• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
If we have around 3 to 4 unique characters left, I could definitely see a Robin/Lucina type reveal happening. Remember, this time Sakurai had a much shorter time to reveal characters, which means less opportunities to reveal them. Smash 4 had E3, a bunch of Nintendo and Smash directs, and even secret characters. We aren't going to get another Nintendo Direct before Ultimate's release, and I assume we aren't getting more than one more smash direct. This would be the perfect time to drop a Character trailer and then announce the final direct date to keep people hyped.
Smash 4 actually had 3 E3s, if you count DLC.
The first E3, 2013, with the initial reveal: Villager, Megaman, and WFT.
The second E3, 2014, with Miis, Palutena, and PAC-MAN.
and the third E3, 2015, with Roy and Ryu
So 9 of Smash 4's newcomers were revealed at E3.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Ah that one, I mean, its very possible. It had to be OP that made that 2nd post right, simply because it was too fast to type?

Well then its one of 2 things. Either OP is legit, and Dante (and Ken) are the next logical Capcom characters joining smash. Or OP is legit about DMC V and just made a fake Smash leak because he's an evil person.

I think its 50/50 because 4chan is where **** like that happens unfortunately.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
So I was thinking about my own Yoshi comment earlier and uou know what would make Super Mario Odyssey 2 a 11/10 game?

What if one of the rewards for collecting power moons was more characters? First you get Luigi, then Peach, then Toad, each with their own Bonneter and their own signature abilities and weaknesses. Then you get Rosalina, because of 3D World, and Wario, because of Mario 64 DS. But you keep collecting new moons and then you start getting more surprising characters, like Daisy, Waluigi and Diddy Kong. And heck, throw in Pauline since she's popular now. Eventually you end up getting characters who don't have their own Cappy but have their own powerful abilities, like Yoshi who has his flutter jump and tongue and DK who has damaging rolls and roll jumps. Then your reward for 100%ing the game is the ability to play as Bowser. Then give the game a New Game+ so you can play it from scratch as any of those characters.

It's totally unrealistic and will certainly never happen, but I can dream. And uh, so this post remains Smash related, throw in Eario as a character to. Yeah. He can attack his enemies with a broom or something, I dunno. Just squeeze him in somehow.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
The Vergeben Saga has had one hell of a lucky/smart streak...and it probably won’t end until Smash Ultimate is released (dlc possibly included if he’s still in the rumor game)

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
At this point the only leak I'm taking seriously is the Ken leak. That being said, I wouldn't really mind there being only two characters left. I'm pretty roster satisfied as it is.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Watch Alm and Celica get announced for Smash Ultimate in the future as individually worked on Uniques. TBH you can't really have one without the other and both are actually the most relevant FE characters right now before Three Houses.

I'm going to die of laughter if it happens.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I'm honestly going to keep what @papagenos is saying about it, that Ken and Incineroar are possibly the next 2 characters revealed (possibly something to do with being both Fire-based fighters) and are the last 2 characters on the box. However, that would only be the final 2 based on the time the box is printed.

Meaning this supports the box theory being representative with 2 more characters, but it does not mean November can't reveal a few more hidden from the box artwork.
I'm still saying, even if Incineroar and Ken are the last ones on the Box, they better change that stupid pattern and make it like this:

Because even if the theory is true, the way they have it with the discontinuities, still makes it a stupid box. :p

osby

Smash Obsessed
Watch Alm and Celica get announced for Smash Ultimate in the future as individually worked on Uniques. TBH you can't really have one without the other and both are actually the most relevant FE characters right now before Three Houses.

Since two of our Lords are echoes, we can still have three unique FE characters to make a 8 player Smash: Celica, Alm and someone from Three Houses.

*sits back and readies popcorn*

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

Only Celica got added into Fire Emblem Warriors, a Fire Emblem spinoff, so it is definitely possible for one to get in without the other.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Did we all just decide all of a sudden that Chibi-Robo doesn't stand a chance? I feel like we never talk about him and he had a game come out during what we think is the right time for Smash consideration.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Did we all just decide all of a sudden that Chibi-Robo doesn't stand a chance? I feel like we never talk about him and he had a game come out during what we think is the right time for Smash consideration.
that game didn't sell well or have good critical reception. I think the chibi robo conversation has died for good reason. It's unfortunate he's had it rough and I don't expect him to get another game soon, let alone be in smash

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It was a game that failed massively.

I doubt it'd have any major consideration when selecting newcomers.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Completely unrelated to anything, but I liked seeing Bayonetta and Inkling side by side. Last newcomer of Smash For and first newcomer of Ultimate are both gun-wielding cheeky ladies.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
One of the problems with these leaks is that it throws so many interesting characters under the bus in lieu of the "hot new leak" (like my character, as I still feel like they have so much going for them in terms of likelihood). But I kinda just not reply when I see the same character brought up for the umpteenth time and silently murmur to myself.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Please do not double post. Edit your messages instead. :)
At this point the only leak I'm taking seriously is the Ken leak. That being said, I wouldn't really mind there being only two characters left. I'm pretty roster satisfied as it is.
Your entire signature desrves to be in Smash, especially those Mother characters and Agumon! But yeah, I'm happy as it is.

The sad thing about a game like Smash is that even though it brings so much nostalgia and joy, it also brings alot of salt and baggage to fans who "expect" their favorite characters to get in.

For example: I LOVE Porky and Masked Man. I believe they are the other half of the important Mother characters not in Smash. Will I be sad if they don't make it in this time? Of course, I'd have to wait another 5+ years for the possibility if they aren't DLC. However, I won't complain about it. There's not enough energy to waste on stupid stuff like that.

Only Celica got added into Fire Emblem Warriors, a Fire Emblem spinoff, so it is definitely possible for one to get in without the other.
Ah, yea thats right. I could also see him just being part of her FS anyway, leaving her to join as a character. Additionally, I'm pretty sure Celica is more popular anyway.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Alm missed out on Warriors, so its possible for him to miss out once more

osby

Smash Obsessed
One of the problems with these leaks is that it throws so many interesting characters under the bus in lieu of the "hot new leak" (like my character, as I still feel like they have so much going for them in terms of likelihood). But I kinda just not reply when I see the same character brought up for the umpteenth time and silently murmur to myself.
Even though it makes the speculation significantly more boring, I think getting ready for a few characters is a good thing. If there are more/different characters, nice suprise. If there isn't, at least we won't live the "these can't be last reveals" drama fourth time in a row.

But if you want to talk about a character spesifically, I'll probably say my mind on the matter anyway, because as I said, boring.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
On the one hand, I agree with all of the sentiments of "this is the best smash ever, even if my character doesn't make it in I'm happy" blaa blaa blaa. It's definitely true - this is an amazing game with an amazing roster as-is.

But on the other hand, I have so much invested in Shadow getting in that if he doesn't get in at all for smash 5, I will be incredibly devastated and angry. It make SO much ****ing sense, nearly everyone expects him to get in, and yet I feel like Sakurai has it out to specifically destroy my hopes every time.

At the very least, he included K Rool, which was one of my top picks last time. But I don't want any snark from people if Shadow doesn't make it and I get really sad and upset about it - I've wanted him for two smash games now, and not having him when he would fit absolutely perfectly into an echo role would make me question why I even bother any more hoping for anything good from Sakurai.

It's not over till the last direct rolls and the last DLC is announced, but I just have this sinking feeling that none of who I want is going to make it. And it ****ing sucks. :( My enthusiasm is near all time lows though the news coming up gives me a slight glimmer of hope that the box theory is wrong and we could see about 3 or 4 more characters announced.

I hope you guys understand and I hope I won't say things I regret if/when I get disappointed again.

osby

Smash Obsessed
On the one hand, I agree with all of the sentiments of "this is the best smash ever, even if my character doesn't make it in I'm happy" blaa blaa blaa. It's definitely true - this is an amazing game with an amazing roster as-is.

But on the other hand, I have so much invested in Shadow getting in that if he doesn't get in at all for smash 5, I will be incredibly devastated and angry. It make SO much ****ing sense, nearly everyone expects him to get in, and yet I feel like Sakurai has it out to specifically destroy my hopes every time.

At the very least, he included K Rool, which was one of my top picks last time. But I don't want any snark from people if Shadow doesn't make it and I get really sad and upset about it - I've wanted him for two smash games now, and not having him when he would fit absolutely perfectly into an echo role would make me question why I even bother any more hoping for anything good from Sakurai.

It's not over till the last direct rolls and the last DLC is announced, but I just have this sinking feeling that none of who I want is going to make it. And it ****ing sucks. :( My enthusiasm is near all time lows though the news coming up gives me a slight glimmer of hope that the box theory is wrong and we could see about 3 or 4 more characters announced.

I hope you guys understand and I hope I won't say things I regret if/when I get disappointed again.
Dude, it's kinda on the SEGA to allow/not allow Shadow even if Sakurai wants him. I think you are directing your potential disappointment to wrong place.

Noipoi

Howdy!

Don't blame Sakurai, blame Sega.

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
Chibi-Robo is easily my #1 most wanted but he's such a D list IP that I don't think he was on Sakurai's radar. The fact that Zip-lash came out in late 2015 is the one thing he has going for him and the fact that it was a critical failure (also I think probably a commercial failure based on what Nintendo said about it) puts a huge asterisk on that. I'll still hold on hope but I'm absolutely not expecting anything.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
The sad thing about a game like Smash is that even though it brings so much nostalgia and joy, it also brings alot of salt and baggage to fans who "expect" their favorite characters to get in.

For example: I LOVE Porky and Maked Man. I believe they are the other half of the important Mother characters not in Smash. Will I be sad if they don't make it in this time? Of course, I'd have to wait another 5+ years for the possibility if they aren't DLC. However, I won't complain about it. There's not enough energy to waste on stupid stuff like that.
Yeah, it kinda stings when a character you're gunning for doesn't get in, but that doesn't mean the game's going to be "ruined" like how some people reacted when Isabelle got revealed and not Geno/Isaac/Skull Kid/Banjo.

Also it's good to see another Agumon fan lol!

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion

For example: I LOVE Porky and Masked Man. I believe they are the other half of the important Mother characters not in Smash. Will I be sad if they don't make it in this time? Of course, I'd have to wait another 5+ years for the possibility if they aren't DLC. However, I won't complain about it. There's not enough energy to waste on stupid stuff like that.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Dude, it's kinda on the SEGA to allow/not allow Shadow even if Sakurai wants him. I think you are directing your potential disappointment to wrong place.
>allows Tails and Knuckles outfits in Smash 4
>allows Knuckles as assist trophy
>...doesn't allow Shadow to be playable

???

Sega not wanting Shadow? Of course they'd want him in. It's up to Sakurai to ask Sega and if he doesn't want him in in the first place because "**** amazonevan19" then I have every right to blame him.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

???

Sega not wanting Shadow? Of course they'd want him in. It's up to Sakurai to ask Sega and if he doesn't want him in in the first place because "**** amazonevan19" then I have every right to blame him.
It's okay to be disappointed, but I think you're taking this personally.

Don't take it personally.

Shroob

Sup?

???

Dude, chill.

I know I'm going to sound super harsh in saying this but, you're not special.

There are going to be HUNDREDS of fanbases sad that their character didn't get in, and you're already on the verge of throwing a tantrum.

Take a step back and just, breathe, Relax, okay?

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Yeah, I saw that post. Even gave it one of those fancy little "likes." That doesn't mean I don't have emotions and a extremely reasonable expectation of Shadow eventually making it.

Porky and Masked Man are characters I feel only have a marginal chance of making it, and putting so much stock into them would be foolish. Whereas Shadow is a character who hardcore deserves it and is widely expected to make it in.

Smash 5 won't be ruined if only part or none of my desired characters make it. I am really going to enjoy it for what it is. But I'd be lying if I were to say I wouldn't be infernally salty in the aftermath.

hposter

Smash Apprentice

???

fellow shadowbro, all i can tell you is hope for the best, expect the worst
the only way i don't see shadow making it in is if that whole 3-game contract for the wii u really pissed sega off that much
(not even sure if that was related to smash bros, though)

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Even though it makes the speculation significantly more boring, I think getting ready for a few characters is a good thing. If there are more/different characters, nice suprise. If there isn't, at least we won't live the "these can't be last reveals" drama fourth time in a row.

But if you want to talk about a character spesifically, I'll probably say my mind on the matter anyway, because as I said, boring.
True, but I guess it's because I'm one of the few who can have lowered expectations and high hopes--for many people, it seems like it's one or the other.

I don't expect much, because as I've said, I was hoping for a Smash 4 port so no characters would be cut. So every character back with the potential of more being added in DLC was more than enough. However, I've already set myself up for some disappointment--there are so many connections that made Banjo & Kazooie make so much sense for the game, but barely a peep from leakers. All I had this Smash cycle to cling to leak wise was possible Microsoft content in the game, and then that got flipped around in the most horrible way (no offense to his supporters, but that's how it felt emotionally).

Which is also why I understand why these characters get talked about ad nauseum--in the absence of a potentially real leak, there's not much concrete to talk about. But I can still keep my expectations low, while hoping the roller coaster of a hype cycle ends on a high note so it wasn't all for nothing*.

*not the game itself, like I said, it was the best at E3, talking specifically about the hype cycle itself.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Screw Shadow, promote the OG rival, Knuckles.

Then I can slap "& Knuckles" on the smash logo.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master

???

My most wanted character is Tails. So in terms of standings/chance, my most wanted is in a similar situation to Shadow (Even if yeah Shadow would be easier to get in first as an echo)

Though even if Sakurai for some reason outright personally messaged me tomorrow that "Tails will never be playable in Smash Bros."

I could deal with that, cause I still have Sonic himself for 11 years and counting.

But I do hope we both get what we want. Barring Shadow being in the base game, A Tails & Shadow DLC pack would be incredibly ideal for all Sonic fans.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Yeah I know I'm not special, but I can't help but take it personally if it doesn't happen. This smash cycle has been really draining since Isabelle's announcement.

I suppose I should look at all the great things that we are getting instead of what we (might) not get. :) But it's really hard having your hopes driven so low because of theories and leaks. Pessimism is kicking in when I should be grateful for what we've gotten.

Sorry for bothering you with my rant but I just had to get my fears out there.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Yeah, I saw that post. Even gave it one of those fancy little "likes." That doesn't mean I don't have emotions and a extremely reasonable expectation of Shadow eventually making it.

Porky and Masked Man are characters I feel only have a marginal chance of making it, and putting so much stock into them would be foolish. Whereas Shadow is a character who hardcore deserves it and is widely expected to make it in.

Smash 5 won't be ruined if only part or none of my desired characters make it. I am really going to enjoy it for what it is. But I'd be lying if I were to say I wouldn't be infernally salty in the aftermath.
You liked it after I quoted you lol. Anyway that's not important. What is important is to stop believing thinking your favorite characters deserve to be in. Shadow is no more deserving of inclusion than any of the characters I could want in Smash, and vice versa. Its a very narrow minded way to think about this game. You have to remember smash is dedicated to a massive fanbase, much moreso than just Sonic fans, especially since Sonic is 3rd party game. Be happy that he himself is actually in Smash.

Last edited:

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
I was hoping Knuckles would make it, but he got the AT treatment. His AT looks ready made for smash 6 though. Tails and Shadow DLC pack would be ****ing amazing and though I'm not a huge Tails fan, I can definitely support his cause of getting in to smash in solidarity with other Sonic fans!

But I shouldn't get my hopes too high like I have been this whole cycle. Sega makes dumb decisions and frankly, Sakurai sometimes does too IMHO.

But I "haven't made a game" and I can't pretend to know the first thing about the stress, the strenuous work, and the host of factors he is considering, and while I disagree with him on some things, he overall has gifted the world with one of the best video game franchises ever.

Thanks for helping me talk (type) through this...I apologize for being an attention ***** but I needed to think it through a bit instead of letting anger get to me...over a POSSIBILITY...lmao

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah I know I'm not special, but I can't help but take it personally if it doesn't happen. This smash cycle has been really draining since Isabelle's announcement.

Were that any of us were so important as to even be an afterthought to Sakurai.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

I suppose I should look at all the great things that we are getting instead of what we (might) not get. :) But it's really hard having your hopes driven so low because of theories and leaks. Pessimism is kicking in when I should be grateful for what we've gotten.

Sorry for bothering you with my rant but I just had to get my fears out there.
Your rant didn't bother me, as I feel the same in a way. You can think a character makes perfect sense, and if it's possible, then it seems reasonable to want to expect it. You are special, though--you get to decide if Ultimate is ultimately (heh heh) worth your money, with or without Shadow. If it's worth it, great. If not, nobody can tell you otherwise (not saying that's the case for you, but whenever people talk about entitlement that's my first criticism). Indeed nobody is entitled to a character, but likewise Nintendo isn't entitled to a sale. It can be difficult, though, when you're in the middle and while it's still worth it for you, it still feels like something's "missing". That third option is how I feel with Shadow--I can get Ultimate even if he's not revealed, but it would still feel like such a missed opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom