• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cothero

Smash Lord
My thoughts about Shadow? Maybe Sakurai doesn't see him as a potential echo for Sonic, so maybe he won't include him. Sakurai always stated that third party representation is kept at minimum in smash, so i can't see two original reps from one third party franchise. Richter is very similar to Simon in Castlevania and Ken is very similar to Ryu in the early SF games, but i honestly can't see many similarities between Shadow and Sonic, they play very differently.

xjthegulpin

Smash Apprentice
Sooo like....no one else finds it weird that these leaks and theories basically state that Splatoon and Castlevania are the ONLY new IPs with characters? Smash 4’s introduction started off with three brand new characters from new IPs. It’s just weird to only have two this time around, it’s a very small nitpick so I cant really complain if that should be the case during release and these leaks are correct.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Your rant didn't bother me, as I feel the same in a way. You can think a character makes perfect sense, and if it's possible, then it seems reasonable to want to expect it. You are special, though--you get to decide if Ultimate is ultimately (heh heh) worth your money, with or without Shadow. If it's worth it, great. If not, nobody can tell you otherwise (not saying that's the case for you, but whenever people talk about entitlement that's my first criticism). Indeed nobody is entitled to a character, but likewise Nintendo isn't entitled to a sale. It can be difficult, though, when you're in the middle and while it's still worth it for you, it still feels like something's "missing". That third option is how I feel with Shadow--I can get Ultimate even if he's not revealed, but it would still feel like such a missed opportunity.
You pretty much nailed it for me. I am really excited for ultimate and can't wait to get it. So Nintendo's already sold me on it and I'm not going to go "BOYCOTT ULTIMATE FOR NOT INCLUDING WHO I WANT!!!" That'd be incredibly silly.

The problem is, like you said, I will feel like Ultimate missed a HUGE opportunity should Shadow not make it, and it'd be pretty damn unfortunate.

I didn't feel as strongly about Ultra Sun and Moon giving us actually decent, not half-assed content, but that game was kind of the same deal for me. Since I'm a hardcore pokemon fan, I was already going to buy Ultra, but my enthusiasm was really low and I overall felt the game was a huge missed opportunity.

Banjo's not one of my top requests but I would love to see him make it, especially over or alongside Steve. Here's to hoping we can both be happy come launch or DLC!

Shroob

Sup?
Sooo like....no one else finds it weird that these leaks and theories basically state that Splatoon and Castlevania are the ONLY new IPs with characters? Smash 4’s introduction started off with three brand new characters from new IPs. It’s just weird to only have two this time around, it’s a very small nitpick so I cant really complain if that should be the case during release and these leaks are correct.

The thing is, outside of 3rd party franchises, there just aren't a lot of new IPs left for Nintendo to pull from.

Outside of more niche games like Rhythm Heaven or Golden Sun, there just isn't a lot left.

Splatoon was arguably Nintendo's last 'big' IP left to get into Smash, and ARMs has been deemed 'too new'.

So that just leaves 3rd parties and retro picks, among the other niche franchises which may or may not get in.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Not really suprising. Ultimate pretty much only draws from fan picks and only really big fan picks that are from new IPs are Isaac, Banjo-Kazooie and... that's pretty much it.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
That's been my problem so far. I'm hoping Inklings isn't the only first party character from a new series--which is my top pick for that is Isaac, and possibly a Felix echo. And of course I'm rooting for a new IP from a third party series :p (who is, technically, possibly in the DK canon given Diddy Kong Racing).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
That's been my problem so far. I'm hoping Inklings isn't the only first party character from a new series--which is my top pick for that is Isaac, and possibly a Felix echo. And of course I'm rooting for a new IP from a third party series :p (who is, technically, possibly in the DK canon given Diddy Kong Racing).
Dude I have never ****ing seen anyone want Conker before this holy ****

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Were that any of us were so important as to even be an afterthought to Sakurai.
Don't worry, I've come up with a few ways we can "get through" to Sakurai:

1. Being a Japanese game developer with years of friendship with him and a massively popular IP you own.
2. Have the stars align and have your most wanted game be either popular, relevant, easy to procure the rights to, or impactful on videogame/Nintendo history, ( and releases far before the initial project plan.)
3. Gather a massive group and whine for ALMOST TWENTY YEARS.
4. Be Sakurai.
5. Be Sakurai's boss.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Dude I have never ****ing seen anyone want Conker before this holy ****
You joke, and without wanting to offend anybody, if I personally was able to have a second Microsoft character... I mean, come on, he'd come with a ****ing chainsaw.

(my first pick, if you can't obviously guess, is Pipsy :p)

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
My thoughts about Shadow? Maybe Sakurai doesn't see him as a potential echo for Sonic, so maybe he won't include him. Sakurai always stated that third party representation is kept at minimum in smash, so i can't see two original reps from one third party franchise. Richter is very similar to Simon in Castlevania and Ken is very similar to Ryu in the early SF games, but i honestly can't see many similarities between Shadow and Sonic, they play very differently.
You have a point...maybe he will, maybe he won't. In most Sonic games, the two play nearly identically. Shadow has chaos powers and a bike and stuff but that was either in spinoffs like his titular game or Sonic Battle.

But in SA2B, they play the same. In Heroes, they play the same. Go down the list where the two are both playable up until Sonic Forces and you'll realize in almost every instance, they play very similarly.

To me, I'd hope Shadow's other abilities would have him be in as a semi clone, but I know that's way too much to expect or ask, so I am 100% fine with and hoping he makes it as an echo of sonic with a couple of tweaks. Like I've said before, Sakurai will look at Shadow and say "oh that's black Sonic, boom echo," and I'd be over the moon in hype just to see him in. If Shadow is a semi clone and plays anywhere near like he plays in the fan game (Smash Unity is it called? idfk) then idk what'd I'd do XD

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well echoes aren't going to be from new series, and if we are set to only receive one more non-echo in base, that would put us at six characters. One third isn't a terrible ratio. DLC will probably take it from there.

3. Gather a massive group and whine for ALMOST TWENTY YEARS.
The Isaac fans are within spitting distance... so any day now...

Any day...

D

Deleted member

So, out of these third party candidates I'm listing below, I'd like you to rank them on how "hype" they would be to you.

The canidates are:
Zero (Mega Man X)
Leon Kennedy (Resident Evil)
Dante (Devil May Cry)
Jin Kazma (Tekken)
Dark Souls Protagonist (Dark Souls)
Llyod Irving (Tales of series)
Kazuma Kiryu (Yakuza)
Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
Bill Rizier (Contra)
Doomguy (DOOM)
Rayman (...Rayman)

It'd help if you would rank them by number. Oh, an feel free to give me your reason/thoughts. I love reading your guys opinions :).

D

Deleted member

Don't worry, I've come up with a few ways we can "get through" to Sakurai:

1. Being a Japanese game developer with years of friendship with him and a massively popular IP you own.
I wish. My lifelong dream is to be a video game developer. But maybe minus the whole the "Sakurai frendship" thing.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So, out of these third party candidates I'm listing below, I'd like you to rank them on how "hype" they would be to you.

It'd help if you would rank them by number. Oh, an feel free to give me your reason/thoughts. I love reading your guys opinions :).
  1. Doomguy (DOOM)
  2. Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
  3. Dante (Devil May Cry)
  4. Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
  5. Leon Kennedy (Resident Evil)
  6. Rayman (...Rayman)
  7. Dark Souls Protagonist (Dark Souls)
  8. Bill Rizier (Contra)
  9. Kazuma Kiryu (Yakuza)
  10. Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
  11. Llyod Irving (Tales of series)
  12. Jin Kazma (Tekken)
  13. Zero (Mega Man X)
Top 3 are my babies and have shaped the way I appreciate videogames and games I've played over and over and over and over again.
4-11 are just plain old good games that I've completed once or twice and don't really plan on playing again.
12 is only so low because in terms of Mishimas, I want Kazuya, then Heihachi, theeeeen Jin.
No offense to 13, but I'd just rather have more Capcom IPs represented than another Megaman character. And if were going to get a 2nd unique megaman character, I'd rather it be Sigma.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

cothero

Smash Lord
Splatoon and Arms are the only two new Nintendo IP's that could get chacters in Ultimate, maybe a little too early for an Arms rep on the base roster, but it could be added as DLC. Also, that Hitagi guy mentioned a Dragalia Lost character too, which is a HUGE success in Japan and one of Nintendo newest IP's.

Last edited:

amazonevan19

Smash Ace

The canidates are:
Zero (Mega Man X)
Dante (Devil May Cry)
Jin Kazma (Tekken)
Kazuma Kiryu (Yakuza)
Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
Bill Rizier (Contra)
Doomguy (DOOM)
Rayman (...Rayman)

From top to bottomi in terms of hype:

1. Doomguy - holy hell (heh) I love DOOM. It'd be so badass being able to RIP and TEAR Jigglypuff. He has deep Nintendo history and strong recency in Doom for Switch port and the upcoming Doom Eternal. I'm sure he'd have an amazing moveset and I'd love watching Sakurai's cheekiness in discussing Doomguy - "it's said that BFG stands for Big Fantastic Gun! *grins and winks*"

2. Rayman - though my personal experience with him is limited, I like Rayman and he'd be an excellent representative of the Ubisoft/Nintendo partnership. The only problem is, how the hell would they make his amiibo?

3. Ryu Hayabusa - little direct experience with the character even though I own a copy of Ninja Gaiden Black for the Xbox. (A friend let me borrow his Xbox but I couldn't get it to work on my TV). With OG Ninja Gaiden coming to the NES classic lineup, I think Ryu would be insanely hype to have in the game. Only issue is potential confusion with the other Ryu...

4. Dark Souls Protagonist - I am pretty hyped for Dark Souls on Switch and what better way to get another Bandai Namco rep in than through having the Dark Souls duderino in? Having one of his taunts be Praising the Sun is 100000% mandatory. :p

5. Sora - I played some of the original KH on playstation aaaaaaaaaagges ago and really like the series generally speaking. Just never was able to get into it really. While I'd prefer Geno as the SE rep, Sora is pretty cool and I'd be in favor of him making it.

6. Zero - He's like the Shadow of the Mega Man series. Pretty cool but I have limited experience with him directly.

7. Lara Croft - practically no direct experience but she seems badass and tomb raider is a very longstanding, storied franchise.

8-?. Everyone else on your list (don't have any experience with them and would thus be entirely indifferent to their inclusion)

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
QUOTE="Alastor017, post: 22505477, member: 405572"]So, out of these third party candidates I'm listing below, I'd like you to rank them on how "hype" they would be to you.[/QUOTE]

Rayman (...Rayman)
Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
Zero (Mega Man X)
Dante (Devil May Cry)
Jin Kazma (Tekken)
Kazuma Kiryu (Yakuza)
Bill Rizier (Contra)
Doomguy (DOOM)

No reasons here. Sorry, its 1 am over here.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
It was a game that failed massively.

I doubt it'd have any major consideration when selecting newcomers.
Still, I'm honestly baffled he hasn't gone beyond trophy status. No stage, no assist, no item, not even music. Even games like Custom Robo and other obscure IPs get at least a bit of love outside of the trophy room, and Chibi DID survive up until the 3DS, something other lesser Nintendo IPs can't say.

I love the first game. Not so much the other games in the series, but I'd love some representation. Obviously not as a fighter, but I think he's earned at least something beyond a basic trophy.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Splatoon and Arms are the only two new Nintendo IP's that could get chacters in Ultimate, maybe a little too early for an Arms rep on the base roster, but it could be added as DLC. Also, that Hitagi guy mentioned a Dragalia Lost character too, which is a HUGE success in Japan and one of Nintendo newest IP's.
Wait. When did Hitagi mention a Dragalia Lost character for Smash? Do you have a source?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Also, that Hitagi guy mentioned a Dragalia Lost character too, which is a HUGE success in Japan and one of Nintendo newest IP's.
The day a Dragalia Lost character gets into Smash is the day my cynicism grows so big it kills me.
What is Dragalia? Some sort of JRPG?
Mobile phone game made by Cygames and Nintendo.
Has gacha elements and a top-down real-time combat system.

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Did we all just decide all of a sudden that Chibi-Robo doesn't stand a chance? I feel like we never talk about him and he had a game come out during what we think is the right time for Smash consideration.
Besides what people said about Zip-Lash, Chibi-Robo is simply just an obscure character with low demand, when fan demand is more important than ever and there being less newcomers for the base game than in Brawl and Smash 4. If this was Smash 4 2.0 where relevancy was king and Sakurai's newcomer choices prioritized playable representation for new series over established series with a hardon for quirky/gimmicky characters, Chibi-Robo could have had a chance, but in Ultimate he just can't compete. Chibi-Robo's only hope is a big fan outcry for DLC, or Ultimate's DLC going on for a very long time with a ton of characters beyond the big hitters.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Also, unless Hitagi said something very recently, this is wrong.

Hitagi said Granblue Fantasy, NOT Dragalia Lost.

Cygames makes Granblue and Dragalia, and Granblue's the "Massively successful" one. Dragalia literally just came out.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The day a Dragalia Lost character gets into Smash is the day my cynicism grows so big it kills me.
Do you mind asking me why you say that? Not disagreeing with you in the slightest, just thought that was a funny way to describe your feelings towards the game XD.

Last edited by a moderator:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If Dragalia reached the success of Granblue, you'd better believe it'd get a character.

Too nascent to judge right now though.

Personally the game doesn't interest me. Then again I haven't played a mobile effort by Nintendo since GO, and that wasn't even really Nintendo.

Shroob

Sup?
Cygames is more or less Japan's version of VALVe or Blizzard when you want to talk about them having 'massive IPs'.

Granblue rakes in billions of yen a month on average.

They have access to all the mobile Idolm@ster games.

And they make Shadowverse, aka anime Hearthstone that's on Steam.

Now that Nintendo's partnered with them for Dragalia, if Dragalia does do well, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see a Cygames character in Smash as DLC, the company and its IPs are bloody massive in Japan.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Do you mind asking me why you say that? Not disagreeing with you in the slightest, just thought that was a funny way to describe your feelings towards the game XD.
Well let's just put it lightly and say I'm not a fan.

Holy ****, is it the most tripe, cliche anime garbage I've ever seen. On top of the fact it looks like every single high-fantasy thing on the planet, it also has heavy use of gashapon mechanics which I despise more than anything else. Games like that always, without exception, just make you want to suck money out of you for what basically amounts to .pngs or ****ty 3d models. It is the most blatant example I've ever seen of appealing to the absolute lowest denominator and I hate it.

Last edited:

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
Cygames is more or less Japan's version of VALVe or Blizzard when you want to talk about them having 'massive IPs'.

Now that Nintendo's partnered with them for Dragalia, if Dragalia does do well, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see a Cygames character in Smash as DLC, the company and its IPs are bloody massive in Japan.
ehhhhhh I wouldn't go so far as to call them Valve or Blizzard, not even close. If we're comparing them to Western devs they'd be around where the Angry Birds guys were in their heyday.

Shroob

Sup?
ehhhhhh I wouldn't go so far as to call them Valve or Blizzard, not even close. If we're comparing them to Western devs they'd be around where the Angry Birds guys were in their heyday.
I really can't make the comparison.

The closest they have is they both deal with mobile games, that's it.

Considering they also have, god knows how many manga, anime, music and other forms of media, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the company rakes in anywhere from 20 to 50 billion yen a month between all their ****.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

It'd surprise me as much as getting a Valve or Blizzard character. I don't think Nintendo would opt to add a third-party of such uneven global recognition.

Holy ****, is it the most tripe, cliche anime garbage I've ever seen. On top of the fact it looks like every single high-fantasy thing on the planet, it also has gashapon mechanics which I despise more than anything else. Games like that always, without exception, just make you want to suck money out of you for what basically amounts to .pngs or ****ty 3d models. It is the most blatant example I've ever seen of appealing to the absolute lowest denominator.
For better or for worse, Smash inclusion isn't predicated on any of those factors though.

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
I really can't make the comparison.

The closest they have is they both deal with mobile games, that's it.

Considering they also have, god knows how many manga, anime, music and other forms of media, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the company rakes in anywhere from 20 to 50 billion yen a month between all their ****.
Yeah but if we're being generous that still only puts them around where someone like Square Enix is, only minus the history. Blizzard is one of the largest Western developers ever, and Valve owns the uncontested largest platform for PC gaming. I'm not disputing that Cygames makes a lot of money but Valve probably makes more in a slow month than Cygames does all year.

D

Deleted member

Holy ****, is it the most tripe, cliche anime garbage I've ever seen. On top of the fact it looks like every single high-fantasy thing on the planet, it also has gashapon mechanics which I despise more than anything else. Games like that always, without exception, just make you want to suck money out of you for what basically amounts to .pngs or ****ty 3d models.
So you do not want it in because it's cliche anime?

Are...Are you me? Because I swear we have the same opinions on these kind of characters XD. Aside from Elma and Rex & Pyra, I prefer characters from series like Fire Emblem, Persona, and Senran Kagura out of Smash.

Basically this is me when comes to almost every anime-esque character request for Smash:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom