• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Silver Sonic is too small to be a boss.

And what the hell is a “Black Doom”? Sounds dirty.
Main antagonist of Shadow the Hedgehog.
I know...but does Sega remember that thing?
Black Doom is the antagonist of Shadow the Hedgehog.
Putting in Black Doom but not Shadow? Black Doom was only ever relevant in the Shadow game 13 years ago and never used again after that.

Eggman makes the most sense for a Sonic villain but he'll probably be a boss. Knuckles is the best pick for a newcomer imo but he's assist, leaving Tails as the next best newcomer and Shadow as an echo. What path do you all think Sakurai is going to take...a harder path (making a new character) that will piss off Shadow fans, or the easy route that will please the larger part of the Sonic fanbase and makes the most sense to promote the echoes concept even further? I'm not opposed to Tails (in fact, I'd like for him to be in), but thinking both he and Shadow will get in is very wishful thinking IMO. DLC maybe.

Sakurai could likely not put any new sonic character in base and have one or both Shadow and Tails as DLC. But I'd hope for Shadow as base echo and Tails as DLC newcomer as the best outcome

Edit: Forgot a word
I got the game when it originally released. Black Doom, though...when was the last time Sega acknowledged him? Even Zavok is more memorable.
And the original Tiger Mask was an orphan who became a heel Wrestler that went face after an orphan from his orphange wanted to become a villain, correct me if im wrong but doesnt King II have that to his backstory as well?
Shadow the Hedgehog (the game) sits at a funny place. Everything that happened in it for Shadow (the end of the amnesia storyline, him becoming a GUN Agent, the Commander's existance) all carried over from that game, but because everyone likes to meme on it Sega themselves slipped it into the Spinoff category.
Honestly, the game gets alot more hate than it deserves, Out of the Adventure generation of games it was probably the one that aged the most gracefully and was a pretty decent game still to this day, but ya know Edgehog

IT also helps in its favor the next game right after it was a dumpster fire, and now Sonic Boom exists.
SEGA doesn't really want anybody to remember Black Doom, he was barred from making a physical appearance in the comics. When the reboot came around writer Ian Flynn had to make a successor for him just to use the Black Arms finally.

A fun bit of trivia for you: Black Doom's English VA Sean Schemmel is also the voice of Lucario from Smash 4 onwards.
Personally, I find Black Doom to be a memorable villain, though it helps that he came around when I was in middle school, lol. Also, I really want to hear Sean Schemmel sing this as Black Doom:

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I’ll give a crack at dream DLC lineups too assuming Incineroar and Ken are it for base. Also this will not have anyone who can be considered “deconfirmed” in any way (so no Viridi, Fiora (:(), Lip etc)

Uniques:
Elma (Xenoblade)
Rex & Pyra (Xenoblade)
Bandana Waddle Dee (Kirby)
Lloyd Irving (Tales of Symphonia)
Shantae (Shantae)
Neku Sakuraba (The World Ends With You)
Isaac (Golden Sun)
Twintelle (ARMS)
Total: 7 8

Semi-clones:
Celica (Fire Emblem; of Robin)
Black Shadow (F-Zero; of Captain Falcon)
Shadow (Sonic, of well...this should be obvious lmao)
Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong; of Diddy)
Total: 4

Echoes:
Impa (Legend of Zelda; of Sheik)
Octoling (Splatoon; of Inkling)
Zack Fair (Final Fantasy VII; of Cloud)
Medusa (Kid Icarus; of Palutena)

Grand total: 15 16

Rate, debate, whatever

Last edited:

monadoboy

Smash Lord
All this Incineroar hate from westerners who dont know any better. We really are such uncultured swine to not recognize
Being a reference to something doesn't suddenly fix their awful design tho

Those hands looks like a kid drew them. That ugly red neckbeard looks awful and they looks like they skip leg day since they were born. Incineroar is one of those Pokemon that the more I see the less they look like a Pokemon. How they went from Litten to this...thing is beyond me. I really can't stomach this design. The in-game model in SM is even worse. I very rarely dislike a design (I even like Rex's design) but this? I can't, it's Barbaracle/Simipour/Mr. Mime levels of bad without Mr. Mime's charms. Sorry to those who like Incineroar. If the hands weren't such an aberration, and their face looked like a face instead of a cat/octopus hybrid stuck in a bodybuilder I'd love it.

If they do get in I hope the moveset's beyond fantastic to make up for losing Decidueye, Lycanroc and all the amazing gen 7 Pokemon for this thing.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I’ll give a crack at dream DLC lineups too assuming Incineroar and Ken are it for base. Also this will not have anyone who can be considered “deconfirmed” in any way (so no Viridi, Fiora (:(), Lip etc)

Uniques:
Elma (Xenoblade)
Rex & Pyra (Xenoblade)
Bandana Waddle Dee (Kirby)
Lloyd Irving (Tales of Symphonia)
Neku Sakuraba (The World Ends With You)
Isaac (Golden Sun)
Twintelle (ARMS)
Total: 7

Semi-clones:
Celica (Fire Emblem; of Robin)
Black Shadow (F-Zero; of Captain Falcon)
Shadow (Sonic, of well...this should be obvious lmao)
Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong; of Diddy)

Echoes:
Impa (Legend of Zelda; of Sheik)
Octoling (Splatoon; of Inkling)
Zack Fair (Final Fantasy VII; of Cloud)
Medusa (Kid Icarus; of Palutena)

Grand total: 15

Rate, debate, whatever
Wait, how is Lip deconfirmed?!?

Noipoi

Howdy!

Those hands looks like a kid drew them. That ugly red neckbeard looks awful and they looks like they skip leg day since they were born. Incineroar is one of those Pokemon that the more I see the less they look like a Pokemon. How they went from Litten to this...thing is beyond me. I really can't stomach this design. The in-game model in SM is even worse. I very rarely dislike a design (I even like Rex's design) but this? I can't, it's Barbaracle/Simipour/Mr. Mime levels of bad without Mr. Mime's charms. Sorry to those who like Incineroar. If the hands weren't such an aberration, and their face looked like a face instead of a cat/octopus hybrid stuck in a bodybuilder I'd love it.

If they do get in I hope the moveset's beyond fantastic to make up for losing Decidueye, Lycanroc and all the amazing gen 7 Pokemon for this thing.
He's a beautiful boy and I won't stand for this slander.

Iridium

Smash Hero

I get a Tom & Jerry feel when I look at his hands...and that's not a bad thing at all.

the **** is a barbaracle
This, unless you're joking. Gen VI, man. A little bit weird.

Last edited:

Chrono.

People will hate Incineroar now but once they see he gets a ton of charm via gameplay/trailer they'll turn around.

MainJPW

M.T.A
The Zeti are so forgettable you can't even get their name right. :laugh:
Sonic Team couldn’t even give them a proper send off at the end of the game. The Deadly Six just disappear after getting defeated like *poof* and then Eggman makes an off-hand comment about controlling them again before comically falling off a cliff as if they’re supposed to make another appearance somewhere down the line.

If they do show up redesign them (they come straight from Mario) and give each of them a less generic personality. Did they get a trophy in Smash 3DS?

D

Deleted member

Also, am I the only one who thinks Freddy in Smash is ridiculous? I’d say FNAF’s a good game, but that doesn’t mean it needs a crossover with a fighting game.

Chrono.

Sonic Team couldn’t even give them a proper send off at the end of the game. The Deadly Six just disappear after getting defeated like *poof* and then Eggman makes an off-hand comment about controlling them again before comically falling off a cliff as if they’re supposed to make another appearance somewhere down the line.

If they do show up redesign them (they come straight from Mario) and give each of them a less generic personality. Did they get a trophy in Smash 3DS?
They got a Trophy in the Wii U version.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Also, am I the only one who thinks Freddy in Smash is ridiculous? I’d say FNAF’s a good game, but that doesn’t mean it needs a crossover with a fighting game.
I'm pretty sure no one seriously thinks about Freddy in Smash.
Ironically maybe, but not legitimately.

Unless they're like 7, but that can be excused. kids will be kids, y'know?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm pretty sure no one seriously thinks about Freddy in Smash.
Ironically maybe, but not legitimately.

Unless they're like 7, but that can be excused. kids will be kids, y'know?
Yeah. (Yeah, my saying that is ironic sense I do have a FNAF icon.) I do think the majority of people wanting Freddy in Smash are indeed kids, but he “technically” has a fanbase, so I figured I’d share my thoughts.

Also, here’s something to consider. Chrom is a Roy echo, and Roy’s our boy, so does that mean Chrom’s our... Mom?

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
What fairly-to-super-obscure characters would you guys be most excited to see in Smash?

I mentioned him in passing a while back, but the Ninja from I-Ninja would make me pretty stoked.

In addition, Jenosa Arma from Scourge Hive (the definitely not Metroid Fusion game) would be killer.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
That still even a thing, i thought MatPat moved on to a diff indie game to make bank off of so he doesn't have to do research anymore.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
It's not wrong wanting Freddy Fazzbear, it's just a consensus within Smash that it's weird.
Most Smash fans are more into first party, and old school content.

D

Deleted member

It's not wrong wanting Freddy Fazzbear, it's just a consensus within Smash that it's weird.
Exactly. I’m thinking the majority of people who want Freddy are really young kids, and niw his fanbase has died down, sense the FNAF hype was mostly in 2014.

That still even a thing, i thought MatPat moved on to a diff indie game to make bank off of so he doesn't have to do research anymore.
MatPat moved in from FNAF as the game series ended.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
There's very Few Characters (Goku) who its objectively wrong to want in Smash (Goku) and will never and SHOULD never be in Smash (Goku) lest it turns into Mugen the Video Game and loses what made it Special (Goku).

Though i cant for the life of me remember any.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
True, most people who idealy would want Freddy (or any FNAF) would most likely be young.
I don't mind that. Smash is for kids, but it's also for adults.

It's the same with Steve from Minecraft. I was quite anti-Steve for Smash for a long time, but now I won't mind.
Old schoolers just got K. Rool, Simon Belmont and Ridley. Isabelle, Daisy and Inkling for the modern Nintendo fan.
Why should the young generation not get a win? I mean, Minecraft has been out for so long that gamers like me know about it, and have adapted. I'd rather have Steve, over Angry Bird, Roblox or Freddy to be honest, but I don't think it's wrong to want these at all, but that the supporters are often associated to be of the younger generation.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
True, most people who idealy would want Freddy (or any FNAF) would most likely be young.
I don't mind that. Smash is for kids, but it's also for adults.

It's the same with Steve from Minecraft. I was quite anti-Steve for Smash for a long time, but now I won't mind.
Old schoolers just got K. Rool, Simon Belmont and Ridley. Isabelle, Daisy and Inkling for the modern Nintendo fan.
Why should the young generation not get a win? I mean, Minecraft has been out for so long that gamers like me know about it, and have adapted. I'd rather have Steve, over Angry Bird, Roblox or Freddy to be honest, but I don't think it's wrong to want these at all, but that the supporters are often associated to be of the younger generation.
Most kids moved on from all those games ages ago, its Fortnite that the kids are into currently and even thats on its way out. Kids move on remarkably fast from these things hence why having a character in specifically for them would be rather difficult.

Chrono.

What fairly-to-super-obscure characters would you guys be most excited to see in Smash?

I mentioned him in passing a while back, but the Ninja from I-Ninja would make me pretty stoked.

In addition, Jenosa Arma from Scourge Hive (the definitely not Metroid Fusion game) would be killer.
I think Ray 01 counts at this point.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Most kids moved on from all those games ages ago, its Fortnite that the kids are into currently and even thats on its way out. Kids move on remarkably fast from these things hence why having a character in specifically for them would be rather difficult.
That won't help.
Fortnite is far out of reach onto the project plan for Ultimate.
You got to remember what was hot in 2015.

Last edited:

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
There's very Few Characters (Goku) who its objectively wrong to want in Smash (Goku) and will never and SHOULD never be in Smash (Goku) lest it turns into Mugen the Video Game and loses what made it Special (Goku).

Though i cant for the life of me remember any.
Superman comes to mind.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I feel like Goku and Master Chief are the only "out there" external characters who could someday work directly by virtue of how iconic they are. (In exactly the same way as Cloud, though these two are much more "out there" than he was.)

Mario vs. Sonic
Link vs. Cloud
Samus vs. Master Chief
Goku vs. Any of the Above

Smash is the playground argument given life, and these were the ultimate, be-all-end-all playground arguments. Our parents had Batman vs. Superman and Marvel Anyone vs. DC Anyone, but this was the form of our wars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom