• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono.

By the way, since we are talking about Fire Emblem characters and Smash, I think that if we do get a non-echo newcomer for Fire Emblem as DLC, I think it should be Edelgard from the upcoming Fire Emblem Switch title. Why her over any other characters? Two words:

AXE LORD.
And then they go for Byleth instead.

Edelgard is cool tho.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
The hype of a character is MASSIVELY subjective. For all we know, Olimar and Shulk were the most hype characters in Sakurai's eyes :yoshi:
Shulk was actually extremely hype for me at the time due to my love of the series at that point and it seeming unlikely at the time prior to the ESRB leak. Shulk had his fanbase in Smash 4 but he was no where close considered a lock in the general community that I could remember.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Not the point I'm making at all. My point was regarding her status as an "all-star".
But, you raise good points friend.
Sorry about that. I went off on a bit of a tangent there; Lyn is my favorite FE character.

But in regards of being an "all star", it's kind of hard to define what all stars are and which ones are left that aren't on the roster.

I personally wouldn't consider a RH Rep as an "all star".

Isaac is... debatable, I would lean a little more towards yes, but I can easily see why some could argue otherwise.

Noipoi

Howdy!
By the way, since we are talking about Fire Emblem characters and Smash, I think that if we do get a non-echo newcomer for Fire Emblem as DLC, I think it should be Edelgard from the upcoming Fire Emblem Switch title. Why her over any other characters? Two words:

AXE LORD.
I wanna see this girl swinging that huge axe around. It needs to happen.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Sorry about that. I went off on a bit of a tangent there; Lyn is my favorite FE character.

But in regards of being an "all star", it's kind of hard to define what all stars are and which ones are left that aren't on the roster.

I personally wouldn't consider a RH Rep as an "all star".

Isaac is... debatable, I would lean a little more towards yes, but I can easily see why some could argue otherwise.
I would. RH's had a very constant and fairly popular presence, don't know why it's less debatable than Isaac. But that's just me.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990

AXE LORD.
They shouldn't add anymore. It's already overkill right now. There are so so many more interesting and deserving characters left in gaming that they can add.

Last edited:

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
I was just on Nintendo's Japanese site to see if the characters they heavily promote are the same as the US branch's choices (part of a grander idea of seeing if anyone else can be considered as likely as Isabelle was purely on how much Nintendo pushes them) and I happened to discover the existence of a Kirby Café that they have in Japan, and I just have to share this with you. This is the cutest hamburger to ever exist and I can't decide if I want to cuddle with it or gobble it up, it's just too precious! Japan really does get all the most awesome stuff.
KirbyCaféBurger.jpg

Shroob

Sup?
Speaking of Nintendo heavily promoting characters, Incineroar's gonna be the star of next Sunday's episode of Pokemon, and they just recently tweeted about his GX card.

BigThink

Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Speaking of Nintendo heavily promoting characters, Incineroar's gonna be the star of next Sunday's episode of Pokemon, and they just recently tweeted about his GX card.

BigThink
Next week is also the 11th anniversary since Sonic was announced for Brawl.

#TailsandShadowduorevealconfirmed

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
In fact, it seems to be a trend with all of our previously revealed newcomers as well except maybe Dark Samus (she's a weird case).
Dark Samus has eyes...

In fact she has too many eyes...
So, I was rewatching Simon's reveal trailer, and it reminded me. I came up with a fun challenge for Simon/Richter mains to try out when the game releases.

The Classic Castlevania Challenge:

Play Simon or Richter, and hold yourself to these limitations:
  • No running
  • Only a single jump
  • The only moves you can use to attack are forward smash and forward air (without angling)
  • Only a single special move (except the uppercut, which you're not allowed to use at all) of your choosing
  • For extra difficulty, limit the number of times you can use the special move you choose (to mimic the heart system from Castlevania)
Genius.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Monkey's Paw: Smash Edition

Make a wish, then twist it!

I'll start:
BANJO AND KAZOOIE ARE IN SMASH!

but...

They have the Nuts and Bolts design.
Amaterasu is in, but as a statue, and to break her free, you have to use multiple taunts and combos, and when do break her free, she has no other weapons than her reflector, and Issun isn't there so there's no quips or snappy quotes that he's know for in Okami, or MvC3.
Y'know, I'm hearing no one mention Lyn and I can't help but feel that's kinda sad.
View attachment 168395
I hope that when Sakurai's speaking about DLC, he hear a loud crash like the shattering of glass, and Sakurai is like "I wonder what that sound was, let's check it out." only to see that the Assist Trophy case is broken by a mysterious character. Then next month it's revealed to be Lyn.

Long shot I know, but I'm keeping a more open mind about characters, now that we don't have to worry about veterans for DLC

TMNTSSB4

Pranked!
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

BigThink
Next week is also the 11th anniversary since Sonic was announced for Brawl.

#TailsandShadowduorevealconfirmed
Y’all both onto something major

Shroob

Sup?
I think we'll all just 'be' happier next week if they just end our suffering when it comes to speculation.

Drop the last Smash Direct before launch, give us our last 2~ Newcomers and 2 echoes, and then give us a date for a Demo in November.

We KNOW Ken's in, and I somehow doubt that they'd reveal him alone as the only Echo, but I could, and quite possibly am, wrong.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I think we'll all just 'be' happier next week if they just end our suffering when it comes to speculation.

Drop the last Smash Direct before launch, give us our last 2~ Newcomers and 2 echoes, and then give us a date for a Demo in November.

We KNOW Ken's in, and I somehow doubt that they'd reveal him alone as the only Echo, but I could, and quite possibly am, wrong.
If all they reveal is Ken next week after all the leaks, theories, vague statements about slowing down reveals from Sakurai, and speculation

anyone still holding out hope for those massive surprises beyond Incineroar, Ken, and SE rep are.....

well I admire their optimism

Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If next week is indeed the last Smash Direct and its only 2 uniques and 2 echos then...

69: Incineroar
70: Tails

38e: Shadow
60e: Ken

And Geno is announced as the first character for DLC.

Seems logical. It does fit considering the episode focusing on Incineroar and the 11th anniversary since Sonic's reveal in Brawl.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
If all they reveal is Ken next week after all the leaks, theories, vague statements about slowing down reveals from Sakurai, and speculation

anyone still holding out hope for those massive surprises beyond Incineroar, Ken, and SE rep are.....

well I admire their optimism
I meant 'alone' in the sense of:

"Oh, here's the final Smash Direct, we only have one echo to show you. Ken's the only Echo left, no one else."

I just have a hard time believing that they only saved ONE Echo for the final Direct when we got 3 last time.

2 seems reasonable.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion

AXE LORD.
Hmm... I see your Edelgard and raise you a Fjorm

Ice Lancer for the win.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
If next week is indeed the last Smash Direct and its only 2 uniques and 2 echos then...

69: Incineroar
70: Tails

38e: Shadow
60e: Ken

And Geno is announced as the first character for DLC.

Seems logical. It does fit considering the episode focusing on Incineroar and the 11th anniversary since Sonic's reveal in Brawl.
No way we're getting two Sonic characters...at least on the base game anyway.

Last edited:
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
While I don't think we're getting Tails outside of DLC, we got two Castlevania, so it's not that unheard of.

Tails IS more or less Sonic's Luigi.
Then lets also factor in Nintendo's and Sega's good relationship which could possibility lead to that.

I honestly think Tails has a really decent shot into getting in. I'd give him a 50/50 chance.

If not though then I'd think Geno would fill in the number 70 slot.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
While I don't think we're getting Tails outside of DLC, we got two Castlevania, so it's not that unheard of.

Tails IS more or less Sonic's Luigi.
Yeah but Richter is far less of a resource sink than Luigi compared as to Mario.

I can't help but doubt Nintendo would spend resources on creating another wholly unique (or even semi-unique) character from the same 3rd party franchise when Sega has many other franchises to choose from. Cough, megaten, cough.

No bias here.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
Lmao, Fire Emblem Warrior's development was a mess, and the producer/ Tecmo Koei is faulty for that and there rumor that the dev team themselves though the roster was ****. I still refuse to believe I breath the same air as people thinking "Nah dude, Ike? Roy? Hector? You mean the characters we could ride of their off-shore popularity and sell mucho thanks to them? Lmao **** that, we keep them for a never ever sequel however, please, add more Fates charcters, tnx love."
And that game was also the time Lyn got pushed forward, and it all went to hell as she basically started to get pushed to hell in Cipher and Heroes after getting into Warriors
reminds me when they considered Vaati and Groose in Hyrule Warriors.
turn out, they didn't even bother to put them in HWL or HW:DE, just added more oddballs into the game and devs saying Vaati would be a bit difficult to implement.

good god, i'm digging for that one /v/ thread talking about it long ago. might repost it in the Vaati support thread (if there's one)

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah but Richter is far less of a resource sink than Luigi compared as to Mario.

I can't help but doubt Nintendo would spend resources on creating another wholly unique (or even semi-unique) character from the same 3rd party franchise when Sega has many other franchises to choose from. Cough, megaten, cough.

No bias here.
Right. I don't think we're getting Tails outside of DLC.

But Shadow? I just can't imagine Ken being the ONLY Echo left, despite his importance. Shadow just 'feels' like he's in, despite no one leaking him.

I could very much be wrong and Ken could be the only Echo left, hopefully we know next week.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I don't think its impossible for two Sonic characters to be revealed. Tails is a very popular, highly requested character, who I'm honestly surprised hasn't made an appearance yet.

Shadow, well with Echoes being a thing, I'm fairly certain he'll be in. DLC or not.

...would rather have Metal Sonic though. :T

Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Now that I think about it I do think a Final Smash Direct would be best for next week. It'd fit the pattern of June>August>October>December and also prevent the entire roster from being leaked before the games release as Brawl and Sm4sh had suffered.

Shroob

Sup?
Now that I think about it I do think a Final Smash Direct would be best for next week. It'd fit the pattern of June>August>October>December and also prevent the entire roster from being leaked before the games release as Brawl and Sm4sh had suffered.
My thoughts exactly.

November is a very dangerous month for Smash leaks.

The game probably will go gold in like a week or two tops, it'll be in production by the end of October, that much I can say with certainty.

And then, you'll have stores getting their copies early, and the Prima guide going into print.

The later this supposed Direct happens, the more likely it is for the last bit of information to leak.

Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I don't think its impossible for two Sonic characters to be revealed. Tails is a very popular, highly requested character, who I'm honestly surprised hasn't made an appearance yet.

Shadow, well with Echoes being a thing, I'm fairly certain he'll be in. DLC or not.

Agreed. After all Tails is pretty much the Player 2 to Sonic as Luigi is to Mario.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord

I'm not surprised, wasn't until Richter came the idea of a third party character getting a second rep seemed unlikely.

Shroob

Sup?
He's already in the game as a stage element in Green Hill.
That doesn't matter.

Knuckles is an Assist and he shows up on Green Hill.

And of course, Spirit Tracks.

If Sakurai can remove the 16-bit Dedede from Dream Land, he can remove a low-poly Tails from the background of GHZ.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
One thing that makes me believe Tails could be in is that I'm pretty sure the gun the mii fighter costume has is completely unique to Smash and like K. Rool's mii costume design could be used for this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom