• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
The 'evidence' is there, but at the same time, said 'evidence' is also flimsy at best.

We know that the NEW banner from the 8.8 Direct disappeared on August 24th, and Isabelle was meant to be revealed the 6th. Likewise, this NEW banner has only been gone a couple days as opposed to 2(3 due to the delay) weeks.

And then for the playlist tampering....

We KNOW they modified the playlist 10 days before Isabelle was meant to come out, but while people have said the same about the 8.8 Direct, I've yet to see actual evidence.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
The 'evidence' is there, but at the same time, said 'evidence' is also flimsy at best.

We know that the NEW banner from the 8.8 Direct disappeared on August 24th, and Isabelle was meant to be revealed the 6th. Likewise, this NEW banner has only been gone a couple days as opposed to 2(3 due to the delay) weeks.

And then for the playlist tampering....

We KNOW they modified the playlist 10 days before Isabelle was meant to come out, but while people have said the same about the 8.8 Direct, I've yet to see actual evidence.
I'm not sure why we'd need proof on 8.8 when Isabelle is enough, no?

Squirtle/Mario guy

Smash Journeyman
You know what'd be a really good announcement for a Smash Direct? Confirmation of more alternate skins and updates post-launch for fighters getting alternate skins. Here are the current characters that have them and what they are.

:ultmario: - Builder Mario (Super Mario Maker), Wedding Mario (Super Mario Odyssey)
:ultpikachu: - Pikachu Libre (Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire)
:ultyoshi: - Crafted Yoshi (Yoshi's Crafted World)
:ultridley: - Meta-Ridley (Metroid Prime)
:ultmetaknight: - Galacta Knight (Kirby Super Star Ultra)
:ultshulk: - Swimsuit (Xenoblade Chronicles)
:ultinkling: - Various Fashionwear (Splatoon)

Not bad, but I do think that there can be room for lots of new alternates to go off of. Here are some ideas I've got for some new alternate skins.

:ultmario: - Strikers Gear (Super Mario Strikers), Shadow Mario (Super Mario Sunshine)
:ulttoonlink: - Beginning Clothes (The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker)
:ultkrool: - Boxing Gear (Donkey Kong 64)
:ultmewtwo: - Shadow Mewtwo (Pokken Tournament DX)
:ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf: - Star Fox Assault Designs (Star Fox Assault)
:ultsnake: - Big Boss (Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater)
:ultpokemontrainer: - Other Trainers (Pokemon)
:ultbowser: - Dry Bowser (New Super Mario Bros.)
:ultryu: - Halloween Bishamon (Street Fighter V) You know you want it.
You forgot other Wedding Mario

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I'm still convinced a reveal of SOME sort at Big House is more likely than we all think.

Would demonstrate Nintendo's embrace of the competitive scene and makes for great PR, and they're already pushing Big House on social media.

When does BH end again?

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Whoa buddy if we're getting an announcement this soon, there's a decent chance it ain't the final one, so I'd be shocked if they just saved 1 base reveal for the final Direct.
That's what I had suggested and I got an earful. At the very least, we'll most likely find out soon where to keep our expectations.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm not sure why we'd need proof on 8.8 when Isabelle is enough, no?
You need as much information that you can gather before you can deem something as 'proof'.

Who's to say that they literally didn't upload the 8.8 reveals the day of? Isabelle may be the one exception to this rule.

While I 'do' think they added something, there's also the very grim possibility that, maybe they didn't and just like, fixed a typo or some minor ****. We just don't know without an official statement.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
You need as much information that you can gather before you can deem something as 'proof'.

Who's to say that they literally didn't upload the 8.8 reveals the day of? Isabelle may be the one exception to this rule.

While I 'do' think they added something, there's also the very grim possibility that, maybe they didn't and just like, fixed a typo or some minor ****. We just don't know without an official statement.
Interesting POV.

I still am now certain we'll get something within the next 2 weeks though.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'd like to see a Big House announcement.

But I won't hold my breath. :/

Ring-a-Sheep

Smash Ace
I'm still convinced a reveal of SOME sort at Big House is more likely than we all think.

Would demonstrate Nintendo's embrace of the competitive scene and makes for great PR, and they're already pushing Big House on social media.

When does BH end again?
Well they do have a smash ultimate venue there, so i don't think it means too much that they're posting about it on social media.

aarchak

Smash Ace

Also, if they put a private video on their playlist, we'd be able to see that it existed. We couldn't see anything else about it, but we could still see "this video is private."

Shroob

Sup?
Also, if they put a private video on their playlist, we'd be able to see that it existed. We couldn't see anything else about it, but we could still see "this video is private."
I'm not too worried about that, frankly. We know they probably had Isabelle ready to be uploaded by the original date of the 6th, that's why they messed with the playlist then.

But for right now? We're just wayyy too in the dark.

Everyone was predicting a Direct for September, so a reveal seemed logical.

We're in the Wild West of speculation as to what this means right now.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199

Shroob

Sup?
Pretty much, if we hear nothing by the end of tomorrow, it'll be safe to be incredibly cautious about this week in general. While Sakurai 'could' spring something on us, it's safer to not hold your breath and just expect it another week, I feel.

aarchak

Smash Ace
I'm not too worried about that, frankly. We know they probably had Isabelle ready to be uploaded by the original date of the 6th, that's why they messed with the playlist then.

But for right now? We're just wayyy too in the dark.

Everyone was predicting a Direct for September, so a reveal seemed logical.

We're in the Wild West of speculation as to what this means right now.
I mean, this isn't the Bloody Tears leak. We may just be reading too much into it (as we usually do), and they just fixed something small on the playlist. We still don't know what they changed, right? This all probably means nothing.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I mean, this isn't the Bloody Tears leak. We may just be reading too much into it (as we usually do), and they just fixed something small on the playlist. We still don't know what they changed, right? This all probably means nothing.
With this logic they probably fixed something before the Isabelle reveal too. Except that was an actual indication for her reveal.

Shroob

Sup?
The thing is, there's only TWO times this has happened.

Supposedly before the 8.8 Direct, and before Isabelle's Direct.

It's completely possible it was something minor, but this has only happened twice, both times resulting in a reveal.

aarchak

Smash Ace
With this logic they probably fixed something before the Isabelle reveal too. Except that was an actual indication for her reveal.
Well, it could mean anything. I'm not sure it really means anything, but I do think there will be a new reveal soon. Who knows? It might be a real indication for a reveal.

Chrono.

EVO had the Direct announcement at Melee (or 4?) finals.

I'd assume something similar would happen at BH8.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Most I could see happening would be an announcement of a potential Smash Direct at the end of this Big House 8 Tournament, similar to the Melee Top 8 when they announced the August Smash Direct at EVO. Of course, this is a smaller scale tournament compared to the global appeal of EVO, but an announcement there for Smash would spread like wildfire.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
I think at this point, whatever and whenever the next news drop is, after it I'd like to think I'll have the self-control to stay out of the Smash speculation scene until release.

If we get a smaller reveal and it's anything that has the potential to blow fatal holes in the low end of the expectation spectrum, then there's nothing left but relatively baseless speculation, and frankly I've my fill of that this cycle (barring another ESRB- or Ken-image-level leak, but I don't think I'll stick around just on the chance of anything of that sort showing up).

Conversely, if we do get a big blowout next, I seriously doubt there'll be enough chance of anything being left to be worth discussion.

For my two cents, I'm most leaning toward us getting a "final" showcase announced by the end of the coming week, for all the marketing and leak-averse reasons that've been stated before. My expectations are hardly set in stone, though.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

Narr

AN ORB OF MANY TALENTS
NNID
LordChrom
3DS FC
1289-8310-9030
Switch FC
SW 8256 5756 1598
big house is the third biggest smash tournament series, dropping a direct announcement makes a lot of sense. it's not like they're announcing a character, they can easily simultaneously tweet out the announcement, it's not a big deal

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
big house is the third biggest smash tournament series, dropping a direct announcement makes a lot of sense. it's not like they're announcing a character, they can easily simultaneously tweet out the announcement, it's not a big deal
Of course it'd make sense, but at the same time, it's taken them 20 years to even acknowledge EVO, the biggest fighting game tournament of all time.

aarchak

Smash Ace
Possibly, but EVO was a special case, where a LOT of people were watching, and there were many other games being played. I'm not 100% sure that The Big House is big enough.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Here’s maybe a fun little side quest:

We know we have nacho Libre Pikachu. And Wedding Mario. And two Ikes. Yarn Yoshi. Mecha-Ridley. But what do you think are potential alt costumes that we have yet to see?

What are your top 10 alt costumes that you think are likely to be included? Likely as easy to develop and implement without much time spent into it?
For me:

1. Phantom Ganon (basically just a mask with a few texture changes and maybe an effect change to his magic.)
  2. Dry Bowser (Probably would take the most amount of effort to develop but would be pretty freakin amazing.)
  3. Old Snake (probably would require different voicing like Ike)
  4. Wii U ROB (not really an alt but have a Wii U co sole for a head and a gamepad body would be fun)
  5. Keaton Young Link (really want this lore than anything else)
  6. Mad Scientist King K sari ok (forgot the name but seeing as how his pirate hat is apart of his Blunderbuss, maybe the scientist outfit could be an alt).
  7. Pseudo-Palutena (surprised this wasn’t included before. Color tint change and obvious facial makeover)
  8. Evil Ryu (I was sad to not see this one included. Obviously would take to develop but would be great. Maybe we could get a Violent Ken.)
  9. Ash Greninja (probably a slight change to the head portion of the model.
  10. Ms Pac-Man (this would probably be the most time extensive alt to design plus additional features as well.)

Shroob

Sup?
IF they announce something, it'll really show the team has finally started acknowledging the more competitive side of the community.

If not, it'll be another boring Sunday with either an Item/Assist or Veteran as that day's blog post.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Don't think anything is coming at Big House.

No reveal, no announcement of an announcement, nothing.

EVO is an exception. EVO is the biggest ****ing smash tournament around.

BH is "hurr durr third biggest!" Yeah well that means ****. We've seen no real meaningful Nintendo representation there other than an Ultimate demo(?) and some obligatory nintendo retweets about the tournament to show they support the scene.

Sorry if I sound overly hostile but I am pretty sure nothing is happening tomorrow at Big House and we'll get something in a couple weeks, or maybe something this week outside of Big House.

I'll GLADLY eat my words tomorrow if this is not the case but I am not expecting it and neither should anyone else.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Isn't the Smash Ultimate bundle available on November 2nd? Regardless of Box Theory, they have to have the finished package complete by then to avoid any advertising inconsistencies. The whole bundle, including the art, should probably be the final product.

Now, Nintendo doesn't have to care about any of this because its a pretty miniscule issue (I doubt anyone would be upset about receiving a box in the mail that's more complete than the one they ordered in the image online) but it also means that, from a marketing perspective, they may have all of the major content revealed before then. It would also minimize the inevitable leaks from stores breaking their dates or the ESRB trying to claim some fame.

Its also not inconsistent with Sakurai's interview. He said not to expect constant reveals all the way up until release. One last content blowout 50 or so days before release is consistent with this claim. He also said things would 'slow down' which could mean any number of things.

Last edited:

Kaeltor

Smash Apprentice
I'm still not convinced there will be an announcement at Big House, but at this point it's my word vs yours. So we'll have to just wait and see. It ends tomorrow.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
If we get something announced, it would just be through Nintendo and not Big House lol. If anything happens tomorrow, it'd be entirely coincidence.

Shroob

Sup?
Isn't the Smash Ultimate bundle available on November 2nd? Regardless of Box Theory, they have to have the finished package complete by then to avoid any advertising inconsistencies. The whole bundle, including the art, should probably be the final product.

Now, Nintendo doesn't have to care about any of this because its a pretty miniscule issue (I doubt anyone would be upset about receiving a box in the mail that's more complete than the one they ordered in the image online) but it also means that, from a marketing perspective, they may have all of the major content revealed before then. It would also minimize the inevitable leaks from stores breaking their dates or the ESRB trying to claim some fame.

Its also not inconsistent with Sakurai's interview. He said not to expect constant reveals all the way up until release. One last content blowout 50 or so days before release is consistent with this claim. He also said things would 'slow down' which could mean any number of things.
The bundle on November 2nd isn't the same box as Box theory's box.

Eru13

Smash Apprentice

The bundle available is the one with the switch, not the pro controller one from box theory, that one comes out in december

Edit: :ultgreninja:'d

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Wait, is it available to pre-order or to purchase?
Pre-order. It just makes sense from a marketing perspective to have the finished product put on display when the time comes.

Edit: Ah I got the bundles confused. I never buy bundles so I basically don't pay attention to discrepancies in them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom