• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Quick question for y'all, you guys believe in that one video Alax made about us getting something like 7-8 more characters? Because apparently some people I follow are believing it, and I mean, look. That'd be nuts. But I don't know if that'll be the case or not.

Majora's Visage

Smash Journeyman
Quick question for y'all, you guys believe in that one video Alax made about us getting something like 7-8 more characters? Because apparently some people I follow are believing it, and I mean, look. That'd be nuts. But I don't know if that'll be the case or not.
2-3 more uniques and I am guessing the same amount more echos

osby

Smash Obsessed
I say four is the absolute limit for remaining fighters, unique or not. I'd love to be proven wrong but everything points the opposite.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
The most I see is 6, and that's including Echoes...

D

Deleted member

I say four is the absolute limit for remaining fighters, unique or not. I'd love to be proven wrong but everything points the opposite.
Exactly. Four seems absolutely right, but with how people are taking Alax's video as truth, I guess we're gonna have more because ya gotta follow that train. Hasn't the blog stuff already been debunked in the first place?

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Pretty sure, it's already been deconfirmed

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Now you’ve got me wondering what the **** kind of digestive system he has.
I mean, it's gotta be pretty interesting considering he turns the things he eats into eggs nearly immediately.

I think it's only in Smash that they're seen to not be digested in some way during the process though.

I'm sure we could dedicate a whole science to Yoshi's metabolic systems.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I mean, it's gotta be pretty interesting considering he turns the things he eats into eggs nearly immediately.

I think it's only in Smash that they're seen to not be digested in some way during the process though.

Don’t even make me think about this...OH GOSH WHAT ABOUT KIRBY?!

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

In Super Mario World, the New Super Mario Bros. games, Mario Power Tennis, Super Mario Galaxy and ESPECIALLY Super Mario Odyssey, my boi doesn't even bother to turn them into eggs. He's just a black hole. He's like Kirby but without cheating :yoshi:

Mrplutoguy112

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone still hope to get Geno from Mario RPG in the character rooster for ultimate next round?
Maybe the next direct.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
In Super Mario World, the New Super Mario Bros. games, Mario Power Tennis, Super Mario Galaxy and ESPECIALLY Super Mario Odyssey, my boi doesn't even bother to turn them into eggs. He's just a black hole. He's like Kirby but without cheating :yoshi:
So, uh. Y’know how Ashley defeated Humgry? Got a feelin’ this new demon Yoshi we just created should take his place.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
It just kinda makes me feel weird about Kirby with Yoshi's power.
And it kinda makes me wish for a Yoshi with Kirby's power.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Does anyone still hope to get Geno from Mario RPG in the character rooster for ultimate next round?
Maybe the next direct.
Geno have the same chance as always, which is good.
It's just the competition that becomes stronger as the days pass.

osby

Smash Obsessed
KIRBY CHEATS?! I'm so disappointed of him.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
As I've mentioned, while I agree with the videos, I find that the Reddit post, Gamexplain's video, and Alax's video describing "Blog Theory"--has done more in obfuscating what are some really simple assumptions. Many of us back in August noted the same thing--with an average of three character posts per week, and the number of characters already revealed, if the rate of character posts did not change, there could be a maximum of 7-8 characters (8-9 when I did it initially before Isabelle's reveal) that hadn't been revealed yet. All the Reddit post and Alax's video did was over complicated it using more math than needed. I've likened it to using a supercomputer in order to calculate the number of piano tuners in Chicago--despite a simple back-of-the-envelope calculation accomplishing the same thing.

However, as a result, people misinterpret it as being a character count--rather than the maximum amount that it is, because it assumes the rate of posts would not change. I think that's a fair assumption, but an assumption nonetheless. And with Sakurai's recent statements, it could potentially be a false assumption. If they had planned out too many characters up front, and from here on out are slowing down, then the assumption that the rate of posts would not change is flawed. But only if the rate of blog posts matches the pace of reveals Sakurai described. So far, the rate has not changed, but we'll have to see in a couple of weeks if that changes.

And I do not think that having 7-8 more characters left is as ridiculous as some people think. An example using past precedents:

October (3): A Pokemon is revealed around a Pokemon Direct. A standalone announcement, like Robin/Lucina, could reveal a unique newcomer and echo.
November (4-5): A Smash Direct just like the August one: 2 unique characters, and 2-3 echoes revealed.

This is a hypothetical timeline that allows 7-8 characters, but not as ridiculous as some believe given we only have two months left. Put in another way, between June and August we had 8 characters revealed. Between September and November, we could just as easily have 8 character reveals, 7 now that Isabelle has been revealed. Doesn't *have* to be that way, but not as ridiculous as people like to make it sound.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Put it this way: OF COURSE the pink thing with the pocket dimension can eat so much. It only makes my boi seem more impressive that he can pack it in just as much WITHOUT a pocket dimension... :yoshi:
Unlike Kirby, though, Yoshi has a family.
Or at least a proliferated race that is more than the character itself along with an edgy version of it with a sword.

(I mean, if Boshi has a sword though that'd be pretty great. He's our next anime swordsman.)

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
That could be an explanation yes, however keep this in mind:

https://twitter.com/Jesse_deValk/status/1035722714361815040?s=09

This is my drawing she retweeted early September. She never deleted the retweet. Also, it seems weird to me to retweet and like it and all the sudden right after doing so, realize how that might be suspicious, especially when she's already shown somewhat suspicious behavior before and has been called out on it, then even went on to like that tweet calling her out. She's likely aware of what she's doing, and she definitely doesn't seem like she'd be that oblivious. Though of course I don't know her personally. Not saying it can't be the case, but it seems odd to me.
This would be awesome. She could also be voicing Medusa as a boss and thus still be technically voicing Medusa in Smash. There's so much about Spirits we don't know...
I think that video was based on blog Theory which is already falling flat. It was based on too many assumptions anyway.

I think at most we will get 4 more (echoes included) and honestly even that would be a surprise. I'm really feeling 3 more max...

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
RelaxAlax is a paid shill for Nintendo so of course he’d be trying to skyrocket expectations
I mean he makes good content, but he’s so obviously a Nintendo advertiser it’s not even funny.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
RelaxAlax is a paid shill for Nintendo so of course he’d be trying to skyrocket expectations
I mean he makes good content, but he’s so obviously a Nintendo advertiser it’s not even funny.
I seriously doubt Nintendo would just pay a YouTuber to advertise for them. Unless it was a paid promotion, which Alax isn’t doing.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Unlike Kirby, though, Yoshi has a family.
Or at least a proliferated race that is more than the character itself along with an edgy version of it with a sword.

(I mean, if Boshi has a sword though that'd be pretty great. He's our next anime swordsman.)
I have a feeling that if Boshi never shown up in SMRPG, he'd eventually come to life as someone's OC. That's the nature of the internet... :yoshi:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Is it time to pull out the tinfoil hats again?

D

Deleted member

Yikes, and I thought Rogersbase jabbing at Alpharad was deep lmao

All you guys' answers are definitely good and interesting to note, by the way. I think we just need that confirmation for the second Direct before anything so we can try and predict other stuff to make it easy on all of us.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Yeah, but how do you sell a one-hit wonder (no offense Geno fans) to people outside the core Smash community? They’d make a boatload more money if it was like, Sora or somebody.
Exactly. I feel like some people want it both ways. Sora is more popular to general audiences, so Sora should be in the base with Geno as DLC because it would make more money for Square (EDIT: I'm not saying this as an opinion, but describing a double standard I see often). But then, wouldn't the more popular character to general audiences make more sense as DLC to make more money? Same thing with Banjo/Steve. They say that Banjo should be DLC because he'd be a money-maker for Microsoft. They would then say Banjo couldn't be in the base because he's not as popular to general audiences as Steve. Which is it?

Smash is going to sell gangbusters. However, I don't feel like any amount of "pandering to general audiences" would make Ultimate a better sell to the undecided. I saw many of the undecideds watching Smash at E3--and were still not convinced to pick up Smash because they see it as the same game as all the others (though, we all know better here). A character they recognize will not make much of a difference if they're not into the style of game itself. The only way to reach them would be to dramatically overhaul the game, which I suspect if they make another Smash game, is what they will do. Ultimate will be the ultimate Smash game for fans, and a hypothetical reboot of Smash, complete overhaul with less characters, would appeal to more people.

Which is why personally I think the Ultimate Smash game should have long-time fan requested characters like Geno and Banjo, similarly to Ridley and King K Rool.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom