• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
I said it to PapaGenos and I'll say it to you too:

That idea is incredibly stupid.
B-but Sakuraitheabosultemadman.argument

Promotional material ultimately adds up to two things: jack and ****. Everyone is going to get revealed in full-on announcements. Sakurai is wacky to some degree, but doing mental gymnastics with his words to justify a fanmade theory is reaching to the nth degree.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
This is Tower of Smash "there are unrevealed characters if you link the 3DS and Wii U versions of Smash Bros" level of mental gymnastics right here. Sakurai said we'd get every newcomer before release, and I highly doubt that when he said it he meant "we'll save a couple of characters until after we tell you we've revealed the full roster and put it in promotional material."

If Incineroar and Ken is all we get, any character after that is going to be DLC.

She technically got revealed alongside Dark Pit and Lucina, who were reclassed as echo fighters.
I try not to take sides on topics like this, but after reading your posts and watching papagenos papagenos video on the matter, I feel like I could add one specific point to this conversation.

We won't know what the final roster will be until Sakurai explicitly states it himself.

No promotional material, at any point leading up to release, can be confirmed to have final base roster, unless it's produced/revealed after that point.

If we get Incineroar and Ken revealed next, but Sakurai doesn't explicitly state that this is the complete base roster, we can logically assume that there is at least one more character (echo or not) beyond that, which would deconfirm the specific part of the box theory about their being exactly 72 fighters (- Miis)

The box that we've seen could very well be released as is or after the suspected pair get revealed, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the box has the full roster, especially if any character gets revealed past November 2nd. The now-released card proves that promo material can have an incomplete roster.

Meaning the only way the full "box theory" will be proven true is if one newcomer + one echo between Palutena and Cloud are revealed as the final characters in the base roster more than a month before the game releases.

D

Deleted member

What do you feel about "husbando-bait" characters, or parallels to the ones you listed. @osby specifically asked for your opinion about Owain from Fire Emblem Awakening, a game in which you hate every female character.
Oh! I misread. I was about to quote Kanji's dude quote lol.

Well, I mean, Owain's...very hyper. He's okay I guess. His whole "Epic Dramatic Attack!" thing can get annoying. But he's fine I guess. Zeke from Xenobade Chronicles 2 is the better version of him, I would say.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Question in regards to the playlist update.

As impossible as it is, if there IS an unlisted video there, isn't it possible it could leak as long as someone found the link?
Well at that point why not just guess Sakurai's phone number, call him up and ask who the character is?

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I don't mean to speak for him but maybe people should consider laying off the Papagenos tagging a little bit. The dude's only human and everytime people tag him it's just to say they watched a video. Why not save the tags for actual questions and input on certain subjects?

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Does that mean we can get Snow Halation as a song?

That'd be a good meme right there.

Okay, but what if, it's a song on a Kingdom Hearts stage because why the **** not?

Just another reason for Sora's inclusion.
*Xehanort Tales

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it would have to be a private video, as I find unlisted videos in playlists all the time. My guess is it's a private video, and even with the link you wouldn't be able to view it (though I've never had a link to a private video, so not sure how that would work). Still, nobody would be able to get any hint unless that butterfingers intern accidentally messes up again somehow.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'm of the opinion that fanservice is fine as long as it doesn't get in the way of telling your story.

For example, in Persona everyone going to the beach in swimsuits is, yeah okay, pretty reasonable.

Then there's fanservice like Fates bringing back characters from Awakening through PARALLEL DIMENSIONS AND REINCARNATION.

D

Deleted member

I'm of the opinion that fanservice is fine as long as it doesn't get in the way of telling your story.

For example, in Persona everyone going to the beach in swimsuits is, yeah okay, pretty reasonable.

Then there's fanservice like Fates bringing back characters from Awakening through PARALLEL DIMENSIONS AND REINCARNATION.
I guess I'm the same. When it comes down to it, I just prefer games that are, how to describe it, realistic I guess? But then again, some of my favorite series are probably not what you'd call realistic lol. What I'm trying to say is I prefer games in the styles of Legend of Zelda, Metroid, SMT, Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania, Devil May Cry, and Fallout as opposed to games like Fire Emblem, Persona, and other titles like them.

I'm not going to judge you if you like fanservice. Whatever keeps your boat afloat in this storm of a world we live in. I just like the 80s, 90s, and 2000s kind of games, if that makes any sense.

Shroob

Sup?
I think deep down, a good chunk of us want the reveal to be the last Smash Direct to put all the theories six feet under.

D

Deleted member

I think deep down, a good chunk of us want the reveal to be the last Smash Direct to put all the theories six feet under.
Same. Put them all in the graveyard!

Last edited by a moderator:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Of course, butI've learned to keep my hopes low and my expectations lower. I've got hundreds of "wouldn't it be cool if..." but thousands of "yeah, but..."

Shroob

Sup?
Of course, butI've learned to keep my hopes low and my expectations lower. I've got hundreds of "wouldn't it be cool if..." but thousands of "yeah, but..."
I mean, if we do indeed get a Smash Direct next week, I legit can't see it as anything but the 'final' one. It'd be really odd to have two Smash Directs back to back, one in October and one in November.

D

Deleted member

So uh, to change the subject, what do you want to next Smash related Direct to contain aside from a character reveal?

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
So uh, to change the subject, what do you want to next Smash related Direct to contain aside from a character reveal?
Stage Builder, as well as a clarification that we can still put our Miis onto the Mii Fighters.

So, out of these third party candidates I'm listing below, I'd like you to rank them on how "hype" they would be to you.

It'd help if you would rank them by number. Oh, an feel free to give me your reason/thoughts. I love reading your guys opinions :).
  1. Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
    • Mainly because I recently got into the series thanks to it being recommended to me, but also because I want to see Nomura's magnum opus franchise and Kojima's magnum opus franchise (Yeah, what Final Fantasy? Come at me, bro), smack eachother around on Final Destination. Then take a picture of it and photoshop Sakurai in the background going "Never Ask Me For Anything Ever Again."
  2. Zero (Mega Man X)
    • Only other Mega Man rep I can think of tbh. Please no robot masters; give them a seperate fighting game of their own, or we'd have yet another Pokemon problem on our hands.
  3. Jin Kazama (Tekken)
    • Because Illidan Stormrage would feel too American, and I can't think of anyone else that has devil horns, devils wings, can shoot lasers from their eyes, and is slightly less terrible then everyone else in their respective games (and I say that with gritted teeth considering Tekken 6's story).
  4. Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
    • I will never say no to more female characters in Smash for any reason... with a handful of exceptions which I can't mention because doing so without the proper explanation would result in people getting the wrong idea, and I can't get into that explanation because it'd drive us off-topic and linking the person who could explain my reasons better then I ever could myself would result in me getting an earfull of acid from said youtuber's... creepily vocal hatebase.
  5. Doomguy (DOOM)
    • He's the protagonist of one of the only first-person shooters that could get away with being represented in Smash Bros. The only others I can think of being Overwatch and Fortnite, and I know how much ya'll don't like the latter.
  6. Llyod Irving (Tales of series)
    • He seems alright, I guess.
  7. Dante (Devil May Cry)
    • They put in Bayonetta, so of course people are going to go to bat for other games Platinum games has worked on (Metal Gear Rising, Nier: Automata, Wonderful 101, Madworld) and in Dante's case, other games Hideki Kamiya has worked on (Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe, Okami). I'm a little less interested in him getting in because it turns out that I will not be looking into trying out the Devil May Cry games anytime soon, after all. But I'd still be happy for ya'll if he gets in.
  8. Leon Kennedy (Resident Evil)
    • I'd prefer Jill Valentine, Ada Wong or Claire Redfield, but if Leon's inclusion is what paves the way for any of those characters to get in, then by all means, bring him in.
  9. Rayman (...Rayman)
    • I don't like the idea of an Ubisoft character in Smash, and if there had to be one, I'd much rather have Travis Touchdown simply for the prospect of hearing possibly hearing one of these bad boys playing in the background of a Smash tournament. That being said, I wouldn't so much be opposed to Rayman's inclusion so much as "not hyped whatsoever" as he just doesn't interest m-- hmm... *Smol FirestormNeos FirestormNeos does a remember about some of Rayman's side characters* Okay scratch that, I'd be somewhat hyped for Rayman.
  10. Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
    • I've no interest in the Ninja Gaiden series, and honestly I wouldn't be hyped, but I'd be happy for his fans, just as long as his Down-B isn't a counter.
  11. Bill Rizier (Contra)
    1. I've no interest in the Contra series, and honestly I wouldn't be hyped, but I'd be happy for his fans, just as long as his Down-B isn't a counter.
  12. Kazuma Kiryu (Yakuza)
    • I've no interest in the Yakuza series, and honestly I wouldn't be hyped, but I'd be happy for his fans, just as long as his Down-B isn't a counter.
  13. Dark Souls Protagonist (Dark Souls)
    • Ew.
So how would guys react to the notion of spirits mode actually being a mode where you raise chibi versions of Smash characters to improve their Smash fighter AI? Like you're in this mode where have a Blazblue Cross Tag Battle chibi styled version of a Smash character, and the more your praise, train, whatever, the stronger it's AI gets in battle.
How mad would you be if that happened?
At first, I'd laugh my *** off at the Smash Community's salty tears of this happening.

Ultimately (heh), however, I don't think I'd think badly of it, so long as the only thing locked behind the mode were trophies.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Question in regards to the playlist update.

As impossible as it is, if there IS an unlisted video there, isn't it possible it could leak as long as someone found the link?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it would have to be a private video, as I find unlisted videos in playlists all the time. My guess is it's a private video, and even with the link you wouldn't be able to view it (though I've never had a link to a private video, so not sure how that would work). Still, nobody would be able to get any hint unless that butterfingers intern accidentally messes up again somehow.
Unlisted videos will still appear in playlists as normal (in fact all the character showcase videos are unlisted), and private videos will appear too, just the private videos will be labelled as such with a blank thumbnail, while clicking them will just bring you to the page telling you the video is private and you can't watch it. Then a video scheduled to publish later will appear as a private video in a playlist until the publishing time is reached.

So you can't have a video in a playlist invisible to the userbase, and we would see if they added a new video to the playlist.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Unlisted videos will still appear in playlists as normal (in fact all the character showcase videos are unlisted), and private videos will appear too, just the private videos will be labelled as such with a blank thumbnail, while clicking them will just bring you to the page telling you the video is private and you can't watch it. Then a video scheduled to publish later will appear as a private video in a playlist until the publishing time is reached.

So you can't have a video in a playlist invisible to the userbase, and we would see if they added a new video to the playlist.
So if that's the case, what did they do?

We know the only time they've ever done this was before the 8.8 Direct and September Direct, so... what could it have been otherwise?

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

We know the only time they've ever done this was before the 8.8 Direct and September Direct, so... what could it have been otherwise?
Putting a video up in preparation only to remove it a second later, perhaps.

Who knows, Nintendo does some odd **** on their Youtube.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion

I think it's just terminology. It's a private video that was added with a clock (possibly automatically made public next week), not an unlisted one.

Edit: nevermind I'm confused too. I'm pretty sure you can 100% hide videos in a playlist and keep them unlisted.

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant

They modified something with the playlist, maybe added and removed a video, or it could have just been some tinkering around with the description or videos already there, but they certainly didn't leave an invisible video there.

I think it's just terminology. It's a private video that was added with a clock (possibly automatically made public next week), not an unlisted one.

Edit: nevermind I'm confused too. I'm pretty sure you can 100% hide videos in a playlist and keep them unlisted.
You can't hide a video in a playlist, unlisted videos will still appear as normal (unlisted just means the video won't show up on your channel and through browsing features), private videos will appear but labelled as such with a blank thumbnail, and scheduled videos will appear as private videos until their publishing time.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
They modified something with the playlist, maybe added and removed a video, but they didn't leave an invisible video there.

You can't hide a video in a playlist, unlisted videos will still appear as normal (unlisted just means the video won't show up on your channel and through browsing features), private videos will appear but labelled as such with a blank thumbnail, and scheduled videos will appear as private videos until their publishing time.

So now I'm confused.

We have evidence to support that they've only ever done this before a reveal, but they did....basically nothing?

That's just bizarre.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Today's stage is Saffron City...

"A stage based on Saffron City from Pokémon Red & Pokémon Blue. Pokémon appear from the doorway of the building at the center of the stage. Watch out for when Electrode appears!"

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm still confused to what playlist we're even talking about to be honest.

However, I do remember someone reporting that the Direct page on Nintendo's Website had gotten shuffled like usual before an announcement or something. And then the whole playlist thing. And then the "new" disappearing from the Fighters tab on the website. Kinda strange for all that to happen right around the same time.

Unless, of course, there really is something on the horizon.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm still confused to what playlist we're even talking about to be honest.

However, I do remember someone reporting that the Direct page on Nintendo's Website had gotten shuffled like usual before an announcement or something. And then the whole playlist thing. And then the "new" disappearing from the Fighters tab on the website. Kinda strange for all that to happen right around the same time.

Unless, of course, there really is something on the horizon.
The playlist is the Japanese one that hosts all the 20 second character gameplay trailers on Youtube.

The only time they've ****ed with it in the past is before 8.8, and before the September Direct, that's it.

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424

"A stage based on Saffron City from Pokémon Red & Pokémon Blue. Pokémon appear from the doorway of the building at the center of the stage. Watch out for when Electrode appears!"
I'm really happy that Saffron city is coming back. It was one of my favourite Smash 64 stages. Although I wish Sector Z and Planet Zebes were returning as well. Playing Sector Z with Melee's rendition of "Venom" would be awesome.

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
So now I'm confused.

We have evidence to support that they've only ever done this before a reveal, but they did....basically nothing?

That's just bizarre.
They probably were testing something to make sure everything is ready to go come reveal time, though what it was we wouldn't know unless someone was there to see it when it happened.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Everything else this game will ship with. :p

Will inevitably be among the top 5 most played stages on my copy of the game, like Dream Land and Hyrule Castle before it. Nostalgia is a powerful thing.

Shroob

Sup?
So now the biggest thing is to just....wait.

Someone on Reddit mentioned that Isabelle's peekaboo on the Playlist happened 10 days before she got revealed, so that would put us squarely on.......October 13th, exactly one month since Isabelle was revealed after the delay. IF they follow the same formula, of course.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
So now the biggest thing is to just....wait.

Someone on Reddit mentioned that Isabelle's peekaboo on the Playlist happened 10 days before she got revealed, so that would put us squarely on.......October 13th, exactly one month since Isabelle was revealed after the delay. IF they follow the same formula, of course.
Was the 10 days away from when she was planned to be revealed (September 6th)?

Noipoi

Howdy!

I love Saffron City! It evokes a very original Pokemon feeling. It takes me back to a time I wasn't born in, playing games i've never played.

It's spooky time bois

Shroob

Sup?
Was the 10 days away from when she was planned to be revealed (September 6th)?
No clue.

I've seen the screenshot of the reddit thread that originally mentioned Isabelle's peekaboo, but I can't find it myself.

That, and the screenshot didn't give a timestamp, since it just said "Posted 4 days ago".

SirCamp

Smash Ace
I mean, if we do indeed get a Smash Direct next week, I legit can't see it as anything but the 'final' one. It'd be really odd to have two Smash Directs back to back, one in October and one in November.

I get that, but honestly given the information cycles we've had in the past I would find it even more odd if we got no more new information from next week to launch. Like, that's quite a bit of time leading up to release that they should theoretically be using to garner hype.

Shroob

Sup?
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/9bvruj/jp_challenger_playlist_updated_4_days_ago/

Here we go.

The post was made August 31st, and the playlist was edited 4 days before that.

It looks like they were prepared to launch Isabelle normally, unsurprisingly, but then the delay happened.

So yeah. She was meant to go live on the 6th, playlist was updated on the 27th/28th. 10-11 days beforehand.

SirCamp said:
I get that, but honestly given the information cycles we've had in the past I would find it even more odd if we got no more new information from next week to launch. Like, that's quite a bit of time leading up to release that they should theoretically be using to garner hype.
Four words:

November Global Test Smash

Like, newcomer reveals are great and all. But you want to make people REALLY excited? How about a week-two week long demo to not only test the servers out, but also let EVERYONE(who has a Nintendo Online Subscription of course) to test the game a month before launch?

Last edited:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Four words:

November Global Test Smash

Like, newcomer reveals are great and all. But you want to make people REALLY excited? How about a week-two week long demo to not only test the servers out, but also let EVERYONE(who has a Nintendo Online Subscription of course) to test the game a month before launch?
That's definitely fair and certainly possible. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see then.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Can someone tell me what the hell is this card theory thing I’m seeing popping up now?

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

I hope Silph ends up getting spelt correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom