• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
I seriously doubt Nintendo would just pay a YouTuber to advertise for them. Unless it was a paid promotion, which Alax isn’t doing.
Actually, thinking about it, I’m pretty sure there’s no way Alax could be a shill. I suspect most Nintendo YTers that don’t get content ID’d or copyright striked of being shills on principle, but given the kind of content in Alax’s videos, I don’t think he could really be a shill.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Geno is nowhere near K Rool or Ridley levels of demand. Outside of the Smash community, no one remembers him whatsoever

Mrplutoguy112

Smash Apprentice
Geno is nowhere near K Rool or Ridley levels of demand. Outside of the Smash community, no one remembers him whatsoever
Yeah Genos demanding crowd isn’t up with K rool or Ridley but he’s still a demanding character or those wanting him.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Exactly. I feel like some people want it both ways. Sora is more popular to general audiences, so Sora should be in the base with Geno as DLC because it would make more money for Square. But then, wouldn't the more popular character to general audiences make more sense as DLC to make more money? Same thing with Banjo/Steve. They say that Banjo should be DLC because he'd be a money-maker for Microsoft. They would then say Banjo couldn't be in the base because he's not as popular to general audiences as Steve. Which is it?

Smash is going to sell gangbusters. However, I don't feel like any amount of "pandering to general audiences" would make Ultimate a better sell to the undecided. I saw many of the undecideds watching Smash at E3--and were still not convinced to pick up Smash because they see it as the same game as all the others (though, we all know better here). A character they recognize will not make much of a difference if they're not into the style of game itself. The only way to reach them would be to dramatically overhaul the game, which I suspect if they make another Smash game, is what they will do. Ultimate will be the ultimate Smash game for fans, and a hypothetical reboot of Smash, complete overhaul with less characters, would appeal to more people.

Which is why personally I think the Ultimate Smash game should have long-time fan requested characters like Geno and Banjo, similarly to Ridley and King K Rool.
I kiiinda agree with you but.

People REALLY underestimate the power of third parties and mass-appeal.
I can bet you, you could remove thousand of unit if Sonic was cut with the GIGANTIC Sonic fanbase
Same for Cloud and Snake.

If Geno get in, he will be base game as a gift for fans, but not DLC
Sora get in, he will attract thousands of KH/Disney/FF/SE fans whenever he's base game or DLC

Sora and Geno all have their right to be in smash, Geno maybe more.
But the general mass appeal isn't a ground he can fight on if he's ever DLC

osby

Smash Obsessed
Exactly. I feel like some people want it both ways. Sora is more popular to general audiences, so Sora should be in the base with Geno as DLC because it would make more money for Square. But then, wouldn't the more popular character to general audiences make more sense as DLC to make more money? Same thing with Banjo/Steve. They say that Banjo should be DLC because he'd be a money-maker for Microsoft. They would then say Banjo couldn't be in the base because he's not as popular to general audiences as Steve. Which is it?

Smash is going to sell gangbusters. However, I don't feel like any amount of "pandering to general audiences" would make Ultimate a better sell to the undecided. I saw many of the undecideds watching Smash at E3--and were still not convinced to pick up Smash because they see it as the same game as all the others (though, we all know better here). A character they recognize will not make much of a difference if they're not into the style of game itself. The only way to reach them would be to dramatically overhaul the game, which I suspect if they make another Smash game, is what they will do. Ultimate will be the ultimate Smash game for fans, and a hypothetical reboot of Smash, complete overhaul with less characters, would appeal to more people.

Which is why personally I think the Ultimate Smash game should have long-time fan requested characters like Geno and Banjo, similarly to Ridley and King K Rool.
This kinda goes both ways, tbh. You could say "hardcore fans are going to get the game anyway, there's no need to add any more fan favourites." Just strike a balance.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Pretty sure the Geno Mii Costume sold like hotcakes...
Yeah, but imagine If we got Cloud and Geno as DLC at the same time, try to guess who sell like Hotcakes, and who literally arrive with a trucks full of money.

You can sell a lot.
And you can sell Tons more.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Shantae is a character who I actually think would piss people off if she got in.
The general consensus for people who don’t want her in is that all of her fans are horny on main dumbasses.
"All of her fans"? I seriously doubt that's the case. I'm not a big fan but she's nice, even thought I don't get some parts of her design.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Shantae is a character who I actually think would piss people off if she got in.
The general consensus for people who don’t want her in is that all of her fans are horny on main dumbasses.
Yet we have Bayo who is a ton more extra than Shantae ever has been

D

Deleted member

No characters had as much demand as Ridley and K.Rool with the exception of Mewtwo before Smash 4 came out. There's a reason they were called "The Big 3" and the difference was that it actually had something to base off

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Yeah, but how do you sell a one-hit wonder (no offense Geno fans) to people outside the core Smash community? They’d make a boatload more money if it was like, Sora or somebody.
I 100% agree Sora would make more money and maybe that would be Nintendo / Squares strategy, but I wouldn't think of Corrin as a big seller and they made him dlc. Most people just want every character on the roster.

But yea I do think Geno would make more sense as a first day download for Nintendo Online members kind of DLC than a $6.99 one.
And this is why I think Geno's reveal will be so weird. It's not really a hype character but because of a vocal minority they will make it a big deal. Weird.

I want Geno for his fans but I hope we get a bigger hyper Square character like Sora down the line in dlc.

And I forgot to quote someone who said no character would live up to the hype of Ridley/King K. Rool, but I'd argue both Banjo and Sora would. Steve would in a everyone freaks out both good and bad kind of way.

and of course Goku

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Plus the majority of Japan would be like "Who?"

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
"All of her fans"? I seriously doubt that's the case. I'm not a big fan but she's nice, even thought I don't get some parts of her design.
I never claimed all her fans were that. I actually want Shantae. What I’m saying is that, outside of her fanbase, that seems to be the general attitude. At least from what I’ve seen upon searching her name and “Smash” on Twitter.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Actually, thinking about it, I’m pretty sure there’s no way Alax could be a shill. I suspect most Nintendo YTers that don’t get content ID’d or copyright striked of being shills on principle, but given the kind of content in Alax’s videos, I don’t think he could really be a shill.
Not entirely sure what this is about but I remember The Runaway Guys getting content ID'd on a video Nintendo asked them to make

Mrplutoguy112

Smash Apprentice
RIDLEY was probably more of a demanding character then K rool
In all honesty he seemed impossible to be a character because of his size which is something fans considering was the case until he was announced.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Banjo would get the crazy hype because HE'S COMMING HOME after all this time and is like Nintendo and Rare reunited.

Sora will get crazy hype because he HOLY **** THEY ****ING DID IT WHAT THE ****?! DISNEY SAID YES! And because Smash is a crossover and Sora is literally a character that represents a crossover.

And then...we Have Goku.
Goku gets in. Internet stop. Nintendo stocks raise Until they get all money on Earth.
Earth is renamed Nintendo Land.
Sakurai becomes Sakurai The First. First king of Nintendo land with his prime minister Reggie.
And peace on Earth forever.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
When you're talking about demand, you're talking about fan demand... from the Smash community. And looking at it objectively, Geno has been long-requested since Melee. As for popularity, I saw many people watching the E3 Direct going "Who?" Ridley and King K Rool were certainly due to their demand within the fan community. I believe I heard something of insiders saying Sakurai didn't know there was that much fan demand for King K Rool until they did the ballot. A lot of people don't remember King K Rool, because he's been a neglected character in his own franchise for decades.

To me, Ridley, King K Rool, Geno, and Banjo--make sense if the game is being made for the fans. That trend could change, but I suspect these characters will be in, and characters on the levels of Cloud and Ryu, like Sora and Heihachi, make sense for DLC.

I kiiinda agree with you but.

People REALLY underestimate the power of third parties and mass-appeal.
I can bet you, you could remove thousand of unit if Sonic was cut with the GIGANTIC Sonic fanbase
Same for Cloud and Snake.

If Geno get in, he will be base game as a gift for fans, but not DLC
Sora get in, he will attract thousands of KH/Disney/FF/SE fans whenever he's base game or DLC

Sora and Geno all have their right to be in smash, Geno maybe more.
But the general mass appeal isn't a ground he can fight on if he's ever DLC
Indeed--if the argument is characters with more mass appeal make more sense as DLC, then it would make sense for characters with less mass appeal to be in the base (otherwise by that logic, they'll never get in). You could argue the opposite, which I see much less, but that's fine. My problem is when people create a double standard and want it both ways. I, personally, don't think it makes much difference to the companies, as if it did, all third party companies would want to save their characters for DLC. But I see that argument a lot, so I give it the benefit of the doubt.

I'm pretty sure it will be the opposite.
I was using it as an example of the double standard being used. I wasn't saying that was the correct way to view it, just a double standard I see a lot to treat some characters as if they're money-makers and unpopular at the same time.

This kinda goes both ways, tbh. You could say "hardcore fans are going to get the game anyway, there's no need to add any more fan favourites." Just strike a balance.
I was neither arguing for or against the statements of if popular characters should be in the base. I was arguing against the double standard of treating certain characters as if they'd be money-makers for DLC but unpopular to be in the base game, without distinguishing between the two. But given the amount I had to correct, it seems like I wasn't making my point as clear as I thought I was.

Last edited:

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Banjo would get the crazy hype because HE'S COMMING HOME after all this time and is like Nintendo and Rare reunited.

Sora will get crazy hype because he HOLY **** THEY ****ING DID IT WHAT THE ****?! DISNEY SAID YES! And because Smash is a crossover and Sora is literally a character that represents a crossover.

And then...we Have Goku.
Goku gets in. Internet stop. Nintendo stocks raise Until they get all money on Earth.
Sakurai becomes Sakurai The First. First king of Nintendo land with his prime minister Reggie.
Goku getting in would represent the death of standards in Smash, and thus, the death of Smash as a whole. Goku getting in should be a worst case scenario, not a best case one.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

And then...we Have Goku.
Obviously there would be a resistance group, ideally called the Frieza Force
Goku getting in would represent the death of standards in Smash, and thus, the death of Smash as a whole. Goku getting in should be a worst case scenario, not a best case one.
We got Roy before his game came out, I doubt Smash had any standards ever since

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I would absolutely positively LOVE Goku getting into Smash :wario:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
So I bet nothing new and same old new argument ?

Also again with this Goku crap non sense ?
There no Goku argument. Just Someone who made a joke about hype Characters left.
Jesus is the previous page function not working for people?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Also again with this Goku crap non sense ?
People get so unabashedly angry immediately whenever Goku is mentioned lmao
Even when there's no argument

People overhype Banjo... again.
I'm a huge Banjo fan and I'm inclined to agree with you tbh
I have quite a lot of doubt

Last edited:

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
ITT: People overhype Banjo... again.
You know, as much as I want to agree with everything you say, you do realize if you end up being wrong people are going to spam you and SourceGaming and the rest of everyone who tried to temper expectations with at the very least cries of “I told you so” and at the very most, death threats, because that’s how the Smash community is.

Mrplutoguy112

Smash Apprentice
Goku being in smash is a joke

It’s never gonna happen for all the real reasons
1) He’s not a video game character
2) he’s an anime character
3) it would be totally unessasay to have Anime tv show character in smash.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
You know, as much as I want to agree with everything you say, you do realize if you end up being wrong people are going to spam you and SourceGaming and the rest of everyone who tried to temper expectations with at the very least cries of “I told you so” and at the very most, death threats, because that’s how the Smash community is.
That's true. The solution is however: **** em. People who go "I TOLD YOU SO MY FAVOURITE THING NOBODY ELSE CARES ABOUT GOT IN I TOLD YOU SO" are ****ing idiots who don't deserve to even have a second of anyone's attention and are only mad because My Favourite™ cared more about them than their parents did

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom