in arms over literally everything. I haven't seen a circlejerk worse than that group. Leak threads are already volatile enough. A leak forum is putting thousands of gallons of gasoline into a firestorm.

D

Deleted member

Ridley leak has got some traction I seriously don't if I believe it and seems like misinformation but we'll see. Soon enough Ridley deserves to be in his fans have waited long enough. But Sakurai made his stance clear long ago so doubt he will be in. We'll see.

andimidna

Smash Master
Ok I know it wasn’t brought up as a serious idea but now I’m in love with the concept of Veronica as a summoner hhh why do I have to love so many fire emblem characters

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Ok I know it wasn’t brought up as a serious idea but now I’m in love with the concept of Veronica as a summoner hhh why do I have to love so many fire emblem characters
That has kinda been the point of Fire Emblem though: to have a wide variety of interesting and loveable characters. Unfortunately that is problematic when trying to narrow that down to a small roster.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
OH MY ****ING GOD, I JUST FOUND RIDLEY JR. I WANT TO DIE.

I CLEARLY LEARNED ALL I NEEDED TO LEARN BUT I KEPT GOING ANYWAY.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
That has kinda been the point of Fire Emblem though: to have a wide variety of interesting and loveable characters. Unfortunately that is problematic when trying to narrow that down to a small roster.
Fire Emblem does have a lot of interesting characters... it's just almost none of the main characters are interesting :troll:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Tipping too much in the Social thread/spam direction. Heads up that the obvious will happen if it continues.

It's all fun and games until the brain bleach needs to be busted out.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I've played through the entire game. And I'm even in the process of playing it again right now haha
Shulk also doesn't say "Now it's Shulk time" ever. The joke is that it's a reference to Reyn's line.
I'm over 350 hours.... And still at chapter 6....

But that's from Reyn which is a party member of Shulk... I don't think Rex will say a quote from a mere Ardainian soldier. Maybe from Nia, and Zeke perhaps?
Since Zeke also tend to say Shulk "I'm really feeling it" I won't be surprised if we hear that from Rex as well.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Nope, Mario:

http://www.smashbros.com/wii/en_us/items/assist/assist14.html

Waluigi hasn't been in a WarioWare game so this makes sense. It's stupid, but it makes sense.
I'd love for him to have like a tennis racket symbol and represent mario sports games, maybe daisy as DLC with the same symbol and have captain toad as the mario newcomer.

I know thats a lot of characters for what would generally be seen as the mario series and i dont exactly expect it but those are the three characters i feel are missing from mario and waluigi and daisy are really more associated with mario spin off games.

I do think at least one assist trophy will pull a "little mac" and my guess is either takamaru as a retro rep or waluigi as a mario sports game rep (fits with the new mario tennis anyway, thats where waluigi began and he even uses a tennis racket as an assist trophy). Sakurai mentioned him in the context of not being playable which makes me feel he was thought of but he also seems like he was the poster child FOR assist trophy characters so who knows what sakurai will do with him this time.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Yeah rip. If you want to find out then do your own research.

Anywho, you guys think Pyrosphere will be legal now that Ridley might be gone?

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I'd love for him to have like a tennis racket symbol and represent mario sports games, maybe daisy as DLC with the same symbol and have captain toad as the mario newcomer.

I know thats a lot of characters for what would generally be seen as the mario series and i dont exactly expect it but those are the three characters i feel are missing from mario and waluigi and daisy are really more associated with mario spin off games.

I do think at least one assist trophy will pull a "little mac" and my guess is either takamaru as a retro rep or waluigi as a mario sports game rep (fits with the new mario tennis anyway, thats where waluigi began and he even uses a tennis racket as an assist trophy). Sakurai mentioned him in the context of not being playable which makes me feel he was thought of but he also seems like he was the poster child FOR assist trophy characters so who knows what sakurai will do with him this time.
Tamara seems to be picking up quite a bit of attention. This in addition to the fact Sakurai apparently wanted to add him makes me think he may the retro rep for this Smash.

Maybe if they decide to add a "turn stage hazards off" button that is not an omega form.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Goodnight folks.
Well, you see young Rocket, when a Ridley loves a Samus very, very much...
I DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS ANYMORE.gif

I did not need to know that.
Tipping too much in the Social thread/spam direction. Heads up that the obvious will happen if it continues.

It's all fun and games until the brain bleach needs to be busted out.
Same here, I figured the thread was turning into a social a little too much. I did not do anything about it because back-seat moderating is against the law.
Ironically, it's probably still too big.
It is too big indeed, so I figured it can be used for something else. Make it smaller, since a boss will not be needed. Add the Boss's enemies and even new ones to increase the interest of casuals. I think Pyrosphere is fine without Ridley. They could also make the platforms closer to each other, since the stage is smaller obviously. Maybe even add some lava, since you can see lava or some fluid escaping out of a hole.

Last edited by a moderator:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Yeah rip. If you want to find out then do your own research.

There are other hazards besides Ridley.

What if it came back but Ridley was still a stage boss, even with Ridley playable?

Or more likely, it just doesn't come back.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Ridley will clearly be the WTF character of the game.
I don't think he's "wtf" enough to anyone who isn't actively online discussing this sort of thing. To people who just buy and play the game, which there's way more of than there are of us, they would probably just say "huh, its about time." and be done with it. All of us, on the other hand, will probably have our brains melted as this was seen as literally impossible as long as Sakurai is the director.

EDIT: My fear is Labo being the WTF character. Because if it gets in, I'll let out one extra slow "wtf" for like a nonstop hour after its reveal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom