• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squirtle/Mario guy

Smash Journeyman
Since the topic of All-Stars was brought back up, my view of "Nintendo All-Star" in the context of Smash amounts to "Prominent or otherwise distinguished character of a very notable Nintendo franchise" as opposed to "character your typical gaming console player recognizes". Because if we're going by the latter definition, we'd have to disqualify most of the roster up to and including some of the Original 8 like :ultsamus::ultkirby::ultfox: from being considered "All-Stars" because I'd definitely bet a lot of people didn't know who these three were when starting 64. In general, I think Nintendo/Sakurai are more than warranted in not downplaying the importance of their B and C tier IPs/characters just because a lot of fans both casual and hardcore have a very limited view on what qualifies as "deserving"
Kirby's a Nintendo icon like :ultpikachu::ultmario::ultluigi::ultdk::ultbowser::ultyoshi::ultlink: to list a few

Bridal Gown Mario, Gerudo Garb Link, girl Cloud.
I prefer Yarn Yoshi as an echo also it's not Yarn Yoshi it's crafted world Yoshi

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Here’s maybe a fun little side quest:

We know we have nacho Libre Pikachu. And Wedding Mario. And two Ikes. Yarn Yoshi. Mecha-Ridley. But what do you think are potential alt costumes that we have yet to see?

What are your top 10 alt costumes that you think are likely to be included? Likely as easy to develop and implement without much time spent into it?
Young Link - MM style with the shield and razor sword.
Bowser - Tuxedo from Odyssey
Luigi - Mr. L
Peach - Any outfit from Odyssey
Sonic - Riders outfit
Pikachu - Sparky from the anime
Robin - Master Strategist look
Yoshi - Boshi
Mega Man - X armor
Snake - MGS 1 please!

Last edited:

Penroze

The Surreal Deal
Switch FC
SW-7239-4479-0495
That Steve animation is cute as **** even if it's Decidueye vs Spring Man 2.0 all over again.
Speaking of the Decidueye vs Spring Man fake leak, I watched it for the first time about an hour ago. I found it hilarious how fast Spring Man was bounding back and forth. I guess he's just REAL PUMPED

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
If they start updating ALL of the video thumbnails that's one thing, but it looks like they only did that one Ryu video. I can't see how that's not a hint or an accidental reveal of their plans. So weird how it's on that old video too

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
How many big tournaments does Smash 4 have left before Ultimate commits a full on takeover?

Paper_Marzio

Smash Cadet
On the topic of the Arle/Steve leak it could of been good but they made quite a few key mistakes
Steve Animation: Actually good, It'd be hard to mess his animation up when he's idle.
Arle Animation: Poor, fidgety

-Countless portrait errors
-Size of stage is way too small. If it's omega why are they so close that someone like Corrin or Ritcher could hit them with a dashing F-Smash?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You know what'd be a really good announcement for a Smash Direct? Confirmation of more alternate skins and updates post-launch for fighters getting alternate skins. Here are the current characters that have them and what they are.

:ultmario: - Builder Mario (Super Mario Maker), Wedding Mario (Super Mario Odyssey)
:ultpikachu: - Pikachu Libre (Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire)
:ultyoshi: - Crafted Yoshi (Yoshi's Crafted World)
:ultridley: - Meta-Ridley (Metroid Prime)
:ultmetaknight: - Galacta Knight (Kirby Super Star Ultra)
:ultshulk: - Swimsuit (Xenoblade Chronicles)
:ultinkling: - Various Fashionwear (Splatoon)

Not bad, but I do think that there can be room for lots of new alternates to go off of. Here are some ideas I've got for some new alternate skins.

:ultmario: - Strikers Gear (Super Mario Strikers), Shadow Mario (Super Mario Sunshine)
:ulttoonlink: - Beginning Clothes (The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker)
:ultkrool: - Boxing Gear (Donkey Kong 64)
:ultmewtwo: - Shadow Mewtwo (Pokken Tournament DX)
:ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf: - Star Fox Assault Designs (Star Fox Assault)
:ultsnake: - Big Boss (Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater)
:ultpokemontrainer: - Other Trainers (Pokemon)
:ultbowser: - Dry Bowser (New Super Mario Bros.)
:ultryu: - Halloween Bishamon (Street Fighter V) You know you want it.

Well yeah, that's what I thought too.
BUT THEN MGSV HAS THE ARCTIC VEST AND VENOM'S IN GODDAMN AFGHANISTAN

Either way, I want to wear that sleek black vest. It's "the" suit that's part of his most legendary and iconic adventure and it deserves to be in Smash.
Cold War Alt for Snake or riot :p

(probably the most ridiculous suit in the MGS serie)

Seriously i still hope for Big Boss as an echo but if we don't get him i would take a few Big Boss alt skins anytime! (epecially Venom, because... you know... that robot arm is pretty badass).

Here’s maybe a fun little side quest:

We know we have nacho Libre Pikachu. And Wedding Mario. And two Ikes. Yarn Yoshi. Mecha-Ridley. But what do you think are potential alt costumes that we have yet to see?

What are your top 10 alt costumes that you think are likely to be included? Likely as easy to develop and implement without much time spent into it?
Here's a few i can think of:
:ultsnake:Old Snake (MGS4)
:ultkrool:Kaptain K. Rool, Baron K Roolenstein
:ulttoonlink: Outset Island Shirt

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You know what'd be a really good announcement for a Smash Direct? Confirmation of more alternate skins and updates post-launch for fighters getting alternate skins. Here are the current characters that have them and what they are.

:ultmario: - Builder Mario (Super Mario Maker), Wedding Mario (Super Mario Odyssey)
:ultpikachu: - Pikachu Libre (Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire)
:ultyoshi: - Crafted Yoshi (Yoshi's Crafted World)
:ultridley: - Meta-Ridley (Metroid Prime)
:ultmetaknight: - Galacta Knight (Kirby Super Star Ultra)
:ultshulk: - Swimsuit (Xenoblade Chronicles)
:ultinkling: - Various Fashionwear (Splatoon)

Not bad, but I do think that there can be room for lots of new alternates to go off of. Here are some ideas I've got for some new alternate skins.

:ultmario: - Strikers Gear (Super Mario Strikers), Shadow Mario (Super Mario Sunshine)
:ulttoonlink: - Beginning Clothes (The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker)
:ultkrool: - Boxing Gear (Donkey Kong 64)
:ultmewtwo: - Shadow Mewtwo (Pokken Tournament DX)
:ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf: - Star Fox Assault Designs (Star Fox Assault)
:ultsnake: - Big Boss (Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater)
:ultpokemontrainer: - Other Trainers (Pokemon)
:ultbowser: - Dry Bowser (New Super Mario Bros.)
:ultryu: - Halloween Bishamon (Street Fighter V) You know you want it.
If Swimsuit Shulk and Galacta MK is an alternate skin to you, then you're a sinner for forgetting Wireframe Mac.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Watch it literally be
-Ken October reveal
-Incineroar November reveal

And that's it.

I don't think this website (myself included) could handle the amount of bull**** if that's how they're going to end up doing these reveals, stringing us along so long only to have it be the two most expected and unhype characters.

(Unhype as in expected so much in the "smash bubble" you don't really care anymore, not in terms of the characters themselves. I don't mind Ken and I'd be fine with Incineroar, but due to how widely expected and leaked they are...yeah you get my point)

Paper_Marzio

Smash Cadet
Watch it literally be
-Ken October reveal

And that's it.

I don't think this website (myself included) could handle the amount of bull**** if that's how they're going to end up doing these reveals, stringing us along so long only to have it be the two most expected and unhype characters.

(Unhype as in expected so much in the "smash bubble" you don't really care anymore, not in terms of the characters themselves. I don't mind Ken and I'd be fine with Incineroar, but due to how widely expected and leaked they are...yeah you get my point)
Yeah it'd be pretty underwhelming but it'd also be incredibly confusing to dedicate an entire direct's end to an Echo Fighter(Unless he's unique maybe? He's prime Echo material since he was the OG echo fighter of Ryu), even with Spirit Mode being discussed.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Cold War Alt for Snake or riot :p

(probably the most ridiculous suit in the MGS serie)

Seriously i still hope for Big Boss as an echo but if we don't get him i would take a few Big Boss alt skins anytime! (epecially Venom, because... you know... that robot arm is pretty badass).

Here's a few i can think of:
:ultsnake:Old Snake (MGS4)
:ultkrool:Kaptain K. Rool, Baron K Roolenstein
:ulttoonlink: Outset Island Shirt
Hrrgh...Old Snake, huh?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I mean, I think it’ll be fine if Ken and Incineroar are the last two newcomers for base roster.

Especially if we’re given more information on single player, and have an idea of how the game will be supported in the foreseeable future, I don’t think there’s much of any way another Direct would disappoint.

Not to mention, I think anybody seriously finding Ken and Incineroar as underwhelming seriously underestimates the impact of having every veteran come back. If you really think about it, chances are most high ballot picks were vets.

Even if you had newcomers you wanted, the fanbase is basically getting what they asked for. Nobody can truly make, in my humble opinion, a strong case that this game would be disappointing content wise if we end base roster with Ken and Incineroar.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Watch it literally be
-Ken October reveal

And that's it.

I severely doubt they'll reveal a single echo.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm expecting literally nothing tomorrow.

No announcement, no tease, nothing.

Please, anyone, prove me wrong. I want to be wrong.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I mean, I think it’ll be fine if Ken and Incineroar are the last two newcomers for base roster.
Repeat ad nauseam
This gets said a lot, by myself included.

I'm expecting literally nothing tomorrow.

No announcement, no tease, nothing.

Please, anyone, prove me wrong. I want to be wrong.
I'm expecting something a bit later in the week, myself, so congrats I guess

amazonevan19

Smash Ace

Especially if we’re given more information on single player, and have an idea of how the game will be supported in the foreseeable future, I don’t think there’s much of any way another Direct would disappoint.

Not to mention, I think anybody seriously finding Ken and Incineroar as underwhelming seriously underestimates the impact of having every veteran come back. If you really think about it, chances are most high ballot picks were vets.

Even if you had newcomers you wanted, the fanbase is basically getting what they asked for. Nobody can truly make, in my humble opinion, a strong case that this game would be disappointing content wise if we end base roster with Ken and Incineroar.
All I realistically need is confirmation of DLC characters to put my mind at ease tbh and more info on single player. I agree this roster is really damn hype already but ENDING it on Kencineroar...which we've talked about/debated to death, and are the most widely expected characters...that would be very yawn inducing for me. I have no problem with either character but it'd be a real dud to end on given how long they've been in the leak spotlight.

Like we've said before in this thread, Sakurai doesn't usually end on an insanely hype character, but I think it's safe to say that most people here would be pretty disappointed if Kencineroar are the last two newcomers for base, in a vacuum. If we get Kencineroar + DLC confirmation and tease + more hype info then that'd be really good obviously. But just on its face, Kencineroar as the last two newcomers will be really boring for pretty much anyone outside of their fan bases.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
No clue.

If it doesn't happen this week, which signs point to, then it'll be a complete crapshot.
I still have that fear that nothing'll happen this week.
I think it's because all the other times I hadn't seen the signs of the announcement, but now I have, and...well...it makes me fear we won't get one for no actual reason.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Watch it literally be
-Ken October reveal

And that's it.

And then Ken turns out to be a unique character--box theorists would go crazy. The characters they predicted were right--but not because of a silly box. :joyful:

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
I was getting really hopeful that something would come this upcoming week but tbh I'm thinking probably mid to late October.

Penroze

The Surreal Deal
Switch FC
SW-7239-4479-0495
Box Theory 2.0: All characters on the box are in the game

Sounds a bit absurd to me

Shroob

Sup?
Well why's your hope suddenly crushed?
I think it's more a sense of foreboding dread moreso than anything else.

We need an official confirmation from Nintendo, and the longer we go without one, the less likely it is.

Tomorrow's the start of the week, and every day without one is a nail biting event.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
All I realistically need is confirmation of DLC characters to put my mind at ease tbh and more info on single player. I agree this roster is really damn hype already but ENDING it on Kencineroar...which we've talked about/debated to death, and are the most widely expected characters...that would be very yawn inducing for me. I have no problem with either character but it'd be a real dud to end on given how long they've been in the leak spotlight.

Like we've said before in this thread, Sakurai doesn't usually end on an insanely hype character, but I think it's safe to say that most people here would be pretty disappointed if Kencineroar are the last two newcomers for base, in a vacuum. If we get Kencineroar + DLC confirmation and tease + more hype info then that'd be really good obviously. But just on its face, Kencineroar as the last two newcomers will be really boring for pretty much anyone outside of their fan bases.
It's pretty safe to say we're getting DLC. Whether or not it will be revealed in an October/Nintendo direct or in general sometime after the game is released on December 7th is another story. Same with how early it will be. It could be day 1, January 1st, or a few months later(as soon as April/June). Who knows. But yeah, it's so obviously coming it hurts.

aarchak

Smash Ace
Well, enough time has passed that we're starting to get hungry again for reveals. Nintendo knows this, and I think there's going to be something in the next couple weeks to satisfy us.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
idk really just growing pessimism about everything smash related

box theory is probably right, Kencineroar is closing out the roster, and I'll have to wait for months to see if any of my boys make it

kill me now
Whoa buddy if we're getting an announcement this soon, there's a decent chance it ain't the final one, so I'd be shocked if they just saved 1 base reveal for the final Direct.

MGS4 is my favorite MGS so if we got an Old Snake skin that'd become my default easy.
You understand me. MGS4 is the best. I live for mushy happy endings and I finally got mine.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
I think it's more a sense of foreboding dread moreso than anything else.

We need an official confirmation from Nintendo, and the longer we go without one, the less likely it is.

Tomorrow's the start of the week, and every day without one is a nail biting event.
well...think of it this way

Every day that goes by is a day closer to getting news! :4pacman:

...and every day that goes by is a day without meaningful news :4charizard:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom