• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Goku being in smash is a joke

It’s never gonna happen for all the real reasons
1) He’s not a video game character
2) he’s an anime character
3) it would be totally unessasay to have Anime tv show character in smash.
This makes me want him in more
Because all three of those arguments are virtually the same aside from minor semantic differences.

:wario::wario::wario:

Stop with the Goku discussion before it gets any worse, please. I’m not reading 5 pages of parroting again.
Hahahaha
Forgive me
It's occasionally fun to support him openly and it has the extra benefit of rustling jimmies with little to no effort

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Luffy is getting in before Goku is...
I never said I didn't want Luffy more than Goku.
I've talked to my friends about how much I think Luffy's potential moveset would be way more friendly to a platform fighter haha.

I also love One Piece without shame.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Am I the only one that thinks Steve is more likely to be in as DLC than in the base roster?
I think Banjo and Kazooie will be in the game because of the ballot and will be the big surprise character that everyone gets hype about and that like Vergeben originally said Minecraft will only have a stage and assist just like MH.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I never said I didn't want Luffy more than Goku.
I've talked to my friends about how much I think Luffy's potential moveset would be way more friendly to a platform fighter haha.

I also love One Piece without shame.
You know, Luffy would just be Spring Man right?

Also I still need to sell my stupid ****ing box set of One Piece

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I'm not joking. One Piece is the highest selling manga of all time. Luffy is the one character to break the "video game" standard, not Goku...
Dragon Ball sold around 350million in 40 Something volume
One Piece 450 million in the double.

Guess who did better in the same run.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Agumon would be alot of Hype as well
For me personally, Pokemon vs Digimon is more hype than "yet another Pokemon".

You know, as much as I want to agree with everything you say, you do realize if you end up being wrong people are going to spam you and SourceGaming and the rest of everyone who tried to temper expectations with at the very least cries of “I told you so” and at the very most, death threats, because that’s how the Smash community is.
Nobody should ever send death threats over a video game--at most, buy more stuff surrounding the game if their character gets in (If Banjo's in, I would actually get amiibos just for that) or not buy the game as a protest vote. I've done the same with SourceGaming--seeing them not do anything on Banjo, and then ranking Steve over Banjo for bizarre reasons, made me not want to watch any of their other opinion videos (even though I respect them for their main purpose, archiving sources). Spamming does nothing but annoy people, effectively hurting their cause. And if Banjo got in--I would certainly have the temptation of saying "I told you so"--but then I'd realize I'd feel like **** if Steve got in and their fans said "I told you so", which I'm pretty sure would happen. So I won't (can't stop others from doing so, so this is my plea to them to not).

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Shantae is a character who I actually think would piss people off if she got in.
The general consensus for people who don’t want her in is that all of her fans are horny on main dumbasses.
That's just projecting, I'm asexual/aromatic and I think Shantae is an adorable character. I don't find anything attractive in that manner so not all of her fans are like that.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The only licensed character to stand a chance will be Popeye once he enters the public domain. Now can we please drop the subject? :smash:

If we're going for stretchy-limbed fighters, it's gotta be Lanky Kong
This, a hundred times.

Well, him and the ARMS crew, anyway.

I don't care about a theory with a box
I don't care about a theory with a :ultfox:

I don't care about a theory with a card
I don't care about a theory with :4charizard:

I don't care for a theory on the blog
I don't care for theories with the :ultduckhunt:

All these theories everyone's so quick to believe

Now we're talking about a Smash game featuring Steve

And honestly it's a chore keeping up with Vergeben

I'm ready for Incineroar and I'm ready for Ken.

I'm waiting for December and I'm growing rather weary,

Hearing people muse over every last stupid *** theory.
You get the Dr. Seuss award for this one, reading this was quite fun. :seuss:

Digimon and hype don't belong in the same sentence.
Well, there are people that do want to re-enact the old Pokémon/Digimon rivalry of the 90s/early 00s.

Monster Rancher is too dead to warrant that...

HAS NO GRACE

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Shantae is a character who I actually think would piss people off if she got in.
The general consensus for people who don’t want her in is that all of her fans are horny on main dumbasses.
If Rule 34 was a legitimate reason against any character, we might as well remove literally every single character in Smash and just put in a literal chair and a boot as playable characters and slap a pair of googly eyes on them. Since nobody would even like them for obvious reasons, you won't have to worry about anyone drawing lewd art of them. Problem "solved".

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
You know, the same talk about the popular characters and the common topics gets super mega boring and irritating sometimes and is part of why I've been quiet for a while. While I understand a slight bit of its appeal (though I'm not fond of any of them) and the wait for new stuff is troubling, there's other things to discuss, too you know... like stages or music. I'm basically trying to say there's more to Smash than just the roster itself, even though I know that's a major thing. So surely we can discuss other things. It'd probably decrease stress levels for a while.

Take example, thinking about an Underworld stage for Kid Icarus, or a Bowser's Castle stage. So when I think about an Underworld stage, I'm not saying it all because of Medusa and my support for her, but also because that would be another iconic place from the series to get recognition. At the same time, we got 2 Skyworld places, and a partial Forces of Nature spot with Reset Bomb Forest, but yet nothing for the Underworld, which has been literally the first place you're at in the original KI and was an important place not only there, but also in KIU. How do I envision it? A surprisingly simple stage with a simple design, with a moving background with various monster attacks appearing on the platform, including the well-known Eggplant Wizard, or something like that.
Honorable mention to me thinking about that Ancestral Steppe place with the Rathalos and if it'll be a new stage that will appear later on or not, or have a different role.

The point I'm trying to make with something like this is that we should take some time to appreciate some other things Smash has to offer, and not just stress over the roster itself like some riled up swarm of bees that may even go after each other. This is why I suggest talking about other stuff like stages and music. It may not be much, but perhaps it would be nice to do something else for a change and calm our minds. Plus it'd probably be a more relaxing way for us to occupy our time as we wait for new information.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I think Banjo and Kazooie will be in the game because of the ballot and will be the big surprise character that everyone gets hype about and that like Vergeben originally said Minecraft will only have a stage and assist just like MH.
I think geno makes more sense for that role tbh, he's been highly requested longer, he's owned by square who's already involved in the game and he got a mii costume. If Banjo gets in it'll be through dlc imo.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
If I had to choose two more third party characters out of any possibilities, I'd personally pick Crash Bandicoot and Spyro above anyone else.

The chances are slim and I don't expect them at all, but it would be nice.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That's just projecting, I'm asexual/aromatic and I think Shantae is an adorable character. I don't find anything attractive in that manner so not all of her fans are like that.

Mostly just the Gamefaqs scene that's saying that, they're acting like kids that don't like cooties.

You know, the same talk about the popular characters and the common topics gets super mega boring and irritating sometimes and is part of why I've been quiet for a while. While I understand a slight bit of its appeal (though I'm not fond of any of them) and the wait for new stuff is troubling, there's other things to discuss, too you know... like stages or music. I'm basically trying to say there's more to Smash than just the roster itself, even though I know that's a major thing. So surely we can discuss other things. It'd probably decrease stress levels for a while.

Take example, thinking about an Underworld stage for Kid Icarus, or a Bowser's Castle stage. So when I think about an Underworld stage, I'm not saying it all because of Medusa and my support for her, but also because that would be another iconic place from the series to get recognition. At the same time, we got 2 Skyworld places, and a partial Forces of Nature spot with Reset Bomb Forest, but yet nothing for the Underworld, which has been literally the first place you're at in the original KI and was an important place not only there, but also in KIU. How do I envision it? A surprisingly simple stage with a simple design, with a moving background with various monster attacks appearing on the platform, including the well-known Eggplant Wizard, or something like that.
Honorable mention to me thinking about that Ancestral Steppe place with the Rathalos and if it'll be a new stage that will appear later on or not, or have a different role.

The point I'm trying to make with something like this is that we should take some time to appreciate some other things Smash has to offer, and not just stress over the roster itself like some riled up swarm of bees that may even go after each other. This is why I suggest talking about other stuff like stages and music. It may not be much, but perhaps it would be nice to do something else for a change and calm our minds. Plus it'd probably be a more relaxing way for us to occupy our time as we wait for new information.
Well, I've been wondering myself about whether the other version of Vampire Killer will be the one here:

That said, if Rayman ever gets in here, an Olympus Maximus stage is a must, for obvious reasons. :ultpit::ultpalutena::ultdarkpit:

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I kiiinda agree with you but.

People REALLY underestimate the power of third parties and mass-appeal.
I can bet you, you could remove thousand of unit if Sonic was cut with the GIGANTIC Sonic fanbase
Same for Cloud and Snake.

If Geno get in, he will be base game as a gift for fans, but not DLC
Sora get in, he will attract thousands of KH/Disney/FF/SE fans whenever he's base game or DLC

Sora and Geno all have their right to be in smash, Geno maybe more.
But the general mass appeal isn't a ground he can fight on if he's ever DLC
Considering Melee sold 7 million with zero third party characters, and generally speaking Smash has only grown since then as a recognizable IP of its own, I don’t think we underestimate third party influence. Brawl sold 13 million in comparison, but that’s still a relatively minor portion of Wii consoles with Smash percentage wise compared to Gamecube.

Super Smash Bros is an insanely recognizable IP nowadays on its own. Ultimate didn’t even have to include any new third parties to immediately get recognition as a hyped up title because people wanted the series on Switch. Most people are buying it anyway who have an interest in Smash in the least bit because of the reputation of the series at this point.

Third parties get hype and buzz about the game going, but I doubt they seriously influence sells in the way people seem to claim with Steve, Sora, and whoever else they make the point with. I’m not saying it’s impossible that someone buys the game to play as a third party, just you be hard pressed to make any actual casual relationship between the two.

I mean Geno is objectively less of a symbol and loses in popularity contests for sure, but I do think that the whole third party characters influencing sales is vastly overstated. The entire fan base doesn’t just come with a character, and people interested in Smash tend to already buy it anyway.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Oh, no,no,no that's not true at all.

Also he can fly, which... jesus

So I'm hyped to possibly, maybe have Springman in the game.

Also the more I think about it, Isn't Lara bigger than Crash or Spyro?

I love them both but I've see way more reference to her than the other two.

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Mostly just the Gamefaqs scene that's saying that, they're acting like kids that don't like cooties.

Well, I've been wondering myself about whether the other version of Vampire Killer will be the one here:

That said, if Rayman ever gets in here, an Olympus Maximus stage is a must, for obvious reasons. :ultpit::ultpalutena::ultdarkpit:
Now you're getting it. I may not be able to connect to both of those franchises/series, but you're getting the idea. Plus that song is surprisingly interesting... my ears like.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Considering Melee sold 7 million with zero third party characters, and generally speaking Smash has only grown since then as a recognizable IP of its own, I don’t think we underestimate third party influence. Brawl sold 13 million in comparison, but that’s still a relatively minor portion of Wii consoles with Smash percentage wise compared to Gamecube.

Super Smash Bros is an insanely recognizable IP nowadays on its own. Ultimate didn’t even have to include any new third parties to immediately get recognition as a hyped up title because people wanted the series on Switch. Most people are buying it anyway who have an interest in Smash in the least bit because of the reputation of the series at this point.

Third parties get hype and buzz about the game going, but I doubt they seriously influence sells in the way people seem to claim with Steve, Sora, and whoever else they make the point with. I’m not saying it’s impossible that someone buys the game to play as a third party, just you be hard pressed to make any actual casual relationship between the two.

I mean Geno is objectively less of a symbol and loses in popularity contests for sure, but I do think that the whole third party characters influencing sales is vastly overstated. The entire fan base doesn’t just come with a character, and people interested in Smash tend to already buy it anyway.
Eh it's pretty unfair to use Melee/Gamecube sales compared to Brawl/Wii as the Wii was a huge success with casual fans whereas the Gamecube well... Wasn't. Hell, when I was a kid I didn't want Melee because even though Snorlax was playable because if you're on the box you're playable, Sonic was in Brawl, so nothing else mattered

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

Wanna bet how many people brought the game OUTSIDE OF THE SMASH BUBBLE just because it had their fav guest?

Trust me. You'll be surprised.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Speaking of dlc characters, I really hope they get full cgi trailers this time. In a way characters like Ryu, Cloud and Bayonetta didn't really need them and their announcement was enough, but I would have perferrerd cool trailers for them too. It's honestly the most exciting part of the newcomer reveals and I'm so glad it started in Smash 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom